The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #901
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

Quote:
Ah, c'mon. How can you not like Batman getting back at Bane with his own "permission to die" taunt. I think that's blatant nitpicking there.
Beyond the fact that it's kind of lazy?

Well, partially because as a Batman fan, I don't care for a Batman who kills, or who "gets back at" people through sheer revenge or killing them.

I'd prefer to see Batman rise above Bane in every respect and have something of his own to say VS just tacking one of the things Bane said to him onto the end of a series of questions about where the detonator is.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 02-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #902
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Did the hate over the dialogue with Bane become because of TDKR or were there just as much flack for how Batman dealt with Ra's?

I feel like it's just because of TDKR as a film that people nitpick everything about. Who knows, maybe the same shtick happened in '05.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #903
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I'm serious, though. As "call and response" dialogue goes, having an actor repeat something that was said earlier in the movie...there simply wasn't the emotional impact in this film with that kind of thing like there was in the other two. The actual placement of that type of dialogue was just kind of lazily handled, with the exception of "I know who he was. He was The Batman."

The whole "You have my permission to die" bit, was just kind of tossed in there. It's like the writers realized "Crap, if Batman doesn't say this at the end of all these 'Where's the detonator?'s, we won't be able to put this line in again."

It had none of the impact of the admittedly cheesy "It's not who I am underneath" line, or Alfred's "Nevah", or "You either die a hero, etc".

It's like they ran out of stuff for characters to say, so they reverted to what they do best: having characters echo other characters, but they did it kind of randomly. In general, it felt really tacked on and unimportant to the characters and the plot. I think in part it's because the writers in this series have tended to use this type of dialogue for "lessons" the characters have learned, but there weren't really any lessons learned this time around that involved it.
This is overboard. Well, for me anyway i thought the "permission to die" line at Bane was absolutely amazing. With badass delivery. One of my fav moments. It's exactly what any of us would have done in a fighting situation like that.

The fact that Bane said this to Bruce when he was down, hovered over in excruciating pain, with Bane in complete control...it made it that much more natural for Batman to throw it back in Banes face when HE is down, in pain, looking up at Bats without control.

Nitpicking at its finest. Because it's not lazy, it fit perfectly and mirrored the previous scene in the prison.

Now, the "i came back to stop you" line...that's a different story. The pause and everything? Yeah i expected a different line and something more original. Of course i watch this movie so many times so like with anything i get used to it and grow to like it. But it still could have been soooo much better. Especially since Banes line (and delivery) was fantastic. "Soo youuu came back to diee with youuuuuur citttttaaay...??" with his crazy eyes.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #904
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

There was a LOT of flak about how Batman dealt with Ra's in BB. Granted, I wasn't posting here back then but...I was reading.

Chris and Jonah openly talk about their difficulty with that aspect of the movie in the TDK Trilogy Screenplays book, with Jonah in particular feeling it might have been a little too much. I think that could have a small played a factor in wanting to bring the LOS and address the al Ghul storyline further in Rises.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 02-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #905
kvz5
HBIC

I'm a fan of when Batman repeats his villain's lines just before he beats them. It's a taunt and a form of humiliation. But that's just me.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #906
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
I'm a fan of when Batman repeats his villain's lines just before he beats them. It's a taunt and a form of humiliation. But that's just me.
True, he sorta did that in all three movies.

"You never learned to mind your surroundings!"

"No, but I know how you got THESE!" (so cheesy, but I adore that line)

Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #907
georgec
Not a hero

LOL this thread is hilarious. It makes me feel like I need permission and approval before I can love the movie.

It's a shame, some people can't get past the smallest of details (which aren't even issues or problems in any regard).

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #908
batfreakforever
A real fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
LOL this thread is hilarious. It makes me feel like I need permission and approval before I can love the movie.

It's a shame, some people can't get past the smallest of details (which aren't even issues or problems in any regard).
Yeah man, its pretty crazy the things they nitpick about. To me it just seems like half the time the don't even know what they are complaining about. Its almost like they looked on forums or reviews and went hey they have'nt ripped apart this scene yet lets do that one. Plus they keep bringing up the same "issues'' maybe they think they can convince people that the ''issues'' are real. But this is the place where I can go and talk Batman. I come here to not feel alone with my intrests but when I read alot of fans I think maybe I am alone.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #909
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
When it comes to Nolan's trilogy, I agree, it adds much more to Batman beating his villains when he has a retort, either saying the same thing such as with Ra's or Bane, or when he was "answering" Joker in TDK, lol. If I were to hear it in a cartoon, like Batman:TAS though, I don't think I'd appreciate that much. It's a form, which is what I view it as, of Batman overcoming the villains much more than just physically in these three films. Also for an example, "Would you like a taste of your own medicine, doctor?" to Crane.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #910
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:

Well, partially because as a Batman fan, I don't care for a Batman who kills, or who "gets back at" people through sheer revenge or killing them.

I'd prefer to see Batman rise above Bane in every respect and have something of his own to say VS just tacking one of the things Bane said to him onto the end of a series of questions about where the detonator is.
So basically you want something similar to Clooney's Batman speech to Bane at the end of B&R?

"Then...you have my permission to die" was a fitting reprise of a powerful line. It's similar to "mind your surroundings" from BB, and one-line reprisals are something of movie cliche. A certain line or moment which is repeated to show how much had changed over the course of the film. Cliche? Maybe, but quite memorable. Batman saying that only further emphasized his rise to become the one who could not be defeated; the one with the power over the other.

I like to think Batman would have eventually pieced Bane's tubes back together after he received the information he desired (through interrogating tactics), but Talia stabs him almost immediately after he gains the upper-hand on Bane.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #911
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
But was it better than "WURZZZZ DA TRIGGAR?!?! URRRRZZ WURDNT GURV IT TO A NURMURL SURDURZZIN!! WURRRZZZZ DA TRIGGGAR?!?!"?
It's impossible for me to watch that scene and not laugh. It's the most over the top scene with the Bat voice. Bar none. He just keeps on shouting it lol.

- The Joker
Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #912
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I always wonder if Nolan ever asked himself why he conceded to that dreadful voice while editing that scene.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #913
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batbax View Post
Would've been so much better if they sing their lines. Now THAT is real batman yo.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #914
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
...but Talia stabs him almost immediately after he gains the upper-hand on Bane.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand cue transition to complaining about the Talia reveal, how it ruined Bane's character, and how their plan was stupider than stupid.

Ready, set, go!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #915
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand cue transition to complaining about the Talia reveal, how it ruined Bane's character, and how their plan was stupider than stupid.

Ready, set, go!
Well, it was

Free Original Music
Old 02-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #916
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:

Him getting back at Bane with that line wasn't about him actually wanting to kill him. It wasn't to be taken literally.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #917
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, it was just Batman's clever way of saying "I've beaten you, I know you're in excruciating pain right now, but you're not off the hook until you tell me what I want to know." And throwing back Bane's cruel words in his face.

Also, I still think "full of people READY TO BELIEVE I GOOOOOOOD" is almost more ridiculous than the "WHEREZ DA TRIGGAAARR??" scene. It's one thing to have Batman barking like that when he's angrily interrogating someone for extremely urgent reasons, it's another when he's trying to make a statement about humanity, lol.. Oddly enough I don't mind either scene though, just cause I don't mind a few over the top moments from Batman. Even the Animated Series had 'em.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #918
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:

Did you hate Batman's "You've never learned to mind your surroundings..." reversal on Ra's Al Ghul as well before he lets Ra's crumble to his death as well?

Quote:
I like to think Batman would have eventually pieced Bane's tubes back together after he received the information he desired
I don't think so. This is the same Batman that lets his former mentor fall to his death with no visible remorse; and Bane was a bigger bastard arguably.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #919
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:

It's not lazy, it's just a different goal than you might have in mind. It's playing with audience expectation, and maybe you didn't like it, but my audience sure as hell loved it. It's also important from a character perspective because he's finally got the upper hand on Bane and, mirroring Bane and Talia's original plan to watch him fail, he's doing the same, telling Bane he's going to make him watch his own plan fail.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #920
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
I like my Batsy to have a bit of fun.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #921
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
I like my Batsy to have a bit of fun.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #922
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I like my Batman as a figure skater. He wears like a white outfit, and he does interpretive ice dances.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #923
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Then Batman and Robin must be perfection.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #924
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Lol, it's a nod to Talladega Nights, lol.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #925
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
I can't see it because imgur is blocked at work, but if it's the Bat Credit Card....