1 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #26
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Default Re: Django Unchained - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
It wasn't it was how it was written. It was about the journey progression of django leading up to the finale. Djano was a slave all his life and he has tasted freedom for the the first time. He's very humbled and withdrawn after having never been given freedom before and always being in a position of servitude.

Tarrantino even said he had to stop foxx from playing django as too confident in the begining as that wouldn't make sense for how the character starts off. You don't go from slave to hero immediately. Django Unchained almost reminds me of a super-hero origin story with schultz as the mentor.
This, entirely, and Tarantino and others involved in the film have mentioned the same.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
Or rather its reiterating basically the entire plot of the film in microcosm and deflates a lot of the momentum from that giant gun fight. I don't think anyone has any problem with what ultimately happens with Stephen and the house and the actual ending, just that those same story and character beats could have been achieved differently.
Exactly. The intention of the scenes are clear, I don't think anyone has a problem with that. It is almost entirely execution and not simply the execution of those scenes, but the film as a whole.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

http://badassdigest.com/2013/01/02/w...ture-a-person/

This video is incredibly entertaining, I don't know what is goofier, the interviewers fan gushing over Tarantino, Quentin's hat, or Sam Jackson's berating of the interviewer at the end.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #29
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

^ I love Samuel L Jackson's last chuckle. What a cool dude.
Thanks for posting the link.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #30
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Quent...ary-34851.html

Tarantino does a soundtrack commentary explaining his choice to use each song. Is there any other director whose films would prompt something like this?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #31
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
http://badassdigest.com/2013/01/02/w...ture-a-person/

This video is incredibly entertaining, I don't know what is goofier, the interviewers fan gushing over Tarantino, Quentin's hat, or Sam Jackson's berating of the interviewer at the end.
I don't know why this video is getting picked up by the media all of a sudden today? I watched this interview weeks ago.

It's almost like some of these reporters are being paid to flip through random youtube videos and report on things they think are interesting. Sounds like a swell job i guess?

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

^ That's basically the MO of a lot Badass Digest's content lol.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #33
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Quent...ary-34851.html

Tarantino does a soundtrack commentary explaining his choice to use each song. Is there any other director whose films would prompt something like this?
Looking forward to listening to this when I have the time.
What an awesome soundtrack (pretty much a given with QT.)

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #34
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

People griped about how out of place the hip hop tracks were, but it was symbolism obviously.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #35
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Yeah that kind of a complaint I don't really understand. I didn't find it particularly jarring it fit the tone and the action and the lyrical content worked.

Its not like 1960s spaghetti western music exist in the 1850's either.

Its like some comments I've read on the similar use of hip hop in the trailers for Gangster Squad. Its like yeah, we have some period accurate music that could be used, but to us, the audience in the here and now, that music is old, and we associate it with historical time period, where as for the people who listened to the popular music of that time it was just music not "period music."

Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #36
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I was even thinking of the language, yes many or some of the terms were anachronistic but what was the last film you saw set in the middle ages that was in old english?

Sometimes to get things across to a modern audience you have to incorporate modern language. The guy who created Deadwood had a great point of why he needed to use modern cursing in a show set in the 1800's. Due to the fact most 19th century curse words were religious in nature and would sound ridiculous to modern viewers. They wouldn't get the grittiness of the words and their impact.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #37
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

The only problem I have is when the music is a) bad and b) doesn't fit. You can talk about the value of using contemporary music all you like, but it needs to not suck and work in the context of the film.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #38
chaseter
Bland User

Every other word in Deadwood being the F-bomb turned me off. To me they just wanted to be provocative and edgy but it's HBO so that's prolly why. I wouldn't watch Game of Thrones if everyone just said **** every other sentence.

I did think they used the N word a bit too much here but I know QT isn't being provocative and more so trying to be period accurate and show how awful the times were so I accepted it. That is what separates this from Deadwood imo.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #39
terry78

^I will not take that to imply that Tupac is bad. Otherwise, we shall have to have words.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #40
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

I think Freedom and Ancore Aqui are both new songs and they're great imo.
I really don't care about historical accuracy that much (dialogue or music wise), I just want a good film.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #41
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
^I will not take that to imply that Tupac is bad. Otherwise, we shall have to have words.
2pac is great and so is James Brown (huge fan of both), but I'm not sure they needed to be mashed up together

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:

Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #42
chaseter
Bland User

I was fine with the hip hop music. It was music to let you know **** was about to go down. Had they used strings and wind instruments to be period specific...eh.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #43
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I love Tupac.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #44
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
I was even thinking of the language, yes many or some of the terms were anachronistic but what was the last film you saw set in the middle ages that was in old english?

Sometimes to get things across to a modern audience you have to incorporate modern language. The guy who created Deadwood had a great point of why he needed to use modern cursing in a show set in the 1800's. Due to the fact most 19th century curse words were religious in nature and would sound ridiculous to modern viewers. They wouldn't get the grittiness of the words and their impact.
Gangs of New York had period accurate curse words and slang, worked out pretty well on that front.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #45
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Every other word in Deadwood being the F-bomb turned me off. To me they just wanted to be provocative and edgy but it's HBO so that's prolly why. I wouldn't watch Game of Thrones if everyone just said **** every other sentence.
Dude you are missing out. Deadwood is considered one of the best tv shows ever and one of my definite favorites. If you can take all the nudity and random "sexpositions" of GoT there's no reason you can't handle deadwood and it's language.

The creator explained it better but essentially the wild west was a rough, gritty, uncomfortable time and so was their language but to get the same shock someone in the 1800's got today you need modern curse words.

Quote:
Gangs of New York had period accurate curse words and slang, worked out pretty well on that front.
They had liberties too. From what I understand the f-word prior to the world wars was purely used in its sexual connotation. So pretty much any film that has characters using it as an expression other than to refer purely to sex set before the 20th century is anachronistic.

-edit- you might be right i can't really remeber if gangs of new york had a bunch f-words or not.

Last edited by Bruce Malone; 01-02-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #46
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

I love Deadwood, but the lack of an ending really kills it in the "greatest of all time" sweepstakes. I'd suggest Justified.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #47
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Dude you are missing out. Deadwood is considered one of the best tv shows ever and one of my definite favorites. If you can take all the nudity and random "sexpositions" of GoT there's no reason you can't handle deadwood and it's language.

The creator explained it better but essentially the wild west was a rough, gritty, uncomfortable time and so was their language but to get the same shock someone in the 1800's got today you need modern curse words.

They had liberties too. From what I understand the f-word prior to the world wars was purely used in its sexual connotation. So pretty much any film that has characters using it as an expression other than to refer purely to sex set before the 20th century is anachronistic.
I am not against cursing or boobs...just the overuse of it. It also doesn't seem fitting for that time period. I understand your explanation but if Django here had said "What you talkin' bout Willis," I prolly would have left. I watched a few eps and it was just off putting to me so I didn't pursue it.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #48
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:

Well that's the thing, I'm fairly sure the only time the fbomb is dropped IS in that connotation.

I know Day Lewis especially was concerned with getting the accents and slang right.

You know in a film that featured a giant gang battle in the middle of New York being broken up with civil war cannon fire. It has always struck me as funny.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #49
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

I need to watch Deadwood. Watching The Sopranos now though, and then The Wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #50
terry78

In some instances, even if it is real world accurate, in fiction profanity as every other word can veer towads satirical status if not done right. Even the most serious tv show or movie can start to border on funny if the cursing is like non-stop. Hell, you have that one guy you know in real life who literally cannot get through a sentence without cursing and it's like a walking joke.