The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #976
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
I actually have some pretty high expectations because a lot of people that I've spoken with outside of the comic world seem to expect it to be like the Dark Knight with Superman. That's obviously not the case, but if people are expecting something like that then it's should have a strong opening. The rest is up to the quality of story.
I think what we are going to get will be more like Iron Man 1 and less like Batman Begins in regards to quality, storytelling, popcorn fun etc. I didn't think Batman Begins was all that fun and entertaining. Don't get me wrong it was good, but I really didn't become interested in the franchise until TDK. However, with Iron Man I was sold on the first film and was eagerly anticipating all of Marvel's subsequent films from that point. I think that is how MoS will be. It will be more epic like Iron Man and close to TDK, but better than BB in that regards.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #977
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
You also have to consider that puberty and things like that may also play apart in how fast super powers develop. A kid Clark had strength and speed, but we never saw him fly in STM in SR he could jump really far if I remember correctly. So it is also possible that not only time under a yellow sun can strengthen powers, but the maturity of the Kryptonian as well.

That's how I understood it as Smallville explaining in the first couple of seasons that as Clark matured rather than spent more time he could develop additional/stronger powers etc.

IMO there are many ways to explain the power levels, difference in power levels or how they work in regards to Superman/Kryptonians. As you say it could be an instant "off/on," or time spent absorbing, and/or puberty.

I agree though, anyway they explain it needs to be consistent and not lead to a deus ex machina.
I agree with your point, but they did hint at his ability to fly in StM while Clark was still in Smallville. My guess is that they wanted to save that sequence for when he first dawned the suit.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #978
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
I agree with your point, but they did hint at his ability to fly in StM while Clark was still in Smallville. My guess is that they wanted to save that sequence for when he first dawned the suit.
I agree that he possibly had the ability of flight while a teen in Smallville, but they may have been just waiting to show him flying until he got into the suit to make it that more profound. However, I think it is still open to interpretation and allows for directors to go in any direction.

Curious....was Supes ever shown flying as a child.

Wasn't he given a ring in the League of Heroes cartoon in order to make him fly or am I not remembering that correctly?

Last edited by Midnight Black; 12-21-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #979
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
I agree that he possibly had the ability of flight while a teen in Smallville, but they may have been just waiting to show him flying until he got into the suit to make it that more profound. However, I think it is still open to interpretation and allows for directors to go in any direction.

Curious....as Supes ever shown flying as a child.

Wasn't he given a ring in the League of Heroes cartoon in order to make him fly or am I not remembering that correctly?
I don't think that I've ever seen it, heh. Originally when he came from a world of superpowered beings I'm sure it was the case, but I haven't actually seen it.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #980
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
I don't think that I've ever seen it, heh. Originally when he came from a world of superpowered beings I'm sure it was the case, but I haven't actually seen it.
But on his home planet none of the people had powers. They were just regular people, but an advanced civilization that had been around longer than Earthlings (old sci-fi homage lol).

I know in STM Jor-El said that Earth's atmosphere and gravity would give Supes more dexterity and strength due to his Kryptonian Anatomy, but I can't remember if he said that he knew there was a yellow sun in that solar system AND if he knew/suspected that the effects would grant even greater super powers. Can anyone clarify?

I do remember Zod being surprised by the effects of Earth. So IMO if he was then I'm guessing even Jor-El did not know how powerful or what effects the yellow sun would have on Kryptonians.

Additionally, in STM how did the phantom zone glass break? Was it a satellite or asteroid? Cause I vaguely remember the three Krypts lol flying first and then using strength and heat vision. So unless they absorbed some yellow sun while in the glass, STM suggests that it doesn't take long for Krypts to reach their max power levels or at least gain flight. Which might support that flight is dependent upon maturity/age rather than time spent absorbing UV rays.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #981
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
You also have to consider that puberty and things like that may also play apart in how fast super powers develop.
Maybe. And to further argue against myself along those lines…

The (full) powers could be instantaneous. But a clueless/naïve Clark might take years to discover each of them.

Whereas, a Kryptonian criminal (who, by some pretext, knew about the “science” of yellow suns) would have a big head-start.

Now in MOS, perhaps Zod is depowered - but gains the upper hand via his high-tech armor. Though... does Faora have armor too? Rumor is that she’s a formidable fighter.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #982
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
But on his home planet none of the people had powers. They were just regular people, but an advanced civilization that had been around longer than Earthlings (old sci-fi homage lol).

I know in STM Jor-El said that Earth's atmosphere and gravity would give Supes more dexterity and strength due to his Kryptonian Anatomy, but I can't remember if he said that he knew there was a yellow sun in that solar system AND if he knew/suspected that the effects would grant even greater super powers. Can anyone clarify?

I do remember Zod being surprised by the effects of Earth. So IMO if he was then I'm guessing even Jor-El did not know how powerful or what effects the yellow sun would have on Kryptonians.

Additionally, in STM how did the phantom zone glass break? Was it a satellite or asteroid? Cause I vaguely remember the three Krypts lol flying first and then using strength and heat vision. So unless they absorbed some yellow sun while in the glass, STM suggests that it doesn't take long for Krypts to reach their max power levels or at least gain flight. Which might support that flight is dependent upon maturity/age rather than time spent absorbing UV rays.
I was referencing the Fleischer cartoons. Those didn't reference the Red Sun vs Yellow Sun. Only that he came from a planet of super people.

Onto the phantom zone breaking in SM2, it broken when Superman pull the Eiffel Tower elevator holding a bomb into space and exploded.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #983
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
I was referencing the Fleischer cartoons. Those didn't reference the Red Sun vs Yellow Sun. Only that he came from a planet of super people.

Onto the phantom zone breaking in SM2, it broken when Superman pull the Eiffel Tower elevator holding a bomb into space and exploded.
Right, didn't know you were speaking of the Fleischer cartoons. I forgot that.

So how do you think Metropolis will look in this film? Will it just be New York or will it go the Singer Route and mix 40/50s New York with modern day? That is probably one of the only things I liked about SR, is that Singer mixed the look up, but fell short compared to how Batman '89 was portrayed.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #984
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Right, didn't know you were speaking of the Fleischer cartoons. I forgot that.

So how do you think Metropolis will look in this film? Will it just be New York or will it go the Singer Route and mix 40/50s New York with modern day? That is probably one of the only things I liked about SR, is that Singer mixed the look up, but fell short compared to how Batman '89 was portrayed.
I agree with you about what Singer did with his Metropolis. It looked great. I'd prefer they create their own city, rather than just rip off an existing one. It worked for TDKR in using Pittsburgh, but I typically feel like it pulls us out of the immersion.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #985
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
I agree with you about what Singer did with his Metropolis. It looked great. I'd prefer they create their own city, rather than just rip off an existing one. It worked for TDKR in using Pittsburgh, but I typically feel like it pulls us out of the immersion.
How so? You mean by using an existing city and not altering it or creating a new city from multiple cities? I liked that Gotham was a combination of Pittsburgh, Chicago and still had elements of New York without any really being shown.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #986
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Personally I like the "powers developing over time" approach.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #987
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
How so? You mean by using an existing city and not altering it or creating a new city from multiple cities? I liked that Gotham was a combination of Pittsburgh, Chicago and still had elements of New York without any really being shown.
A good example would be New York City being used as Metropolis in StM. It's obviously New York, so it didn't have the same feel as what we've seen in other media. Even the show Smallville did a good job of making it feel like Metropolis to me.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #988
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
A good example would be New York City being used as Metropolis in StM. It's obviously New York, so it didn't have the same feel as what we've seen in other media. Even the show Smallville did a good job of making it feel like Metropolis to me.
Okay that is what I hope you meant. I just read you statement wrong.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #989
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Okay that is what I hope you meant. I just read you statement wrong.
No worries. I really want to have that feeling of peeking into a new city.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #990
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
No worries. I really want to have that feeling of peeking into a new city.
Well since Singer paid homage to 30/50s New York and the old Superman serials and tv show with George Reeves I'm guessing they are going to go very modern similar to Nolan's Batman, but maybe even more futuristic. I don't want to see anything that looks like Minority Report or the new Total Recall, but I'm guessing that if and when we do see Lex his office will have the latest technology and things that aren't in use yet similar to how Tony Stark had gadgets that weren't common.

I really want to see a lot of tall glass sky-scrapers so that the light can bounce off and produce beautiful images. As opposed to Batman I really want to see some beautiful skies and use of sun similar to what Singer did.

Wow that's my second compliment to Singer and I hate him as a superhero director lol.

Last edited by Midnight Black; 12-21-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #991
GreenKToo
In the fire

I'd like to see Metropolis be a blend of made up CG buildings mixed in with some real buildings/landmarks from around the world. You could use NYC as the basis, just build around it.
I want it to look fimilar, yet different and HUGE.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #992
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

I do hope Snyder's Metropolis has a more "distinct" feel to it than Nolan's Gotham.

Burton's Gotham felt like a character in and of itself. Nolan's Gotham kind of lacked that.

even Schumacher's Gotham had more of a "neony" personality.

now, granted, Burton's or Schumacher's Gothams wouldn't have fit the tone of Nolan's Bat films. But, his Gotham did feel a bit generic, like any other large city in the US.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #993
DarkKnight FTW
Lantern Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I do hope Snyder's Metropolis has a more "distinct" feel to it than Nolan's Gotham.

Burton's Gotham felt like a character in and of itself. Nolan's Gotham kind of lacked that.

even Schumacher's Gotham had more of a "neony" personality.

now, granted, Burton's or Schumacher's Gothams wouldn't have fit the tone of Nolan's Bat films. But, his Gotham did feel a bit generic, like any other large city in the US.
I believe that was the effect he was going for, thus making it feel even more realistic.

CBM: BatLantern28
Twitter: Illusive_Man_1
XBL: DarkKnight FTW
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #994
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Ok, so less than 30 minutes to kiss it all godbye. Is everybody happy?

Last edited by Rust; 12-21-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #995
GreenKToo
In the fire

i'm skeered...hold me.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #996
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

No man... real men die alone...

Old 12-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #997
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight FTW View Post
I believe that was the effect he was going for, thus making it feel even more realistic.
Exactly, even if one didn't like it, he captured what he wanted to achieve.

And I actually believe MoS will take a similar realistic approach. I guess it isn't as bothersome to me as a non-american. It makes it more tangible.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
Old 12-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #998
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Aw man, I'm still here...

Old 12-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #999
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Aw man, I'm still here...
Me too. I guess only Scandinavia survived the apocalypse?

Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #1000
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight FTW View Post
I agree. There was a shot of Manhattan in TDKR that Nolan didn't even try to disguise - even the under-construction One World Trade Center was visible.

Closed Thread