1 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #51
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Default Re: Django Unchained - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
In some instances, even if it is real world accurate, in fiction profanity as every other word can veer towads satirical status if not done right. Even the most serious tv show or movie can start to border on funny if the cursing is like non-stop. Hell, you have that one guy you know in real life who literally cannot get through a sentence without cursing and it's like a walking joke.
Plenty of those moments in QT films.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #52
chaseter
Bland User

Yeah but QT isn't trying to be overly serious the entire movie. Kill Bill is so over the top but I love it. Deadwood is a dead pan drama from what I saw.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #53
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I am not against cursing or boobs...just the overuse of it. It also doesn't seem fitting for that time period. I understand your explanation but if Django here had said "What you talkin' bout Willis," I prolly would have left. I watched a few eps and it was just off putting to me so I didn't pursue it.
The language in django wasn't so bad in the anachronism department, in fact i have a feeling quinton had someone brush up the language to make it more time appropriate. Reading the original script there were more modern words thrown in then in the finished product.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #54
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I need to watch Deadwood. Watching The Sopranos now though, and then The Wire.
Drop all of the and watch Breaking Bad.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #55
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

^True enough.

Haha, one part that I couldn't stop thinking about afterwards was the one guy in the raid scene that was like, "I say, no bags this time....but next time....we do the bags right....and just go full regalia." That just killed me.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #56
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
^True enough.

Haha, one part that I couldn't stop thinking about afterwards was the one guy in the raid scene that was like, "I say, no bags this time....but next time....we do the bags right....and just go full regalia." That just killed me.
The whole conversation was classic.

Quote:
Yeah but QT isn't trying to be overly serious the entire movie. Kill Bill is so over the top but I love it. Deadwood is a dead pan drama from what I saw.
QT tries to be serious plenty. He just isn't always capable of pulling it off.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #57
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm actually a stickler for time period appropriateness but i would argue deadwood shouldn't be held to a different standards than a django per se.

Good TV like good film is still art and is meant to connote emotion in the audience. A creator has to use whatever tools necessary to reach out to that. Again to get the audience into the emotional mindset of what it was like in that time he has chosen to use the tools of including modern swear words.

I feel that's totally legitimate to get to his goal. Hell look at the career of baz lurhman adding modern aspects to his drama period pieces is his MO pretty much.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #58
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Interesting bit from that Soundtrack commentary I posted:

the John Legend song on the soundtrack was written for the film as an original track, which isn't really something Tarantino really uses. Legend knew this but sent him the song anyways. He also knew that QT rarely uses computers or even cd's so he recorded the song to a cassette tape. Now that's damn good marketing.

redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #59
terry78

I did not know that about Tarantino. I know people say that **** like, "I don't even own a tv" but I suspect he actually does only use cassettes.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #60
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Some of the tracks in the film are literally being played off his own vinyl records, needle drops included.

He's spoken about actually really liking his ipad for some internet use but he has to basically get rid of it when he's working. I can definitely see QT being easily distracted.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #61
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I actually really love this John Legend track. I didn't know it was made original for the film before listening to the commentary.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #62
Marvin
Side-Kick

Minor spoiler.

Someone explain to me why Django had to go to candy land with Waltz's character? Just seems that's where it all fell apart.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #63
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Minor spoiler.

Someone explain to me why Django had to go to candy land with Waltz's character? Just seems that's where it all fell apart.
That's where Django's wife was.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #64
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

That's actually an interesting point Marvin, but just keep in mind that it was King helping Django in that case, not the other way around. Django was gunning for Candyland regardless, King decided to help him and constructed the whole Mandingo ruse.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #65
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

King's plan sure turned out to be a bad one. They'd have been better served if they'd just offered 3X or more than what Candie thought she was worth(less than $300 dollars according to him) just to buy her back and skipping the Mandingo fighter ruse altogether.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #66
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

That's fully explained by schultz to django. His reasoning is why would such an important man even want to meet to discuss the sale of a $300 slave? His analogy was don't offer to buy the farmers horse offer to buy his farm to get his attention. Also schultz wanted to trick candie not pay him $5000.

The plan was overly complex though and it was intended by quinton to fail. Schultz is a guy who always needs a complex plan for things that could arguably be solved easier. The scene where he shot the sheriff, he could have technically avoided all the hassle of having 50 guns turned on him by just going to the marshal and admitting who he was and why he needed the sherrif, but he wants everything done on his terms not the marshall's or candies.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #67
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

He just can't help himself.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #68
terry78

New meme featuring random gifs of Schultz.

"I couldn't resist."

Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #69
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
He just can't help himself.

That's a pretty thin excuse for any character in any story to do anything. You really gotta build it up to sell me on that one. Otherwise it just smacks of plot convenience.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #70
kedrell

I'm still holding out hope that one day we'll get a QT made GTA-inspired film.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #71
terry78

Well, he likes to do satirical homages of genres, who knows? I'd like to see what he does with sci-fi. Basically his love of the classic science fiction with some sensibilities of modern day stuff.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #72
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
That's a pretty thin excuse for any character in any story to do anything. You really gotta build it up to sell me on that one. Otherwise it just smacks of plot convenience.
Not really it was squarely within his character to do the things he did.

The guy was way into theatrics and "playing a role". He is also a killer who has no qualms about killing people he finds to be utterly despicable.

Is it any surprise that his own overly complicated plans would fall apart by his own actions? He was pushed to the brink at Candyland by the particular cruelties he witnessed on the property and in being outsmarted and taken for a lot of money. The people at Candyland were an insult to everything he stood for. Notice his insistence that Candy's sister stop playing music from his native land.

And then candy just had to insist on shaking his hand. One more insult after pushing Shultz to the edge. Shultz, the theatrical killer of despicable men who also has a hidden Travis Bickle gun strapped to his arm. Yeah I'd say it is squarely within Schulz's character to do what he did. This isn't like the trained xenobiologist trying to pet a space cobra in Prometheus after being terrified by centuries-dead alien corpses.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #73
Drizzle
Assemble Again

I just realized who Stephen reminded me of (besides Uncle Ruckus). Coach Kreeton from All That:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #74
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

I saw this movie for the second time yesterday with some family members that had yet to see it. I still liked it but this movie does drag in some places. Some things could have been cut to shave some time off the runtime because this movie is pretty long. Also the dialogue is off, this movie is suppose to be during the 1800's and everyone pretty much talks like its the 20th century except everyone says the N word a lot. Django for example, speaks extremely well for a slave with no real education. Not saying all slaves talked in the stereotypical "yessa masta" dialect but Jamie played Django like a modern day guy if you ask me. Anyway, its still a good movie solid 8/10.

ShadowBoxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 AM   #75
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

I was just thinking that Tom Cruise would have probably made a great calvin candie and could have been the role to sort of bring him back in the publics good graces, as Tarantino's done for so many people's careers.

Not that Tom is not popular anymore just that he still has tons of haters. Also Cruise is great when he plays a villain. I hope he does work with tarantino some day.