She did nothing whatsoever.
Oh well. **** 'er.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #102
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: Django Unchained - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
She was still part of the slave trade and didn't exactly lift a finger to right any wrongs Candie did. Guilty by association.
Slave trade was completely legal. It is how Schultz came into possession of Django after all.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #103
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck2100 View Post
Besides what was said about sending him to the mining camp, the only reason the sister was mad about ripping the dress off was because of all the time she spent "dressing up hilda"
Django just killed her family. Was she going to forgive him and be friends? It's that or the noose.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #104
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Exactly. We may not see her get as nasty as Calvin or Stephen but she is still a slave owner. I didn't feel bad seeing her get blown away hilariously.
Women back then didn't have any rights. They weren't slaves but you could see how she did what Candie told her and had that big fake smile on her face. She didn't do a single disgusting thing in the movie. If someone just killed my family, I would want them tortured too no matter who they were. Then again as mentioned, the final 20 or so minutes were awful anyways...this included.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 01-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #105
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
She was still part of the slave trade and didn't exactly lift a finger to right any wrongs Candie did. Guilty by association.
What about the other black hand maidens, especially that one that was by Candie's side at Mandingo fights? Steven died for being a traitor...why not her? She was complicit with all the atrocities.

You keep forgetting how Django let a slave get eaten by dogs when he revoked Fritz's offer. He could have been saved. But Candie's sister deserved to die for sending Django off to a work camp after he killed her brother......

Old 01-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #106
jacobed
Banned User

My problem with her is how she got blown away. For one his pistol has not blown any back throughout the movie so why did she go flying, secondly the angle was completely wrong. I facepalmed hard at that little sequence and it was cringe worthy

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #107
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

The whole movie was basically a blaxploitation revenge flick. As Foxx said in an interview, if you want to learn about slavery from a movie, watch a documentary, not this one. Ultimately it did just come down to Django taking issue with white people, aside from Schultz. Politically incorrect it may be, she was guilty because she was white, point blank.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #108
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
She did nothing whatsoever. She simply wanted rightful retribution. Her brother was murdered for no reason. Django shot up her people and her house. It wasn't even really her idea to send him with the Aussies. It was made clear the idea was planted in her head.
Doesn't matter if the idea was planted in her head, she still agreed with it.

When she did that, she got her hands dirty as well.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #109
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Default Re: Django Unchained - Part 1

I hope an extended version will show more of broomhilda's life as a concubine "pony".. wasn't there a character that Sacha Baron Cohen was supposed to play..

hopefully there will be some action figures produced for the main characters. Django can get a whip, pistol and rifle.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #110
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Django just killed her family. Was she going to forgive him and be friends? It's that or the noose.
And her brother held a hammer to his wife's head threatening to bash it in. Was he supposed to just let that go?

Doesn't matter how nice she may have come off, at the end of the day she was still a slave owner and he was a former slave...with a gun.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #111
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

I should mention that Django didn't kill Candie, but King Schultz did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #112
Holiday
'Bout that action

Quote:
Women back then didn't have any rights. They weren't slaves but you could see how she did what Candie told her and had that big fake smile on her face. She didn't do a single disgusting thing in the movie. If someone just killed my family, I would want them tortured too no matter who they were. Then again as mentioned, the final 20 or so minutes were awful anyways...this included.
Django didn't kill Candie but anyway she was gladly part of a family that owned slaves, that's plenty disgusting.

Quote:
What about the other black hand maidens, especially that one that was by Candie's side at Mandingo fights? Steven died for being a traitor...why not her? She was complicit with all the atrocities.

You keep forgetting how Django let a slave get eaten by dogs when he revoked Fritz's offer. He could have been saved. But Candie's sister deserved to die for sending Django off to a work camp after he killed her brother......
Stephen wasn't just a traitor house negro, he was the true mastermind behind the plantation. He put the fear into the other slaves to keep them in check. A worse man than Candie, really. If not for him, Django, Schultz and Broomhilda all get out of Candyland alive.

Also, if I remember right, the girl present for the mandingo fight seemed disgusted by what was taking place.

You mentioned the slave eaten by dogs... What is Django to do there? Attempt to save him and blow his cover as Schultz nearly did in trying to buy him? Django is "getting dirty" as he said. His priority is to save his wife, not to be a hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
My problem with her is how she got blown away. For one his pistol has not blown any back throughout the movie so why did she go flying, secondly the angle was completely wrong. I facepalmed hard at that little sequence and it was cringe worthy
You're totally this guy:

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #113
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
And her brother held a hammer to his wife's head threatening to bash it in. Was he supposed to just let that go?

Doesn't matter how nice she may have come off, at the end of the day she was still a slave owner and he was a former slave...with a gun.
See how your example was about Candie and not his sister? What did Candie holding a hammer to Brunhilda's head have to do with Candie's sister? How is Django any better than Candie's sister when he let an innocent man die?

Old 01-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #114
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Default Re: Django Unchained - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
I hope an extended version will show more of broomhilda's life as a concubine "pony".. wasn't there a character that Sacha Baron Cohen was supposed to play..
Cohen had to exit the production. I don't think they ever shot his scenes. Shame. His character had one of the best scenes in the script.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #115
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Django didn't kill Candie but anyway she was gladly part of a family that owned slaves, that's plenty disgusting.

Stephen wasn't just a traitor house negro, he was the true mastermind behind the plantation. He put the fear into the other slaves to keep them in check. A worse man than Candie, really. If not for him, Django, Schultz and Broomhilda all get out of Candyland alive.

Also, if I remember right, the girl present for the mandingo fight seemed disgusted by what was taking place.

You mentioned the slave eaten by dogs... What is Django to do there? Attempt to save him and blow his cover as Schultz nearly did in trying to buy him? Django is "getting dirty" as he said. His priority is to save his wife, not to be a hero.
Being part of a family that does bad things doesn't mean you do bad things. Yes being complicit is pretty weak willed but again women had no rights back then and I don't think watching atrocities is the same as committing them. I don't think she deserved death but at that point Django was the Vader to his dead master Obi Wan.

Candie's sister seemed disgusted at dinner. The girl at the Mandingo fight was complicit like Candie's sister. They both were complicit to the horrors to live better lives.

So Django's priority is to let other innocents die for his wife and you judge Candie's sister negatively? Shultz seemed pretty disgusted it came to that and got revenge on the perpetrator that cost him his own life. Django showed no remorse and just became what he detested at the end. Their little charade was also discovered so that man's death held literally no weight in the end and lays solely at Django's feet.

This is all a silly argument that would never have been brought up if the movie didnt become stupid the last 20 minutes.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #116
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
She did nothing whatsoever. She simply wanted rightful retribution. Her brother was murdered for no reason. Django shot up her people and her house. It wasn't even really her idea to send him with the Aussies. It was made clear the idea was planted in her head.
Don't be so sure that she is so innocent. After Stephen and Calvin have their side conversation, they return to the room to toy with Schultz and Django. At no point, according to my memory, do either of them leave the dining room until the bloody resolution.

Calvin, in a very circular and overly colorful way, asks his sister to excuse herself. She leaves. Then minutes later, Butch is next room, armed to the teeth and knowing exactly who to point his guns at. Who communicated what to Butch when? I have my theory.

That to me shows Calvin and his sister had a code worked out, and she was every bit as involved in his "business" as Butch and all his underlings.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #117
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
Doesn't matter if the idea was planted in her head, she still agreed with it.

When she did that, she got her hands dirty as well.
It was that or kill him. Both very much in her right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Don't be so sure that she is so innocent. After Stephen and Calvin have their side conversation, they return to the room to toy with Schultz and Django. At no point, according to my memory, do either of them leave the dining room until the bloody resolution.

Calvin, in a very circular and overly colorful way, asks his sister to excuse herself. She leaves. Then minutes later, Butch is next room, armed to the teeth and knowing exactly who to point his guns at. Who communicated what to Butch when? I have my theory.

That to me shows Calvin and his sister had a code worked out, and she was every bit as involved in his "business" as Butch and all his underlings.
You do realize that Schultz and Django were the ones who lied right? That the entire situation was their fault right? That Candie and his men had no idea of their exact intentions and that both men were armed and that Candie had the right, on his property, to hold them at gun point? He could have shot them, but didn't.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #118
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Wow. This argument is still going on.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #119
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
She did nothing whatsoever.
From his site, to someone there with a similar position as yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald Hudlin
Funny you mention her. Her death, consistently, gets the biggest laugh from ALL audiences.

First of all, if anyone was left alive, they would aid the Regulators in tracking them down. They all had to go.

Second of all, she aided and abetted. She was complicit in evil. You're the first person I've heard defend her life.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #120
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post

I don't know why I'm jumping into this, but I am all the same. Stephen and/or Calvin could easily have just told Butch what to do in between their library scene and their return to Schultz & Django in the dining room. Seems the simplest and most likely possibility to me.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #121
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Candie's sister seemed disgusted at dinner.
Please. She was "disgusted" that Candie was showing Hilde's scars at the dinner table. That's all.

Quote:
Shultz seemed pretty disgusted it came to that and got revenge on the perpetrator that cost him his own life. Django showed no remorse and just became what he detested at the end.
Schultz was disgusted because he wasn't used to it. Django...being a slave and all...saw that type of stuff all the time.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #122
childeroland
Side-Kick

I'm not sure we're meant to know the full extent of Lara's complicity, though she arranges for Django to be sent to the mine after Schultz kills Calvin. I took the idea (or one of them) of Django killing her to be the way vengeance can turn the avengers into monsters no matter how justified the anger, simply because of the nature of revenge. Or how "Django goes from purified by his victimization to stained by his rage," as Walter Chaw puts it. Also, he couldn't risk Lara coming after him and Hildy after he blew up the house. After all, if Schultz had just swallowed his hatred and shaken Candie's hand, he, Django and Hildy would have just walked out of there scott free.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #123
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Did people miss the part about how it was the sister's idea to send django to the certain death mining camp? The way they talked about it it seemed more like a death camp than work camp. The fact they thought that would be worst for djando than losing his nuts says a lot about that place.

Also Django is an anti-hero just like most of the spaghetti western heroes were, he wasn't playing the black John wayne. It was obvious both him and schultz were.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #124
samsnee
Side-Kick

I don't know, let's ask Sam Jackson what he thinks:

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #125
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Candie's sister getting blown backwards got a big laugh from my theater. It isn't meant to be serious just like shotguns don't actually blow people through the air and destroiy bookshelves. Come on, its a movie. A ridiculous over-the-top movie about a slave getting vengeance on the evil white man. It is a good time. Pull the stick out of your ass and have a good time.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote