The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #151
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe
 
Midnight Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Circle City (Naptown)
Posts: 3,248
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMartien View Post
stop quoting a large image when you are the first to reply...
Stop bashing other posters when you have been a member since 2005 and only have 42 posts.

__________________
Indiana Hype Group: http://forums.superherohype.com/group.php?groupid=141

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Midnight Black is offline  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #152
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Sky
Posts: 41,363
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMartien View Post
stop quoting a large image when you are the first to reply...
Hello.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #153
LeMartien
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 101
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

ok i edit my wish : why did you quote the image if you are the first to reply ?

i cant debate with you, my english is not so good to answer good stuff that's explain my 42 posts
but since 2005 i read all oyour comments and its boring to see the same quoted image all in the way

sorry


Last edited by LeMartien; 12-28-2012 at 10:24 AM.
LeMartien is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #154
spiderliam
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: North east of england
Posts: 68
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

I'm with LeMartien on this.

spiderliam is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #155
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.
 
TheIrishAvenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 6,855
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Who cares?

__________________
"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR
7.11.14



TheIrishAvenger is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #156
Slugster
the Slugster
 
Slugster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,064
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

As a bit of a manipper myself I like it when someone re-post my stuff because its some what of a rewarding complement.

__________________
Slugster___
Slugster is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #157
Slugster
the Slugster
 
Slugster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,064
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

oh and I only have 1044 post so far lol!!!

__________________
Slugster___
Slugster is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #158
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick
 
SuperMike335!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,465
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9





Model used was Danish Actor Kim Kold.

Yes actor. He is retired from competitive bodybuilding now, former Danish National Champion, speaks English very well, and even starred in a well received Sundance Film, and if you look up the short film "Dennis" as well as the follow up full film "Teddy Bear", if interested and you will find him to be a surprisingly good actor, who has a very good ability to emote and has an incredible screen presence.

He has the looks of a Villain, and likely if the MOS series ever does have Darkseid the character would be full CG.

Personally I am a big fan of practical effects, and being that in the movie 300 Snyder was able to make a 62" actor look 8ft tall, then he could easily make 64" Kim Kold look like he is also 8ft tall.

Even if it is a mixture of effects, and some CG, Kim Kolds body and face has a striking resemblance to Darkseid and they could do a lot worse than use him as a Basis for a fleshed out Darkseid.

SuperMike335!! is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #159
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

I seriously hope (and expect) they'll look slightly beyond physique at first if they're doing Darkseid in one of the sequels or in the JL-movie. He should be a combination of several elements and not just a big actor in make-up. That's the Smallville-way. And casting body-builders is just... ugh.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 02:49 AM   #160
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust
 
Kryptonian Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 4,591
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I seriously hope (and expect) they'll look slightly beyond physique at first if they're doing Darkseid in one of the sequels or in the JL-movie. He should be a combination of several elements and not just a big actor in make-up. That's the Smallville-way. And casting body-builders is just... ugh.
Meh, who cares if they can act. It's all about the looks. "Didn't you get the memo?"

__________________
My Ever Growing Blu Ray Collection

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is online now  
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #161
herolee10
Ultimate Hero
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,061
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

If they can make someone like Thanos work with old fashioned prosthetic and makeup, then I don't think Darkseid should be that much harder to do as well.

herolee10 is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #162
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
If they can make someone like Thanos work with old fashioned prosthetic and makeup, then I don't think Darkseid should be that much harder to do as well.
True, but we havent really seen Thanos yet, have we? Only his face and an arm. And that guy's not playing him again. Expect a different approach next time.

I consider that post-credits scene in Avengers a fan-easter-egg thing and a test-shot. I doubt it dictates anything other than Thanos being in the sequel.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"

Last edited by Rust; 12-29-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Rust is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #163
GoblinWhirlwind
Friend to Captain Solo
 
GoblinWhirlwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Land of the '3 Suns'
Posts: 9,403
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Thanos was prosthetics and makeup? I figured he was mo-cap CGI.

__________________
"Toby has been cruising for a bruising for 12 years, and
I am now his cruise director, and my name is Captain Bruising."

- Michael Scott
GoblinWhirlwind is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #164
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Pretty sure that was make-up with some CGI-tweaks.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #165
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick
 
SuperMike335!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,465
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
And casting body-builders is just... ugh.
So, in other words you are saying if someone has a bodybuilding background they should not be in any movies, even if they can act?

SuperMike335!! is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #166
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
So, in other words you are saying if someone has a bodybuilding background they should not be in any movies, even if they can act?
No, of course not. I've just yet to see a bodybuilder turn out a great actor. And whenever I see someone suggest bodybuilders it's always first and foremost because they're big, muscular and awesome looking, putting the acting aside.

I've yet to see the entire movie (even though I'm also danish), but the scenes I have seen with Kim Kold doesnt strike me as someone with a lot of presence. But I dont know at all. But again, looking at his absurd build I assumed that's what you were going for.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #167
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick
 
SuperMike335!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,465
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
No, of course not. I've just yet to see a bodybuilder turn out a great actor. And whenever I see someone suggest bodybuilders it's always first and foremost because they're big, muscular and awesome looking, putting the acting aside.

I've yet to see the entire movie (even though I'm also danish), but the scenes I have seen with Kim Kold doesnt strike me as someone with a lot of presence. But I dont know at all. But again, looking at his absurd build I assumed that's what you were going for.

The whole movie is up on youtube.

The parts where he speaks english are when he is in Thailand, not that its a big deal for you if you speak his natural language.

His acting has been mentioned by a lot people. Look at the comments on his IMDB page, or just do a search for reviews of the movie.

Kim Kold the man does not behave anything like his Introvert character, that was all acting.

He has down the most critical part of acting, which is the ability to emote, with Facial expressions and Eyes.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/spout/teddy-bear-review

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...-review-285456

http://www.starkinsider.com/2012/01/...-festival.html

I was watching the movie, and realized its not just his inhuman physique, more Gorilla like than human, but his FACE also looks like Darkseid.

It could be the years of steroid abuse has done to him, resulting in a granite like mug.

Anyhow, the guy actually can act, at least well enough to be used in some capacity by a visual effects team. If he were used likely it would only be in some sort of visual capacity and greatly enhanced with CG. The benefit of having real muscles on a component of the visual effect is that they move in a natural way, and does not look like a rubber suit.

Have the make up/costume team go over him, add the visual effects used to make Xerxes look 9ft tall in 300, and you got a guy who really seems like Darkseid come to life.

Obviously he would need to make it past an audition, but his look (not just muscle but face) and talent he has so far shown should at least warrant him that. That is if they ever even would use a villain like Darkseid.

The funny thing is, even the people who have said that "its impossible for a bodybuilder to act" - none of them dissagree that his face had an odd resemblance to Darkseid.

Darkseid is also not quite as massive as characters like the Hulk, and Snyder DOES have a history using a bodybuilder for a body basis in the Watchmen, yes a middleweight bodybuilder was used for Dr.Manhattan's body. Just heavily enhanced with CG.

SuperMike335!! is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #168
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
The whole movie is up on youtube.

The parts where he speaks english are when he is in Thailand, not that its a big deal for you if you speak his natural language.

His acting has been mentioned by a lot people. Look at the comments on his IMDB page, or just do a search for reviews of the movie.

Kim Kold the man does not behave anything like his Introvert character, that was all acting.

He has down the most critical part of acting, which is the ability to emote, with Facial expressions and Eyes.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/spout/teddy-bear-review

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...-review-285456

http://www.starkinsider.com/2012/01/...-festival.html

I was watching the movie, and realized its not just his inhuman physique, more Gorilla like than human, but his FACE also looks like Darkseid.

It could be the years of steroid abuse has done to him, resulting in a granite like mug.

Anyhow, the guy actually can act, at least well enough to be used in some capacity by a visual effects team. If he were used likely it would only be in some sort of visual capacity and greatly enhanced with CG. The benefit of having real muscles on a component of the visual effect is that they move in a natural way, and does not look like a rubber suit.

Have the make up/costume team go over him, add the visual effects used to make Xerxes look 9ft tall in 300, and you got a guy who really seems like Darkseid come to life.

Obviously he would need to make it past an audition, but his look (not just muscle but face) and talent he has so far shown should at least warrant him that. That is if they ever even would use a villain like Darkseid.

The funny thing is, even the people who have said that "its impossible for a bodybuilder to act" - none of them dissagree that his face had an odd resemblance to Darkseid.

Darkseid is also not quite as massive as characters like the Hulk, and Snyder DOES have a history using a bodybuilder for a body basis in the Watchmen, yes a middleweight bodybuilder was used for Dr.Manhattan's body. Just heavily enhanced with CG.
If Kold can really act, then that's great. And yes, he really does have the face of Darkseid.

But I actually think he's too big, as in too bulging. His arms are just too big and bumpy. If Darkseid is to wear a uniform or armor, then Kold would just look too fat and clumsy in suit.

IMO it's not a matter of finding a big enough actor. Depending on their approach to visualize him, they could go with Jackie Earle Haley for all I care. If Darkseid is to be 8-9 feet tall, then obviously they'll have to blow him up via CGI anyway, so the physique of the actor playing him is therefore irrelavent. But there are numerous ways to how they could visualize him.
I think I'd prefer a fairly and appropriately sized actor in a greatly designed suit/armor and then blown up via computer like Xerxes in 300. They could also go with a great body-actor and have him voiced by Peter Cullen.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #169
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick
 
SuperMike335!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,465
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
If Kold can really act, then that's great. And yes, he really does have the face of Darkseid.

But I actually think he's too big, as in too bulging. His arms are just too big and bumpy. If Darkseid is to wear a uniform or armor, then Kold would just look too fat and clumsy in suit.

IMO it's not a matter of finding a big enough actor. Depending on their approach to visualize him, they could go with Jackie Earle Haley for all I care. If Darkseid is to be 8-9 feet tall, then obviously they'll have to blow him up via CGI anyway, so the physique of the actor playing him is therefore irrelavent. But there are numerous ways to how they could visualize him.
I think I'd prefer a fairly and appropriately sized actor in a greatly designed suit/armor and then blown up via computer like Xerxes in 300. They could also go with a great body-actor and have him voiced by Peter Cullen.
If they use a voice acor it HAS to Michael Ironside.

I still think Kold can be used in some of the visual effect, but obviously heavily enhanced.

As far as being too big (comical to think a human could get too big to play Darkseid), he can lose mass quickly if he needs to, he is not quite THAT big anymore, the manip picture was from his competition days. Looks more like this these days. He was like 320 with 6% bodyfat, now he is more lik 290 with about 10%.

He is also not as ripped either. From FF6:





I think he looks more like Darkseid than any human ever should. Its like the Lord of Apocalypse on vacation.

SuperMike335!! is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #170
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust
 
Kryptonian Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 4,591
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Michael Ironside is definitely not a bad choice, but I personally would prefer the Allstate guy, Dennis Haysbert. Dude has an imposing voice and would be an awesome voice for Darkseid.....


__________________
My Ever Growing Blu Ray Collection

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Kryptonian Warrior is online now  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #171
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

If Mark Strong is not Lex, then he should voice Darkseid. A different voice, no doubt, but adequately cold and calculative. They can pitch him in post.

I still dont think Kold is the right one. Maybe for body-double/reference for CGI, but otherwise I'd like a different approach.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #172
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick
 
SuperMike335!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,465
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
If Mark Strong is not Lex, then he should voice Darkseid. A different voice, no doubt, but adequately cold and calculative. They can pitch him in post.

I still dont think Kold is the right one. Maybe for body-double/reference for CGI, but otherwise I'd like a different approach.
I'd be more than happy to see him getting that much.

My voice actor is still Ironside, but Peter Dinklage should also get an Audition.

Obviously we are getting ahead of ourselves, first WB would need to actually pick Darkseid as a villain in the first place.

SuperMike335!! is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #173
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
I'd be more than happy to see him getting that much.

My voice actor is still Ironside, but Peter Dinklage should also get an Audition.

Obviously we are getting ahead of ourselves, first WB would need to actually pick Darkseid as a villain in the first place.
Haha, really?

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #174
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick
 
SuperMike335!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,465
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Haha, really?
He was the voice of the Villain in Iceage4.

I thought he WAS Ironside.

I was surprised to see it wasn't in the credits.

Not to mention the awesome Irony of a guy who 4'5" doing the voice of a guy who is 9ft tall.

SuperMike335!! is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #175
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
He was the voice of the Villain in Iceage4.

I thought he WAS Ironside.

I was surprised to see it wasn't in the credits.
Gotta check that out.

But yeah, there are many great voices out there. And soundwise you can also do wonders with actors who have great but not deep voices.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.