The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Walking Dead

Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #51
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Default Re: Glen Mazzara stepping down as EP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Well obviously. The thing is, after the first half of the season this show has had, the network should've just shut their mouths and let the man keep doing what he's been doing.

AMC needs to take some pointers from FX. Mainly about execs keeping their mouths shut and letting the writers do their job.
Exactly. The ratings prove that the direction is working, so let Mazzara do what he wants. I don't know what the hell the top brass at AMC are thinking, but hopefully some anonymous source or Mazzara himself explains what happened.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #52
xisaacx
trademarks us miserable

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dmg View Post
Exactly. The ratings prove that the direction is working, so let Mazzara do what he wants. I don't know what the hell the top brass at AMC are thinking, but hopefully some anonymous source or Mazzara himself explains what happened.

Everyone has an ego.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #53
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
so this guy fixes the show, then also get's canned?
Not only fixes it, makes it the top rated (in terms of the key 18-49 demo that determines what stays on the air) cable show ever and the top show of the year, broadcast or cable.

Hoping Evan Rielly takes over as showrunner, he's been a writer for the past two seasons and wrote on Rescue Me.

Rick and Morty
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 AM   #54
Bruce Malone
Why so Bad?

There's a lot of behind the scenes issues going on with AMC now it's a big story among industry insiders.

Frankly AMC is scared ****less due to the fact that MM and BB will be done within a year or so and aside from TWD none of their other shows have caught on. So there's a big sense of dread in the network now and it's probably being taken out on TWD behind the scenes.

AMC seems like a network that got big too fast and still doesn't know how to handle itself. Frankly i really wish HBO had been the one to pick it up. I think from day one the show's quality would have been better, i mean maybe awards worthy. Look at how they've handled GoT.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #55
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I'm not sure why Hell on Wheels isn't something they consider a success. It's ratings are about even with Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #56
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

It doesn't have the critical acclaim or a passionate fan base like MM and BB have. Plus it skews older in the demo, which is the opposite of what networks/advertisers want. BB was getting twice as many younger, 18-49, viewers than HoW this summer.

Now BB has grown into a a good demo number, it used to be where HoW is.

When FX struck big with The Shield, Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me along with the duds Lucky, Over There and Thief they were apart of the Fox Entertainment Group which is under News Corp.

AMC has owned by Rainbow Media LLC, a subsidiary of Cablevision. This year Rainbow Media was spunoff into a publicly traded company called AMC Networks. It houses AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel and We TV, a few other cable channels that get small ratings that are just gaining attention. While Cablevision is a big company it wasn't the best parent company to have for AMC.

If Time Warner, Viacom, Comcast, Disney or Fox owned AMC they would put the right people in place after seeing the current regime **** up with some of the best writing talent in the business.

Rick and Morty
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #57
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

If Ronald Moore wasn't already busy making his own **** happen, I wouldn't mind him being the new showrunner. I often look back on BSG and think TWD would do well to be a bit more like it. Except with more zombies and less Cylons.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #58
eddy
Side-Kick

AMC is so f******** stupid!

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #59
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

This is really bringing back bad memories of what happened to Sliders in season 3. One of the creators left the show, they killed a great character, and wrote another one off before season 4 started (which they never really resolved completely). Then the show switched to SciFi channel when season 4 started as well and it just kept getting worse and worse. By season 5 only one member of the original cast was left and ratings were so bad that there was never really any resolution at all for the the series. It was a complete mess at the end.

I hope it doesn't get like this for TWD, I love the show.

Will Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #60
eddy
Side-Kick

Please don't bring up Sliders. Fox screwed that show so hard.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:00 AM   #61
Evelisse
Exactly

It's sad that Mazzara is leaving but I'll give the show the benefit of waiting to actually hear bad news about where it's actually being taken. Just want to enjoy the second half of the season, will save my true worrying til like September. Unless news or spoilers in between that time can not be ignored.

Evelisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #62
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
Please don't bring up Sliders. Fox screwed that show so hard.
after 10+ Years I finally got to see the last season since its on netflix.

Jeeeeze, i was HURT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #63
Marvin
Side-Kick

I'm pretty sure it was Mazzara that headed the movement to kill off lori and the rest in that big episode out of nowhere. It did wonders for the viewership and the many pacing issues of the show, but I have a feeling it rubbed people behind the scenes the wrong way.

amongst other stuff

Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #64
Spider-Man Luvr28
Amazing.

THR published a report as to why Mazzara left:

Quote:
AMC and Walking Dead comic book writer and producer Robert Kirkman were blamed for Mazzara's ouster and called out by name by showrunners Shawn Ryan (Last Resort) and Kurt Sutter (Sons of Anarchy), neither of whom is involved with Walking Dead but both of whom worked with Mazzara on Ryan's FX series The Shield. Ryan tweeted, "It's a real question now why good showrunners should sell to AMC," and Sutter followed with a tweet declaring that AMC had sent him "a gift basket filled with … broken promises and the marinated tongue used to lick Kirkman's ass."

Several insiders confirm that Kirkman, whose detailed graphic novels form the basis of the series, is "very proprietary," as one puts it. One adds, "I believe Robert wants to maintain a certain amount of his control, and AMC needs Robert for the fan base." But despite the vitriol, some sources involved with Walking Dead say Kirkman was one of several producers on the show who had issues with Mazzara and his vision.

One source says Mazzara's shortcomings in running the series during the most recent third season became "abundantly clear … especially for the second half of the season." This source says production was shut down "several times" because of a lack of material.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...mazzara-410017

Spider-Man Luvr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #65
Evelisse
Exactly

Guess we'll see if his "short comings" become evident during the second half coming soon, Kind of wish Kirkman would step up if he really doesn't/didn't like where his creation was going or has gone, instead of just smiling on Talking Dead acting like he loves every choice. It's his baby so he is welcome to speak up, at the same time if the show is not hurting and he keeps making money, do not destroy it.

oh and, Don't kill Daryl.

Evelisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #66
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Oh, so Kirkman's to blame as well? That sucks...

Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #67
HighFivingMF
Welp.

You know who I blame? Dinkelberg.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #68
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Why not Zoidberg?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #69
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Darth, don't even pretend that you're not already blaming Andrea.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #70
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Nah, her hands are clean of this one.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #71
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
One source says Mazzara's shortcomings in running the series during the most recent third season became "abundantly clear … especially for the second half of the season." This source says production was shut down "several times" because of a lack of material.
Jeez, that doesn't sound good at all.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #72
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

I'm getting really worried about the show. I guess next month we'll see what these "shortcomings" really are.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #73
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

I guarantee you, these "shortcomings" are nowhere near as bad as they're making it sound. They have to justify letting go of a popular show runner who made the show highly successful. They'll say anything to discredit him at this point.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #74
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I guarantee you, these "shortcomings" are nowhere near as bad as they're making it sound. They have to justify letting go of a popular show runner who made the show highly successful. They'll say anything to discredit him at this point.
Yep, and we all know AMC is awful to their showrunners. Why would they think we'd believe it's all his fault?

Randal Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #75
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

The part about the shortcomings isn't coming from AMC though, its from an set insider. Deadline posted the same thing as well.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote