The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 09-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 09-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan117 View Post
If I knew, I would have addressed that point. I specifically focused on the crane scene, though. However, we can, perhaps, speculate. When in immediate danger, the human body produces high amounts of adrenaline which allows us to do things we normally wouldn't do (including not noticing pain). Perhaps during this fight, Peter's leg didn't hurt him as much because of the adrenaline his body was producing. Of course, that's not explicitly stated. But it's an easy conclusion to arrive at. The same sorts of conclusions can be drawn about nitpicks people have in other superhero films that ultimately have no negative impact on the main narrative.

On the other side of the coin, if you try hard enough, you can come up with an answer or reason for any flaw.

I wouldn't say that there's no impact on the narrative. When the movie clearly shows the character getting shot and bleeding, having trouble walking, climbing, etc... and then a minute later he's running, climbing, kicking, fighting a minute later with no problem, you can see why people would question it.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
On the other side of the coin, if you try hard enough, you can come up with an answer or reason for any flaw.

I wouldn't say that there's no impact on the narrative. When the movie clearly shows the character getting shot and bleeding, having trouble walking, climbing, etc... and then a minute later he's running, climbing, kicking, fighting a minute later with no problem, you can see why people would question it.
That was exactly my problem -.-

Old 09-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
amazingly atiba
Lets go catch a spider

are you guys really arguing or debating or discussing over this? really not that big a deal

Old 09-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Spideyfan117
Yo When's Mahvel!?

@ Teekay: I'm having trouble following your logic here. You bolded the last sentence in my post, implying that's the reason they shouldn't have made it a big deal? So because simple conclusions can be drawn about nitpicks, they (who is they? the writer? the audience?) shouldn't have made a big deal out of it? Please reword your post so I can make some sense of it. And please, enough with the smug emoticon. It's really uncalled for.

@ Vid: I have to disagree. This is such a minor thing (ie: a nitpick) that it doesn't effect the narrative. A fight scene in which Peter performs better than what someone might think is possible is not the entire point of the scene nor of the story as a whole. It's the climax. He's beating the odds (with a lot of help from Capt. Stacy, Gwen, and the construction workers). That's that. I see no negative impact. But I do see that they clearly WANTED people to see him go from limping to running for whatever reason. Thus, the limping-to-running sequence. What that reason is within the story (does it really have to do with adrenaline? Is Peter just toughing it out in a moment of inspiration from the crane operators?), I couldn't say. It's obviously intentional, though.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:

If you go back and read my earlier post I gave some pretty good reasons as to how Peter was able to find the strength to put away his pain and fight thru it. There's adrenaline and of course mental toughness. He also got a rise from seeing the father of the boy he saved now returning the favor. His renewed sense of purpose gave him the ability to carry on. However, as seen in the film, the injuries took their toll and the Lizard's strength proved to be to much for him. If Capt Stacy hadn't showed up there's a good chance Peter would have been tossed off the roof by the Lizard with his broken webshooters and died. And as I also pointed out, after the adrenaline has worn off and the mental edge now gone, we see Peter limping thru the door to Aunt May and he's barely able to stand. There's plenty of examples of people overcoming injuries and performing certain things they otherwise wouldn't be able to do because of what's happened. Athletes are a great example.

But anyway, it all depends on how you look at it and how emotionally invested you are in the movie. For me, it was easy to see this reasoning because I was so very drawn in by everything. For those that weren't, I can see how this can be misunderstood and become a nitpick or whatever.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Spideyfan117
Yo When's Mahvel!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingly atiba View Post
are you guys really arguing or debating or discussing over this? really not that big a deal
Discussing what would be trivial minutiae in most contexts can make for interesting conversation with other people who have some sort of interest invested in those details.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
amazingly atiba
Lets go catch a spider

i really dont see how it matters. just a little scene that most people enjoyed

Old 09-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:

That was exactly my problem -.-

uurrhhggghhh double post -.-

Last edited by TeeKay; 09-19-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: uugghh double post -.-
Old 09-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Spideyfan117
Yo When's Mahvel!?

Quote:
i really dont see how it matters. just a little scene that most people enjoyed
It doesn't matter. But then entertainment in general "doesn't matter." So that's a silly reason for people not to discuss something. Wouldn't you say? It's interesting and fun. That should be enough.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
If you go back and read my earlier post I gave some pretty good reasons as to how Peter was able to find the strength to put away his pain and fight thru it. There's adrenaline and of course mental toughness. He also got a rise from seeing the father of the boy he saved now returning the favor. His renewed sense of purpose gave him the ability to carry on. However, as seen in the film, the injuries took their toll and the Lizard's strength proved to be to much for him. If Capt Stacy hadn't showed up there's a good chance Peter would have been tossed off the roof by the Lizard with his broken webshooters and died. And as I also pointed out, after the adrenaline has worn off and the mental edge now gone, we see Peter limping thru the door to Aunt May and he's barely able to stand. There's plenty of examples of people overcoming injuries and performing certain things they otherwise wouldn't be able to do because of what's happened. Athletes are a great example.

But anyway, it all depends on how you look at it and how emotionally invested you are in the movie. For me, it was easy to see this reasoning because I was so very drawn in by everything. For those that weren't, I can see how this can be misunderstood and become a nitpick or whatever.

I get it and it doesn't even really bother me. It's a common trope in the long line of the "underdog overcoming any and all odds" tradition. It's there to up the dramatic stakes, etc...

I'm just saying that on the other side of the "you can nitpick everything" is that you can take any percieved "flaw" and create a reason for it.

How did Spidey battle the Lizard after the gunshot when he could barely walk or climb? The answer is because the story calls for him to overcome insurmountable odds. Now you can reason it out by saying, "he had an adrenaline rush" or whatever. How did Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham in TDKR? Well, he's had years of ninja, stealth training and we saw him do it in Begins, etc...Ultimately, it's not a huge deal, but it should make sense. Neither TDKR or TASM crossed that line for me.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
@ Teekay: I'm having trouble following your logic here. You bolded the last sentence in my post, implying that's the reason they shouldn't have made it a big deal? So because simple conclusions can be drawn about nitpicks, they (who is they? the writer? the audience?) shouldn't have made a big deal out of it? Please reword your post so I can make some sense of it. And please, enough with the smug emoticon. It's really uncalled for.

@ Vid: I have to disagree. This is such a minor thing (ie: a nitpick) that it doesn't effect the narrative. A fight scene in which Peter performs better than what someone might think is possible is not the entire point of the scene nor of the story as a whole. It's the climax. He's beating the odds (with a lot of help from Capt. Stacy, Gwen, and the construction workers). That's that. I see no negative impact. But I do see that they clearly WANTED people to see him go from limping to running for whatever reason. Thus, the limping-to-running sequence. What that reason is within the story (does it really have to do with adrenaline? Is Peter just toughing it out in a moment of inspiration from the crane operators?), I couldn't say. It's obviously intentional, though.
I meant Marc Webb shouldn't have made a huge deal about it if he was going to fail to acknowledge it later on during the fight and then suddenly he's hurting again after the fight. Anyways, doesn't matter anymore. Didn't ruin the movie for me but it was a head scratcher.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
It doesn't matter. But then entertainment in general "doesn't matter." So that's a silly reason for people not to discuss something. Wouldn't you say? It's interesting and fun. That should be enough.

After all, what's the "point" of posting on a message board? None. But like you say, it can be interesting and fun.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Spideyfan117
Yo When's Mahvel!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post
I meant Marc Webb shouldn't have made a huge deal about it if he was going to fail to acknowledge it later on. Anyways, doesn't matter anymore.
Okay, I get you now. Of course, he did acknowledge it later on. As I said in another post, you clearly see him go from limping to running in one sequence. There's some sort of reason for that because it's obviously meant for us to notice. And UltimateWebhead pointed out that, after the fight, Peter limps through the door of his house. So I think it makes more sense than some critics (read as: "fans") give it credit. Still, feel free to view it as you will.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Cheers.

Last edited by TeeKay; 09-19-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I would be interested in a TASM script re-written by Vid. Just to see his go.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 09-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #18
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

People are forgetting that Spider-Man has high pain endurance and a healing factor. Not as powerful as Wolverine's, but it's still there.

In the comics, Spider-Man continued to fight the Hulk even after the Hulk broke his arm. He also endured a severe beating from Morlun that went on for over 24 hours.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
@ Vid: I have to disagree. This is such a minor thing (ie: a nitpick) that it doesn't effect the narrative.
It's one of the film's key emotional moments, and it falls completely flat for some (for reasons very clearly specified). Which means their perception of the film as a whole suffers. It's not a nitpick because it's not a small flaw, it's a big one.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #20
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

It's not a flaw, it's just not spelt out as easy as people would like

Old 09-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

It's not a flaw at all. One of Spider-Man's powers is adapting to pain. He's gotten worse injuries before and his body adapted to them fast.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #22
amazingly atiba
Lets go catch a spider

JUST like in SM2 when spidey got hit by a TRAIN and kept fighting ock? did anyone COMPLAIN or DISCUSS

Old 09-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #23
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
People are forgetting that Spider-Man has high pain endurance and a healing factor. Not as powerful as Wolverine's, but it's still there.

In the comics, Spider-Man continued to fight the Hulk even after the Hulk broke his arm. He also endured a severe beating from Morlun that went on for over 24 hours.
I never bought or liked the whole "healing factor" thing. Seems like everyone's got a "healing factor" these days. I've never seen this referenced in the comics before. High endurance sure, but healing factor as well? That's just a bit too much.

As for the comics, which are completely inconsistent- as far as Spidey's abilities go- from one issue to the next, Spidey also got trounced by the Kangaroo.

The Morlun fight was intense, but 24 hours?

Old 09-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
I never bought or liked the whole "healing factor" thing. Seems like everyone's got a "healing factor" these days. I've never seen this referenced in the comics before. High endurance sure, but healing factor as well? That's just a bit too much.

As for the comics, which are completely inconsistent- as far as Spidey's abilities go- from one issue to the next, Spidey also got trounced by the Kangaroo.

The Morlun fight was intense, but 24 hours?
Spidey having a healing factor is nothing new. It's been around since thee 1960's. It's not something they came up with in the last few years. Just because you don't like the idea of him having it does not make TASM flawed for having it. It is part of the character.

It lasted over 24 hours. Peter couldn't even sleep or else he would have been killed.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #25
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
JUST like in SM2 when spidey got hit by a TRAIN and kept fighting ock? did anyone COMPLAIN or DISCUSS
Nope. Because Spider-Man 2 is the flawless Spidey masterpiece that does everything right.

Closed Thread