Men in Black - 7/10

Men in Black II - 4/10

Men in Black III - 6/10

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #52
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

I haven't seen the first two MIB movies in such a long time, so its hard to really rate them. I'll give the third one a 6.5 or a 7. I had such low expectations for the movie, but I really enjoyed it when I watched it. The first 20 minutes or so are pretty dull for me, but once J finally goes back in time, the movie really picks up. My rating would be higher if:

1. They explained why people crave chocolate milk if they are experiencing the effects of time travel.
2. Explained why J was still an agent if K died long ago.
3. If Tommy Lee Jones didn't look like he wanted nothing to do with the movie.

What really made the movie for me was Josh Brolin's performance as a young Agent K. He really did an excellent job in that role, and I bought it.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #53
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
1. They explained why people crave chocolate milk if they are experiencing the effects of time travel.
2. Explained why J was still an agent if K died long ago.
I don't mind the chocolate milk, but that thing with J is really getting to me, who recruited him?

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #54
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I don't mind the chocolate milk, but that thing with J is really getting to me, who recruited him?
I suppose you could that say they noticed people crave chocolate milk when they experience the effects of time travel, but even the MIB have no explanation of it.

With J, I guess you could say that it was his fate to be one of the MIB, and he was simply recruited by someone else. I think they should have made it so that he wasn't an agent at all in that alternate timeline.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #55
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Just saw it for the first time a few minutes ago, right now I'd give it a 5 or 6.

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #56
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
Just saw it for the first time a few minutes ago, right now I'd give it a 5 or 6.
Ouch. Just curious, how do you rate each of the Raimi films?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #57
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I initially gave it a 7/10. Now I score it in the 7 -7.5 area. In my case it's in the latter part of that score, creeping up to 8. The movie was better to me watching it again. Yes the origin is done again - albeit a bit differently, but I like the rather straightforward flow of it and the performances from Garfield and Stone especially.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #58
Picard Sisko

I think this movie created the grounds for the new franchise very well. The sequel has so much potential.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #59
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
I think this movie created the grounds for the new franchise very well. The sequel has so much potential.
Agreed on both points.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #60
TheForgotten
Side-Kick

Quote:
If anything, I wish there was more of the Lizard in the movie.
I wish there was more Dr. Connors. Lizard was a good amount. Though I still think the action was a little bit heavy.

TheForgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #61
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Agree and disagree. I don't agree that the reboot created the grounds for a new franchise but I do agree that the sequel has potential. They went through the origin, they could actually give us a well-developed villain especially with Electro that they could do something new to a B-rated villain and Garfield's Peter can win me over in the sequel. As you said, the sequel will be the most important film of Webb's Spidey series as it will make it or break it.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #62
SpiderMan'sBoot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Agree and disagree. I don't agree that the reboot created the grounds for a new franchise but I do agree that the sequel has potential. They went through the origin, they could actually give us a well-developed villain especially with Electro that they could do something new to a B-rated villain and Garfield's Peter can win me over in the sequel. As you said, the sequel will be the most important film of Webb's Spidey series as it will make it or break it.
Absolutely this.

SpiderMan'sBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #63
Picard Sisko

Quote:
I don't agree that the reboot created the grounds for a new franchise but I do agree that the sequel has potential.
By showing us the origin, setting up Oscorp as the "evil corporation," introducing us to new characters and the parents storyline, TASM created the grounds for the franchise, or at least this current trilogy.

Quote:
They could actually give us a well-developed villain especially with Electro that they could do something new to a B-rated villain and Garfield's Peter can win me over in the sequel. As you said, the sequel will be the most important film of Webb's Spidey series as it will make it or break it.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #64
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
By showing us the origin, setting up Oscorp as the "evil corporation," introducing us to new characters and the parents storyline, TASM created the grounds for the franchise, or at least this current trilogy.
The bold is the only thing there interests me moving forward. Everything else is cannon fodder, imo.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #65
Picard Sisko

Quote:
The bold is the only thing there interests me moving forward. Everything else is cannon fodder, imo.
What interests YOU is another story. The parents story is important in this franchise, and obviously ties into Oscorp. Its part of what has been set up for future movies.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #66
chaseter
Bland User

The parents were dropped as soon as he got powers. It seemed sloppy. I also hate USM so all the parent stuff is crap to me. Ben was his father.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #67
SpiderMan'sBoot
Side-Kick

Parent story will still come up again. We had the 'unresolved things' piece from Uncle Ben, as he was saying that you had Peter's board with all the pictures on. His parents on there, Uncle Ben, his killer, I'm pretty sure there looks to be a picture of Oscorp.

Last edited by SpiderMan'sBoot; 01-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #68
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
The parents were dropped as soon as he got powers. It seemed sloppy. I also hate USM so all the parent stuff is crap to me. Ben was his father.
There was nothing else to really touch on with the parents in this film specifically. The point was that his search for his parents sent him to Oscorp, where he got bitten by the spider. He brings up his father when talking to Gwen, and it was supposedly brought up in a deleted scene with Dr. Connors ("if you want the truth about your parents, Peter..."). The post credits scene even confirms that there is more to the story of his parents than we think.

If you hate USM and the parents stuff, then that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMan'sBoot View Post
Parent story will still come up again. We had the 'unresolved things' piece from Uncle Ben, as he was saying that you had Peter's board with all the pictures on.
Exactly. This movie introduced the parents storyline, and now it will be resolved over the next two films (along with Uncle Ben's killer and such).

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 01-09-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #69
SpiderMan'sBoot
Side-Kick

Not quite visible, but like a second after you can see a circular logo on the building furthest to the right. Looked like Oscorp. Odd photo to have anyway!

Not really important just interesting.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #70
Picard Sisko

Quote:

Not quite visible, but like a second after you can see a circular logo on the building furthest to the right. Looked like Oscorp. Odd photo to have anyway!

Not really important just interesting.
Wow, look at how young Martin Sheen was in that photograph in the middle. Time sure changes people.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #71
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
There was nothing else to really touch on with the parents in this film specifically. The point was that his search for his parents sent him to Oscorp, where he got bitten by the spider. He brings up his father when talking to Gwen, and it was supposedly brought up in a deleted scene with Dr. Connors ("if you want the truth about your parents, Peter..."). The post credits scene even confirms that there is more to the story of his parents than we think.
What do you mean there was nothing else to touch on...the writers can write anything they want. There was actually more in the film that got cut as you mentioned...which also shows how the editing wasn't that good either. You have an entire character arc in Ifran just disappearing completely because of sloppy editing. You have major motivation for Connors in his son just suddenly going away because they edited it out. It's a sloppy movie. You can say how they are going to hold onto stuff for the sequel...no film has ever done that, that wasn't shot back to back with a clear script for both movies. The entire first act is all about his parents. Then, that all just goes away once he gets bit by the spider. Then the second act is about finding Ben's killer. Then that all goes away once the Lizard shows up and nothing is mentioned again about it until one of the closing scenes where we see the wanted poster. It's just terrible writing. It's like they had ideas for 3 movies and just lobbed off the ends of each movie so that they could glue them together.

There is a lot of dumb stuff in the comics (see the most recent example of Ock being Spider-Man). The parents angle was just a dumb addition to the mythos that I do not care for at all. They didn't even begin to tell all the stories of 616 and they decided to be hip and cool and do USM.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #72
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
What do you mean there was nothing else to touch on...the writers can write anything they want. There was actually more in the film that got cut as you mentioned...which also shows how the editing wasn't that good either. You have an entire character arc in Ifran just disappearing completely because of sloppy editing. You have major motivation for Connors in his son just suddenly going away because they edited it out. It's a sloppy movie.
I don't think that the parents storyline really had room to be touched on more in this movie specifically. What else could they have really done? Give everything away all at once and rush it?

The cut scenes are another story. Don't know why they deleted some scenes which would have been an improvement for the movie, like Connors talking to his son. As for the sewer scene, its possible they want to bring back Dr. Ratha for a sequel, who knows?

Quote:
You can say how they are going to hold onto stuff for the sequel...no film has ever done that, that wasn't shot back to back with a clear script for both movies. The entire first act is all about his parents. Then, that all just goes away once he gets bit by the spider. Then the second act is about finding Ben's killer. Then that all goes away once the Lizard shows up and nothing is mentioned again about it until one of the closing scenes where we see the wanted poster. It's just terrible writing. It's like they had ideas for 3 movies and just lobbed off the ends of each movie so that they could glue them together.
Holding stuff back for future movies is NOT terrible writing. Its called planning.
There have been many movies out there which act as sequel bait, only they were major flops at the box office and sequels were never produced. We're guaranteed a sequel when it comes to Spider-Man, so honestly, I don't see why not? Look at this review comparing SM1 to TASM:

http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2012/1...ial-stand.html

Quote:
There is a lot of dumb stuff in the comics (see the most recent example of Ock being Spider-Man). The parents angle was just a dumb addition to the mythos that I do not care for at all. They didn't even begin to tell all the stories of 616 and they decided to be hip and cool and do USM.
FYI, they are combining elements from the 616 and USM. Not just trying to be "hip and cool."
If you don't like the parents storyline, then I guess this isn't the Spider-Man franchise for you.

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 01-09-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #73
SpiderMan'sBoot
Side-Kick

If you look at the Raimi trilogy, they didn't know they'd get a sequel. If you tear it down the plots are very similar in those films. MJ always gets kidnapped, the villain always seems to find out who Peter is towards the end, they had a similar pattern to them. There's no doubt ASM has more of a plan,t hey knew they were getting a trilogy and I'm sure they're delivering the story in the best way they feel possible.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #74
SpiderMan'sBoot
Side-Kick

My point being with the Raimi trilogy they were very good standalone films, there was little connecting all three except Harry to Goblin. Whereas in this trilogy they're telling a big story amongst three smaller ones.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #75
Picard Sisko

Quote:
If you look at the Raimi trilogy, they didn't know they'd get a sequel. If you tear it down the plots are very similar in those films. MJ always gets kidnapped, the villain always seems to find out who Peter is towards the end, they had a similar pattern to them. There's no doubt ASM has more of a plan,t hey knew they were getting a trilogy and I'm sure they're delivering the story in the best way they feel possible.
I believe SM2 was planned, but they made sure to tie up almost all of the plots as a "just in case." The Raimi trilogy had Harry wanting revenge for his father, but that's it.

The TASM is being planned out more properly as it seems, since all three films are supposed to cover a story arc. Unless the movie becomes a major flop (which it won't), we are guaranteed sequels for Spider-Man. IT'S SPIDER-MAN!