4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #101
Darkness Falls
Do Try To Keep Up.....

Default Re: Les Miserables: One Thread More!

saw it today, absolutely amazing, certainly exceeded my high expectations
10/10

Better Call Saul
Darkness Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #102
acedrake
Side-Kick

SAw it on Saturday and I was in heaven. There were several sobs all through the movie and I think I was the loudest I have seen the Broadway musical, read the novel and saw almost all the films based on the story and by Rao's beard this is my favorite rendition of the classic. Loved every minute of it and the movie went very fast for me, not a single minute draged and I was purely entertained.

acedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #103
JP
Smelly

Of course I had to illustrate my favorite scene:

http://jpsketch.tumblr.com/post/3931...p-morales-2012

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #104
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthland View Post
I saw it yesterday. It won't be released until the 18th of January in Estonia, but there were some special pre-screenings. I was in a state of complete euphoria when I heard about that!

What can I say? It made me love the musical ten times more, something which I thought was not possible. I see it all in a different light now. And never have I left cinema with such feelings. Definitely the best movie I have ever seen. I went with my family, they knew nothing about the musical, but now they can't wait to see it again ...

I think Crowe absolutely ROCKED his part, and I LOVED Seyfried as well. Cinematography was splendid, as it was in the King's Speech, it was powerful and made the movie a lot more interesting. There was nothing wrong with pace or editing, and I actually liked the second act more than the first, maybe because the music was more enjoyable.

There was one or two moments when the film got boring. Both "drink with me" and "bring him home" gave the feeling "oh, great, another song", as did "Empty chairs..." (although I love this song and Eddie was so great). I think a few people left the cinema during these songs. But soon the film was OK again.

So it wasn't a completely flawless movie, but god, this movie has changed the art of movie-making, and not only musical movies. "Argo" is a flawless movie but I would unhesitatingly throw it to the garbage bin if I had to choose between this and Les Mis.

I just can't get this movie out of my head and it's not about humming the songs ... there was some applause at the end, and estonians are not the ones applauding usually...

The biggest disappointment was estonian translation. They used the translations that was once made for the stage show, where they had to carefully count the syllables. It was HORRIBLE, completely unnatural and at times completely untrue to what thety actually sang. I consider writing a letter to whoever has the authority of changing this ...
I love reviews like this.

3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Interstellar

Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #105
Earthland
Side-Kick

Thanks

I got chills every time they played the overture, which was more times than in the musical, or so it seemed. Smart decision, it's such an epic piece of music.

I can't understand the complaints about Eponine's "diminished" role. Surely everything that was in the anniversary concerts was also in the movie. Oh, and Samantha .

So little I agree with the critics: "Stars" was certainly one of the highlights. Maybe because of the production design in that scene, but I highly enjoyed this and Crowe's performance in general.

Earthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #106
Lotus
Newbie First Class

I watched it for a third time yesterday (I have a problem) and Waltz of Treachery is definitely among my favourite scenes. The Thénardiers are hilarious and I love Valjean's reprise of I Dreamed a Dream when he says Fantine has passed. Does anyone else find it a little strange that the first thing Valjean says to Cosette is "Do not be afraid of me. Show me where you live"?

Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #107
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Sounds creepier nowadays than it probably would have back then

Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #108
Lotus
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Sounds creepier nowadays than it probably would have back then
I assume he is referring to Montfermeil in general, but I still hear snickering at that part every time

Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #109
theShape
Creature of Darkness

In this film version, Anne's 'I Dreamed a Dream" was such a splendid high point for me that I think the movie peaked a little too early, never quite regaining the sheer power and emotion that was displayed in that scene.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #110
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I watched it for a third time yesterday (I have a problem) and Waltz of Treachery is definitely among my favourite scenes. The Thénardiers are hilarious and I love Valjean's reprise of I Dreamed a Dream when he says Fantine has passed. Does anyone else find it a little strange that the first thing Valjean says to Cosette is "Do not be afraid of me. Show me where you live"?
I think that he's asking her to take him to to where she lives absolves any creepiness. If it were someone who meant her harm, he wouldn't have asked her to take him to her home, he'd be taking her away.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #111
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Jackman is pretty damn Boss here.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #112
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

Saw this last night, which was my first exposure to the story having not read the book or seen the show or any of the other films...this may be my new obsession, I loved the story, especially Javert. He was just fascinating, a truly compelling character, and I loved Russell crowes performance, granted everyone was firing on all cylinders here. Stars was one of my favorite scenes. I dreamed a dream almost brought me tears. I loved all the long takes, Tom hooper really knows how to use actors in his shots. It was all about the performances, an they all delivered. I may read the book next, and check out the movie with Liam Neeson and geofrey rush.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #113
SuperBatman
Side-Kick

Just got back from seeing this movie.

My thoughts about it is I loved pretty much every moment of it. One thing though is I'm not really a big fan of musicals but I liked this one. I don't see what the hate is about Russel Crowe's singing I think him and all the stars did a great job in this and I will probably see it a few more times.

SuperBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #114
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

I would actually venture that Russell Crowe did a better job on Stars than Jackman did in Bring Him Home.

Let the flaming begin!!

~H.E.~
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #115
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Unless I'm mistaken it seemed the camera was sweeping around Crowe more often than the other actors whenever he had a solo. Didn't hate him in the movie but I was just never engaged in his character/performance. Him pinning the ribbon/medal on the kid did nothing for me.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #116
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Jackman is pretty damn Boss here.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #117
narrows101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
Saw this last night, which was my first exposure to the story having not read the book or seen the show or any of the other films...this may be my new obsession, I loved the story, especially Javert. He was just fascinating, a truly compelling character, and I loved Russell crowes performance, granted everyone was firing on all cylinders here. Stars was one of my favorite scenes. I dreamed a dream almost brought me tears. I loved all the long takes, Tom hooper really knows how to use actors in his shots. It was all about the performances, an they all delivered. I may read the book next, and check out the movie with Liam Neeson and geofrey rush.
I think a lot of people complaining about Crowe are used to seeing the way Javerts are played/sung in the stage version. I thought he was absolutely fine. And I suggest you buy or rent one of the anniversary concert shows - the Neeson/Rush movie IMO was okay, but it ended in the middle and Eponine wasn't even in it.

narrows101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #118
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Unless I'm mistaken it seemed the camera was sweeping around Crowe more often than the other actors whenever he had a solo.
The cameraman was afraid that if he got too close to Russell, he'd get beaten up.

~H.E.~
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #119
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I saw it a second time yesterday. A few new thoughts:

-Russell Crowe's "Stars" really grew on me. I think he does strain too much on the final note, but it such a beautifully played scene and the way Hooper foreshadows Javert's suicide with the implication he is always staring at the abyss but finds the law and order as his reason not to jump was very subtle. Still don't like him in "Confrontation" or "One Day More" though.

-All the raw emotions of the second half play much better. I have gotten over Hooper's overuse of long short-lensed, Dutch close-ups. Doesn't mean I think it was the best way to shoot this musical, but I just enjoyed the music/suffering much more.

-I really do like the way they visualize the "Look Down" reprise with Gavroche's intro.

-I didn't really notice it much the first time, but they really developed Eponine's character more than she is in the play. They brought back book elements like her hiding the note, reflecting more on knowing Cosette from childhood...and was I the only one who caught her saying something like, "Eponine's been around..." to Marius as he runs off? They obviously weren't going to take out her teeth or "age" her like she is in the book, but to maybe better explain Marius's lack of interest in Eponine, are they playing up that she isn't as...virginal as Cosette? That's how I took it and if so, it was an interesting idea introduced to better explain the triangle.

-Hathaway still steals the show and peaks the movie very early.

My thoughts on revisiting the film a second time.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #120
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka

My cousin, who's also a film major, had a theory about the cinematography during the Javert numbers. His were more formalistic as opposed to the long shots use for the other characters, possibly as a way of reflecting the rigid, formalist nature of the character. Seems like an approach I can see hooper going for, IMO.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #121
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrows101 View Post
I think a lot of people complaining about Crowe are used to seeing the way Javerts are played/sung in the stage version. I thought he was absolutely fine. And I suggest you buy or rent one of the anniversary concert shows - the Neeson/Rush movie IMO was okay, but it ended in the middle and Eponine wasn't even in it.
The ending of the Neeson/Rush version drives me insane.

And I really did like Russell Crowe, the more I listen to the soundtrack, the more I like him in the role, even though it's sung differently than what we're used to.

I like how they re-introduced him differently. In the stage version, his first scene after the first song is when he's about to bust Fantine, so it's automatically Javert=villian. But by bringing him in earlier and having those scenes with Valjean, it did a better job not making him an automatic bad guy, but someone who was just doing his job.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #122
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I saw it a second time yesterday. A few new thoughts:

-Russell Crowe's "Stars" really grew on me. I think he does strain too much on the final note, but it such a beautifully played scene and the way Hooper foreshadows Javert's suicide with the implication he is always staring at the abyss but finds the law and order as his reason not to jump was very subtle. Still don't like him in "Confrontation" or "One Day More" though.

-All the raw emotions of the second half play much better. I have gotten over Hooper's overuse of long short-lensed, Dutch close-ups. Doesn't mean I think it was the best way to shoot this musical, but I just enjoyed the music/suffering much more.

-I really do like the way they visualize the "Look Down" reprise with Gavroche's intro.

-I didn't really notice it much the first time, but they really developed Eponine's character more than she is in the play. They brought back book elements like her hiding the note, reflecting more on knowing Cosette from childhood...and was I the only one who caught her saying something like, "Eponine's been around..." to Marius as he runs off? They obviously weren't going to take out her teeth or "age" her like she is in the book, but to maybe better explain Marius's lack of interest in Eponine, are they playing up that she isn't as...virginal as Cosette? That's how I took it and if so, it was an interesting idea introduced to better explain the triangle.

-Hathaway still steals the show and peaks the movie very early.

My thoughts on revisiting the film a second time.
That's from the show, although I don't know if that scene has survived the cuts over the years:

"Cosette, now I remember.
Cosette, how can it be?
We were children together.
Look what's become of me.

Then when Marius returns, it's:

"Good god, ooh what a rumpus!"
"That girl, who could she be?"
"That cop, he'd like to jump us,
But he ain't smart, not he."

"Eponine, who was that girl?"
"Some bourgeois two-a-penny thing."
"Eponine, find her for me."
"What will you give me?"
"Anything!"
"Got you all excited now, but god knows what you see in her.
Aren't you all delighted now? No, I don't want your money sir!"
"Eponine, do this for me, discover where she goes."
But careful how you go, don't let her father know.
'Ponine, I'm lost until she's found!"

"You see, I told you so.
There's lots of things I know.
'Ponine, she knows her way around..."

I think her "knowing her way around" was more of a reference to having to be stuck as Marius' errand girl than her being less virginal.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #123
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
The ending of the Neeson/Rush version drives me insane.

And I really did like Russell Crowe, the more I listen to the soundtrack, the more I like him in the role, even though it's sung differently than what we're used to.

I like how they re-introduced him differently. In the stage version, his first scene after the first song is when he's about to bust Fantine, so it's automatically Javert=villian. But by bringing him in earlier and having those scenes with Valjean, it did a better job not making him an automatic bad guy, but someone who was just doing his job.
Rush was a pretty perfect Javert though. But I thought Jackman was better than Gabin, Depardieu and Neeson. He's the best Valjean I've seen.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #124
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Finally saw it. Great film, the cinematography was excellent. Certainly will be a best picture nominee. I think it's passed the successful musical film adaptation test, as it's already made more than Phantom and Sweeney Todd.

My only complaint, is I don't like when directors decide in musicals to have people bawl and sob while they are singing, I think it ruins the melodies.

Other than that just a brilliant production.

10/10

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #125
JP
Smelly

Love that so many loved it.

Still working on my third viewing. Maybe tomorrow.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote