Default Re: Django Unchained - Part 1

Nude Kerry Washington

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Holiday
'Bout that action

Quote:
Its interesting because on one hand I think the movie should have ended with the candyland shootout but then another part of me feels like there was some good stuff with giving calvins character some closure and stevens character getting his untimely end but then mixed in with the good stuff there was WTF moments where after the australian guys let django go he just says screw it and kills um and made the whole thing and tarantino's cameo pointless. Wouldnt Django want some backup since clearly he was out gunned 10 minutes earlier? Im more half and half on this ending then lincolns ending.
Django would have had to kill the Aussies regardless at some point once they figured out he misled them. Also, they were slave traders, Django couldn't partner up with them in good conscience. And while he was outgunned before, this time around he has the advantage of surprise as everyone thinks he is long gone by that point.

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Default Re: Django Unchained - Part 2

Besides as soon as you saw QT was playing one you knew they were gonna die. He dies in all his cameos.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Jimmy in Pulp Fiction doesn't die.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Holiday
'Bout that action

He should have.

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

The recording-machine voice in Jackie Brown didn't die either!

Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 01-02-2013 at 12:06 PM.
FilmNerdJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Django would have had to kill the Aussies regardless at some point once they figured out he misled them. Also, they were slave traders, Django couldn't partner up with them in good conscience. And while he was outgunned before, this time around he has the advantage of surprise as everyone thinks he is long gone by that point.
There should have never been any Aussies...that was pointless addons to the movie.

Here is how you know it's pointless...when the writers contradict the title and theme. Django unchained, rechained, then unchained again.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
There should have never been any Aussies...that was pointless addons to the movie.

Here is how you know it's pointless...when the writers contradict the title and theme. Django unchained, rechained, then unchained again.
I liked the addition of the Aussies there (not Quentin, he should have either stayed out of the movie or chosen a different kind of cameo role). It helps establish the reality that the old west was more multicultural and multinational than traditional American western movies had had us believe.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
chaseter
Bland User

They already did that with the lead character being German as well as stories of a German plantation owner. They could have showed Aussies at any point...that doesn't legitimize the unecessary extra 20 minutes and another climax to resolve the story.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
samsnee
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Technically it was in the South, not the West.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Django was unchained by Schultz then recaptured and unchained again by putting to use everything he learned from his mentor. The ending was totally reasonable and coherent to me. Steven was Django's enemy, Candie was Schultz's

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

The reason the "extended" ending confused or maybe disappointed some people is that likely for a lot or most people up until schultz died he was likely viewed as the main character (consciously or not) with django as the side-kick.

So when that did happen the audience may have been left with a feeling like "well the hero died the story should now be over or near it" however django was always intended to be the main hero and he needed a fulfilling ending to show that. Something that he did and devised himself, not just a plan started by schultz that he was following.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Otherwise it really would have been just another "white guy saves the black guy" story. And we all know QT wasn't about to go that route.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

In that case I would say Waltz's overshadowing of Foxx was to the film's detriment.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

It wasn't it was how it was written. It was about the journey progression of django leading up to the finale. Djano was a slave all his life and he has tasted freedom for the the first time. He's very humbled and withdrawn after having never been given freedom before and always being in a position of servitude.

Tarrantino even said he had to stop foxx from playing django as too confident in the begining as that wouldn't make sense for how the character starts off. You don't go from slave to hero immediately. Django Unchained almost reminds me of a super-hero origin story with schultz as the mentor.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

To me Foxx had the tougest role to play. He was meant to act understated the majority of the movie only to go to full hero mode at the end. I thought Tarantino and Foxx did that excellently.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
It wasn't it was how it was written. It was about the journey progression of django leading up to the finale. Djano was a slave all his life and he has tasted freedom for the the first time. He's very humbled and withdrawn after having never been given freedom before and always being in a position of servitude.

Tarrantino even said he had to stop foxx from playing django as too confident in the begining as that wouldn't make sense for how the character starts off. You don't go from slave to hero immediately. Django Unchained almost reminds me of a super-hero origin story with schultz as the mentor.
But you have to care. For whatever reason how it was written didn't quite work for some. As I said, I understand the ending and I even like it, but I doesn't work nearly as well as the rest of the film. It isn't as well written and feels like it is on autopilot. It also feels like it makes lite of all this serious crap that just went down.

But then again the second half of the film as a whole is weaken then the first half. The ending is an even bigger step down imo.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
marvelman2006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post

Nah but QT could have had them killed in the raid too seeing as they were mostly old slave traders, have them help django but get killed in the shootout.

Last edited by marvelman2006; 01-02-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: m
marvelman2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I assumed the ones that walked back lived in the big house. Everyone else lived elsewhere on the plantation.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
Parker Wayne
Yeah, I can fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelman2006 View Post
Nah but QT could have had them killed in the raid too seeing as they were mostly old slave traders, have them help django but get killed in the shootout.
Nope wrong like usual for you.

Holiday had it right.

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
marvelman2006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Nope wrong like usual for you.

Holiday had it right.

marvelman2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
Mr.?
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Django was unchained by Schultz then recaptured and unchained again by putting to use everything he learned from his mentor. The ending was totally reasonable and coherent to me. Steven was Django's enemy, Candie was Schultz's
This is true, Steven is the one who screwed them all over.

Mr.? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
The reason the "extended" ending confused or maybe disappointed some people is that likely for a lot or most people up until schultz died he was likely viewed as the main character (consciously or not) with django as the side-kick.

So when that did happen the audience may have been left with a feeling like "well the hero died the story should now be over or near it" however django was always intended to be the main hero and he needed a fulfilling ending to show that. Something that he did and devised himself, not just a plan started by schultz that he was following.

Or rather its reiterating basically the entire plot of the film in microcosm and deflates a lot of the momentum from that giant gun fight. I don't think anyone has any problem with what ultimately happens with Stephen and the house and the actual ending, just that those same story and character beats could have been achieved differently.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote