The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Actors from Original trilogy returning for a possible Days of Future past?
Ellen Page as Shadowcat 67 41.36%
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine 105 64.81%
Halle Berry as Storm 56 34.57%
Anna Paquin as Rogue 55 33.95%
James Marsden as Cyclops 82 50.62%
Ben Foster as Angel 28 17.28%
Kelsey Grammer as Beast 46 28.40%
Alan Cumming as Nightcrawler 49 30.25%
Shawn Ashmore as Iceman 48 29.63%
Famke Janssen as Jean Grey 64 39.51%
Taylor Kitsch as Gambit 39 24.07%
Daniel Cudmore as Colossus 44 27.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #201
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by socool View Post
http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...of-future-past

Well, Hugh Jackman's on. Gotta admit, was kinda hoping this WOULDN'T happen. What made First Class so great was that it put the spotlight on all these characters that were either never seen or took the backseat in the first three X-Men movies. With Wolverine, and Hugh Jackman's Wolverine none the less, I feel like this will end up being HIS story. Because, ya know...it's Fox.
I hear ya'. I actually love Wolverine and want to see him in the movie, but I am afraid that his presence will out-shine everyone else, and I don't want that. X1 was the worst, where he basically took on almost all the bad guys by himself at the end, but X2 balanced the characters better. Hopefully, we'll see that here, too, with Wolverine playing an important role, but not the ONLY role.

While Charles Xavier is building his school, the Brotherhood has plans of its own—to build a mutant army. And soon, Magneto will discover there’s only one person who can build it for them…Charles.

Click Here to Read.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #202
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Yeah Scott, Jean and Storm look like they walked out of different decades.
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
I hear ya'. I actually love Wolverine and want to see him in the movie, but I am afraid that his presence will out-shine everyone else, and I don't want that. X1 was the worst, where he basically took on almost all the bad guys by himself at the end, but X2 balanced the characters better. Hopefully, we'll see that here, too, with Wolverine playing an important role, but not the ONLY role.
I didn't mind Wolverine's screentime in X1 simply because he was the lead character on that movie and the story focused on him and Rogue and of course they were gonna feature Wolverine more.

But hopefully with the First Class cast, they will able to give everyone a decent amount of airtime and it will not be the Wolverine show again.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 12-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #203
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Halle's Storm needs a sexier outfit. They managed it for Black Widow and Catwoman, and neither Scarlett or Anne Hathaway are as well-known for sexy bodies as Halle!

[QUOTE=EnDz0n3;24879293]I'm sure FHM and Maxim and all these online polls would have something to say about that. Especially the Scarlett mention.[quote]
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
You're right that I'm over exaggerating. But in X2 Halle's clothing combined with the hair made for a pretty bad mix.

For example:

She looks like my grandma (styling-wise) on the way to Atlantic City.
I'm more disappointed in Scotts attire actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
on a completely unrelated topic. Did it ever irritate you that Storm was constantly referred to as Storm even when she was not in her uniform whilst the others were called by their names, Jean, Scott, Logan, bobby etc.
It most definitely annoyed me. I also hated how everyone was called by their names on the field as well in all of the movies.
Magneto was the only one who avoided this; I especially loved his line in X2 "What's your real name?" to Pyro.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #204
NanaT
X-Men United!

^Yeah they didn't feel like a proper orhanised combat team. They seemed like untrained people that didn't know when and when not to call people by their codenames.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #205
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
Yeah, I thought X2 was much better in terms of balance. Wolverine still had a big storyline, but Jean also got her own arc in the film and even the bigger climax of the film (The climax of Wolverine's discovery story is much more muted than Jean's final sacrifice).

X2 really had a nice story structure in that Wolverine and Jean's storyline's mirrored each other: Wolverine is going on an external journey of discovery to find the place he was created while Jean is going on an inner journey of self-discovery (uncovering the strength of her power and ultimately unleashing the Phoenix). Unfortunately, some of the other characters (Rogue, Cyclops, Prof X) still got the shaft, but at least they each got a small moment to shine.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #206
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingDee View Post
Yeah, I thought X2 was much better in terms of balance. Wolverine still had a big storyline, but Jean also got her own arc in the film and even the bigger climax of the film (The climax of Wolverine's discovery story is much more muted than Jean's final sacrifice).

X2 really had a nice story structure in that Wolverine and Jean's storyline's mirrored each other: Wolverine is going on an external journey of discovery to find the place he was created while Jean is going on an inner journey of self-discovery (uncovering the strength of her power and ultimately unleashing the Phoenix). Unfortunately, some of the other characters (Rogue, Cyclops, Prof X) still got the shaft, but at least they each got a small moment to shine.
I love your description

Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #207
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I didn't think she was frumpy at all in the class room scene in X1, where she was talking about Rome and Catholicism; the scene where she's confronting Wolverine about choosing a side; Kelly's death scene. I can go on. The acting was not very good but the costuming was not the least bit as bad as some are saying. At least the civilian clothing.
I'm exaggerating a bit, obviously. I could see they were trying to make Storm seem exotic/ethnic in the clothing, jewellery and accent, but somehow it wasn't quite right and didn't come across as very flattering.

Quote:
I'm sure FHM and Maxim and all these online polls would have something to say about that. Especially the Scarlett mention.
Maybe so, but my original comment about them being not 'as well-known' for sexiness as Halle still stands, in my view.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #208
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Actually, considering the big climax at the end, I thought Jean's arc in X2 was kinda minimal and barely there. At the start of the movie she tearfully tells Scott that something terrible is about to happen, then it all becomes about the main plot and Wolverine's story without much reference to Jean's story until that last big scene.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #209
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:

Wolverine still dominated overall, though. And mainly at the expense of Cyclops and Storm.

That sort of dominance didn't happen in Avengers. Even though Hawkeye was pushed to the side a little as Loki's pawn, the characters seemed fairly evenly treated - or at least more evenly treated than in the X-Men. And that's despite Robert Downey Jr's more dominant personality making Iron Man a likely candidate to take over the whole film - it wasn't allowed to override everyone else.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #210
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wolverine still dominated overall, though. And mainly at the expense of Cyclops and Storm.

That sort of dominance didn't happen in Avengers. Even though Hawkeye was pushed to the side a little as Loki's pawn, the characters seemed fairly evenly treated - or at least more evenly treated than in the X-Men. And that's despite Robert Downey Jr's more dominant personality making Iron Man a likely candidate to take over the whole film - it wasn't allowed to override everyone else.
Thats one thing i hope he took away from TA that a team movie should pretty much evenly displaced amongst the team not another WOlverine and his amazing associates.

:o
Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #211
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

you know what would be interesting? if Hugh Jackman played 80's wolverine in this. Like whoever the time traveller is seeks him out in the past to enlist his aid.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #212
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Actually, considering the big climax at the end, I thought Jean's arc in X2 was kinda minimal and barely there. At the start of the movie she tearfully tells Scott that something terrible is about to happen, then it all becomes about the main plot and Wolverine's story without much reference to Jean's story until that last big scene.
yeah, that's what tends to happen to arcs about internal conflict on the big screen - external conflict is much easier to portray on film. But they touch on it several times in the film before the climax and then there is discussion about Jean after she sacrifices herself. Plus, Jean gets the love triangle subplot, so compared to some of the characters who have no real involvement in the story (Storm, Rogue, Cyclops), she did get a lot more than X1 and gave the film a clear female lead.

They really should have given her a bit more to do considering the bigger climax of the film is centered. Failing that, Wolverine should have been given a showier climax or been involved in her storyline somehow.

So, the structure of the film was a bit screwed up, but I suspect this was due to studio involvement: they most likely pushed for more Wolverine and Storm when really the story dictated that Jean be given more development

Don't even get me started on X3's structure ugh.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #213
Angamb
Banned User

definetly agree with these points, curiously Ive thought about Jeans role in X2 recently too.

I didnt care too much about her death because the movie didnt give her enough material to let the audience care about her. all the boys and girls should have fallen in love with her character a bit to get a bigger emotional impact at the end.

Thats why I hate Wolverine getting the lead in all the movies, because other characters had important arcs around them to just get a small part.

When you have a big and complex team of great characters, you just CANT put on the lead one only mutant. And less in THREE movies. No man. Such a big mistake.

X1 was told under Logans point of view, X2 plot focused around him again (1st mistake) and the third movie put him on the lead again, and it was the movie where he should have had a smaller role than previous movies, with Dark Phoenix and The Cure as the two big plots of the movie. Wolverine cant have the lead with those two arcs.

so.... having said all of this, his role on this sequel should be the same as the rest of the x-men. No more than anyone else.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #214
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
yeah, that's what tends to happen to arcs about internal conflict on the big screen - external conflict is much easier to portray on film. But they touch on it several times in the film before the climax and then there is discussion about Jean after she sacrifices herself. Plus, Jean gets the love triangle subplot, so compared to some of the characters who have no real involvement in the story (Storm, Rogue, Cyclops), she did get a lot more than X1 and gave the film a clear female lead.

They really should have given her a bit more to do considering the bigger climax of the film is centered. Failing that, Wolverine should have been given a showier climax or been involved in her storyline somehow.

So, the structure of the film was a bit screwed up, but I suspect this was due to studio involvement: they most likely pushed for more Wolverine and Storm when really the story dictated that Jean be given more development

Don't even get me started on X3's structure ugh.
I don't think Jean came off too badly, actually. The film revolved around her and Wolverine's self-discovery journeys.

The only thing I thought a bit lacking in Jean's portrayal was that the fight with Cyclops in the dam was too short (not enough time for audience tension to build as the two mutants pushed against each other) and her final sacrifice didn't seem to have a powerful enough impact (it didn't quite seem developed enough, somehow, though the visuals/FX were great, with the fiery aura and then the firebird beneath the water).

She fared much better than Cyclops, who was removed from the plot for much of the film, and Storm, who didn't have any direct link to any of the story except being a plot device of special effects at the right moment.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #215
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Which for me resulted in a film where everyone felt like a supporting character and no character felt more than a flimsy sketch - including Tony Stark whose first individual film I have actually seen. So I really hope they don't go for the same approach in DoFP because I'd hate to see the characters watered down like they were in The Avengers.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #216
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Which for me resulted in a film where everyone felt like a supporting character and no character felt more than a flimsy sketch - including Tony Stark whose first individual film I have actually seen. So I really hope they don't go for the same approach in DoFP because I'd hate to see the characters watered down like they were in The Avengers.
Hmm.. I thought Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Nick Fury and Black Widow were fairly well developed; Thor and Loki a little less; and Hawkeye least of all.

The film did have the advantage of just one villain (Loki + anonymous army) rather than a whole Brotherhood equivalent. But I quite liked the spread of screentime for the ones that were there, even if character development was a bit lacking. Maybe the film had to sacrifice a strong arc for one or two characters to take the approach it did of making 4 or 5 characters front and centre.

DoFP at least has an advantage in using several very familiar faces who don't need too much introduction and explanation.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #217
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Your giving the Avengers too much credit.It still was largely a Tony Stark and Captain America film co-Staring Bruce Banner,Nick Fury,and Black Widow with appearances by
Thor,Loki,and hawkeye.

You have to pick and choose with ensemble casts.X2 did best for me from X-Men films.Magneto was the wolverine equilvent In First Class.The Last STand was only film for me they overdid Wolverine.

I don't want DOFP to copy the avengers or Star Trek 2009.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #218
Mulholland-Jr
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
You're right that I'm over exaggerating. But in X2 Halle's clothing combined with the hair made for a pretty bad mix.

For example:

She looks like my grandma (styling-wise) on the way to Atlantic City.
I really could care less about random pedestrian clothing. Just want good X-Uniforms.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #219
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
I really could care less about random pedestrian clothing. Just want good X-Uniforms.
Eh, it's still a part of the movie and any part of the movie that doesn't look well-done will take me out of the moment.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #220
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

i always hated that douche that is way too into "posing" while he stands.... lol he's totally like "yeah.... I'm cool and in a movie

(guy next to jean)

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #221
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
i always hated that douche that is way too into "posing" while he stands.... lol he's totally like "yeah.... I'm cool and in a movie

(guy next to jean)
Haha! He's a mime they hired for the more "featured" frozen people!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #222
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

... he was a bit overly dramatic and thus looks unnatural

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #223
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Haha I actually saw one of the background actors/mimes from that museum scene (years after X2 came out) just as I was getting on the skytrain (our version of the subway but only, you know, above the street. Hence SKYtrain) in Vancouver.

Only an X-geek would've recognized him!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #224
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I like their outfits...they look cool!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #225
Mulholland-Jr
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Eh, it's still a part of the movie and any part of the movie that doesn't look well-done will take me out of the moment.
I think the wardrobe for First Class mattered obviously because 60s fashion played a huge part in that movie. But sure, fair enough.

Closed Thread