And speaking of fan films...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=LF9Qk6m_b74

It's again old but a good one.
Ah, yes, I remember that one.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #103
BATZARRO WWD
Campeador Boricua

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

I think ther's bound to be something between the OT duels and the PT ones. I was just watching a Jet Li movie the other day...forgot what it was called but JL was a prodigy martial artist(yeah... I KNOW...) in late 19 century China and he got in a tournament to fight a bunch of foreigners. Now the fights where flowery, over the top and unrealistic. BUT each character had sort of his own style and sort of brought a philosophy to the fight. There was a fencer, a wrestler, a karateka, and more, and each fight felt different because it focused on the differences between fighters. And that's sort of what I think they should go for. An assasin does not fight the same as a knight. A haughty political guy does not fight the same as a young guy who lost his mother. You can inferr personality and character through coreography, while still making it visually interesting.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #104
Verbal21
Side-Kick

Now that I think about it, there wasn't even much of a duel in ROTJ. Just Luke wrecklessly swinging. But I do agree with that scene having way the emotion compared to seeing something like this

Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #105
Solidus
Kylo Ren

I fully disagree about ROTJ, even though it some issues, it's duel was superb, not as good as ESB, but it was loaded with emotion, and raw anger. Luke was not recklessly swinging in terms of a dance, it was him going ballistic and it worked wonderfully, probably my favorite part in ROTJ. There were aspects of dueling for a bit, but it was more about the emotional crescendo, which is again why ROTJ it worked so well.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #106
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
And speaking of fan films...
I like the Three in the Afternoon vid. Not linking it here because there might be swearing and God forbid someones innocent little angel hear a dirty word. But a YT search will take you right to it.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #107
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I thought the duels in the PT and OT were both equally good. Just different. In the PT you had more Jedi who were highly trained and refined in their skills. Developing their own styles. In the OT you had Vader, who was part machine and Luke who had very little skill. So those fights have to be more about emotion than style.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #108
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Well i can't say the duel in RotS didn't have emotion, it had plenty, it was just choreographed to look "cool" by todays standards.

Luke going ballistic screaming NEVEEEEEER !! is one of the most badass moments in film history, he is beating Vader in his own game and after cutting his hand he realises he is becoming Vader. you cant duplicate that feeling, the duel in RotS is as close as you can get, and it was emotional and well acted for the most part, when Ewan McGregor says you were the chosen one you can see it that he is really hurt (probably bacause he was the only one who really wanted to be in the film)( ok sam jackson too)

Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #109
regwec
Shakespearo

Part of the problem was that he was saying it to Hayden Christensen.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #110
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

Another problem is that in the old trilogy you actually got a real sense that Luke had affection for his father and wanted to save him. And even Vader's body language and voice betrayed his affection for his son.

In the PT the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan seems so contrived. One thing that bothered me in ROTS was how they kept calling one another "old friend," as if to tell the audience "remember we are friends! This is going to be so tragic!" But it breaks the old writing rule of show, don't tell. It would have been better to see them actually ACT like friends or brothers instead of just giving lip service to this supposed relationship. You shouldn't have to remind the audience that two characters are friends... they should be able to figure it out with ease. Not once did I really buy into their friendship, and it made that climactic duel feel hollow, despite Ewan McGregor doing a fantastic job with the lines he was given.

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #111
Octoberist
point blank

Knowing Disney's plans for Summer 2015 (Pirates 5 and Avengers 2 taking up May and July), do you all think that Star Wars will be released in December? I could see it happening that way: it'll ease the eventual Star Wars director and his schedule during pre-production. It's quite intimidating and you'll need all the time you can get when youre working on something like this without Lucas actively involved. Also, it'll give the film as promised in 2015 rather than delaying it to Summer 2016.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #112
Solidus
Kylo Ren

I'd say most likely winter, it would give them time to work on it, and give it lots of money. However I think Lucas being actively involved really does not make it "shorter" in production time. Though if they did want to keep the May spot, I guarantee you Episode VII is the big dog out of the three and they would shift other things around if they really wanted some kind of date (to keep with tradition).

However I see it being November/December they would have it to themselves, and do quite well I'm sure.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #113
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

I think a Winter release would be awesome for Star Wars, while I've always liked May as "Star Wars" month I think would a popular film to go see during the holidays.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #114
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Knowing Disney's plans for Summer 2015 (Pirates 5 and Avengers 2 taking up May and July), do you all think that Star Wars will be released in December?
That's been the rumor, yes.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #115
Viral
Side-Kick

I don't know if you read this guys. It's really a great read, but could this mean that Carrie Fisher is done with Star Wars and put an end to all the speculations that she'll appear in Episode 7?

http://www.starwars7news.com/2013/01...letter-to.html

Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #116
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

But she said she'll be back if asked. Don't make me cry, Carrie!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #117
Viral
Side-Kick

And now something more positive. Darth Vader voiced by Schwarzenegger!

http://www.starwars7news.com/2013/01...arl-jones.html

Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #118
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

LOL! That was pretty good. Check out 'The Vader Sessions" too.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #119
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMasterCBM View Post
Mark Strong for Thrawn!
Good call! Having read up on Thrawn (I know nothing about the 'Extended Universe'), the name that occurred to me was Mads Mikkelsen.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #120
xDumpweed182x
Forever-a-Newbie

I'll be honest, I loved the Anakin v. Obi Wan duel in RotS.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #121
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I'd say most likely winter, it would give them time to work on it, and give it lots of money. However I think Lucas being actively involved really does not make it "shorter" in production time. Though if they did want to keep the May spot, I guarantee you Episode VII is the big dog out of the three and they would shift other things around if they really wanted some kind of date (to keep with tradition).

However I see it being November/December they would have it to themselves, and do quite well I'm sure.

I don't see them moving Avengers 2. Star Wars is going to be big, but I don't think it'll have priority over the sequel to the third biggest movie of all-time.
Honestly, Pirates 4 should get the hell out of the July spot & move to December.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #122
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
I don't see them moving Avengers 2. Star Wars is going to be big, but I don't think it'll have priority over the sequel to the third biggest movie of all-time.
Honestly, Pirates 4 should get the hell out of the July spot & move to December.
I will say right here. Episode VII will probably make more then The Avengers 2. It's Star Wars. And a probable high quality one at that. Star Wars will always be the stronger franchise and I just will say again I disagree. However in terms of dates who knows. But if they move it to July or are thinking about it, they will move Avengers 2 to July (which there is nothing wrong with that, TDK and TDKR have shown that) That is if they want to keep with the May=Star Wars month.

However my prediction could be off, but I kinda get the feeling people are tired of comic book films to a point. And by 2015 I could see people welcoming a new Star Wars with open arms. But who knows, it is a prediction that is early with noting to base it off of, but I just get a feeling it will make more money.

Last edited by Solidus; 01-18-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #123
Octoberist
point blank

Even though there's a 3 year delay between the two Avengers, you still got the other Marvel movies in-between. With comic book movies being so ingrained in out modern tentpole world, there will be a breaking point of exhaustion. That includes me to a certain degree. It's like if you love ice cream so much that you decided to work at an ice cream shop. There will be a point where the sight of ice cream will make you sick.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #124
Solidus
Kylo Ren

I agree. I love comics, and I know the films will keep rolling in, it's pretty much it's own genre. But for the most part the massive amount of sci-fi blockbusters are superhero/comic films. I think people are ready for a massive blockbuster that is takes us back to the great galaxy far far away.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #125
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal21 View Post
Now that I think about it, there wasn't even much of a duel in ROTJ. Just Luke wrecklessly swinging. But I do agree with that scene having way the emotion compared to seeing something like this
Jesus this scene is ridiculous. Then they both go for a force push and just hover over each others hand.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Closed Thread