The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #751
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Exactly!Plus it misses a great deal anout Superman

NOOOOOOO!Acceptance is the way of Dark side!

But seriously though there may be a chance that the whole"you will give them an ideal..."is just the last words jorel hologram gives to clark in the end after he becomes superman-something he comes to believe after seeing the world come to accept superman-so tthose may not be words of prophecy but words of encouragement and faith in a child...

at least i hope so
Yeah, there's this little bit of hope I have that the 'You will give them an ideal...' speech is the ending equivalent to the '... Because he's not a hero, he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a Dark Knight' in TDK as Superman flys into the sky. That would be so perfect. As like the limited Jor-El AI consciousness comes to the realization of what Kal-El can be, but it was something Clark came to himself.

I just know that if I think that though I'm just gonna be disappointed in 5 months time... I've just gotta accept that it's probably not what we'll be getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
If they are trying to distance themselves from the past films, then you'd think that they'd do so with the whole concept of Jor-el having sent his infant to Earth in order to become its champion/savior/hero.

I mean, I'd like to go back to the roots of where Jor-el and Lara just sent Clark to Earth with the hope that he may escape Krypton's ill fate and have a chance for a new life.
Exactly. And not even for a 'new life', but just 'life'. That his son can live.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #752
Flemm
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
If they are trying to distance themselves from the past films, then you'd think that they'd do so with the whole concept of Jor-el having sent his infant to Earth in order to become its champion/savior/hero.

I mean, I'd like to go back to the roots of where Jor-el and Lara just sent Clark to Earth with the hope that he may escape Krypton's ill fate and have a chance for a new life.
I think I'd prefer that as well. When I heard that bit in the trailer, my initial reaction was to hope that the context of the remarks wasn't so obvious as "Jor-el telling his son that his role was to be earth's champion."

But... that could be it, I guess.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #753
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Remember too that it's not just Jor-Els words in the teaser that indicate this. It's also the 'What if a child dreamed of becoming something other...' line from the Comic-Con trailer. As well as what we can piece together so far with Jor-El leaving a scout ship for Kal to find with his directions and Superman suit ready for him.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #754
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:

In STM, he is sent to Earth because Krypton is going to explode, no? The reason Jor-El recorded inspirational speeches for him was because he knew he would the most powerful man on Earth. And he could "inspire" people.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #755
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

In the teaser there is a line by Jonathan Kent which I vaguely remember as -

"You have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be. ......Whoever that man is, good character or bad, he's going to change the world."

That basically shows that ultimately.. it will be Clark Kent's decision on how to use his powers and for what purpose.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #756
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
In STM, he is sent to Earth because Krypton is going to explode, no? The reason Jor-El recorded inspirational speeches for him was because he knew he would the most powerful man on Earth. And he could "inspire" people.
In the context of the scenes showed on Krypton, I agree. However, by the time Clark becomes Superman, that seems to warp into Jor-el's intentions towards being something else, where he's essentially condemning his son to live a very lonely life for the sake of others and how he cannot be a hero if he has emotional attachments with anyone; heck his whole last speech to him in the Donner cut is basically making Superman feel all that more guilty in a "I told you so" type of tone.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #757
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
In the context of the scenes showed on Krypton, I agree. However, by the time Clark becomes Superman, that seems to warp into Jor-el's intentions towards being something else, where he's essentially condemning his son to live a very lonely life for the sake of others and how he cannot be a hero if he has emotional attachments with anyone; heck his whole last speech to him in the Donner cut is basically making Superman feel all that more guilty in a "I told you so" type of tone.
It's interesting you should say that, because remember the Jor-El speech from the international teaser? That whole speech from All-Star Superman that it's taken from adresses that loneliness aspect.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #758
Mig-El
Side-Kick

David Goyer talks about MOS.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #759
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig-El View Post
David Goyer talks about MOS.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Thanks! I couldn't make out on what he said last; a Un-what Hero?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #760
Mig-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thanks! I couldn't make out on what he said last; a Un-what Hero?
He says "unabashed hero" which I'm very happy to hear!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #761
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
He says "unabashed hero" which I'm very happy to hear!
Oh I see. Thanks. Just to clarify; that's a good thing right?lol

Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #762
Mig-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh I see. Thanks. Just to clarify; that's a good thing right?lol
Yeah, it's a good thing. It speaks to Superman being a straight up hero. Like what the trailer showed, young Clark can't help himself but be a hero during a bus accident. Goodness is in him all along. He doesn't conceal himself; he puts himself out there. No mask. With all the dark heroes these days, he's the distinction.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:58 AM   #763
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Yeah, it's a good thing. It speaks to Superman being a straight up hero. Like what the trailer showed, young Clark can't help himself but be a hero during a bus accident. Goodness is in him all along. He doesn't conceal himself; he puts himself out there. No mask. With all the dark heroes these days, he's the distinction.
That's Great to hear.

Yeah, I definitely didn't want a "reluctant" hero, that's for sure.

I also like on how everyone keeps mentioning/addressing on how Superman is the granddaddy of all heroes and how he's not a easy character to tackle like some have bashed him for.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #764
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Great few words from Goyer there. The mention of an unabashed hero is exactly what I want to hear. That's Superman and one of the biggest separators between him and Batman and a whole lot of superheroes.

Clark isn't ashamed of his heroic tendencies or of Superman (thus willingly turning himself in to authorities with nothing to hide other than his identity for obvious reasons) and that deep rooted desire to have humans in time to join him in the sun and accomplish wonders.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #765
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Great few words from Goyer there. The mention of an unabashed hero is exactly what I want to hear. That's Superman and one of the biggest separators between him and Batman and a whole lot of superheroes.

Clark isn't ashamed of his heroic tendencies or of Superman (thus willingly turning himself in to authorities with nothing to hide other than his identity for obvious reasons) and that deep rooted desire to have humans in time to join him in the sun and accomplish wonders.
Indeed; and considering that we live in times where we constantly see tragic events taking place, it would be a breath of fresh air every now and then to see a film that shows heroism at its finest roots being displayed and explored; especially in these genre of films; and it makes doing a Superman film for that purpose all that more better since Superman is literally all about hope.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #766
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Great quote from Goyer, and the 'unabashed hero' comment pretty much gels with what we've just been discussing.

Also on the whole Alaska-angst-exile period of the movie, I also think that after the oil rig accident is when Lois is going to find Clark who will be in hiding trying to be low profile after those workers he saved no doubt exclaim to the press that a bearded, shirtless man (that was on fire!) saved them all.

I think this is where their relationship will blossom as he will confide in her completely. His loneliness, his abilities, his loss of his adoptive father, his doomed homeworld, and how he does not know his place on this world. And she will fill him with hope and encourage him not to hide, but that the world needs him.

The small moment they share in the trailer speaks volumes of a very deep connection between them two.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #767
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Indeed; and considering that we live in times where we constantly see tragic events taking place, it would be a breath of fresh air every now and then to see a film that shows heroism at its finest roots being displayed and explored; especially in these genre of films; and it makes doing a Superman film for that purpose all that more better since Superman is literally all about hope.
seconded.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:04 AM   #768
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Great Goyer-quotes indeed. All of it true. "Unabashed"? Damn straight!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #769
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Great comments from Goyer, I think DC needs to get this guy on the DC cinematic universe. They need someone like this to sort out what to do with each character.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #770
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Great comments from Goyer, I think DC needs to get this guy on the DC cinematic universe. They need someone like this to sort out what to do with each character.
That would make sense, yes. If not as a writer then as a consultant and shepherder to maintain some sort of continuity.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #771
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

And I also like on how they keep referencing that Superman ISN'T a "Dark Character".

It's kind of funny to think though, that the BIG THREE (Snyder, Goyer, and Nolan) who are involved with the project, are three people who have either mentioned or would have been assumed by some to have once never thought of getting involved with a "Superman" project until now.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #772
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Dammit my video players not working.....
anyone give me transcript of what goyer says...aside from the "unabashed hero" comments

Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #773
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Great quote from Goyer, and the 'unabashed hero' comment pretty much gels with what we've just been discussing.

Also on the whole Alaska-angst-exile period of the movie, I also think that after the oil rig accident is when Lois is going to find Clark who will be in hiding trying to be low profile after those workers he saved no doubt exclaim to the press that a bearded, shirtless man (that was on fire!) saved them all.

I think this is where their relationship will blossom as he will confide in her completely. His loneliness, his abilities, his loss of his adoptive father, his doomed homeworld, and how he does not know his place on this world. And she will fill him with hope and encourage him not to hide, but that the world needs him.

The small moment they share in the trailer speaks volumes of a very deep connection between them two.
That would definitely be a great new take on the standard origin of their encounters and developments; plus, their whole "relationship" arc would actually fit in with the story, which isn't always the case with the romance arcs of several films, comic book genre or not.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #774
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Dammit my video players not working.....
anyone give me transcript of what goyer says...aside from the "unabashed hero" comments
Here's somewhat of a "rough" transcript of the thing:

1. Goyer said that he's "really proud of it (Man of Steel".

2. He never thought that he'd be doing a "Superman" Film, but he thought that the only way to have topped doing something like "Batman" was doing Superman's character since he's the "granddaddy" of all the superheroes.

3. Goyer said that he's trickier to do, since it's easier to do a character that's dark and has no powers. He's proud of it and can't wait for people to see it.

4. He thinks that the movie is going to be the "right" movie for the times.

5. He's happy that the movie is going to be coming out this summer since he feels that this is the kind of movie that the world needs right now; which lead to the reporter responding to that comment with "A Hero?", thus Goyer responding with his "Unabashed Hero" comment.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #775
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

I smirked at this and thought y'all might enjoy it as well:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: