Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Lol, nice reply there.

Quote:
I've always called it that we'll be getting another reboot in 2022. Webb does his trilogy, Sony will want another reboot, another trilogy, Sony will want a reboot...unless Marvel Studios interrupts that cycle. There's just no way Sony is going to continue Webb's series as a true and true Spider-Man series when it hasn't achieved really anything to be the true and true Spider-Man series.
We will never get the "true and true Spider-Man series," same as we will never get the "definitive Batman series." There will always be new incarnations, different versions, etc.

A some point, I figure that Sony will stop making Spider-Man movies. At some point. Then the rights would expire or they would sell them to marvel/Disney. Until then I think that Sony is going to continue with the Webb series/franchise that has been set up.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 03-28-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #252
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post

We will never get the "true and true Spider-Man series," same as we will never get the "definitive Batman series." There will always be new incarnations, different versions, etc.

A some point, I figure that Sony will stop making Spider-Man movies. At some point. Then the rights would expire or they would sell them to marvel/Disney. Until then I think that Sony is going to continue with the Webb series/franchise that has been set up.
People keep begging for that, but I really hope it doesn't happen. So that he becomes yet another stepping stone towards an Avengers movie, as if that were the only thing superhero movies can aspire to now? Say what you want about Sony, but they’ve managed to produce two top-quality Spidey films… along with two subpar ones, one terrible (SM3) and one barely passable (TASM). I’ll wait for TASM 2 before hopping on the “rights back to Marvel” wagon. That’ll be the scale-tipper.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #253
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
You do not understand what I mean(but nice shot at trying to bring up Batman in this topic ), but what I am referring to is Sony trying to find a series that they could continue and make more than just three films. And that'll never happen I fear because many thought Raimi would've been that director, even the talk of six films from both Raimi and Arad and that never happened.

Quote:
Hah, keep dreaming on that. Sony letting go their most prized possession; highly doubt that will happen until Marvel Studios tries its hardest to get back Spidey.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #254
Picard Sisko

Quote:
You do not understand what I mean(but nice shot at trying to bring up Batman in this topic ), but what I am referring to is Sony trying to find a series that they could continue and make more than just three films. And that'll never happen I fear because many thought Raimi would've been that director, even the talk of six films from both Raimi and Arad and that never happened.
Well its hard to understand what you meant by "true and true". I'm pretty sure they could make more than three films with Webb's franchise. It never happened with Raimi simply because he left. Sony gave him a lot of crap with Spider-Man 3, so the man knew when to back down and walk away.

I think after a certain point, they would do a James Bond thing with him, and just get a new actor and continue on making more films.

Quote:
Hah, keep dreaming on that. Sony letting go their most prized possession; highly doubt that will happen until Marvel Studios tries its hardest to get back Spidey.
HAH. Well I guess we will be seeing a new Spider-Man movie at least every 5 years then.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #255
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Well its hard to understand what you meant by "true and true". I'm pretty sure they could make more than three films with Webb's franchise. It never happened with Raimi simply because he left. Sony gave him a lot of crap with Spider-Man 3, so the man knew when to back down and walk away.

I think after a certain point, they would do a James Bond thing with him, and just get a new actor and continue on making more films.
Did Sony learn their lesson? Would they not try to bury their nose into the development so Webb could make more sequels? Who knows. But with how they did and was already really thinking about a reboot while Raimi was working on Spider-Man 4...it's hard to tell.

Quote:
HAH. Well I guess we will be seeing a new Spider-Man movie at least every 5 years then.
I'm already counting on The Spectacular Spider-Man in 2022

Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #256
Picard Sisko

I think after this trilogy (or quadrilogy) is over, they should do a "semi-reboot," and just give us more Spider-Man films that are loosely connected to the Webb films. So maybe by then Peter is married to MJ, is in college, or working as a teacher, has already faced the Lizard, Electro, Green Goblin, etc., and now continues with more stories.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #257
Picard Sisko

I do see the Ravencroft Institute as potential for gathering the Sinister Six.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #258
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Nothing should be loosely connected to Webb's films. It should be on its own two feet, but with just no reboot with an older Peter, possibly giving away hints of the past through flashbacks and what not, but nothing loosely connected to Webb's series at all. That would just be a slap to the face of anyone who isn't a fan of Webb's series from the jump. It would be as if someone would hate a Batman reboot being loosely connected to Nolan's trilogy when they didn't like or hated Nolan's films.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #259
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Nothing should be loosely connected to Webb's films. It should be on its own two feet, but with just no reboot with an older Peter, possibly giving away hints of the past through flashbacks and what not, but nothing loosely connected to Webb's series at all. That would just be a slap to the face of anyone who isn't a fan of Webb's series from the jump. It would be as if someone would hate a Batman reboot being loosely connected to Nolan's trilogy when they didn't like or hated Nolan's films.
LOOSELY connected. It would not be "a slap to the face of anyone who isn't a fan of Webb's series from the jump."

Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #260
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Again, it would be the same if someone didn't want a Batman film to be LOOSELY connected to Nolan's trilogy.

So a future Spider-Man film doesn't need to be LOOSELY connected to Webb's series.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #261
PeterBenParker
Side-Kick

Though I'm really late:

First Viewing: 9/10
Blu-Ray Viewing (which was a dozen times): 9/10

My only gripes were with The Lizard, mostly the lack of his family. Had he been written better, it would've reached a 10/10 from me.

I love this movie, and it's easily my favorite Spider-Man film yet.

PeterBenParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #262
OcStat
Side-Kick

I agree, still enjoy the movie a lot, but if they kept a few (not all) of the Lizard's deleted scenes, he could have been a much more compelling character.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #263
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

I should update my rating as well:

I saw the movie again for 2 weeks ago, and it is absolutely a 9.5/10 for me. I have had really mixed feelings of this movie and now having watched it again, I appreciate it a lot more. It isn't exactly the movie I wanted, it gave something different but I liked that just the same. I got too caught up in what the movie could've had instead of looking at what it already had

Also a part of my criticism came from the criticism of others. After the first viewing of the movie it was a 9.5 for me, but as time went on, because of all the bashing the movie got, I almost started to feel ashamed for liking the film as much as I did. Of course I recognize that it has flaws, but I still really really liked what they did with the film. Still, all the rants about the movie slowly got me and I started to rant a little myself. But now I realized, I should be honest to myself. If I really like it I'm gonna say I like it, and if I dislike it I'm gonna say that I don't like the movie, and in this case I really do like it

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #264
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

TASM is a 4/5 to me.

It would be more but they left some loose ends with the origin and the Lizard wasn't that spectacular villain. Still pretty good and second only to Spider-man 2.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #265
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
I should update my rating as well:

I saw the movie again for 2 weeks ago, and it is absolutely a 9.5/10 for me. I have had really mixed feelings of this movie and now having watched it again, I appreciate it a lot more. It isn't exactly the movie I wanted, it gave something different but I liked that just the same. I got too caught up in what the movie could've had instead of looking at what it already had

Also a part of my criticism came from the criticism of others. After the first viewing of the movie it was a 9.5 for me, but as time went on, because of all the bashing the movie got, I almost started to feel ashamed for liking the film as much as I did. Of course I recognize that it has flaws, but I still really really liked what they did with the film. Still, all the rants about the movie slowly got me and I started to rant a little myself. But now I realized, I should be honest to myself. If I really like it I'm gonna say I like it, and if I dislike it I'm gonna say that I don't like the movie, and in this case I really do like it
I know that feel. It was a situation where I thoroughly enjoyed ASM the two times I watched it in the theaters however over the course of the next 4 months with the constant debates and criticisms it began to affect me. It's difficult to listen to all that while trying to defend your views and because so much time passes in between actually watching the movie, it begins to make you wonder "did I actually like the movie that much in the first place?" Fortunately, once I was able to see the film again on BR, I was able to sweep those criticisms aside. Yes, there are some flaws however it's good to know I was honest with myself and can say that I def do like ASM.

Quote:
I got too caught up in what the movie could've had instead of looking at what it already had
And I think we're all guilty of this at one point or another. If it's not from the outside criticisms coming in, it's due to our own brains constantly asking 'what if?' I think that's a product of how much we love something...the more you care about it, the more you want it to be perfect; for lack of a better word.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #266
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I still can't get over some of my problems with this film and am really wishing the film was different because I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy TAS-M 2. My problems with the lack of major development with Connors and the idea that Raimi gave his Otto pretty much a Connors-like spin and how it worked better when Connors had basically nothing, the huge editing problem that takes me away from so many scenes, the inconsistency of certain details like Lizard's lab coat and Peter having new webshooters when Lizard destroyed them(and now all of a sudden he has brand new webshooters and a spiffy new costume in the sequel), the incompetence of Dr. Ratha just vanishing when they deleted his death scene, the breaking of the promise....just....blah. I still give it a 6/10 just for what I do like, but it could have been so much more.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #267
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
I still can't get over some of my problems with this film and am really wishing the film was different because I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy TAS-M 2. My problems with the lack of major development with Connors and the idea that Raimi gave his Otto pretty much a Connors-like spin and how it worked better when Connors had basically nothing, the huge editing problem that takes me away from so many scenes, the inconsistency of certain details like Lizard's lab coat and Peter having new webshooters when Lizard destroyed them(and now all of a sudden he has brand new webshooters and a spiffy new costume in the sequel), the incompetence of Dr. Ratha just vanishing when they deleted his death scene, the breaking of the promise....just....blah. I still give it a 6/10 just for what I do like, but it could have been so much more.
What's wrong with him having new web shooters? He made new ones, I fail to see the issue there, and if your complaining because lizard isn't wearing a lab coat then that's nothing to ruin a film at all

I have to say quite a few of things you point out seem quite small, I could pin point alot of things like that in SM2 but doesn't ruin your enjoyment

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 06-18-2013 at 06:44 PM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #268
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
What's wrong with him having new web shooters? He made new ones, I fail to see the issue there
I find there to be some serious inconsistency that his webshooters were destroyed, he makes new ones at the very end and then he has brand spanking new ones in the sequel now. It would have flowed all the better if there wasn't a final swing in the first film with those webshooters being destroyed and from then on out he uses the new ones we see in the new suit.

Quote:
and if your complaining because lizard isn't wearing a lab coat then that's nothing to ruin a film at all
It's not that he wears or doesn't wear a lab coat, it's the inconsistency of it all. Connors has a lab coat on, becomes the Lizard, fights Spidey in the sewers without one. Next time he has a labcoat on him when he swims his way up the sewers to the high school bathroom.

Quote:
I have to say quite a few of things you point out seem quite small, I could pin point alot of things like that in SM2 but doesn't ruin your enjoyment
To you they are deemed small and no mater what way you want to twist it, consistency is a big deal for me, and that's why I bring those two up. But, hey, do you really want me to tell you what bugs me about TAS-M? Inconsistencies aside as I've already told you about and my problems with Lizard as a whole.

Not a fan that they wanted to give Richard Parker a storyline but they chose to and the first film didn't follow up on it at all. The "untold story" element killed any intrigue with the film.

I didn't care for Garfield's Peter Parker or his quips as Spider-Man, although I found him to be at least a more suitable Spidey nonetheless. Just need help with his quips.

Didn't like how Uncle Ben died or that entire scene with the chocolate milk.

There's a scene where Connors goes to Peter's house to ask how he was doing after Ben's death which was taken out of the theatrical cut. Again, makes Connors all the more less of what kind of character he could've been.

The mutated rat was a joke.

Captain Stacy dying by Lizard = didn't care for it. Webb seems to be focused on having Gwen die by Green Goblin but doesn't use the correct villain with George Stacy's death. Wasn't a fan of that idea.

And as I mentioned, the whole promise situation. Bleh.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #269
blake c
Side-Kick

Awesome Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

1st viewing-9
2nd viewing-9.5
Was really excited about the movie actually being made for comic book fans, the webshooters and in the major inclusion of oscorp sold. The suit was amazing, most people don't know, but it was based off of the suit from the comics called With Great Power. Also Andrew Garfield as Spiderman really seemed to embody the character for me and as Peter Parker reminded me as a lot like myself. After rewatching it multiple times, I only find more love for it, and now it brings up such fond memories of last year, which are long gone sadly

blake c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #270
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

I wasn't that impressed when it first came out because I really wasn't ready for a new Spider-man reboot without Maguire,Raimi;etc. I mean,I liked ASM when I first saw it,but it didn't have that epic feeling that the previous films did. But after some time and watching it again,I really liked it more than I did. It's not perfect,but very few things are. While I like his Spidey,I didn't care much for Garfield's Peter Parker,even now. In some scenes he really comes across as a jerk. But even now,I'll admit,I just don't have that same excitement about this series that I did for Raimi's. That's not a knock on these new movies,but I think that since Raimi's movies were Spidey's first and the great memories that gave me,it's hard to top,I guess.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #271
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

At the Theater 8 but after several times 8.5
my favorite Spider-Man yet

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:08 AM   #272
blake c
Side-Kick

It seems the more I watch this movie, the more I love it. It has so many underlying messages (as most anything to do with Spiderman does) to it. Defiantly one of my favorites. Btw I had read that Connors hadn't wasn't wrote well. I think he was done great, but only when I watch the movie with the special features. Sony really shouldn't have deleted those scenes. Some of them are really touching, especially the one when Conners visits Peter's house when Uncle Ben dies.

blake c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #273
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I rewatched this movie on HBO last Sunday and its still not that spectacular compare to Raimi's films.

6.5/10.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #274
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I rewatched this movie on HBO last Sunday and its still not that spectacular compare to Raimi's films.

6.5/10.
Rewatching Rami films made me like it more. Stone was a huge improvement over Dunst...

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #275
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

I just put the movie on while I was doing stuff the other day & I really enjoyed it still. Just as much as last year.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

TIMESPACE.
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote