3 - 3.5 1 0.69%
2 - 2.5 1 0.69%
1 - 1.5 5 3.45%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #76
SpiderMan'sBoot
Side-Kick

Default Re: *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Ah okay wasn't aware of that. They did sort of throw everything at us in SM1!

Indeed agree!

SpiderMan'sBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #77
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Here is a quote from the article I gave a link to about SM1:

http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2012/1...ial-stand.html

Quote:
Raimi's first film didn't really leave itself anywhere to go. By the end Peter had...

- Graduated high school? Check.
- Come into his own as a superhero with a competent handle on his powers? Check.
- Established a clear sense of purpose with all his priorities about responsibility in order? Check.
- Successfully faced off and defeated his first major villain in life or death battle? Check.

At that point there were only two unresolved pieces of the plot that (technically) needed to be tied up.

1. The Romantic Subplot
2. Harry Osborn's Revenge
About TASM:

Quote:
LEAVING US WANTING MORE
I think that header speaks for itself don't you?

- Room for character growth in the protagonist? Check.
- The promise of an ominous figure pulling the strings from the shadows? Check.
- A mystery that connects that same 'ominous figure' to the disappearance of Peter's parents? Check.
- Foreshadowing that Gwen will die as result of being in Peter's life? Check.
- The potential for this to all tie together as part of one big arc? Check.

Whether the sequels will be able to meet our expectations remains to be seen, but one can't deny that 'The Amazing Spider-man' sets the series up with a substantially stronger foundation for the future than Raimi's 'Spider-man' ever did.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 01-09-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #78
chaseter
Bland User

That's fine they explain it that way, it doesn't make the movie better. I am judging the movie, whether that pays off for the trilogy we will see. No great superhero trilogy has done that in any of their movies and it's likely for a reason. BB would have sucked had Ra's never returned in the 3rd act. X1 would have sucked if Rogue runs away from the mansion and no one sees her again. It's bad story telling.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #79
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
That's fine they explain it that way, it doesn't make the movie better. I am judging the movie, whether that pays off for the trilogy we will see.
Yup.

Quote:
No great superhero trilogy has done that in any of their movies and it's likely for a reason.
There is a first for everything. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean its bad.

Quote:
BB would have sucked had Ra's never returned in the 3rd act. X1 would have sucked if Rogue runs away from the mansion and no one sees her again. It's bad story telling.
But Ra's was the main villain, and Rogue was a main character. Dr. Ratha was NOT. He was just a side character, one of Osborn's "henchmen" I suppose. Ratha was disposable, and even if that deleted sewer scene was in the final cut, it wouldn't have made the movie much better. I loved it, and that's that. We can just agree to disagree on the film's quality.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #80
chaseter
Bland User

Ra's was introduced and the entire first act was built upon Bruce's interactions with the LoS. The entire first act of ASM is about Peter wanting to know more about his dead parents. The entire first act is all about that and actually is the reason how he gets his powers (same with Bruce). It doesn't matter if Ra's was the main villain, it matters with the main character's motivation and plot progression. Ra's coming back completes the arc that movie set and provides character development for Bruce. In ASM, literally nothing gets resolved concerning the main character. Peter doesn't find out about his parents, he doesn't find Ben's killer, and he even ends up back with the girl after a 10 minute on screen breakup. Someone will point to the eggs he brings May...he wasn't a doucher before his powers. His powers made him a doucher. We literally ended where we started.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 01-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #81
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Ra's was introduced and the entire first act was built upon Bruce's interactions with the LoS. The entire first act of ASM is about Peter wanting to know more about his dead parents. The entire first act is all about that and actually is the reason how he gets his powers (same with Bruce). It doesn't matter if Ra's was the main villain, it matters with the main character's motivation and plot progression. Ra's coming back completes the arc that movie set and provides character development for Bruce. In ASM, literally nothing gets resolved concerning the main character. Peter doesn't find out about his parents, he doesn't find Ben's killer, and he even ends up back with the girl after a 10 minute on screen breakup. Someone will point to the eggs he brings May...he wasn't a doucher before his powers. His powers made him a doucher. We literally ended where we started.
Batman Begins wasn't really setting anything up for a sequel (except for the Joker card). You have to look at TASM as Part 1 of a series. I see it as the whole trilogy is about Peter growing into Spider-Man, and learning responsibility.

As far as getting back with the girl, I just think the filmmakers didn't want to end another movie where Spider-Man walks away from the girl again. As I just said, he is still learning responsibility, which is the reason as to why he couldn't keep his promise to Captain Stacey to leave her out of it.

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 01-09-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #82
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

My old rating was 6/10 and it hasn't changed.After seeing it a few times,if anything,I'm sorta getting "used" to it.It's not as fun or faithful as the Raimi films.I admit most of my friends are starting to rank it a bit lower than at first.

I guess everyone has their own ranking system.I place ASM along with Superman Returns,Batman 89,etc,in the tier of films that aren't "bad" but not really my favorite interpretation of the character.

Last edited by Human Torch; 01-09-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #83
Picard Sisko

I think that the 2002 film and TASM are both faithful and unfaithful in different aspects of the comic books.

Also, don't forget that TASM takes a lot of elements from Ultimate Spider-Man, such as the responsibility speech (word for word).

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 01-09-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #84
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
What interests YOU is another story. The parents story is important in this franchise, and obviously ties into Oscorp. Its part of what has been set up for future movies.
Lol.

Quote:
I think this movie created the grounds for the new franchise very well. The sequel has so much potential.
Touche.

Quote:
The parents were dropped as soon as he got powers. It seemed sloppy. I also hate USM so all the parent stuff is crap to me. Ben was his father.
Agreed. All of this.

When Peter said Ben is his father to Green Goblin...summed it all up.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #85
Picard Sisko

If that's how you feel about Ultimate Spider-Man and the parents, then this franchise just isn't for you.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #86
chaseter
Bland User

I hope the next movie has Gwen being Carnage all along and Hulk Goblin.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #87
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
If that's how you feel about Ultimate Spider-Man and the parents, then this franchise just isn't for you.
Well I've already said I'm only excited to see Gwen's death, so you are correct sir.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #88
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
That's fine they explain it that way, it doesn't make the movie better. I am judging the movie, whether that pays off for the trilogy we will see. No great superhero trilogy has done that in any of their movies and it's likely for a reason. BB would have sucked had Ra's never returned in the 3rd act. X1 would have sucked if Rogue runs away from the mansion and no one sees her again. It's bad story telling.
we dont hear from the ten rings again after Stane kills Raza...

I wonder how thats gonna turn out for the trilogy.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #89
Anno_Domini
Banned User

If you pay attention you'll notice the man who gave Ivan tickets had a Ten Rings tattoo. Still hinting the Ten Rings without making them a factor in IM2.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #90
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
If you pay attention you'll notice the man who gave Ivan tickets had a Ten Rings tattoo. Still hinting the Ten Rings without making them a factor in IM2.
I wonder if theyll hint at peters parents in asm2

Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #91
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

*Update* Your Rating for TASM

Why ?

I have same rating even now, 8/10.

Bruce_Begins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #92
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
I think that the 2002 film and TASM are both faithful and unfaithful in different aspects of the comic books.

Also, don't forget that TASM takes a lot of elements from Ultimate Spider-Man, such as the responsibility speech (word for word).

Why do people keep saying "word for word"? It is not

The message is about the same, and they use a few same words there, but the movie version is much shorter and it is different. word for word is a very specific way to describe something, and it is a wrong way to describe TASM's Uncle Ben speech

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #93
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

As TheWallCrawler said, there's a difference
In this comics Ben doesn't tell Peter "Not a choice, a responsibility"
I need to read Ultimate Spider-Man again

SPIDER-MAN: Taking selfies since the 60s, making money out of it.

6th annual animated shows tournament voting has begun.
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #94
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
Why do people keep saying "word for word"? It is not

The message is about the same, and they use a few same words there, but the movie version is much shorter and it is different. word for word is a very specific way to describe something, and it is a wrong way to describe TASM's Uncle Ben speech
I remembered it being word for word for some reason lol. Sorry, I should have checked. Not feeling all that great. But it was clearly inspired by Ben's speech from Ultimate Spider-Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
As TheWallCrawler said, there's a difference
In this comics Ben doesn't tell Peter "Not a choice, a responsibility"
I need to read Ultimate Spider-Man again
There is a difference, but its the same message.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #95
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
*Update* Your Rating for TASM

Why ?

I have same rating even now, 8/10.
I guess because it's understandable some people's ratings went lower as much as some went higher. Same reason I made the same thread/poll for TDKR.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #96
Picard Sisko

Ratings and opinions change over a period of time. They are not set in stone.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #97
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Some films. Not all of them. I've had the same opinion of Spider-Man 2 since I first saw it. Same with TDK, Superman I and II, First Class, Iron Man.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #98
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Some films. Not all of them. I've had the same opinion of Spider-Man 2 since I first saw it. Same with TDK, Superman I and II, First Class, Iron Man.
My rating has gone down for virtually every movie I've ever seen after watching a number of times.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #99
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
I remembered it being word for word for some reason lol. Sorry, I should have checked. Not feeling all that great. But it was clearly inspired by Ben's speech from Ultimate Spider-Man.
Not denying that . A shame that Marc didn't adapt more elements from the Ultimate comics, like the robber going to their house. It would've been a really cool intense scene

also, there were many other things that would've made the movie way better

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #100
OcStat
Side-Kick

^I made a post about that in the Uncle Ben's Killer thread. I agree that should have been where it went down. But I did like ASMs new take on those events.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote