Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #51
mayo23
Side-Kick

Default Re: Jamie Foxx IS Electro - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I wanted Electro to already be established so more time could be devoted to character developement rather than an origin. I wanted Electro to be bad for the sake of being bad not the sympathy angle (AGAIN).

* Peter
* Gwen
* Harry
* MJ
* Aunt May
* Electro
* Norman Osborn
* Bugle (maybe)

These are the plates the film makers are going to be spinning, think how much more time could be devoted to each if the origin was simply skipped.
You can suggest Electro's upbrining with what he says and how he acts why do you have to SHOW IT. Imagine how much the Joker origin would have slowed down TDK and what would it have added, really?

Ho-hum, what ever Webb puts on screen I will watch but the description Foxx give really feels like a played out stroyline we seen a dozen times.
They were hampared by the origin in the first movie they no longer have that excuse but it seems they LIKE being hampared with origin stories.
You make it sound as if the entire film will be devoted to Electro's origin. We don't know much of anything yet. SM2 had to introduce the origin of Doc Ock. It didn't hamper the film at all imo.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #52
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo23 View Post
You make it sound as if the entire film will be devoted to Electro's origin. We don't know much of anything yet. SM2 had to introduce the origin of Doc Ock. It didn't hamper the film at all imo.
SM2 wasn't spinning as many plates as ASM2 no doubt will be attempting to. Bugle was already established as was Harry and Norman Osborn only appears in one scene.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #53
mayo23
Side-Kick

Well then hopefully ASM2 will be 2h30 long.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #54
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo23 View Post
Well then hopefully ASM2 will be 2h30 long.
I think it will.

I don't see it being any shorter than 2h 20mins.

With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #55
Oscorp
Side-Kick

I think people are a little too quick when they say "Hey if they didn't go this route, what else could they do with him? It wouldn't be interesting to just have him get powers and rob banks."

He could keep the sad childhood thing and still be evil with no connection to Spidey. When facing Spidey, he could say something like "All my life I've been ignored! People like you, people like my own parents, haven't seen my full potential. Well, I'll show you all my what I've got!" or something like that. That way you'd understand why he has so much anger inside and he'd come off as a prick at the same time.

He wouldn't need to just rob banks. He could get the powers and have the sole motivation be that he'll destroy everything as some kind of revenge (pretty much what I also think he'll have in ASM2). With more depth to it, of course.

However, I still think the route Webb is taking here probably is for the better. That kind of villain I explained above would be too two dimensional and be pretty much like any generic villain out there. So I agree with you guys that the backstory Webb is giving him here would be better. I just think this whole "What, do you want him to just rob banks?" is a little silly to say.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #56
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
I think people are a little too quick when they say "Hey if they didn't go this route, what else could they do with him? It wouldn't be interesting to just have him get powers and rob banks."

He could keep the sad childhood thing and still be evil with no connection to Spidey. When facing Spidey, he could say something like "All my life I've been ignored! People like you, people like my own parents, haven't seen my full potential. Well, I'll show you all my what I've got!" or something like that. That way you'd understand why he has so much anger inside and he'd come off as a prick at the same time.

He wouldn't need to just rob banks. He could get the powers and have the sole motivation be that he'll destroy everything as some kind of revenge (pretty much what I also think he'll have in ASM2). With more depth to it, of course.

However, I still think the route Webb is taking here probably is for the better. That kind of villain I explained above would be too two dimensional and be pretty much like any generic villain out there. So I agree with you guys that the backstory Webb is giving him here would be better. I just think this whole "What, do you want him to just rob banks?" is a little silly to say.
Agreed.

and as I have said before, just because he has a sympathetic back story, it doesn't make the character anymore likeable or sympathetic himself.

Norman Osborn has a sympathetic backstory, but that doesn't make him any less the scumbag from the comics we love to hate.

Same thing with The Joker. His backstory, at least one of them, is sympathetic but he is still a murdering psychopath.

With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #57
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Agreed.

and as I have said before, just because he has a sympathetic back story, it doesn't make the character anymore likeable or sympathetic himself.

Norman Osborn has a sympathetic backstory, but that doesn't make him any less the scumbag from the comics we love to hate.

Same thing with The Joker. His backstory, at least one of them, is sympathetic but he is still a murdering psychopath.
This.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #58
Nathan

Or what about Ra's and Bane in Nolan Movies? You felt sympathetic for those moments in their lives, where they lost people dear to them or where just ****ed from the get go due to circumstances. Doesn't change that the two were bastards who wanted to destroy Gotham.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #59
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Or what about Ra's and Bane in Nolan Movies? You felt sympathetic for those moments in their lives, where they lost people dear to them or where just ****ed from the get go due to circumstances. Doesn't change that the two were bastards who wanted to destroy Gotham.
Thank you.

Didn't Ra's Al Ghul lose his wife?

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #60
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Thank you.

Didn't Ra's Al Ghul lose his wife?
Yes. He equated the pain of that to Bruce losing his parents. "Like you I was forced to learn there are those without decency who must be fought without hesitation, without pity".

- The Joker
Old 12-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #61
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Yes. He equated the pain of that to Bruce losing his parents. "Like you I was forced to learn there are those without decency who must be fought without hesitation, without pity".
That sounds like a sympathetic villain. I guess they were following Sony's formula for creating one.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #62
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I think when your villain has superpowers, you kind of feel obligated to showcase how he gets them and what he goes through when he first has them. None of Bats' villains in TDKT had powers per se, so you could kind of just gloss over it via flashback and dialogue.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #63
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I think when your villain has superpowers, you kind of feel obligated to showcase how he gets them and what he goes through when he first has them. None of Bats' villains in TDKT had powers per se, so you could kind of just gloss over it via flashback and dialogue.
That is true. But it would be cool to get one villain with powers before the events of the film.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #64
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
I like what I've heard so far and the black suit sounds good to me. I'm all for re-imaginings. When I first heard Joker was going have smeared face paint in TDK, I was horrified...but look how that turned out.

Electro is a much less iconic character, in terms of the general audience. The filmmakers now have more of a creative license to mold him to their universe (as they did with the Lizard although I was pretty disappointed in that outcome), whilst still staying true to the idea of the character.

Still not good the Jamie doesn't know the name of his character.
He doesnt?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #65
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
I wanted Electro to already be established so more time could be devoted to character developement rather than an origin. I wanted Electro to be bad for the sake of being bad not the sympathy angle (AGAIN).

* Peter
* Gwen
* Harry
* MJ
* Aunt May
* Electro
* Norman Osborn
* Bugle (maybe)

These are the plates the film makers are going to be spinning, think how much more time could be devoted to each if the origin was simply skipped.
You can suggest Electro's upbrining with what he says and how he acts why do you have to SHOW IT. Imagine how much the Joker origin would have slowed down TDK and what would it have added, really?

Ho-hum, what ever Webb puts on screen I will watch but the description Foxx give really feels like a played out stroyline we seen a dozen times.
They were hampared by the origin in the first movie they no longer have that excuse but it seems they LIKE being hampared with origin stories.
Electro is a supervillian,his origin and a bit of back story is absolutely necessary,so we know how he gains his powers and the source of his motivation and his ultimate aim

They wont go,Boom here a villian lets have a fight!!

It was different with Joker,he wasnt superpowered and was a maniac so not showing his back story only added to that persona and made him better

Last edited by Spiderdevil; 12-19-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #66
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
He doesnt?
He said "Matt" instead of "Max Dillon." Whatever, I honestly don't care. He's a good actor, that's all that counts.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #67
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
I feel like if this movie was being made by Marvel/Disney, and they gave us the exact same news, a lot of people would be saying how awesome it is.
No one is getting excited over Foxx being Spider-Man's buddy and getting angry at the world because his mom forgot his birthday cake. That could come from Marvel and it would still be dumb. Then again I don't think Marvel/Disney is as dumb as Sony.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #68
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
No one is getting excited over Foxx being Spider-Man's buddy and getting angry at the world because his mom forgot his birthday cake. That could come from Marvel and it would still be dumb. Then again I don't think Marvel/Disney is as dumb as Sony.
1. He thinks he is Spider-Man's buddy, we don't really know that they actually become pals.
2. Nobody said he is angry at the world because his mom forgot his birthday. Next time, read the whole interview.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #69
chaseter
Bland User

1. It's still dumb that Electro thinks they are partners/buddies
2. The cake is a lie is part of his character's motivation to become evil (I am going to laugh if that is the last straw that breaks the camel's back in the movie)

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #70
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I don't see what is wrong with this, Electro thinking Spidey is his friend and no one else thinking the same thing could be really creepy, rather then goofy.

Also its not just that his mom forgot is birthday, its that he got no real validation in his life, until Spidey came along and now he has an obsession with Spidey.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #71
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

We have no idea how this is gonne feel in the movie. Still, I'm pretty optimistic that they got something very cool for us

Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #72
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

I think Foxx was just joking, this cannot not be Webb offering of an origin for Electro....that would be a huge character flaw. However, by the same token, I still feel that Webb is just as inept as Raimi, with his lack of vision to just simply have the villain be a villain, and not some sympathetic, accidental/failed experiment, that have some ties to Peter or his alter-ego Spiderman.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #73
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

You've seen him do one villain, who is in fact sympathetic in the books.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #74
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
He said "Matt" instead of "Max Dillon." Whatever, I honestly don't care. He's a good actor, that's all that counts.
I've been thinking about this but what if they're gonna go the route of Max being a nickname due to his profession. Matt "Max" Dillon. Probably a stupid idea I know but still.

I like the idea though of Dillon being delusional in thinking that he's Spidey's partner

Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #75
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
He must be pretty preoccupied with Django Unchained

Closed Thread