The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #251
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
That would be cool although slightly less flamboyant.
Agree, less flamboyant. But maniacal, egotistical and brilliant in a similar fashion. The way that Moriarty gets so frustrated (and bored) if Sherlock doesn't keep up with him is fantastic.

I don't want Supes to be the dumb brute, but Lex should be so clever he toys with Superman for fun.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #252
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Nothing wrong with using Lex in a sequel as long as he comes with enough Firepower to rival or possibly surpass the threat we will see in MOS.Henchmen like Metallo and parasite arent going to cut it alone-Lex needs something like the entire Superman revenge squad as his firepower.

If they use lex its go big or go home.Im talking All star lex big if they want to justify passing on Braniac-again.
The problem with a revenge squad is they need to have a reason to want revenge. If you have a group of five super powered beings who want revenge but we don't see why, I don't think it would work. Maybe they could be a team that Lex creates to take on Superman but not necessarily a revenge squad.

I think Lex needs some back up in a film whether its Mettallo or Parasite I'd be happy with either. However, I would love a film with Brainiac and maybe Lex helps take him down.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #253
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Nolabs giving the credit to Zack I hope everyone else does too when this amazing film (I know I havent seen it but i have faith) is released.
Agreed, Snyder deserves full credit. Hopefully they don't blame Nolan either if its bad.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #254
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Agree, less flamboyant. But maniacal, egotistical and brilliant in a similar fashion. The way that Moriarty gets so frustrated (and bored) if Sherlock doesn't keep up with him is fantastic.

I don't want Supes to be the dumb brute, but Lex should be so clever he toys with Superman for fun.
Ya, would like to see the battle of wit too, besides the physical battle. However I would like to see superman is losing/trapped because he is gauging Lex’s humanity. Would like to see there is still ounce of goodness left in the wicked Lex Luthor.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #255
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
The problem with a revenge squad is they need to have a reason to want revenge. If you have a group of five super powered beings who want revenge but we don't see why, I don't think it would work. Maybe they could be a team that Lex creates to take on Superman but not necessarily a revenge squad.

I think Lex needs some back up in a film whether its Mettallo or Parasite I'd be happy with either. However, I would love a film with Brainiac and maybe Lex helps take him down.
Youre right- Revenge cant work as a motivation for the Squad-so all the writers have to do is replace the motivation with something else e.g Money,power etc.

I agree that Lex needs backup but I dont think Metallo and/or parasite alone are good enough.He needs something more if the threat is to rival Zods in MOS.
I do also want Braniac but I understand well why they might not use him in MOS 2

Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #256
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Youre right- Revenge cant work as a motivation for the Squad-so all the writers have to do is replace the motivation with something else e.g Money,power etc.

I agree that Lex needs backup but I dont think Metallo and/or parasite alone are good enough.He needs something more if the threat is to rival Zods in MOS.
I do also want Braniac but I understand well why they might not use him in MOS 2
I think Lex, Parasite and Mettallo would work fine tbh. They both can make Superman powerless so would provide a very big challenge for him. They may also take him to where he's never been feeling powerless or helpless. I think it could work very well. I can see Brainiac been saved for the 3rd film.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #257
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think Lex, Parasite and Mettallo would work fine tbh. They both can make Superman powerless so would provide a very big challenge for him. They may also take him to where he's never been feeling powerless or helpless. I think it could work very well. I can see Brainiac been saved for the 3rd film.
Taking away Superman's powers is a retarded concept, honestly, and just weak storytelling.

And why is it that when Superman's "powers" are taken away, suddenly he is vulnerable to stab wounds? He has a dense molecular structure, not a force field... hence why despite being kryptonite poisoned and near dead in Superman Returns, they still couldn't get a needle in him.

He has powers, writers need to figure out how to make it work. We'll only get three Superman movies at most, and you want to make him an ordinary man in a Superman suit?

Please. Let him go full out in each film.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #258
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coca Cola Duracell Franklin. View Post
Taking away Superman's powers is a retarded concept, honestly, and just weak storytelling.

And why is it that when Superman's "powers" are taken away, suddenly he is vulnerable to stab wounds? He has a dense molecular structure, not a force field... hence why despite being kryptonite poisoned and near dead in Superman Returns, they still couldn't get a needle in him.

He has powers, writers need to figure out how to make it work. We'll only get three Superman movies at most, and you want to make him an ordinary man in a Superman suit?

I agree. I can live with one villain that makes him powerless, but we don't need to keep it going. I prefer a physical threat like Doomsday, Darkseid, Brainiac, etc. Ideally, I'd like to see Brainiac in the second and Doomsday in the third.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #259
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

If I were writing these films, and I'd already had a worked-out, over-arching plot for the trilogy as a whole, I'd go with Brainiac and Doomsday for MOS2, and halfway through the second act have Doomsday kill Superman, then Supes comes back, so on and so forth. Then in film 3 take a page from All-Star Superman and use Luthor and Solaris, have MOS3 be an adaptation of All-Star and end the trilogy with Superman flying into the sun.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #260
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coca Cola Duracell Franklin. View Post

Why is it retarded? It's not like you're gonna have him powerless throughout the whole movie. I am thinking about the implications of him feeling powerless for the first time, it would make for an interesting story.

Superman looking powerless might seem like its been there done that for us Superman fans but nit the GA.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #261
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
Except that TDK's action set pieces really did top BB's. There were not only more of them but saving Harvey, the ferries, and the party scene had more tension and urgency than did the main plot in BB.
I dont agree when talking scale, which I was initially referring to. Sure, there might be more at stake personally in TDK, but in BB Ra's Al Ghul tried to take out a whole city and a lot of people were involved in those scenes. The train-sequence was also bigger in scale compared to the car-chase and truck-sequence in TDK. IMO at least. BB also had the bigger car-chase with the rooftop-sequence.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #262
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I dont agree when talking scale, which I was initially referring to. Sure, there might be more at stake personally in TDK, but in BB Ra's Al Ghul tried to take out a whole city and a lot of people were involved in those scenes. The train-sequence was also bigger in scale compared to the car-chase and truck-sequence in TDK. IMO at least. BB also had the bigger car-chase with the rooftop-sequence.
I agree

Old 12-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #263
elgaz
Side-Kick

I've never liked any usage of Kryptonite where it appears to remove Superman's powers and effectively make him human. It's too convenient, and also very difficult to understand - as mentioned above, how can his molecular structure suddenly change?

If they must use Kryptonite at some point, I'd prefer that it have the same effect on Superman as radiation does on humans - it makes us sick. And when a human is very sick, they're usually too weak to run/fight/etc. In a similar way, when Superman is in the immediate vicinity of kryptonite, it should make him so sick that he can barely use his powers. That doesn't mean his powers have disappeared, just that it will take a supreme effort and a lot of willpower for him to exert himself long enough to employ them.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #264
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I've never liked any usage of Kryptonite where it appears to remove Superman's powers and effectively make him human. It's too convenient, and also very difficult to understand - as mentioned above, how can his molecular structure suddenly change?

If they must use Kryptonite at some point, I'd prefer that it have the same effect on Superman as radiation does on humans - it makes us sick. And when a human is very sick, they're usually too weak to run/fight/etc. In a similar way, when Superman is in the immediate vicinity of kryptonite, it should make him so sick that he can barely use his powers. That doesn't mean his powers have disappeared, just that it will take a supreme effort and a lot of willpower for him to exert himself long enough to employ them.
Not if you use Parasite though

Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #265
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
In terms of the fake science of Superman, “dense molecular structure” is a bad “explanation” anyway. It would mean that Supes weighs billions of tons.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #266
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Not everything needs to be explained. It has worked for 70+ years so far. It's something you just go with.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #267
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
I believe some interpretations of Superman only get their powers from the sun and don't have a dense molecular structure, so when kryptonite drives out the solar energy stored up in his body, he would be just as vulnerable as a human.

Last edited by Lead Cenobite; 12-28-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #268
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
Not everything needs to be explained. It has worked for 70+ years so far. It's something you just go with.
Actually, there has been a fair amount of explanation over those 70+ years. For instance… it occurred to writers that once he was weakened by kryptonite, Supes could be quickly dispatched by gunshot (or similar lethal means). Oops. So it was devised that kryptonite affected all superpowers except (somehow) invulnerability.

Now, there have been other interpretations of how Supes’ powers (and kryptonite) work. It’s still “explanation,” though.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #269
rc1980
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Actually, there has been a fair amount of explanation over those 70+ years. For instance… it occurred to writers that once he was weakened by kryptonite, Supes could be quickly dispatched by gunshot (or similar lethal means). Oops. So it was devised that kryptonite affected all superpowers except (somehow) invulnerability.

Now, there have been other interpretations of how Supes’ powers (and kryptonite) work. It’s still “explanation,” though.
Mostly and lately in the general media (smallville eg) they treat it like once his powers are taken via K Rock or leeched he is basically human... it drives me mad
He should still have a very tough epidermis
His hearing and vision enhancements

but somehow he loses all that

Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #270
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Why should he still have those powers? His body is augmented by the sun, the Kryptonite removes those augmentations.

An explanation that is fine for me is that Kryptonite removes the protection of the sun from his cells (his powers) and the resulting contact with the Earth's environment causes him to undergo a hypersensitivity reaction (Kryptonian Allergic reaction, to autoimmune diseases).

Say that and hey presto pseudo-science has saved the day!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #271
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Resubscribing

Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #272
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Does anyone know what two companies are doing the 3D conversion on Man of Steel? I've been searching up and down, but nothing concrete.

I think Prime Focus is doing some work (why would they post this news otherwise?). I'm hoping Stereo D is the second company, since their work on Avengers and Titanic were spectacular.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #273
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Except that TDK's action set pieces really did top BB's. There were not only more of them but saving Harvey, the ferries, and the party scene had more tension and urgency than did the main plot in BB.
Thank you. RD gets it.

Nolan changed tone of the action in BB and TDK. There were no scenes like Joker at the party circling Rachel in BB. The tension in TDK was more personal. Nolan didn't simply try and just add more explosions to the car chase from BB to TDK. He added the Batpod and ended with the Joker/Bats showdown.

I fear MOS sequel will run into the Matrix problem where the Wachowski Bro/Sis just ended escalating by adding more kung-fu to the point you got bored. "What's better than a fight against 5 agents? A 100!!!" Um.....no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
How about the destruction of a city, Reign of the Supermen-style? One thing that I haven't seen done enough in CBMs is the changing of the status quo in the real world. Like, what would happen if Hong Kong got destroyed, or if half of Australia sunk into the ocean? It was one of the cool things about the prospect of a sequel to SR, seeing how having a new moon (New Krypton) would have affected Earth.
Blowing up a city could be a different kind of tension, but only if we actually explore what it means cause I doubt we're actually going to deal with the aftermath of Metropolis' buildings falling.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #274
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I can't remember the car chase scene in BB but I doubt it was bigger than the truck scene from TDK. BB's second half had several action scenes, but TDK had them scattered all the way through the movie, and the fear inspired by the Joker was an all-pervasive presence. I remember hypesters mentioning how tense their audiences were whenever the Joker appeared on screen. Ra's's plan was run-of-the-mill supervillain stuff by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
Blowing up a city could be a different kind of tension, but only if we actually explore what it means cause I doubt we're actually going to deal with the aftermath of Metropolis' buildings falling.
Probably not but it would be cool if Metropolis's damage actually played a part in the sequel, even if it were just a visual one.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #275
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
I can't remember the car chase scene in BB but I doubt it was bigger than the truck scene from TDK. BB's second half had several action scenes, but TDK had them scattered all the way through the movie, and the fear inspired by the Joker was an all-pervasive presence. I remember hypesters mentioning how tense their audiences were whenever the Joker appeared on screen. Ra's's plan was run-of-the-mill supervillain stuff by comparison.
Again, I'm talking scope not story, and IMO BB was just bigger in comparison. But how can you even compare the movies if you dont remember them?