The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #151
Flemm
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
They would be smart to have a 'You've seen The Avengers. See what happens next...' type trailer at the Superbowl showcasing both Iron Man and Thor.
At this point, I think just showing Iron Man, Thor and Loki would be enough to reinforce the Avengers hook. Marvel studios is really in a great spot now. All the risk is gone, basically. They are printing money.

I can't wait to see what these movies are like. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they really raise the bar for the solo films.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #152
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel_freshman View Post
Here's the vid:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

And transcription:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
“I just finished shooting about a week and a half ago. There's going to be a bit of a darker feel and obviously a lot more action. We get to explore different realms a lot more and you see a lot more Asgard; and you get to know the people of Asgard. There is more [character development] with Sif. We sort of explore the Thor-Sif relationship a little bit; kind of [in a romantic way]. It's more like getting a feel of who these people are, how the way they are with each other. It was really fun for me and Chris. Him and I are almost like brother and sister too, so I was like maybe that translates into 'ohh they love each other on camera.' We had a good time making that movie.”

“That was hard at first [returning with a new director] because I didn't know what to expect. I love Kenneth Branagh very much He was a huge staple in my life because he launched my career. I gotta say, however, it is always great working with new people. Alan Taylor has brought a whole new vision to Thor. We've remained our own characters obviously, so there's still that similarity between the first and second one. But there's a darker feel to this one; a little more Gladiator-ish, a bit more viking-ish. So I'm really excited to see how it turns out.”

“The script did [feel more rooted in the comic book stuff]. I could read certain scenes and actually see how someone would do the drawings on the page. With that sense, Marvel was great; they said 'make it your own.' We just have a great team. I have been very lucky in my career. It was slightly different [with Zachary Levi coming in], because he's not Josh Dallas, but he's fantastic. And I've know Zach for years. He was actually one of the first choices for Fandral, so it's great to have him on board. He's definitely Fandral, and he's such a lovely guy, team player and really sweet. Everybody welcomed him with open arms and he's definitely a part of the family.”
It doesn't seem to me as if they are doing Thor/Sif at all, rather she hopes people can gather some subtext of their affection for one another. Its also a bit confused, if she and Chris have a sibling type relationship is that the love she hopes will be conveyed on screen?

Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #153
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
It doesn't seem to me as if they are doing Thor/Sif at all, rather she hopes people can gather some subtext of their affection for one another. Its also a bit confused, if she and Chris have a sibling type relationship is that the love she hopes will be conveyed on screen?
Not as an outright romantic relationship, I agree. Over in the plots thread, Elizah speculated it might allude to what has happened between them in the past. That could well be.

I agree about it being confusing. Regarding the sibling relationship, I wonder if Alexander got to the end of her sentence and realized one could take the comment in a way she didn't mean. (If you watch the video, she makes some comments after what you highlighted that tries to lighten it. The transcript I posted over in the plots thread includes those statements.)

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #154
elizah72
Side-Kick

I think she was saying that she and Chris have a bro-sis relationship, not necessarily Thor and Sif, and she was wondering if that may translate on screen into they (Sif and Thor) love each other romantically, then realized that could be taken wrong. LOL So needless to say, the fact that she sort of half questions if she should reveal it, indicates that there will probably be some romantic tone there (since there is no big deal if they are always only friends), but doesn't sound like it gets far within the film. As I'd suggested, maybe a bit will be revealed about a past involvement, that was ended for one reason or another.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #155
itchyscratch
Side-Kick

While the actors know what scenes they shot, I'm guessing at this point they don't know and have zero control over which of their character's scenes gets chopped up or edited out entirely from the final product. If they include some specific Sif/Thor scenes to instigate a bit of jealousy from Jane all of those related scenes could end up on the editing floor if they have better things to fit in the movie.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #156
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
At this point, I think just showing Iron Man, Thor and Loki would be enough to reinforce the Avengers hook. Marvel studios is really in a great spot now. All the risk is gone, basically. They are printing money.

I can't wait to see what these movies are like. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they really raise the bar for the solo films.
I wish it was that simple, but there's still plenty of risk involved in Marvel movies. Yes, anything that has Iron Man in it is still pretty much a sure thing, and IM3 may well flirt with the billion-dollar worldwide box office mark --- I'm almost positive it'll be the most successful installment of the Iron Man film franchise --- but Thor and Cap still have a lot to prove in terms of generating a film fanbase, even after Avengers. And GOTG and Ant-Man are easily the riskiest ventures Marvel Studios has *ever* undertaken.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #157
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I wish it was that simple, but there's still plenty of risk involved in Marvel movies. Yes, anything that has Iron Man in it is still pretty much a sure thing, and IM3 may well flirt with the billion-dollar worldwide box office mark --- I'm almost positive it'll be the most successful installment of the Iron Man film franchise --- but Thor and Cap still have a lot to prove in terms of generating a film fanbase, even after Avengers. And GOTG and Ant-Man are easily the riskiest ventures Marvel Studios has *ever* undertaken.
It's not quite that simple, of course. But... there's a lot more security than there was.

GOTG and Ant-Man are a bit of a different story, in terms of their success as individual films. On the other hand, a hiccup here or there won't really hamstring the whole enterprise like it once might have.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #158
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Yeah if GOTG or Ant-Man flops, I don't think it'll necessarily hurt Avengers 2's performance the way Cap or Thor could've hurt the first movie.

...as long as they arent too far into shooting Avengers 2, and featuring the gaurdians or ant-man very heavily, that is

Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #159
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Well I can't wait to see Warlock on the screen but I don't love the Antman/Giant man costumes. lol

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #160
The_Mighty_Thor
Stay thy hand troll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Well I can't wait to see Warlock on the screen but I don't love the Antman/Giant man costumes. lol
But Yellow Jacket was awesome!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #161
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Yellojacket and Ant Man are Pym's best costumes.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #162
itchyscratch
Side-Kick

There's another little Jamie interview on The Site Which Shall Not Be Named. Hopefully all the actors will start to blab a bit now.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #163
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyscratch View Post
There's another little Jamie interview on The Site Which Shall Not Be Named. Hopefully all the actors will start to blab a bit now.
Here's hoping. Especially the Loki details!

Linked the original below...

Another Jaimie interview, a bit more...
http://collider.com/jaimie-alexander...erview/222054/

Quote:
Alexander: "Two very different people, but both have extraordinary visions for what the film should look like and what it is going to look like. Alan, I feel like the second installment of Thor is much darker, much more rooted in what’s going on in the soul, whereas Ken’s version definitely had that soulfulness but was also lighter and there’s an elegance to his film….I was nervous going into the second one. I meet Alan, he has great ideas, super open to what we want to do as well and knows that we were the character once upon a time. So we can do it again and he puts his spin on it. He’s got some incredible shots in that film. I really enjoyed him a lot."

"You get to experience more of who she is on the inside. You get to see her in a more feminine way and we do explore the Thor/Sif relationship a little bit. That was fun…I definitely have action. But there are scenes, we have a few scenes where we don’t have any action at all and it was actually a lot of fun to play that because you’re not hiding behind a sword or an explosion, it’s just here, in your face. It was nice to see who she really is and that sort of thing. It was fun."
Quote:
Alexander also mentioned another movie role that she’ll hopefully be able to talk about in the next few weeks, but for right now it remains under wraps except to say that it’s an action picture and she’s been sworn to secrecy about it.
Hmmm.... Avengers 2 maybe?

Last edited by elizah72; 01-07-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #164
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
And GOTG and Ant-Man are easily the riskiest ventures Marvel Studios has *ever* undertaken.
Hardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
Hmmm.... Avengers 2 maybe?
A2 will have so much going on I really don't think there's space or need for Sif. I get the impression it's some other big action film. Maybe she got a role in the new Star Wars or something

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...

Last edited by Moridin; 01-07-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #165
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Hardly.

Yes....yes, GOTG and Ant-Man *are* the riskiest ventures Marvel has undertaken. All their other films had built-in comic-nerd fanbases, and even non-fanboys had heard of most of those superheroes --- Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk and Thor. GOTG and Ant-Man...? Hell, not even dedicated comic book geeks know much, if anything, about those properties. Those two are truly the only dice rolls Marvel Studios has ever made.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #166
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

It would be pretty sweet if Jamie was in the new Star Wars. But it might be too early for casting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mighty_Thor View Post
But Yellow Jacket was awesome!
Not just awesome, but epicly awesome.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #167
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:
Yes....yes, GOTG and Ant-Man *are* the riskiest ventures Marvel has undertaken. All their other films had built-in comic-nerd fanbases, and even non-fanboys had heard of most of those superheroes --- Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk and Thor. GOTG and Ant-Man...? Hell, not even dedicated comic book geeks know much, if anything, about those properties. Those two are truly the only dice rolls Marvel Studios has ever made.
Agreed. I suppose you could argue that creating a studio just to do CBMs was the biggest risk, but as far as film choices go? These are the riskiest two by far.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #168
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Is it too early for Justice League casting?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #169
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
Is it too early for Justice League casting?
Well....no. But wouldn't you do that in a Justice League thread instead of a Thor thread....?

Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #170
Adamantium
Your King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Agreed. I suppose you could argue that creating a studio just to do CBMs was the biggest risk, but as far as film choices go? These are the riskiest two by far.
What will really suck...I hope it doesn't ever happen, but it is in the realm of possibility that they might one day in the future venture into other kinds of movies. And that would mean longer periods of time between Comic Book movies with finances going elsewhere. Like I said I don't think it will happen anytime soon, but the idea of it stinks. It's just paranoia that has no root at this point. Just an observation.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #171
elizah72
Side-Kick

Another!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #172
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
No, not even close. Hindsight is, ironically, clouding you're view.

GotG & AM could both totally tank at the BO and it won't make much of a dent in their bank account or in their plans rolling forward. They still have a BO juggernaut in The Avengers, at least 2 other proven big money makers in Iron Man & Thor, and potentially another 2 in Cap & Hulk depending on how much TA boosts them.

Starting this whole thing in the first place, taking out a loan of hundreds of millions for IM & TIH (If they tanked, no more Marvel Studios), introducing the heros in solo films first, then actually bringing them all together (and hiring a guy with only one previous film, which bombed at the BO, & no big budget experience to do it) were all bigger risks than GotG & AM which, after the huge success of TA, can fall back on the Marvel brand to help sell - "from the people that brought you The Avengers".

GotG & AM are in a damn good position, a far better position than any Phase 1 films were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
What will really suck...I hope it doesn't ever happen, but it is in the realm of possibility that they might one day in the future venture into other kinds of movies. And that would mean longer periods of time between Comic Book movies with finances going elsewhere. Like I said I don't think it will happen anytime soon, but the idea of it stinks. It's just paranoia that has no root at this point. Just an observation.
I think it's highly likely MS will expand into doing non-MCU films, and I don't think that would interfere with their CBM's. After Phase 2 they could easily start producing low budget films, one or two a year alongside the 2 priority MCU films.

I could see the likes of Black or Wright pitching quirky, low budget films to Marvel.

They were already seriously considering doing Ant Man as a 3rd film in 2014 (which Wright's schedule ended up not allowing), so expansion is clearly on the table.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #173
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Ant-Man and GOTG *do* have a potential impact on the Avengers and the MCU as a whole.

The current consensus is that Thanos is the big bad for TA2, and that he'll be introduced in GOTG. If GOTG tanks, nobody is going to want to see a failed villain return for the Phase II finale.

And Ant-Man brings his own mythos to the MCU, particularly the Avengers. There's a lot of potential future Avenger-related characters that are dependent on the success of Hank Pym at the box office: Janet Van Dyne, Scott Lang, Ultron, Vision, Jocasta, Simon Williams, Bill Foster.

The failure of GOTG and/or Ant-Man would have a large impact on the future of the Avengers franchise. At the very least, if either tanks, Marvel is going to have to scramble to rewrite and probably reshoot some major story arcs involving top Avenger villains --- namely, Thanos and Ultron.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #174
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Honestly. I see there are 3 types of audiences. There is us, the comic book lovers. Then there are the interested GA, they don't follow comics, but they've seen the trailers enough to want to see the movies, and know that there will be sequels and such. Minor bandwagon fans if you will, like...your friend that says, oh, ironman 3 looks sick, so does thor 2. Then there is the regular GA, who simply is just the regular general audience, where ant man or gotg may not be too big.

Yes, Gotg and ant-man certainly are risky. However if they are advertised right, I am sure they will do fine. The comic fans are going to see the movies regardless, as will most likely the interested GA, because of the "from the studios that brought you the avengers, ironman, thor..etc", just knowing it's a marvel movie, taking place in the same universe may get some of these people atleast somewhat interested. And we could assume SOME of the regular GA will go to see it. Not to mention, lets say some of the people's sources are correct, and Janet is introduced, as is Pym, and Ultron for avengers 2. Well IF IF IF that's the case, the following ant man movie won't be as risky.

My point being that yeah, GotG and ant man are risky in a sense, but given what marvel studios has done and such, I personally believe it is safe to say that, given how its even settled with the GA, that any movie put out by marvel will at minimum do okay, but I doubt a flop.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #175
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
My point being that yeah, GotG and ant man are risky in a sense, but given what marvel studios has done and such, I personally believe it is safe to say that, given how its even settled with the GA, that any movie put out by marvel will at minimum do okay, but I doubt a flop.
I agree. Only if the movie in question is a colossal stinker, the stench of which is unprecedented, will the movie flop. The more likely downside is that it does merely okay.

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
Closed Thread