The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Actors from Original trilogy returning for a possible Days of Future past?
Ellen Page as Shadowcat 67 41.36%
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine 105 64.81%
Halle Berry as Storm 56 34.57%
Anna Paquin as Rogue 55 33.95%
James Marsden as Cyclops 82 50.62%
Ben Foster as Angel 28 17.28%
Kelsey Grammer as Beast 46 28.40%
Alan Cumming as Nightcrawler 49 30.25%
Shawn Ashmore as Iceman 48 29.63%
Famke Janssen as Jean Grey 64 39.51%
Taylor Kitsch as Gambit 39 24.07%
Daniel Cudmore as Colossus 44 27.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #301
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I also didn't mind seeing Havok and Banshee as the brand new characters. But there is an odd feeling that they don't belong in the story that early, especially having Havok there before Cyclops. It might have been better to keep them for the second or third films and instead:

1) Make First Class a reboot with the First Class of the comics (they'd probably still get Wolverine in there but the Bond reboot kept Judi Dench as M)

2) Just use Scott, Jean and Storm, as Xavier does say they were 'some of my first students'

So how do they now bring in Scott, Jean and Storm. We saw the backstory of Jean in X3, we saw some backstory on Cyclops in XMO: Wolverine, and wasn't that a young Storm in Stryker's cells? Storm's the only one without any origin.
I honestly believe they are scared of Storm's origin. Clearly they keep tip-toeing around it. LOL

Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #302
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past - Par

I thought that of the plethora of mutants that they could have selected to make up the movieverse first class, Beast, Havok, and Banshee were good choices. There's at least some modicum of respect to the source as these three originated in the 60s, with Beast being the only original member. Yes, Havok is older than Cyclops here, and I used to be bothered by it, but I'd much rather have him than some newer mutant (many of which I'm not familiar with) on the team.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #303
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I also didn't mind seeing Havok and Banshee as the brand new characters. But there is an odd feeling that they don't belong in the story that early, especially having Havok there before Cyclops. It might have been better to keep them for the second or third films and instead:

1) Make First Class a reboot with the First Class of the comics (they'd probably still get Wolverine in there but the Bond reboot kept Judi Dench as M)

2) Just use Scott, Jean and Storm, as Xavier does say they were 'some of my first students'

So how do they now bring in Scott, Jean and Storm. We saw the backstory of Jean in X3, we saw some backstory on Cyclops in XMO: Wolverine, and wasn't that a young Storm in Stryker's cells? Storm's the only one without any origin.
They can respect Jean's scene in X3, they dont even need to adress it, just show Jean arriving to the school being older, 20 years old or so. Exactly how they introduced Jean in the very first comic of Uncanny X-men.

And Scott can be introduced since the very beggining of the movie, however they wanna introduce him, and then Xavier, Alex and co. go in his search and join the school, so once Jean arrives, Scott is there. Exactly how happened on UX 1 too.

And Storm can be introduced in the sequel after. In Africa.

Its not a big deal, guys. They can take a few creative liberties in case they are neccesary.

sometimes we see these things more complicated than they are. FC could become an amazing franchise, and once the team has Beast, Havok, Banshee, Cyclops, Jean and Storm, the action could be top-notch, and in my opinion, the fans shouldnt have any more complains about the characters.

Ok, there's no Logan or Rogue, but why do we need those characters always? The line-up Ive posted is pretty strong, if you ask me, and to see Beast, Jean and Scott, along with Banshee flying all over the place, is the closer we can get to Original five. And having Scott's brother in the mix would give both of them a great arc too, so my question is

What MORE do we need?
seriously.

We cant expect all at once. Things must be done step by step, we only should just have patience and enjoy the journey, it can be pretty cool.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #304
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

I hate reboots,I hate that this franchise becomes X-Men teens. It seems made ​​for fans of 15 years old.Do not wanna see Twilight mutant.The adult actors give more dramatic charge.Halle, Famke, James, Anna, Rebecca, Alan, Patrick, Ian, they are the first X-Men in the cinema.No more reboots,seize the original casting.They have much to do yet.Hollywood is very cruel to his actresses when they turn 40 years old.We want the girls back.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #305
Lightning Strykez!

Amen. ^

Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #306
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I don't make any secret I hate reboots.That Is easy way out.Ignoring all that has come before and redoing what they have done.I didn't like It with Bond.I don't like It with SUperman.Disney buying Star Wars may be essebntial a reboot.I don't like It that Warner Brothers let Chris Nolan do whatever he want and now batman Is going to be rebooted once again.I certinly don't want a X-Men reboot anytime soon.

X-men should be like Bond series used to be ongoing,and when they need to recast.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #307
def28
Side-Kick

Meh, this franchise is lucky it can fix its mistakes with timetravel and alt timlines. Most of those characters pictured above are dead or cured.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #308
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Alison we get that you are the biggest fan of the X-Women, that's great. But can you please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeease start putting your massive image posts under a spoiler tag? It's a bit of a pain to scroll through, especially when on a mobile...

Old 12-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #309
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I find kind of sad that some fans seem to be unable to enjoy and accept a movie without Wolverine and the original trilogy x-men.

FC had GREAT reviews by critics, they can keep developing those characters until finally introduce the the long awaited Scott, Jean and Storm. I dont see the problem here
Like I said before, when the movie was in production I always defended the filmmakers' decisions regarding the cast they chose. And I loved FC. It's only in retrospect that I've come to realize it was IMO probably a mistake. And just because I say one thing doesn't mean another. I can most definitely enjoy a movie without Logan, Scott, Jean, and Storm.

It's just a matter of the filmmakers being kind of wussy. They didn't have the balls to make a compelling movie that focused only on Xavier and Magneto. (They could've just made that, called it "X-men: Beginnings" or something, and put in mutant villains that inspired them to create the X-men).

They didn't have the energy to make a movie that introduced Xavier and Magneto AND Scott, Jean, and Storm.

Instead they chose to do a movie about Xavier and Magneto and sprinkle in a bunch of mutants that would "fill" up the movie.

And I repeat, I loved the movie, but it kind of left them stuck on where to go next.

Also, I didn't mean to say that Singer and Vaughn are not competent. Quite the opposite actually. They just didn't quite step up to the challenge.

Last edited by josh8; 12-21-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #310
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Geez, I love you. #nogay
#suregay

LOL

Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #311
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I find kind of sad that some fans seem to be unable to enjoy and accept a movie without Wolverine and the original trilogy x-men.
Not fans, more like the casual viewers. First Class was great and everything. But like I said before, the characters of FC aren't just that appealing compare to the characters of the original trilogy.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 12-21-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #312
Angamb
Banned User

is more appealing a new movie like Chronicle, with no comic book characters?

This is cinema. The movies can be funny and cool without the need to be an adaptation of a comic, novel or tv show.

It just deppends on how the director, writer and co. handle the characters.

Comic fans care about comic characters, general movie viewers care about cool stuff and a cool movie.

But I dont want to start another endless discussion about how X4 is a better option than a FC sequel with Banshee, Havok, Polaris and co.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #313
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

James Marsden Is on longer on list for Guardians of the Galaxy list so take that as you will.Maybe Bryan Singer already booked him for DOFP.

WHile I would have no problem seeing James as Cyclops If they aren't letting Bryan Singer throw out the Last Stand(which seems unlikely after Hugh Jackman's latest Interview If only Warner Brothers would have used some control like this over the DKR) I would preer they use Xavier's mind In twin's body and other characters alive at end of The Last Stand just saying the future Is alternate without any reason to have It different from original trilgoy.Fox would lose opportunny to have this both X4 and first Class 2(It would make the trilogy and the Wolverine Ilrelvent to this film)

Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #314
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:

This is cinema. The movies can be funny and cool without the need to be an adaptation of a comic, novel or tv show.

Comic fans care about comic characters, general movie viewers care about cool stuff and a cool movie.

But I dont want to start another endless discussion about how X4 is a better option than a FC sequel with Banshee, Havok, Polaris and co.
Yes, the movies exist as their own entity, however, over the years the X-Men have been exposed to the general public through the cartoons and movies, so there are some expectations as to the characters. You can't compare that to original material like Chronicle. But I get what you're saying and I agree that we shouldn't get too deep into this discussion.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #315
Lightning Strykez!

Quote:

Well, I dunno know about that, unless I'm misunderstanding you here.

These are comic book films. Therefore we (fan community, comic readers, etc.,) are what provide the legs and positive word of mouth to hook the non-fans into the mix. We provide the repeat business weeks and weeks after the initial release and the general audience has moved on to other movies. It lives or dies with us first.

The producers of FC appealed to a very small percentage of X-Men fans by heavily pushing fairly less popular and/or less interesting characters. If they want the house filled, they need to bring the original big guns. It's just that simple. It's a formula. F*** with it, and it blows up in your face. LOL

Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #316
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

You release Marvel/Joss Whedon show SHield will have exactly no characters from Comic
Books.And coulson doesn't count since he was created for films.I have already been attacked on boards for critizing Whedon for this.

First Class was always designed to be Magneto and Xavier's backstory film(when Matthew Vaughn took over as Director It became more a Magneto origin film) and Bryan Singer made It clear they liked the title but that was all they were taking and Mystique and Beast were only others from trilogy they could use since First Class was prequel.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #317
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
It's just a matter of the filmmakers being kind of wussy. They didn't have the balls to make a compelling movie that focused only on Xavier and Magneto.
But being the mutant leaders (and in Charles' case, a teacher) is a very important part of who these two characters are. If there's no team for them to lead/teach in the movie, you lose that aspect and all the team interactions as well. Maybe less so for Erik because he doesn't really become a leader until the end when he fully comes into his powers, but definitely for Charles. Especially since Charles himself is not particularly action-oriented.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 12-22-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #318
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Charles had a whole other life before the X-men. McAvoy would've done that justice. That said I was pleasantly surprised by McAvoy's Xavier. I went into FC thinking it was The Fassbender Show (especially after reviews came out) and his Bond-like antics. Looking back now, Magneto had some weird scenes in FC: playing creepy uncle to Beast and Mystique was definitely one of them (that entire scene was just bad!).

Here's hoping Bryan polishes most of what Vaughn wrote for DOFP. We don't need obvious crap like Mutant and Proud and "You didn't ask so I didn't tell." Sometimes subtlety is key. And that's something Vaughn can learn from Singer.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #319
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Subtlety as in, "can you not be a mutant?"

Old 12-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #320
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

That's more subtle than "Mutant and Proud" (and "You didn't ask so I didn't tell") and didn't involve Mystique shouting across the beach to a Beast who did all he can do to not roll his eyes (along with the rest of the audience). Not like the make-up and prosthetics would've allowed him to roll his eyes to anyways!

And I think the majority agrees that scene at Bobby's house was a very powerful scene and one of the many highlights of X2.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #321
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I thought it was a great scene too, but there was definitely nothing subtle about it, as far as I'm concerned. Which doesn't necessarily make it any worse.

I do agree that "mutant and proud" was overused in FC, and I do cringe somewhat at that last shoutout from Mystique to Beast on the beach.

I think though that the toad/lightning line in X1 is much, much worse than anything in FC - and yes I know Singer didn't write it, but he did film it.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 12-22-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #322
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I think Beast's make-up*, especially that big reveal was much worse than anything in X1, X2, even X3 so let's agree to disagree. lol

*and as seen in the Blu-ray special features that was ALL Matthew Vaughn, even down to the fur!

Old 12-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #323
jaymes_e06
TRINITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Charles had a whole other life before the X-men. McAvoy would've done that justice. That said I was pleasantly surprised by McAvoy's Xavier. I went into FC thinking it was The Fassbender Show (especially after reviews came out) and his Bond-like antics. Looking back now, Magneto had some weird scenes in FC: playing creepy uncle to Beast and Mystique was definitely one of them (that entire scene was just bad!).

Here's hoping Bryan polishes most of what Vaughn wrote for DOFP. We don't need obvious crap like Mutant and Proud and "You didn't ask so I didn't tell." Sometimes subtlety is key. And that's something Vaughn can learn from Singer.
Yeah i alwayskinda felt singer talked about subtextual betterthan any of the cbm directors

:o
Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #324
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Though I don't think that Beast's make-up was the Worst Thing Ever in X-men movies, it's definitely a must-fix for DoFP, along with Magneto's last costume.

Seriously, if he shows up in that purple monstrosity in broad daylight everyone's just going to keel over with laughter.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #325
Marvel
Side-Kick

All of the above so they can use this poster!!!!

Whatever they have to negotiate with Marvel they have to do this concept as one of their movie posters. They just HAVE to.

Closed Thread