The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Actors from Original trilogy returning for a possible Days of Future past?
Ellen Page as Shadowcat 67 41.36%
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine 105 64.81%
Halle Berry as Storm 56 34.57%
Anna Paquin as Rogue 55 33.95%
James Marsden as Cyclops 82 50.62%
Ben Foster as Angel 28 17.28%
Kelsey Grammer as Beast 46 28.40%
Alan Cumming as Nightcrawler 49 30.25%
Shawn Ashmore as Iceman 48 29.63%
Famke Janssen as Jean Grey 64 39.51%
Taylor Kitsch as Gambit 39 24.07%
Daniel Cudmore as Colossus 44 27.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #276
JP
Smelly

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past - Par

You can assume that, or you can not, I suppose.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #277
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Not Jean .... But ugh, isn't the boy Scott?
He certainly has the "Slim" part covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Considering they deliberately opted not to use Storm, Jean and Cyclops in First Class, because they wouldn't have been born, then it seemed odd to then put (what appeared to be young versions of) them in the Cerebro sequence.
This does seem like a very valid point. This might've been one of those studio-mandated additions. I really do wish they went with these X-men heavy hitters instead of meh choices like Havok, Banshee, Darwin, Angel and Mystique.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:54 AM   #278
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

If First Class were set in the 80s, then Cyclops, Jean, and Storm would have been suitable choices to make up part of the team.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #279
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

But the point is the actors that they put in FC for cameos that look like "Cyclops" and "Storm" were pretty much close to the same age (but still younger, admittedly) as Havok and Banshee. Why bother showing those and then saying Cyclops, Storm, Jean et al are too young for FC?

Old 12-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #280
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Could be. That tweet does make it sound like he will be acting with the FC crew though. Im sure hes talked to Singer in some manner. Who knows, Im just stoked he will be in it more then likely ****ing up Sentinels. Wouldnt be DOFP without him.
Of course Hugh Jackman is going to act with the cast of First Class. They aren't gonna bring him in this movie just to show clips of him trying to survive in the future. Of course he's also going to time-travel to the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
There's no many people that believe it was Jean, only a few posters here. And the screen shot is of a brunette Hispanic girl. It isn't Jean.
I didn't even know Jean had a cameo in FC. This is news to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
People think that's Jean? LMAO!
It could be Jean, the hair is very similar to Jean Grey's hairstyle in X1. But it doesn't matter anyway. Its just something for the fans to look at.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 12-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #281
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

We have Wolverine saturation.I do not want Wolverine and X-Men teens,It would be so boring.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #282
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Not Jean .... But ugh, isn't the boy Scott?
Of course it's meant to be Jean. The camera zooms in close and she has brunette hair in a ponytail just like Jean's was in some scenes in X1.

They obviously put these characters in Cerebro, along with giving Wolverine a cameo, because they were trying to connect it with the previous films and add some familiarity - even though the original trilogy's Scott, Jean and Storm wouldn't have been born in the 60s.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #283
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Blaire View Post
We have Wolverine saturation.I do not want Wolverine and X-Men teens,It would be so boring.
I disagree. Personally I think using Prof X for the traveler is the best way to go, so its focused fully on the FC team. But if they did use an X Men to time travel Logan would probably be the least boring regardless of how much hes been used. He has been shown to have a more important relationship to Xavier and as a rival to Magneto, just right there it would lead to more interesting scenes having him in the past then the other X Men. I get that people are sick of him, but he adds conflict because of his nature and has a certain repspect to Xavier that hasnt been shown with other characters on screen yet. With Kitty I would like her as the traveler just because it would be DOFP comic accurate and I like the comic character, but because of her place in this film series she makes less sense, and the film version of Rogue wont bring much in terms of interesting relationships/action to the FC time imo. I realize she does have the Kitty role here, but still dont see how she would be more interesting then Logan in this scenario given what weve been shown of her in the trilogy. She complains alot, and doesnt bring alot of action with her.

Last edited by def28; 12-21-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #284
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Yeah but Logan only has a relationship with the older Xavier and Magneto. For Erik and Charles he's just a guy who told them to eff off once, so there's no real relationship there on their end. Plus Wolverine is just so, well, old compared to the young team of FC, he's gonna stick out like a sore thumb.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #285
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Yeah but Logan only has a relationship with the older Xavier and Magneto. For Erik and Charles he's just a guy who told them to eff off once, so there's no real relationship there on their end. Plus Wolverine is just so, well, old compared to the young team of FC, he's gonna stick out like a sore thumb.
Nah. I can guarantee you no one will care about that.

Doesnt matter that he knew old Xavier that respect will not be lost when he goes back. Him meeting young Prof X would be part of the fun. I really think as far as original X Men traveling back, besides Prof X (transferring himself a warning somehow) Logans the best choice and leads to much more interesting conflicts. But Im def curious why others would think the other X Men are a better choice. All I hear is Wolverine sucks cause hes overused.

Last edited by def28; 12-21-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #286
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I disagree. Personally I think using Prof X for the traveler is the best way to go, so its focused fully on the FC team. But if they did use an X Men to time travel Logan would probably be the least boring regardless of how much hes been used. He has been shown to have a more important relationship to Xavier and as a rival to Magneto, just right there it would lead to more interesting scenes having him in the past then the other X Men. I get that people are sick of him, but he adds conflict because of his nature and has a certain repspect to Xavier that hasnt been shown with other characters on screen yet. With Kitty I would like her as the traveler just because it would be DOFP comic accurate and I like the comic character, but because of her place in this film series she makes less sense, and the film version of Rogue wont bring much in terms of interesting relationships/action to the FC time imo. I realize she does have the Kitty role here, but still dont see how she would be more interesting then Logan in this scenario given what weve been shown of her in the trilogy. She complains alot, and doesnt bring alot of action with her.
Using Professor Xavier as the time traveller wouldn't work. They need more of a physical action character who can race to try to stop the critical event. He'd just be stuck in the mansion with the other Xavier. And transferrring futureXavier's mind into pastXavier wouldn't work as it's essentially overwriting the younger persona played so well by McAvoy.

Maybe they will use two travellers? It might make sense, in case one of them gets captured/injured/killed, there is still another one left to finish the mission.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #287
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Using Professor Xavier as the time traveller wouldn't work. They need more of a physical action character who can race to try to stop the critical event. He'd just be stuck in the mansion with the other Xavier. And transferrring futureXavier's mind into pastXavier wouldn't work as it's essentially overwriting the younger persona played so well by McAvoy.

Maybe they will use two travellers? It might make sense, in case one of them gets captured/injured/killed, there is still another one left to finish the mission.
My bad, I meant this not that old Prof X would physically be there stuck. Should have phrased differently. I think transferring a warning could work with Prof X, wouldnt want to see him fully taken over by old Xavier.

Who do you want to see used?

Last edited by def28; 12-21-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #288
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
@RealHughJackman
Great 2 be back where it all began w/ @bryansinger & #xmen days of future past! And 2 work w/ the new cast for more than 4 hrs this time!
So is Jackman saying that it took them 4 hours to shoot that bar scene in FC where he says like three words? Or did they film more and then just didn't use it?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #289
The_Shadow
Side-Kick

He was probably on set for for 4 hours, but only filmed for maybe 20 minutes.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #290
Cherry
Side-Kick

Yeah, you would be surprised how slowly most productions go. I've worked on film sets before, and it's like molasses.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #291
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I didn't even know Jean had a cameo in FC. This is news to me.
Because she doesn't.
Quote:
Of course it's meant to be Jean. The camera zooms in close and she has brunette hair in a ponytail just like Jean's was in some scenes in X1.
You're seriously overreaching.
Quote:
So is Jackman saying that it took them 4 hours to shoot that bar scene in FC where he says like three words? Or did they film more and then just didn't use it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Shadow View Post
He was probably on set for for 4 hours, but only filmed for maybe 20 minutes.
Pretty much both are possibilities. The bar may be located near somewhere else they filmed in.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #292
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Blaire View Post
Since I doubt they're going to introduce a young Scott and Jean, it'll be boring no matter who they send back because we've never seen any relationship between the x-teens and any of the future X-Men. It would be so much more meaningful if say, Logan and Storm return to see a young Jean and Scott still alive. And also Xavier.

Part of beauty of the DOFP story is Kitty seeing her friends/family in the past when times were still good.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #293
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
The problem is that those cameos (and also the Beast on TV cameo in X2) only come back to haunt the studio when continuity contradictions occur later on.

Considering they deliberately opted not to use Storm, Jean and Cyclops in First Class, because they wouldn't have been born, then it seemed odd to then put (what appeared to be young versions of) them in the Cerebro sequence.
This is exactly right.

JP, you have to understand where some of us are coming from here (and I know you do): there is such...well, confusion with this movie series. It's like they can't make up their minds on what the hell they want it to be. Some of the casting decisions that are made are clearly political, others don't make any sense at all. X-Maniac's position as stated above carries so much water because that was the exact argument many of us had in the first place: the characters they used in FC were mostly C or D-list characters that few--if any--cared about, yet they totally snubbed the classic characters fans wanted to follow, i.e. Scott, Jean, Storm. Instead, they threw nonsensical people into the mix to replace them, i.e. Havok. WTF?

For example, Bobby should have been one of the FC. But because they (Singer & Co.) ignored the comics and continuity 10 years ago, they couldn't use him at all (since he wouldn't have been born yet in the 60s). These writing and casting decisions have long range consequences down the line. That's why I said the past informs the present and the future--and why I believe this upcoming film will be just..X4 with some other weirdness thrown in.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #294
Lightning Strykez!

Am I the only one that thinks this girl looks black and is probably just some random mutant child? I don't see Jean here at all. Surely that hair would've been waaaay more vibrant red to make sure we wouldn't be having this discussion of doubt.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #295
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, we pretty much know why they did what they did. They didn't make it a total reboot, and they chose to set it in the 60s to show when Xavier and Magneto were young men.

As a prequel, it couldn't have Cyclops, Jean and Storm. But then they showed glimpses of those three in the Cerebro sequence, and then they didn't line up the continuity properly.
That's the thing that frustrates me. To me, there was no reason to exclude Jean, Storm, and Cyclops. I understand the ages might be weird, but the original trilogy was never stated to be any specific year. If they were willing to mess with certain continuity issues, then I never really understood why they couldn't just say that the original trilogy was in the late 80s or 90s. It's not like people (other than super fans) are out there calculating ages and scanning the original movies for clues as to what year it looked like. I don't care about the inconsequential continuity issues!

But I do understand that if those three were added, the focus would have shifted a bit away from Erik and Charles. But a competent director and screenwriter could've made it happen.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #296
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Perhaps it was simply a matter of keeping the focus primarily on Erik and Charles, and to a lesser degree Raven and Hank.

If they made FC with big-name characters like Jean and Scott, they couldn't have possibly treated them the same way they did characters like Havok and Banshee, and I can't see the fans being happy with that either. They and their stories would have needed far more attention. Which would mean taking away screen time from the four characters mentioned above.
You make a valid point.

But is it possible that maybe--just maybe--it's time for that to finally happen? Personally, I am sick to the point of death of seeing origin stories for Xavier, Erik and Logan told and re-told in this franchise. Think about how many different ways those same exact stories have been related back to back, over and over again. There have been 5 X-Men/ X-Men Origin films. Erik and Logan's backstories have dominated 4 of the 5. And that's because--DA-DUH-DUHHHHH...Bryan Singer has a particular affinity for those storylines. F*** the rest. LOL

There is serious lack of confidence in Cyclops, Storm, Jean, and other X-Men with this production team for some reason. Their unwillingness to tell any cinematic story without hinging it squarely on Wolverine, Xavier and Magneto is starting to rival WB's inability to tell any other DC film story besides Superman and Batman.

And that dependency is so sad to see.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #297
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
That's the thing that frustrates me. To me, there was no reason to exclude Jean, Storm, and Cyclops. I understand the ages might be weird, but the original trilogy was never stated to be any specific year. If they were willing to mess with certain continuity issues, then I never really understood why they couldn't just say that the original trilogy was in the late 80s or 90s. It's not like people (other than super fans) are out there calculating ages and scanning the original movies for clues as to what year it looked like. I don't care about the inconsequential continuity issues!

But I do understand that if those three were added, the focus would have shifted a bit away from Erik and Charles. But a competent director and screenwriter could've made it happen.
Geez, I love you. #nogay

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 12-21-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #298
Angamb
Banned User

I must be one of the few people who was sooooooo glad they introduced young Havok, Banshee and Beast on FC.

it gave the movie fresh air and I had fun watching all the scenes they were in.

It was just the very first movie, they can easily build the franchise and add well known x-men as the sequels come, mainly the big three, Cyclops, Jean and Storm.

I find kind of sad that some fans seem to be unable to enjoy and accept a movie without Wolverine and the original trilogy x-men.

FC had GREAT reviews by critics, they can keep developing those characters until finally introduce the the long awaited Scott, Jean and Storm. I dont see the problem here

Old 12-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #299
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I must be one of the few people who was sooooooo glad they introduced young Havok, Banshee and Beast on FC.

It was just the very first movie, they can easily build the franchise and add well known x-men as the sequels come, mainly the big three, Cyclops, Jean and Storm.

I find kind of sad that some fans seem to be unable to enjoy and accept a movie without Wolverine and the original trilogy x-men.

FC had GREAT reviews by critics, they can keep developing those characters until finally introduce the the long awaited Scott, Jean and Storm. I dont see the problem here
Actually I was happy to see Banshee and Beast (they could've kept Havok--that was just a slap in the face for Cyke fans). But the movie would've been HUGE with the Big 3 involved. A lot of folks stayed home from theaters because of their absence (and, to be fair, because Logan wasn't a main character either).

To the vast majority of moviegoing audiences Xavier, Jean, Scott, Storm, Logan, Ice-Man, Beast and Rogue ARE the X-Men. I'd say that's the case for damn near 98% of non-comic reading fans. Six of those eight characters were subtracted from the mix for FC and...well, you get what we got.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 12-21-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #300
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post

I also didn't mind seeing Havok and Banshee as the brand new characters. But there is an odd feeling that they don't belong in the story that early, especially having Havok there before Cyclops. It might have been better to keep them for the second or third films and instead:

1) Make First Class a reboot with the First Class of the comics (they'd probably still get Wolverine in there but the Bond reboot kept Judi Dench as M)

2) Just use Scott, Jean and Storm, as Xavier does say they were 'some of my first students'

So how do they now bring in Scott, Jean and Storm. We saw the backstory of Jean in X3, we saw some backstory on Cyclops in XMO: Wolverine, and wasn't that a young Storm in Stryker's cells? Storm's the only one without any origin.