Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #126
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Don't forget absolutely nothing for Moonrise Kingdom. They were probably too weirded out by twelve year olds kissing and feeling each other up.
It got nominated for Best original Screenplay which is a step above tech awards. It got more than it deserved. Moonrise Kingdom was overrated. The Master got snubbed on that one.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #127
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
The most 'ballsy' thing would be if Batman failed- or rather, Bruce Wayne just concluded that the whole ruse had been a harmful indulgence, and he went to seek psychiatric help. Imagine if half of it had been in his head.

That would be really jarring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
Haha, that would actually be an interesting concept IMO. Definitely not worth exploring in the conclusion of a trilogy though.
Something like this?:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #128
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

I loved TDKR, it was far from perfect as a movie but as i was looking at the nominees it hit me. Why comic book movies aren't nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay ?

not just TDKR but also the (overrated) Avengers. as an adaptation the avengers kicked all sorts of ass, so did TDKR (not as much as TDK but still it is a great adaptation inspired by Knightfall, No Man's Land and a tad of TDKReturns)

i was pissed that it didn't get nominated for anything. but im not surprised Nolan didnt win for Inception nor TDK why to win for a less good film.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #129
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
This is getting rather tired. I am sure everyone involved would happily acknowledge that two scenes from "Skyfall" were influenced by TDK. TDK was a great film, and was broadly influential. It was also heavily influenced by other films itself. I would see it as flattery to Nolan, Ledger and TDK.

It does not make "Skyfall" a lesser or even a less individual movie. It and TDKR did similarly great business, and though the critics marginally preferred 'Skyfall', and it has a couple of nominations that TDKR lacks, they are both broadly considered to be very good genre films.

TDKR missing out on any Oscar glory is either the Academy's fault, or Nolan's. You can't blame it on Sam Mendes et al. Personally, I am glad that Christopher Nolan is not the kind of director who would make films designed to appeal to the academy. TDK richly deserves its awards, and I have no doubt that Nolan's time will come again, but TDKR was not his strongest effort and it certainly wasn't the type of film that you would expect to rake in the Oscars.

The best way to avoid undue disappointment is to manage your expectations realistically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #130
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post

Where was Tarantinos award for "writing" back during the Inglourious Basterds days? How about this year....Did Paul Thomas Andersons DP get the nod for Best Cinematography (The Master)?? How about Wally Pfister or Hans Zimmer and their work on TDKR??

12 nominations for Lincoln. Hmm, i wonder what's about..
I did not even like that movie that much but it was GOURGEOUS.
That's one of the biggest snubs to me. And with that being ignored, I feel less of an issue with TDKR being ignored in cinematography.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #131
atomicbattery
Side-Kick

This is Barbara Vancheri, film critic for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, in today's paper. I think it sums things up pretty well:

"'The Dark Knight Rises', once floated as a possible best picture contender, was skunked. It had two strikes against it: It was about Batman, not an eloquent, noble figure such as Abraham Lincoln, and it never emerged from the shadow of the midnight showing that descended into a massacre in Colorado.
Oscar voters may have wanted to put so much distance between themselves and Christopher Nolan's third and final Dark Knight movie that they weren't even willing to nominate it in technical categories such as visual effects or sound mixing."

Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #132
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

That person is an idiot.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #133
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
Something like this?:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Yep, that's actually the work of batman11 who is a poster on these forums. His clips were actually the first thing that came to mind when thinking of this particular concept for a story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
I loved TDKR, it was far from perfect as a movie but as i was looking at the nominees it hit me. Why comic book movies aren't nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay ?

not just TDKR but also the (overrated) Avengers. as an adaptation the avengers kicked all sorts of ass, so did TDKR (not as much as TDK but still it is a great adaptation inspired by Knightfall, No Man's Land and a tad of TDKReturns)

i was pissed that it didn't get nominated for anything. but im not surprised Nolan didnt win for Inception nor TDK why to win for a less good film.
I think comic-book adaptations are not recognised because they're not really seen as a valid form of art in the mainstream media, although valid is probably not the word I'm looking for here. When they are seen as forms of art in popular media, they're usually relegated to the lowest tier of art. It's a shame really, because there are plenty of graphic novels which raise interesting and thought-provoking problems. You'd be surprised to hear how many people still believe comic-books/graphic novels are meant for kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbattery View Post
This is Barbara Vancheri, film critic for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, in today's paper. I think it sums things up pretty well:

"'The Dark Knight Rises', once floated as a possible best picture contender, was skunked. It had two strikes against it: It was about Batman, not an eloquent, noble figure such as Abraham Lincoln, and it never emerged from the shadow of the midnight showing that descended into a massacre in Colorado.
Oscar voters may have wanted to put so much distance between themselves and Christopher Nolan's third and final Dark Knight movie that they weren't even willing to nominate it in technical categories such as visual effects or sound mixing."
The bit about Batman not being noble made me chuckle.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #134
atomicbattery
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
That person is an idiot.
She had 'Rises' at number four on her top ten list for 2012.

I'm just tellin' ya.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #135
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Moderator

Nolan at the AFI AWARDS LUNCHEON:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #136
regwec
Shakespearo

Do you think Abraham Lincoln or Batman has had the bigger effect on more lives? I don't doubt the profound effect of Lincoln on the USA, but Batman must have been inspirational to so many children at their formative ages all over the world.

Alan Moore gave Prospero a brilliant soliloquy on this topic at the end of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen book.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #137
The Batman
The Dark Knight

The minute I saw "Django Unchained", I knew that TDKR would not and did not deserve to win any major awards. The more I think about it, the technical snubs are not that surprising either.

All in all, this is just another sign of TDKR generally failing to live up to the standard set by TDK, as enjoyable as TDKR is.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #138
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
LMAO at all the butthurt in this thread. Yes, blame "politics" and not the quality of the film.
"Quality" has very little to do with Oscar nominations. And yes, it's insulting that it was passed over in the tech categories.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #139
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Uh-oh... Nolan's growing that bad-ass beard back.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #140
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

A bearded Nolan is the best kind of Nolan.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #141
childeroland
Side-Kick

Quote:
Do you think Abraham Lincoln or Batman has had the bigger effect on more lives? I don't doubt the profound effect of Lincoln on the USA, but Batman must have been inspirational to so many children at their formative ages all over the world.
Well, considering that if it wasn't for Lincoln, I might have been born a slave and that his international influence inspired the Norwegians during the Nazi occupation, the Albanians during their fight against the Ottomans (I think) and God knows how many other examples, IMO, Lincoln has probably effected more lives.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #142
regwec
Shakespearo

I am not sure he has, overall. He is evidently important in an American context, but appears to have modest influence beyond. In truth, it is only ever the idea of a historical person that is so influential, just as fictional people as ideas can have a huge influence.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #143
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Moderator

I think Anne was the only one there from the TDKR cast (since she was there for Les Mis too):

Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #144
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
I think Anne was the only one there from the TDKR cast (since she was there for Les Mis too):

Oh what did Anne win at the AFI?

- The Joker
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #145
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Moderator

No, nothing. They give that to the cast of their Top 10 Films of the year. Both Les Miserables and TDKR were in the Top 10. Nolan is there too but it looks like she's the only one from the TDKR cast that was there.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #146
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:

Alan Moore gave Prospero a brilliant soliloquy on this topic at the end of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen book.
Well, if it wasn't for him we would have the vampires as our overlords by now.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #147
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

So does she get to keep them to hang on her wall?

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #148
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

She looks so proud of herself, almost giddy.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #149
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Moderator

Anne always looks giddy. She and JGL are like counterparts of each other when it comes to excitement over things.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #150
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
A bearded Nolan is the best kind of Nolan.
This.

Also, that's a lovely pic of Anne.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Closed Thread