The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #151
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,203
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Mark Millar 7 months ago:

"A pal of mine is good friends with the new Justice League screenwriter and said his take on the team is incredible. Very real-world and not at all what you might expect. WB has a chequered history with their superhero characters. They’re great with their boy wizards, but less consistent with their DC stable. But my chum said that this could be a thing of beauty and has been in the works for a little while now, not just an Avengers knock-off. Best of luck to them. The tidbits I heard sound quite dark and mature, which isn’t what I expected. But word on Gangster Squad is great too, so I feel this is in really good hands."

Gangster Squad is currently 44% on Rottentomatoes, and it's this Will Bealls only credit.
people liked the script it is the reason it got guys like brolin,penn,and gosling script was on the blacklist

Project862006 is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #152
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,115
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Gangster Squad is currently 44% on Rottentomatoes, and it's this Will Bealls only credit.
I haven't been following it much. But it seems like Ruben Fleischer is getting the majority of the blame for what people didn't like.

__________________
I like Ben Affleck.
HighFivingMF is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #153
Smallville13
Side-Kick
 
Smallville13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,951
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Still it seems odd that WB would hand the keys to their major film (that so much depends on) to someone who didn't even have a single film under his belt at the time.

Smallville13 is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #154
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,434
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Yeah, well, if we ignore the facts as we know them, then I guess your opinion holds up.
Yeah...you're right...directors, producers, and other Hollywood types always speak in facts. Probably should trust them. I'm sure Peter Jackson had to beg Warner Bros to make a 3rd Hobbit Film.

"No Peter Jackson! We don't want to make money!"

We can agree to disagree.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #155
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,434
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
people liked the script it is the reason it got guys like brolin,penn,and gosling script was on the blacklist
The previously Justice League script, JLM was also on the blacklist. That script is awful.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #156
STARMAN
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,282
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

I want to get to the point where there's new MOS news every week.

STARMAN is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #157
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
people liked the script it is the reason it got guys like brolin,penn,and gosling script was on the blacklist
That's what I was thinking. Gosling doesn't do a movie unless it has a good script. Regardless, Millar's quote is hardly what you'd expect to hear if it was "soulless". LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Yeah...you're right...directors, producers, and other Hollywood types always speak in facts. Probably should trust them. I'm sure Peter Jackson had to beg Warner Bros to make a 3rd Hobbit Film.

"No Peter Jackson! We don't want to make money!"

We can agree to disagree.
Random internet opinions that ignore facts as we know them tend to be much more based in truth.

ElDuderino is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #158
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,434
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
I want to get to the point where there's new MOS news every week.
The good news is we will eventually.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #159
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,434
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Random internet opinions that ignore facts as we know them tend to be much more based in truth.
I just prefer to try and do my own thinking and attempt to read between the lines. Remember when Zack Snyder said Zod wasn't in Man Of Steel?

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #160
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I just prefer to try and do my own thinking and attempt to read between the lines. Remember when Zack Snyder said Zod wasn't in Man Of Steel?
Making up your own version of history is fun, I guess.

If your point was that directors lie when keeping plot points secret, I wouldn't have taken issue. But that wasn't your point.

ElDuderino is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #161
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I just prefer to try and do my own thinking and attempt to read between the lines. Remember when Zack Snyder said Zod wasn't in Man Of Steel?
That was just weird and... dumb? The official news had already revealed him as the villain long before that. That was just a strange move from Snyder. Wasnt it?

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #162
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe
 
Midnight Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Circle City (Naptown)
Posts: 3,269
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
well since he typed the word "apart", if you look at its definition on any given dictionary, it means that MOS won't be within the world that the JLA is creating.
I know it was misused. Not your fault, but his. However, the context of the sentence and the stories on SHH etc. indicated that it would be a shared universe and setup JL.

Nothing big though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone View Post
A bright object illuminates the night sky over Metropolis as it plummets towards ground. Superman pierces through the clouds to intercept. He catches the object in his arms. It's a man. Beaten and bloodied, pulsating with an otherworldly GREEN glow.

SUPERMAN
(wary)
Who are you? Where did you come from?

GREEN LANTERN/HAL JORDAN
(strained)
...Green Lantern...Sector...2814
...Apokolips...is...coming...
Yes and yes. I could dig this.

__________________
Indiana Hype Group: http://forums.superherohype.com/group.php?groupid=141

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Midnight Black is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #163
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
That was just weird and... dumb? The official news had already revealed him as the villain long before that. That was just a strange move from Snyder. Wasnt it?
Hadn't Shannon even talked about it at that point? He very well could have been just saying absurd things so people would stop asking him about it.

ElDuderino is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #164
STARMAN
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,282
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

I think some of these directors are copying Nolan too much. Just because Nolan keeps everything a secret doesn't mean every movie has to be classified Top Secret. I don't expect a director to reveal the exact plot points or spoil the ending. But you can admit who the villian is. It won't harm the movie.

STARMAN is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #165
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,434
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Making up your own version of history is fun, I guess.
Believing everything you're told because you want to believe it is just as fun I guess?

Quote:
If your point was that directors lie when keeping plot points secret, I wouldn't have taken issue. But that wasn't your point.
My point was that people in Hollywood don't always tell the truth. Seemed pretty clear to me.

As I said, we can agree to disagree. I don't want to continue to clog this thread with our thoughts on Hobbit.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #166
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday
 
Rust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark and out there...
Posts: 4,635
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Hadn't Shannon even talked about it at that point?
Well, he dodged it at the CC-presentation, but also some time before Shannon spoke about it, I think.

__________________
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new"
Rust is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #167
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,434
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
That was just weird and... dumb? The official news had already revealed him as the villain long before that. That was just a strange move from Snyder. Wasnt it?
I thought it was. It's not really a plot point you're hiding. It's not as if we're going to discover that Zod sees dead people. It was an odd move.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #168
STARMAN
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,282
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

I think the Hollywood Reporter was the first one to break the news about Zod soon after Snyder got the job.

I wonder why Vulture from NY mag doesn't talk about the movie anymore. He was the one that said the script was a mess and it was facing major third act issues. I guess his source doesn't have anything new to share.

STARMAN is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #169
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,524
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
I think the Hollywood Reporter was the first one to break the news about Zod soon after Snyder got the job.

I wonder why Vulture from NY mag doesn't talk about the movie anymore. He was the one that said the script was a mess and it was facing major third act issues. I guess his source doesn't have anything new to share.
SAY WHHHHHAT. Never read that article lol.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #170
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,434
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
SAY WHHHHHAT. Never read that article lol.
Ahhh. I remember that.

I just checked out your blog. Pretty cool.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #171
STARMAN
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,282
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

The two Vulture articles got alot of attention at the time. Negative attention. A couple of days after Snyder was hired they posted an article saying the script was rushed and was a mess. Then around FEB 2011 they said the studio wasn't happy with Snyder because Sucker Punch tested terribly with test audiences. That same article said MOS was facing major third act issues. Who knows if any of that was true. I wouldn't be surprised about Sucker Punch testing badly because it was a bad movie.

In some ways, that Feb 2011 Vulture article was the last time I heard something negative about the movie. Maybe they did have third act issues and rewrites fixed them up.

STARMAN is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #172
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd
 
ConnorKon-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,524
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Ahhh. I remember that.

I just checked out your blog. Pretty cool.
My blog ?

And we aren't even sure if the vulture article had any truth to it. Maybe the script had a "meh" third act. But that's what re-writes are for lol.

__________________
ConnorFilm
Letterboxd
ConnorKon-El is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #173
STARMAN
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,282
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

The Vulture article is old news. I only brought it up to highlight the fact that Vulture's scoops about MOS all occured before the movie filmed. Haven't heard a thing from him even during filming.

STARMAN is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #174
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,434
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
My blog ?

And we aren't even sure if the vulture article had any truth to it. Maybe the script had a "meh" third act. But that's what re-writes are for lol.
I think Latino Review might have mentioned script issues either on twitter or otherwise, but no, doesn't mean there actually were. Who knows what that guys agenda was.

Your tumblr site?

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #175
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hill Valley
Posts: 41,434
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
The two Vulture articles got alot of attention at the time. Negative attention. A couple of days after Snyder was hired they posted an article saying the script was rushed and was a mess. Then around FEB 2011 they said the studio wasn't happy with Snyder because Sucker Punch tested terribly with test audiences. That same article said MOS was facing major third act issues. Who knows if any of that was true. I wouldn't be surprised about Sucker Punch testing badly because it was a bad movie.

In some ways, that Feb 2011 Vulture article was the last time I heard something negative about the movie. Maybe they did have third act issues and rewrites fixed them up.
I personally dont think it matters if that was indeed true. Bad scripts sometimes equal good movies and vice versa.

__________________

Showtime is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.