The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #251
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
That would be cool although slightly less flamboyant.
Agree, less flamboyant. But maniacal, egotistical and brilliant in a similar fashion. The way that Moriarty gets so frustrated (and bored) if Sherlock doesn't keep up with him is fantastic.

I don't want Supes to be the dumb brute, but Lex should be so clever he toys with Superman for fun.

ElDuderino is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #252
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,844
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Nothing wrong with using Lex in a sequel as long as he comes with enough Firepower to rival or possibly surpass the threat we will see in MOS.Henchmen like Metallo and parasite arent going to cut it alone-Lex needs something like the entire Superman revenge squad as his firepower.

If they use lex its go big or go home.Im talking All star lex big if they want to justify passing on Braniac-again.
The problem with a revenge squad is they need to have a reason to want revenge. If you have a group of five super powered beings who want revenge but we don't see why, I don't think it would work. Maybe they could be a team that Lex creates to take on Superman but not necessarily a revenge squad.

I think Lex needs some back up in a film whether its Mettallo or Parasite I'd be happy with either. However, I would love a film with Brainiac and maybe Lex helps take him down.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #253
jacobed
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,646
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Nolabs giving the credit to Zack I hope everyone else does too when this amazing film (I know I havent seen it but i have faith) is released.
Agreed, Snyder deserves full credit. Hopefully they don't blame Nolan either if its bad.

jacobed is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #254
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,999
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Agree, less flamboyant. But maniacal, egotistical and brilliant in a similar fashion. The way that Moriarty gets so frustrated (and bored) if Sherlock doesn't keep up with him is fantastic.

I don't want Supes to be the dumb brute, but Lex should be so clever he toys with Superman for fun.
Ya, would like to see the battle of wit too, besides the physical battle. However I would like to see superman is losing/trapped because he is gauging Lex’s humanity. Would like to see there is still ounce of goodness left in the wicked Lex Luthor.

__________________
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso
sf2 is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #255
Zionite1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,449
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
The problem with a revenge squad is they need to have a reason to want revenge. If you have a group of five super powered beings who want revenge but we don't see why, I don't think it would work. Maybe they could be a team that Lex creates to take on Superman but not necessarily a revenge squad.

I think Lex needs some back up in a film whether its Mettallo or Parasite I'd be happy with either. However, I would love a film with Brainiac and maybe Lex helps take him down.
Youre right- Revenge cant work as a motivation for the Squad-so all the writers have to do is replace the motivation with something else e.g Money,power etc.

I agree that Lex needs backup but I dont think Metallo and/or parasite alone are good enough.He needs something more if the threat is to rival Zods in MOS.
I do also want Braniac but I understand well why they might not use him in MOS 2

Zionite1 is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #256
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,844
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Youre right- Revenge cant work as a motivation for the Squad-so all the writers have to do is replace the motivation with something else e.g Money,power etc.

I agree that Lex needs backup but I dont think Metallo and/or parasite alone are good enough.He needs something more if the threat is to rival Zods in MOS.
I do also want Braniac but I understand well why they might not use him in MOS 2
I think Lex, Parasite and Mettallo would work fine tbh. They both can make Superman powerless so would provide a very big challenge for him. They may also take him to where he's never been feeling powerless or helpless. I think it could work very well. I can see Brainiac been saved for the 3rd film.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #257
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.
Side-Kick
 
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 531
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I think Lex, Parasite and Mettallo would work fine tbh. They both can make Superman powerless so would provide a very big challenge for him. They may also take him to where he's never been feeling powerless or helpless. I think it could work very well. I can see Brainiac been saved for the 3rd film.
Taking away Superman's powers is a retarded concept, honestly, and just weak storytelling.

And why is it that when Superman's "powers" are taken away, suddenly he is vulnerable to stab wounds? He has a dense molecular structure, not a force field... hence why despite being kryptonite poisoned and near dead in Superman Returns, they still couldn't get a needle in him.

He has powers, writers need to figure out how to make it work. We'll only get three Superman movies at most, and you want to make him an ordinary man in a Superman suit?

Please. Let him go full out in each film.

Coca Cola Duracell Franklin. is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #258
DChero
Out of Work Superhero
 
DChero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA U.S.A.
Posts: 1,780
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coca Cola Duracell Franklin. View Post
Taking away Superman's powers is a retarded concept, honestly, and just weak storytelling.

And why is it that when Superman's "powers" are taken away, suddenly he is vulnerable to stab wounds? He has a dense molecular structure, not a force field... hence why despite being kryptonite poisoned and near dead in Superman Returns, they still couldn't get a needle in him.

He has powers, writers need to figure out how to make it work. We'll only get three Superman movies at most, and you want to make him an ordinary man in a Superman suit?

Please. Let him go full out in each film.
I agree. I can live with one villain that makes him powerless, but we don't need to keep it going. I prefer a physical threat like Doomsday, Darkseid, Brainiac, etc. Ideally, I'd like to see Brainiac in the second and Doomsday in the third.

DChero is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #259
Dark Sentinel
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 865 Peppling Ave., Pettsburg, Gotham City
Posts: 6,998
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

If I were writing these films, and I'd already had a worked-out, over-arching plot for the trilogy as a whole, I'd go with Brainiac and Doomsday for MOS2, and halfway through the second act have Doomsday kill Superman, then Supes comes back, so on and so forth. Then in film 3 take a page from All-Star Superman and use Luthor and Solaris, have MOS3 be an adaptation of All-Star and end the trilogy with Superman flying into the sun.

Dark Sentinel is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #260
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,844
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coca Cola Duracell Franklin. View Post
Taking away Superman's powers is a retarded concept, honestly, and just weak storytelling.

And why is it that when Superman's "powers" are taken away, suddenly he is vulnerable to stab wounds? He has a dense molecular structure, not a force field... hence why despite being kryptonite poisoned and near dead in Superman Returns, they still couldn't get a needle in him.

He has powers, writers need to figure out how to make it work. We'll only get three Superman movies at most, and you want to make him an ordinary man in a Superman suit?

Please. Let him go full out in each film.
Why is it retarded? It's not like you're gonna have him powerless throughout the whole movie. I am thinking about the implications of him feeling powerless for the first time, it would make for an interesting story.

Superman looking powerless might seem like its been there done that for us Superman fans but nit the GA.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #261
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Except that TDK's action set pieces really did top BB's. There were not only more of them but saving Harvey, the ferries, and the party scene had more tension and urgency than did the main plot in BB.
I dont agree when talking scale, which I was initially referring to. Sure, there might be more at stake personally in TDK, but in BB Ra's Al Ghul tried to take out a whole city and a lot of people were involved in those scenes. The train-sequence was also bigger in scale compared to the car-chase and truck-sequence in TDK. IMO at least. BB also had the bigger car-chase with the rooftop-sequence.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #262
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,844
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I dont agree when talking scale, which I was initially referring to. Sure, there might be more at stake personally in TDK, but in BB Ra's Al Ghul tried to take out a whole city and a lot of people were involved in those scenes. The train-sequence was also bigger in scale compared to the car-chase and truck-sequence in TDK. IMO at least. BB also had the bigger car-chase with the rooftop-sequence.
I agree

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #263
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,809
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

I've never liked any usage of Kryptonite where it appears to remove Superman's powers and effectively make him human. It's too convenient, and also very difficult to understand - as mentioned above, how can his molecular structure suddenly change?

If they must use Kryptonite at some point, I'd prefer that it have the same effect on Superman as radiation does on humans - it makes us sick. And when a human is very sick, they're usually too weak to run/fight/etc. In a similar way, when Superman is in the immediate vicinity of kryptonite, it should make him so sick that he can barely use his powers. That doesn't mean his powers have disappeared, just that it will take a supreme effort and a lot of willpower for him to exert himself long enough to employ them.

elgaz is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #264
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,844
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I've never liked any usage of Kryptonite where it appears to remove Superman's powers and effectively make him human. It's too convenient, and also very difficult to understand - as mentioned above, how can his molecular structure suddenly change?

If they must use Kryptonite at some point, I'd prefer that it have the same effect on Superman as radiation does on humans - it makes us sick. And when a human is very sick, they're usually too weak to run/fight/etc. In a similar way, when Superman is in the immediate vicinity of kryptonite, it should make him so sick that he can barely use his powers. That doesn't mean his powers have disappeared, just that it will take a supreme effort and a lot of willpower for him to exert himself long enough to employ them.
Not if you use Parasite though

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #265
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,777
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I've never liked any usage of Kryptonite where it appears to remove Superman's powers and effectively make him human. It's too convenient, and also very difficult to understand - as mentioned above, how can his molecular structure suddenly change?
In terms of the fake science of Superman, “dense molecular structure” is a bad “explanation” anyway. It would mean that Supes weighs billions of tons.

Dr. is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #266
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe
 
Midnight Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Circle City (Naptown)
Posts: 3,261
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Not everything needs to be explained. It has worked for 70+ years so far. It's something you just go with.

__________________
Indiana Hype Group: http://forums.superherohype.com/group.php?groupid=141

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Midnight Black is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #267
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,979
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I've never liked any usage of Kryptonite where it appears to remove Superman's powers and effectively make him human. It's too convenient, and also very difficult to understand - as mentioned above, how can his molecular structure suddenly change?
I believe some interpretations of Superman only get their powers from the sun and don't have a dense molecular structure, so when kryptonite drives out the solar energy stored up in his body, he would be just as vulnerable as a human.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.

Last edited by Lead Cenobite; 12-28-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Lead Cenobite is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #268
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,777
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
Not everything needs to be explained. It has worked for 70+ years so far. It's something you just go with.
Actually, there has been a fair amount of explanation over those 70+ years. For instance… it occurred to writers that once he was weakened by kryptonite, Supes could be quickly dispatched by gunshot (or similar lethal means). Oops. So it was devised that kryptonite affected all superpowers except (somehow) invulnerability.

Now, there have been other interpretations of how Supes’ powers (and kryptonite) work. It’s still “explanation,” though.

Dr. is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #269
rc1980
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 36
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Actually, there has been a fair amount of explanation over those 70+ years. For instance… it occurred to writers that once he was weakened by kryptonite, Supes could be quickly dispatched by gunshot (or similar lethal means). Oops. So it was devised that kryptonite affected all superpowers except (somehow) invulnerability.

Now, there have been other interpretations of how Supes’ powers (and kryptonite) work. It’s still “explanation,” though.
Mostly and lately in the general media (smallville eg) they treat it like once his powers are taken via K Rock or leeched he is basically human... it drives me mad
He should still have a very tough epidermis
His hearing and vision enhancements

but somehow he loses all that

rc1980 is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #270
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,583
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Why should he still have those powers? His body is augmented by the sun, the Kryptonite removes those augmentations.


An explanation that is fine for me is that Kryptonite removes the protection of the sun from his cells (his powers) and the resulting contact with the Earth's environment causes him to undergo a hypersensitivity reaction (Kryptonian Allergic reaction, to autoimmune diseases).

Say that and hey presto pseudo-science has saved the day!

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #271
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction
 
Gamma Goliath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,314
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Resubscribing

__________________
"It's the possibility of a dream coming true that makes life interesting."
Gamma Goliath is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #272
mclay18
Sexed-up archery
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,187
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Does anyone know what two companies are doing the 3D conversion on Man of Steel? I've been searching up and down, but nothing concrete.

I think Prime Focus is doing some work (why would they post this news otherwise?). I'm hoping Stereo D is the second company, since their work on Avengers and Titanic were spectacular.

__________________
Think McFly Think


"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline  
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #273
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever
 
TheComicbookKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,336
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Except that TDK's action set pieces really did top BB's. There were not only more of them but saving Harvey, the ferries, and the party scene had more tension and urgency than did the main plot in BB.
Thank you. RD gets it.

Nolan changed tone of the action in BB and TDK. There were no scenes like Joker at the party circling Rachel in BB. The tension in TDK was more personal. Nolan didn't simply try and just add more explosions to the car chase from BB to TDK. He added the Batpod and ended with the Joker/Bats showdown.


I fear MOS sequel will run into the Matrix problem where the Wachowski Bro/Sis just ended escalating by adding more kung-fu to the point you got bored. "What's better than a fight against 5 agents? A 100!!!" Um.....no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
How about the destruction of a city, Reign of the Supermen-style? One thing that I haven't seen done enough in CBMs is the changing of the status quo in the real world. Like, what would happen if Hong Kong got destroyed, or if half of Australia sunk into the ocean? It was one of the cool things about the prospect of a sequel to SR, seeing how having a new moon (New Krypton) would have affected Earth.
Blowing up a city could be a different kind of tension, but only if we actually explore what it means cause I doubt we're actually going to deal with the aftermath of Metropolis' buildings falling.

__________________
"Tampa isn't a place you go. It's a place you end up"-Dave
TheComicbookKid is online now  
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #274
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,782
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I dont agree when talking scale, which I was initially referring to. Sure, there might be more at stake personally in TDK, but in BB Ra's Al Ghul tried to take out a whole city and a lot of people were involved in those scenes. The train-sequence was also bigger in scale compared to the car-chase and truck-sequence in TDK. IMO at least. BB also had the bigger car-chase with the rooftop-sequence.
I can't remember the car chase scene in BB but I doubt it was bigger than the truck scene from TDK. BB's second half had several action scenes, but TDK had them scattered all the way through the movie, and the fear inspired by the Joker was an all-pervasive presence. I remember hypesters mentioning how tense their audiences were whenever the Joker appeared on screen. Ra's's plan was run-of-the-mill supervillain stuff by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
Blowing up a city could be a different kind of tension, but only if we actually explore what it means cause I doubt we're actually going to deal with the aftermath of Metropolis' buildings falling.
Probably not but it would be cool if Metropolis's damage actually played a part in the sequel, even if it were just a visual one.

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline  
Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #275
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
I can't remember the car chase scene in BB but I doubt it was bigger than the truck scene from TDK. BB's second half had several action scenes, but TDK had them scattered all the way through the movie, and the fear inspired by the Joker was an all-pervasive presence. I remember hypesters mentioning how tense their audiences were whenever the Joker appeared on screen. Ra's's plan was run-of-the-mill supervillain stuff by comparison.
Again, I'm talking scope not story, and IMO BB was just bigger in comparison. But how can you even compare the movies if you dont remember them?

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.