1 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #76
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Default Re: Django Unchained - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I was just thinking that Tom Cruise would have probably made a great calvin candie and could have been the role to sort of bring him back in the publics good graces, as Tarantino's done for so many people's careers.

Not that Tom is not popular anymore just that he still has tons of haters. Also Cruise is great when he plays a villain. I hope he does work with tarantino some day.
I thought he did pretty much just that in Tropic Thunder.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #77
Marvin
Side-Kick

Cruise would have made for an interesting Candy.

I also would have rather seen Forest Whittiker in the lead. Something about fox just comes off inauthentic at all times. As far as this film it was in the first half.

Denzel would have been pretty interesting too, if only to see him not have all his scenes stolen from him.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #78
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Forest Whitaker? A paunchy 51 year old? I can't see it all. He never could've pulled off those pimp moves at the end the way Foxx did.

I loved the crap out of this movie. Tarantino is simply a master a modulating tone. Like most of his work, it's such a fine line between trashy fun and dead serious and he walks it like a master.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #79
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
I was just thinking that Tom Cruise would have probably made a great calvin candie and could have been the role to sort of bring him back in the publics good graces, as Tarantino's done for so many people's careers.

Not that Tom is not popular anymore just that he still has tons of haters. Also Cruise is great when he plays a villain. I hope he does work with tarantino some day.
I agree. I'm drawing a blank though, what villain has Cruise played? I got Grossman and Lestat maybe, but you might be talking about some other parts.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #80
Harry_Lime02
That perfect girl is gone

Good movie. Christoph Waltz wasn't as crazy as I hoped he would be though. And DiCaprio had surprisingly little screentime.

Why did Django use the whip on the guy when he had a gun???

Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #81
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

^Symbolism.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #82
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
That's a pretty thin excuse for any character in any story to do anything. You really gotta build it up to sell me on that one. Otherwise it just smacks of plot convenience.
I think it's precisely the opposite. The plot went where it does because the characters can't help but be exactly who they are. Their flaws, their sense of honor, their needs, their desires are what's driving the plot, not the other way around.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #83
terry78

In any movie, the guy that always has the plan and is always put together and never falls apart has to have a moment where he's not in control, or else he has no arc.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #84
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
I agree. I'm drawing a blank though, what villain has Cruise played? I got Grossman and Lestat maybe, but you might be talking about some other parts.
Collateral.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #85
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Lime02 View Post
Why did Django use the whip on the guy when he had a gun???
The guy who whipped his wife (and probably him too) in the past? Yeah he should've ended it quick for him.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #86
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
Collateral.
Thank you!

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #87
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
In any movie, the guy that always has the plan and is always put together and never falls apart has to have a moment where he's not in control, or else he has no arc.
More than that, if there's no conflict, no loss of control, there's no drama, the fundamental ingredient of storytelling and the catharsis it offers.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #88
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
The guy who whipped his wife (and probably him too) in the past? Yeah he should've ended it quick for him.
I thought it was the one that Schultz killed that whipped his wife. The guy with the eyepatch.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #89
terry78

They all were insanely cruel to him and Broomhilda, that's all he remembered.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #90
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
They all were insanely cruel to him and Broomhilda, that's all he remembered.
No arguments there.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #91
chaseter
Bland User

I also didn't like how Django became an evil bastard at the end...he became what he detested. He killed Candie's sister when she didn't do anything at all. I thought she even showed horror at her brother when he ripped off Brunhilda's dress at dinner. She then gets blown away for audience lulz. Fritz was talking about how he only killed bad people. Well Django just became a stone cold killer...even letting that poor guy get fed to the dogs. I think he got too caught up in his fake persona he was allowed to pretend to be and he became sort of the anti-hero at the end...which makes Fritz' death even more pointless for Django's redemption than it was in the movie after Django became re-chained.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #92
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Putting into question the morality of an Archetypical hero has been a concern of Tarrantino for a long time. It was absolutely by design, same as it was when he portrayed some of the Nazi's as exceedingly noble and likable while the Basterds came off as inhuman savages.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #93
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I also didn't like how Django became an evil bastard at the end...he became what he detested. He killed Candie's sister when she didn't do anything at all. I thought she even showed horror at her brother when he ripped off Brunhilda's dress at dinner. She then gets blown away for audience lulz. Fritz was talking about how he only killed bad people. Well Django just became a stone cold killer...even letting that poor guy get fed to the dogs. I think he got too caught up in his fake persona he was allowed to pretend to be and he became sort of the anti-hero at the end...which makes Fritz' death even more pointless for Django's redemption than it was in the movie after Django became re-chained.
It was the sister who had him be sent off to that other slave trade with the Aussies. She was far from innocent.

As far as letting that guy die, he had no choice. He had to 'stsy in character' or else their cover would've been blown had he shown compassion.

And seriously, the whole movie Django only had one objective anyway and that was to get Broomhilda by any means necessary. That was his objective and he stuck with it no matter what or who got in his way.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #94
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

Quote:
Besides what was said about sending him to the mining camp, the only reason the sister was mad about ripping the dress off was because of all the time she spent "dressing up hilda"

Trainwreck2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #95
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
It was the sister who had him be sent off to that other slave trade with the Aussies. She was far from innocent.

As far as letting that guy die, he had no choice. He had to 'stsy in character' or else their cover would've been blown had he shown compassion.

And seriously, the whole movie Django only had one objective anyway and that was to get Broomhilda by any means necessary. That was his objective and he stuck with it no matter what or who got in his way.
Not like that came after Django and his friend decided to commit murders in her home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck2100 View Post
Besides what was said about sending him to the mining camp, the only reason the sister was mad about ripping the dress off was because of all the time she spent "dressing up hilda"
That was an excuse in front of company. You could say she was simply embarrassed by how her brother was acting in front of guest.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #96
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Chaseter said she 'didn't do anything at all.' and didn't deserve to be killed.

My only point was that she did.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #97
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

She did nothing whatsoever. She simply wanted rightful retribution. Her brother was murdered for no reason. Django shot up her people and her house. It wasn't even really her idea to send him with the Aussies. It was made clear the idea was planted in her head.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #98
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
I thought she even showed horror at her brother when he ripped off Brunhilda's dress at dinner.
I read that as "I don't wanna see those disgusting scars while I'm eating and you just wasted all that time I spent prettying her up." There may have been some sympathy in there, but her primary concern to me seemed to be that she was embarrassed for herself.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #99
terry78

She was still part of the slave trade and didn't exactly lift a finger to right any wrongs Candie did. Guilty by association.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #100
Holiday
'Bout that action

Exactly. We may not see her get as nasty as Calvin or Stephen but she is still a slave owner. I didn't feel bad seeing her get blown away hilariously.

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote