The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #101
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Default Re: Box office for Amazing Spider-Man 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
You don't think that Sony had a billion in mind when they decided to reboot? Of course they did. They saw how close SM3 was and figured this new direction was the ticket to getting there, especially after TDK success. They even stated how they wanted to make history again at the box office with Webb and co. The sequel falling short of a billion is a big fail, even if the film is miraculously more then typical summer fare.
I am pretty sure not even the most optimistic guy at sony expected billion from TASM

Anything less than TASM's take will be considered a failure,anything more will obviously mean success.How any superhero franchises can boast off two 750M movies with the 3rd still to come? Not many I suppose

Last edited by Spiderdevil; 01-04-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Spiderdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #102
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
IM3 is 900M easy,no doubt about it.Marvel's studio's strongest character and coming after a phenonal Avengers

MOS will be near 600m-700m,a bit near TASM's final gross of it is really good(which I dont think it'll be though)

The wolverine should come aroung 300-350m
I wouldn't say $900 million easy for IM3. It could reach that amount, but I doubt it.

We'll see for MOS. I think the movie will definitely be good, but the trailer didn't thrill me. The Wolverine will probably do about the same as X-Men Origins.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #103
Picard Sisko

Quote:
I am pretty sure not even the most optimistic guy at sony expected billion from TASM

Anything less than TASM's take will be considered a failure,anything more will obviously mean success
Exactly.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #104
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I wouldn't say $900 million easy for IM3. It could reach that amount, but I doubt it.

We'll see for MOS. I think the movie will definitely be good, but the trailer didn't thrill me. The Wolverine will probably do about the same as X-Men Origins.
I think TA will have a thing to do with it

As for MOS,not too confident about Zach Snyder directing it,the trailer so far looks llack lustre aswell.
But the thing is,Superman as a character is not famous overseas,and overseas popularity is extremely important as far as the box office is concerned,it is why IM1 made 550m or something WW despite being an excellent movie while TASM made 750m despite not being not so good

Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #105
Picard Sisko

Quote:
I think TA will have a thing to do with it
I still don't think it will make that much money though. The only way to know is to wait and see.

Quote:
As for MOS,not too confident about Zach Snyder directing it,the trailer so far looks llack lustre aswell.
I don't think it looks lackluster, just didn't blow me away.
Quote:
But the thing is,Superman as a character is not famous overseas,and overseas popularity is extremely important as far as the box office is concerned,it is why IM1 made 550m or something WW despite being an excellent movie while TASM made 750m despite not being not so good
The GA seems to disagree with that. It did get 81% on RT for the audience ratings. And once again, the movie not being so good is your opinion. Outside of these boards, I haven't heard any complaints about the movie from anyone else except a few people.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #106
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:

Anything less than TASM's take will be considered a failure,anything more will obviously mean success.How any superhero franchises can boast off two 750M movies with the 3rd still to come? Not many I suppose
I was talking about the sequel. The first film did what I expected.

Nolan's reboot was the inspiration. First rebuild the Spider-Man brand and win over the skeptics and obnoxious Raimi fanboys with a fresh take and high quality film. Then see the big payoff come in the sequel (like TDK). I don't think Sony was too surprised that TASM didn't crack a billion, but I guarantee they had definite expectations for that number when it comes to the sequel. They missed the creative mark big time with the first film and the sequel will fall short of a billion because of it. That would be a failure in my eyes. When a Spider-Man film gets numbers on par with Iron Man then there is a problem in execution. They'll pay the price with critics and audiences for playing it safe.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #107
Picard Sisko

If TASM2 doesn't make a billion dollars, who cares? Sony executives aren't going to lose any sleep because their movie made $800 million. The GA is overall happy with TASM, and I'm sure they want more.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #108
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

All any movie has to do in order to be successful is double it's budget at the box office.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #109
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Yeah your right, who cares. What does it matter if it makes 600 m? As long as people are happy.... I should lower my standards to that of Sony.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #110
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Yeah your right, who cares. What does it matter if it makes 600 m? As long as people are happy.... I should lower my standards to that of Sony.
What are you talking about? I said who cares if it doesn't make a billion? Only 14 movies have done so, 4 or 5 of which aren't even worthy of making that much IMO.

If the movie made $600 million, then that would be a decrease in profits from TASM, which would be a failure IMO. But if the movie made a good $800-$900 million, that would NOT be a failure.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #111
Spiderdevil
Side-Kick

Quote:
I was talking about the sequel. The first film did what I expected.

Nolan's reboot was the inspiration. First rebuild the Spider-Man brand and win over the skeptics and obnoxious Raimi fanboys with a fresh take and high quality film. Then see the big payoff come in the sequel (like TDK). I don't think Sony was too surprised that TASM didn't crack a billion, but I guarantee they had definite expectations for that number when it comes to the sequel. They missed the creative mark big time with the first film and the sequel will fall short of a billion because of it. That would be a failure in my eyes. When a Spider-Man film gets numbers on par with Iron Man then there is a problem in execution. They'll pay the price with critics and audiences for playing it safe.

So 750m is on par with Iron man?
And how many sequels have cracked a billion ?
Better still,how many superhero movies have done so? You make it seem like its kids play

Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #112
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
What are you talking about? I said who cares if it doesn't make a billion? Only 14 movies have done so, 4 or 5 of which aren't even worthy of making that much IMO.

If the movie made $600 million, then that would be a decrease in profits from TASM, which would be a failure IMO. But if the movie made a good $800-$900 million, that would NOT be a failure.
See SM3 (and sarcasm). It came close and would have been the first comic film to hit that mark if it wasn't pure dog s**t. The potential is easily there for this character with a good film, that's what I'm talking about. My expectations are clearly higher then yours for what this franchise could and should be.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 01-04-2013 at 06:53 PM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #113
Picard Sisko

I have high expectations for the franchise, but not in terms of box office. I couldn't care less how much the movie makes as long as it isn't a bomb and it earns enough to warrant a sequel.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #114
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Quote:
I have high expectations for the franchise, but not in terms of box office. I couldn't care less how much the movie makes as long as it isn't a bomb and it earns enough to warrant a sequel.
Thats pragmatic.

I know this character/franchise can still be one of the giants and don't want it to be lost in the shuffle of diminishing returns.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #115
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

I don't care either, big box office doesn't mean it's a great film. Look at Dredd.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #116
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

I'll take both.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #117
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
I don't care either, big box office doesn't mean it's a great film. Look at Dredd.

The Shawshank Redemption is referred to as one of the greatest movies of all time, and it practically bombed at the box office.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #118
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Classic case of deflection going on, I'll quit before this thread becomes a semiotics discussion.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #119
Picard Sisko

Yeah its best we move on from this.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #120
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I like how people act like ASM severely disappointed when It made only 30 million less than Spider-man 2.

Not bad for a reboot that followed one of the worst comic book movies.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #121
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Yeah, but the fact that it was in 3D doesn't make it any better.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #122
TheForgotten
Side-Kick

Personally I don't mind how much The Amazing Spider-Man 2, (hopefully called The Spectacular Spider-Man), will make, just as long as it's better than the first.

That being said I could see it making somewhere around $850M worldwide this time around.

TheForgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #123
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
It has an 81 on RT with the GA. That's higher than SM1 and SM3 and even with SM2. Granted there aren't as many votes.
And after fanboys went and voted SM1-3 down. All 3 of their RT scores went down this past year for some odd reason.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #124
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I like how people act like ASM severely disappointed when It made only 30 million less than Spider-man 2.

Not bad for a reboot that followed one of the worst comic book movies.
$30 million less WW not adjusted for inflation and not adjusted for 3D and not adjusted for new overseas markets. ASM did okay...it made a profit. It didn't do that great considering it had a $225 million budget with 3D surcharges. It did not do very good domestic at all. It did very mediocre domestic. Overseas saved it's ass. SM2 kicked ass domestic so I have no idea what you are talking about.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #125
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Box office matters little to a film like the Shawshank Redemption, but you better hope that a franchise film series like Spider-man makes enough dough or you'll soon be seeing a reboot, a reimagining or Spider-man lingering in development limbo.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote