The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #76
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Ewan Mcgregor open to return as Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
Obi-Wan shouldn't get a spin off. Episodes I-III were just as much his story as Anakins. The scene in Episode IV when Obi-Wan removes his hood and the force theme plays is a perfect intro. Our hero of the previous generation is old and in retirement now and is being called back for one last adventure (the last step in the heroes journey). This is one of the few times I think assuming he did nothing all those years is actually beneficial to the story.
I thought maybe you had changed names in order to start fresh, but I see that is not the case.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #77
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I disagree but at any rate I think the convo has changed from the opening post, I believe now most aren't bothered about Force ghost Obi-Wan appearing in the new trilogy, but instead want to see Ewan as Obi-Wan in a stand-alone movie covering his life between ROTS and ANH.
Ah, I see. I'd be okay with that. I'd rather see an Obi Wan Kenobi movie than a Han Solo movie (because I do not think that ANYONE can replace Harrison Ford) or a Yoda movie.

You know, I don't want it set on Tattooine between ROTS and ANH though. We've seen enough of Tattooine. It is a big galaxy. I want to see it. I'd kinda like to see the average day in the life of a Jedi Knight, maybe shortly after "the trials." Say that Anakin is training in the Jedi Temple and show Obi Wan on an average mission for the Republic/Jedi Order. I see it has having the potential to be kind of an Errol Flynn, old school, swashbuckling adventure. It should be fun and light.

Of course, there you run the risk of being underwhelming.

Last edited by Matt; 02-10-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #78
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday View Post
I'd be all for a movie with a beaten up Ben Kenobi strolling through the Jundland Wastes. Almost like a Western.
Aka, the upcoming, badass-sounding "Kenobi" novel.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #79
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Aka, the upcoming, badass-sounding "Kenobi" novel.
What where when how!? Title?

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #80
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

It's called Kenobi, and here's some info.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #81
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
It's called Kenobi, and here's some info.
Thanks for the link. I looked on Amazon, and this doesn't come out til September. Hope it is good. I would like to add it to my Star Was books beside Dark Lord.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #82
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I'm very very VERY excited for it. And I just remembered I've yet to read Plagueis.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #83
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ah, I see. I'd be okay with that. I'd rather see an Obi Wan Kenobi movie than a Han Solo movie (because I do not think that ANYONE can replace Harrison Ford) or a Yoda movie.

You know, I don't want it set on Tattooine between ROTS and ANH though. We've seen enough of Tattooine. It is a big galaxy. I want to see it. I'd kinda like to see the average day in the life of a Jedi Knight, maybe shortly after "the trials." Say that Anakin is training in the Jedi Temple and show Obi Wan on an average mission for the Republic/Jedi Order. I see it has having the potential to be kind of an Errol Flynn, old school, swashbuckling adventure. It should be fun and light.

Obi-Wan's arc was one of the better parts of the prequels, I'd say leave it be. There were tons of Jedi you could make a spin off movie like this about. Perhaps a young Dooku, or Qui-Gon, or better yet Mace Windu (his character has been in desperate need of some sort of character development to merit his status as a staple of the prequels anyway imo.)

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #84
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Obi-Wan's arc was one of the better parts of the prequels, I'd say leave it be. There were tons of Jedi you could make a spin off movie like this about. Perhaps a young Dooku, or Qui-Gon, or better yet Mace Windu (his character has been in desperate need of some sort of character development to merit his status as a staple of the prequels anyway imo.)
Sure, there are tons of other Jedi... But none that I, or most of the general audience really care about.

And Obi-wan's story was okay in I-III, but (imo) it was overshadowed by the crap surrounding it.

I REALLY believe that Mace Windu does NOT need to be seen again. I never saw him as a "staple" of the prequels.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #85
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Ewan on Twitter when asked if he would say yes if offered to play Obi again.

Ewan McGregor ‏@mcgregor_ewan
Yes, I would definitely be up for it. I'd rather I'd play Obi-Wan Kenobi if they needed me rather than someone else.

1. The Dark Knight | 2. Superman: The Movie | 3. Batman Begins | 4. The Avengers | 5. Batman Returns
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier | 7. X2 | 8. X-Men: Days of Future Past | 9. Spider-Man 2 | 10. The Dark Knight Rises
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #86
Bim
Side-Kick

Aww man, i missed his twitter Q&A! *kicks self*. He seems like a cool dude reading his answers though

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #87
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Aww man, i missed his twitter Q&A! *kicks self*. He seems like a cool dude reading his answers though
I just missed it by a few minutes. But he wants to come back to SW and he's looking at finally doing a Broadway show! That was cool.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #88
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

I'd prefer it be set between ROTS and ANH, showing him defending the farmers against the Tusken Raiders, learning how to communicate with Qui-Gon and mastering the Force further while watching over Luke, basically his life as a Nomad Jedi, a Ronin if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Ewan on Twitter when asked if he would say yes if offered to play Obi again.

Ewan McGregor ‏@mcgregor_ewan
Yes, I would definitely be up for it. I'd rather I'd play Obi-Wan Kenobi if they needed me rather than someone else.
I hope Disney are taking notice!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #89
georgec
Not a hero

McGregor was solid in the prequels. I wouldn't mind seeing him in brief force ghost appearances.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #90
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think it's awesome that he still has that pride and ownership of the role that he doesn't want to give it up to someone else.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #91
georgec
Not a hero

I like this interview where he jokes about the prequels not being very good.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #92
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
McGregor was solid in the prequels. I wouldn't mind seeing him in brief force ghost appearances.
To undo Alec McGuiness playing the role? No thank you. McGregor is a good actor and all but Obi-Wan is finished as a character. There's not much reason to bring him back and McGregor playing the role wouldn't be congruous with the OT. We already have Hayden Christensen's face plastered on Sebastian Shaw's body at the end of Return of the Jedi for no good reason, lets not perpetuate it.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #93
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Let's. I want to see Obi's early post-RotS life.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #94
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
I just missed it by a few minutes. But he wants to come back to SW and he's looking at finally doing a Broadway show! That was cool.
Indeed! i'd love to see Ewan and Hugh Jackman in a musical (be it Broadway or a movie) together.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #95
steintym
Stay Frosty

McGregor as Obi-Wan was one of the highlights of the prequels in my opinion. I also would love to see more from the events between III and IV. A movie or series taking place during that time period with McGregor back would be awesome.

steintym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #96
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
Sure, there are tons of other Jedi... But none that I, or most of the general audience really care about.
Most of the audience arguably hasn't cared too much about Star Wars by name value alone since 2008.

Quote:
And Obi-wan's story was okay in I-III, but (imo) it was overshadowed by the crap surrounding it.
Yeah, Episode II especially I'd say is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. However this is his story, these were his adventures as the heroic General Kenobi Leia calls for in A New Hope. Given you share my disposition on the prequels surely you cans see why I am not inclined to see a child/pre teen Luke running around or Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon explaining things ruining the force even more. Personally I'm fine with him being a lonely old man who lives in a hut and talks to a dead guy for 20 years, and I am a firm believer in the ole saying "If it aint broke don't fix it".

Quote:
I REALLY believe that Mace Windu does NOT need to be seen again. I never saw him as a "staple" of the prequels.
I don't think you understand how much I hated his character, Samuel L was HORRIBLY miscast/miswritten/misdirected and I was very happy when he was finally gone. Being said you have no idea how many people loved him for being the token black Jedi. A story could be built around his character sure, with a new actor and a new director, it could definitely work. Qui-Gon was the only memorable character from the Phantom Menace and the only Jedi in the prequels who acted like Ben Kenobi and Luke did in the originals. (probably due to the fact he was originally written as Obi-Wan). So yes I think a movie about him that gave some insight to his past, his relationship with Dooku, his training of Obi-Wan could be decent.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #97
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
To undo Alec McGuiness playing the role? No thank you. McGregor is a good actor and all but Obi-Wan is finished as a character. There's not much reason to bring him back and McGregor playing the role wouldn't be congruous with the OT. We already have Hayden Christensen's face plastered on Sebastian Shaw's body at the end of Return of the Jedi for no good reason, lets not perpetuate it.
One of the biggest examples of evidence against Lucas, given he made this change for the DVD which was released shortly before Revenge of the Sith, using this effectively a marketing ploy. Disney has the rights to this film now though so hopefully this can be undone. However I hope they don't put Nub Nub back in, that was a horrible way to end both the trilogy and the arc of Anakin.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #98
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
However I hope they don't put Nub Nub back in, that was a horrible way to end both the trilogy and the arc of Anakin.
How can u hate Yub Nub? (now i cant stop singing it even if i dont understand squat of what the words are lol).

Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #99
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Changed names to turn each thread into the same crap as before.....

Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #100
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
How can u hate Yub Nub? (now i cant stop singing it even if i dont understand squat of what the words are lol).
I'm just not real big on it. Idk maybe it's just because I grew up with the special editions so I'm used to the other one though.