The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 06-17-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
Default What Our Fathers Did: A Nazi Legacy (2015)

What Our Fathers Did: A Nazi Legacy (2015)
Director: : David Evans
IMDB: 6.8/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 89%

"What Our Fathers Did" is about the now elderly children of two prominent nazis who played a senior administrative role in the Nazi state including the holocaust. They interact with a Jewish lawyer, descended from a Ukrainian Jew who was the only Jew in his extended family to survive.

The two men are Niklas Frank and Horst von Wächter. The first, is revolted by his father's crimes, his father was killed at Nuremberg and there's a scene where they visit his father's cell together. One of his last memories of his father is visiting him at Nuremberg, and he was disappointed because his father lied to him and said he would be out soon. The other man, Horst von Wachter, is an apologist for his father, says his father was stuck in the system, tried to help and couldn't. The movie is mostly a dialogue between Frank and von Wachter, with Frank trying and failing to convince him to condemn his father.

At the end of the movie, Frank says they can no longer be friends, and von Wachter is seen having a good time in the Ukraine where his father is venerated there. For those not aware, Ukraine is largely torn between Germany and Russia, so there is a lot of sympathy for the Nazis particularly in the western side. Some of the rebels wear nazi insignia, and they believe that nazi administration of the Galicia region in world war II would have helped Ukraine be independent of Russia.

This is a decent, but not a great film. It's interesting that they found two men who are polar opposites, I can't imagine how I would respond if my parents or other ancestors were war criminals. It's available on Netflix Australia.
I don't have much to say on it, here is a longer discussion about the two men in the London Telegraph if you're interested:

My review of BvS, to which I gave a C+:
DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote