The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 AM   #26
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man v.2 - Part 4

I was ready to jump off Superior Spider-Man but the very last page saved the issue for me.
Question; If Spider-Ock sleeps with MJ, is that rape?

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #27
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Let's not go there until it actually happens in the comic. There's no need for 10 pages of endless debate about something that may or may not happen, eventually it will all just spiral out of control and turn this place into one that I won't want to visit. Agreed?

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #28
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

you're right. and it probably won't happen.

Some men just want to watch the DCCU burn.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #29
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

And for the record, it'd be 1/3 rape but fully a threesome.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #30
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I kinda like what Slott's doing in concept these past two issues, but his execution is really turning me off. To bounce from Peter being dead, to Peter being not so dead in the course of two issues just feels cheap.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #31
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
And for the record, it'd be 1/3 rape but fully a threesome.
Lol. They just should not go there. Either have MJ put off by the considerably less than subtle change in his personality (that would be better for her character than have her willing to bed someone suddenly acting like a complete knob-end), or have Jimminy Peter stop Ock from 'sealing the deal' should he get that far.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #32
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I kinda like what Slott's doing in concept these past two issues, but his execution is really turning me off. To bounce from Peter being dead, to Peter being not so dead in the course of two issues just feels cheap.
That last page saved the issue for me. The issue was seriously losing me until the final page.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #33
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

You obviously have no idea of what I'm talking about.

The last page compounds the incredible flaw in the issue's/arc's writing.

It's really a shame so many people care more about catering to their own childish needs of the character over solid and dramatic writing.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #34
roach
I am the night

I think its more of a bait and switch that Marvel pulled.
You can't tell me Peter Parker is gonna die, his fans are gonna fade away.
Get mad because fans don't like the idea or the execution
and then in the new book reveal Peter isnt dead
Then berate fans for reacting/over-reacting to 'Peter's death'.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #35
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Yeah, that was pretty stupid thing to say to the fans is that 'you will fade away and be replaced' and then an issue or two later reveal it was a fake out. That's just trolling. They wind up fans (intentionally, it seems) and then act innocent.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #36
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Lol. They just should not go there. Either have MJ put off by the considerably less than subtle change in his personality (that would be better for her character than have her willing to bed someone suddenly acting like a complete knob-end), or have Jimminy Peter stop Ock from 'sealing the deal' should he get that far.
I would rather like it if Peter, as he's taking control, decides he wants MJ back, and Ock realizes Peter is not confident or enough of a go-getter as Parker to do so. So Ock becomes like his edge, and a voice in his mind that convinces Peter to be more confident. This repairs his relationship with MJ, and then Ock finally decides to depart from Peter's brain and die as someone who did good with his final act. To me, that would be a nice way to end it.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Yeah, that was pretty stupid thing to say to the fans is that 'you will fade away and be replaced' and then an issue or two later reveal it was a fake out. That's just trolling. They wind up fans (intentionally, it seems) and then act innocent.
I've never really liked Slott's writing. Even back when he was doing good books like She-Hulk I always thought he just wrote a bunch of fan fiction and fanwank. He was like the McDonald's of comic writers to me: mediocre crap, but at least you knew it was mediocre crap.

We got in a few arguments on here too.

After this story arc, I'm honestly no longer sorry for calling him a hack on here.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #38
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

agrees.. it's piss poor planning imo... and all it does is slap your often extremely loyal fanbase around. That's how you lose fans, not make them.

Marvel's Comic dept has been pissing me off for a few years now... I swear... they are almost exactly doing the same things that drove down the comic industry over a decade ago.. and to sum it up in one phrase "cheap ploys and tactics"

everything is a "big altering event" and every issue now need several "collectible variant" covers....

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #39
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

we didn't need Peter back so soon obviously. It totally destroys the momentum of ASM 700.

Some men just want to watch the DCCU burn.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #40
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lťo Ho Tep View Post
we didn't need Peter back so soon obviously. It totally destroys the momentum of ASM 700.
Agreed. Especially if we all knew it would be coming sometime, which we did, because just about everyone in this thread anticipated exactly what did happen.

It makes me wonder why they even bothered hyping it. Peter wasn't even dead for even a whole issue.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #41
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

My comments on what's happened from another thread:

Quote:
I've not read Superior Spider-Man but I feel like people are just getting caught up in the advertising hype. This is nothing new really. Firestorm's been doing it for years. And it's just a regular story twist dressed up way more than it likely should have been. Should the series have relaunched when he got the symbiote costume? Or when he went Cosmic? Or when he embraced the Spider? Or when Ben Reilly took over? No. And we can all look back and know round about what issues those happened in sequence because of the numerical value of comics. These days we can't do that.

First off, a MAJOR turn off for me is that they, yet again, killed off a character and made a huge fuss about it only to bring them back an issue later. In this regard, Marvel is a joke. I actually would have had more respect for the story if Slott would have revealed Peter being alive in SpOck's head at the end of 700 as to not jerk around fans. That would have told me that Marvel was more invested in the story than in the gimmick.

All of this was a money grab. They over-sized and over-priced issue 700 and then made this big thing about Peter dying and the book relaunching to simply tell what should have been just the next arc in the story. I'll tell you... I'm so freaking sick of gimmicks. Tell a good freaking story. This could be a good story, but all the gimmicks surrounding it has turned me off from ever bothering trying it. And even now when it sounds like Spidey 2099 might actually make an appearance in Superior, I no longer care. At Marvel, the gimmicks are bigger than the stories and that's just rediculous.

Again, I'm not reading the book. But the only thing that I can see coming out of this and really benefiting from the relaunch and hype is that moment when Peter's voice informs Ock that HE is the superior Spider-Man and then does something with his body to totally overthrow Ock. I'll say this though, as cool as that moment might be, it isn't worth all this gimmicky crap. In fact, him just flat out calling himself superior without the predictable build up to it would be a better impact than telegraphing the moment (if it ever happens).

I don't know if this sort of thing is the writer's idea or the editors or what... but I wish they were better idea men, whoever thought of it.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #42
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

I can understand the separation, but first off they spoiled it as a death, rather than leave the hype ambiguous. Characters "apparently die" all the time. Very few remember Professor X "dying" at the hands of the Brood and quickly overturning it. Very few, for that matter, remember Cyclops becoming a pawn of the Brood, then leaving and seeking "the normal life", what Chris Claremont originally intended.

So the first part that bothered me was all the hype, as you point out the dramatic conclusion.

Had they left this ambiguous, and made a hint about this I wouldn't have minded.

They flat out spelled it out though!

That's soooo ham fisted and bad.

Now everyone's waiting on the "when's Parker coming back".

I mean seriously. This should've at least taken six issues. It should have been a series of lingering questions. Because the funny thing, is I somewhat enjoyed Ock-Spidey for a bit. The end is what made me groan.

This was an obvious place to go. We all said it. Just a horrible way to get there.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #43
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

I really really really don't get all the hand wringing with fanboys! Stop worring about issue numbers and "status quos!" It's a story arc! Marvel does it all the time! Slott just had an idea for a Doc Ock story and it just so happened to time up with Marvel NOW, so they thought of a fun way to use it!

Just read it! I'm a looooong time fan and I'm loving it! It was a fun book! Loved Ock making use of Pete's life, but you can clearly see it is Ock, mostly through dialogue. I like Ock's refinements to crime fighting. Yeah, it's creepy Ock leering at MJ. Guess what? It's suppose to be! It's funny because it's Pete. Ock's thoughts are plastered all over MJ's dialogue, idicating he's not even listening. It's also funny hearing Pete call with genius co-workers as "dolts!"

Just enjoy the ride, people!

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #44
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

...buuuttt

What if this is all in Peter's head. What he goes crazy because he was responsible for Otto's death. So as a way to disassociate himself he believes he swaps bodies with Ock. Now he's got a spit personality disorder, and moves between two extremes between trying to have a sweet life but be a villain or sacrifice everything and be a hero.

I don't think that's out of the question.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #45
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
I really really really don't get all the hand wringing with fanboys! Stop worring about issue numbers and "status quos!" It's a story arc! Marvel does it all the time! Slott just had an idea for a Doc Ock story and it just so happened to time up with Marvel NOW, so they thought of a fun way to use it!

Just read it! I'm a looooong time fan and I'm loving it! It was a fun book! Loved Ock making use of Pete's life, but you can clearly see it is Ock, mostly through dialogue. I like Ock's refinements to crime fighting. Yeah, it's creepy Ock leering at MJ. Guess what? It's suppose to be! It's funny because it's Pete. Ock's thoughts are plastered all over MJ's dialogue, idicating he's not even listening. It's also funny hearing Pete call with genius co-workers as "dolts!"

Just enjoy the ride, people!
aka... "Just shut up and give them your money whether you like it or not."

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #46
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Right now, I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping the book after issue #1. It's not without its fun, but right now the story just seems uninspired and predictable. I'll give it a couple more issues before I really decide for myself.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #47
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
...buuuttt

What if this is all in Peter's head. What he goes crazy because he was responsible for Otto's death. So as a way to disassociate himself he believes he swaps bodies with Ock. Now he's got a spit personality disorder, and moves between two extremes between trying to have a sweet life but be a villain or sacrifice everything and be a hero.

I don't think that's out of the question.
That's an interesting idea. I thought about something like that, that Pete is still Pete, only Doc Ock implanted this personality to make Pete think he is really Doc Ock.

But, I still think there was some swap that happened and the key will be the "soul molecule."

Quote:
Hobby, you're entitled to your opinion. But, it just seems like everyone is looking for some Marvel conspiracy when it's just Dan telling a story. Of course, we knew Pete would be back. Just like when we read comic books we know the hero will eventually, at some point, win. But, we read it anyway to enjoy the story.

All I'm saying, ignore the hype that Marvel is trying to sell comics (gasp!) and read the story. Or don't (as you've said you are not reading it, yet still feel the need to comment on it). I'm just saying I recommend it. It's a fun read with lots of possibilities!

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #48
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
That's an interesting idea. I thought about something like that, that Pete is still Pete, only Doc Ock implanted this personality to make Pete think he is really Doc Ock.

But, I still think there was some swap that happened and the key will be the "soul molecule."

Hobby, you're entitled to your opinion. But, it just seems like everyone is looking for some Marvel conspiracy when it's just Dan telling a story. Of course, we knew Pete would be back. Just like when we read comic books we know the hero will eventually, at some point, win. But, we read it anyway to enjoy the story.

All I'm saying, ignore the hype that Marvel is trying to sell comics (gasp!) and read the story. Or don't (as you've said you are not reading it, yet still feel the need to comment on it). I'm just saying I recommend it. It's a fun read with lots of possibilities!
is it really a conspiracy when marvel's pushed alot of events for years on us? its fine when it's a rare occurance.. but since disassembled every time Spider-Man or IronMan goes to the bathroom it's a "big status changing event!"

DC is just as bad... "the crisis of crisiss!!!!"

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #49
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Quote:
No... it's "if you don't like the book, then STFU and stop buying it"... but IF you like it, then by all means, give Marvel your money.

Clearly, Spider-Gnome LIKED the story, hence why he's going to "enjoy the ride"... but to all the Negative Nancies... if you HATED the book so much, then don't buy the next issue.

And WTF is up with you having an opinion on Spider-Man when you haven't bought an issue since the Marla Madison death storyline?

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #50
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Themanofbat ... Buddy to be fair, is there even a storyline that'd stop you from buying the book? I think you'd want it out and eventually just move on keep on buying and love it still in a different way...

Now that's great that you can do that... But don't diss others for being unable to