Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #176
atomicbattery
Side-Kick

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
This is getting kind of ridiculous. Though the conspiracy theories are kind of entertaining.

The reasons TRANSFORMERS has its nominations are obvious, and fairly well deserved.

IRON MAN 2 was nominated for visual effects, and probably deserved to be.

BATMAN FOREVER deserved its nominations at the time as well.

But in what sense did THE DARK KNIGHT RISES deserve a nomination for impressive visual effects this year compared to several other films that were nominated?

The only real shot THE DARK KNIGHT RISES had was cinematography and maybe sound editing/mixing, and it was released in a year with some serious competition.

At some point people are just going to have to realize that it was a year of some great film achievments, and while TDKR was a good film, and even a great film in places, it was not neccessarily among the best of the best in specific categories.
Well, just off the top of my head, both 'The Avengers' and 'The Dark Knight Rises' featured a fantastic flying thingy, the Helicarrier and the Bat.
And there is not a moment where the senses are convinced that the Helicarrier is anything other than a CG cartoon. Add all the motion blur and camera shake ya want- it's a cartoon, and there is no sense of danger or reality while watching that attack.
When the Bat comes flying out of that alley and into the sky, it feels completely and utterly real. A practical rig to a CG model, no seems showing (Where's the transition? Was there a transition?), there's an absolute jaw-dropping reality to that scene, and the rest of the film as well. The brilliance of the effects shots in TDKR is that you're not even aware that the great majority are effects shots. As opposed to all the other nominees, which are very much announcing themselves- and often unconvincingly- in your face.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #177
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Once again - The BAFTA's got the visual effects nominees right.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #178
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, that neon infused, CG bolstered cinematography was absolutely spell-binding.
I doubt it was about the neon. By today's standards, no, its not all that impressive technically speaking. At the time, a lot of the effects, makeup, etc, were considered groundbreaking, or impressive enough to warrant their Oscar nominations.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 01-12-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #179
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, just off the top of my head, both 'The Avengers' and 'The Dark Knight Rises' featured a fantastic flying thingy, the Helicarrier and the Bat.
And there is not a moment where the senses are convinced that the Helicarrier is anything other than a CG cartoon. Add all the motion blur and camera shake ya want- it's a cartoon, and there is no sense of danger or reality while watching that attack.
There's arguably not really all that much of sense of danger or reality in the final battle in THE DARK KNIGHT RISES either, and they used real people and quite a few practical effects. You're confusing the film's overall tone and story execution and the nature of the visual effects themselves.

Quote:
When the Bat comes flying out of that alley and into the sky, it feels completely and utterly real. A practical rig to a CG model, no seems showing (Where's the transition? Was there a transition?), there's an absolute jaw-dropping reality to that scene, and the rest of the film as well. The brilliance of the effects shots in TDKR is that you're not even aware that the great majority are effects shots. As opposed to all the other nominees, which are very much announcing themselves- and often unconvincingly- in your face.
The jaw dropping reality of the police not following the man they're chasing once he turns into the alley and being surprised that the man half the police force is chasing suddenly has a large flying vehicle?

I kid.

This means exactly this: that they're good effects. It doesn't mean they're the best out there, or anything particularly groundbreaking, impressive, etc.

THE AVENGERS featured a lot more than a big flying thingy. It had quite a few of them. It also featured numerous superpowers, etc, etc, etc.

And if I'm right

Last edited by The Guard; 01-12-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #180
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
At some point people are just going to have to realize that it was a year of some great film achievments, and while TDKR was a good film, and even a great film in places, it was not neccessarily among the best of the best in specific categories.
You dont seem to understand what's a personal...opinion. It's exactly that. Personal. An epiphany isn't going to happen . Much less that realization will come from the friggin oscars. Why is such a simple concept as an opinion difficult to understand ?

People have to realize...lol. The condescending tone of some users in this board is funny to say the least.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #181
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #182
atomicbattery
Side-Kick

Quote:
THE AVENGERS featured a lot more than a big flying thingy.
Um, yeah, I know.
I was making a comparison/contrast between an approach to a similar effects challenge to the visual artists of a nominated and un-nominated film. In my opinion, the designers on the un-nominated film were vastly more successful in their results to said similar effects challenge than the designers on the nominated film.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #183
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
You dont seem to understand what's a personal...opinion. It's exactly that. Personal. An epiphany isn't going to happen . Much less that realization will come from the friggin oscars. Why is such a simple concept as an opinion difficult to understand ?
Its not...I never said anyone couldn't have an opinion. Why do you feel the need to give me a lecture about opinions for stating my opinion?

And if I'm right
Old 01-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #184
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Interesting that neither Skyfall or Rises were nominated for best visual effects. The common link? The mega talented Chris Corbould was a special effects supervisor for both. It is very likely that his votes were split between the two films enough that neither made the cut.
I dont know a lot about the process , who votes for these categories ? Everyone or just the guys who work in effects ?

I read your comment , saw the list and its kinda baffling that the nominees are a cgi-fest. Are these guys protecting themselves (the digital effects industry) ? Or is the voting general ?

Quote:
Its not...I never said anyone couldn't have an opinion. Why do you feel the need to give me a lecture about opinions for stating my opinion?
You were the one that said that people will have to realize the movie was not among the best of the best. People dont have to realize anything. Some like it. Other's dont. That's it.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #185
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
I dont know a lot about the process , who votes for these categories ? Everyone or just the guys who work in effects ?

I read your comment , saw the list and its kinda baffling that the nominees are a cgi-fest. Are these guys protecting themselves (the digital effects industry) ? Or is the voting general ?
As far as i know, everybody votes for best picture, but only editors vote for editors, cinematographers for cinematographers, sound mixers for sound, and vfx supervisors for visual effects etc.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #186
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
As far as i know, everybody votes for best picture, but only editors vote for editors, cinematographers for cinematographers, sound mixers for sound, and vfx supervisors for visual effects etc.
Really ? I didnk know that. That puts things in perspective (not anything in particular , but trends that happens.)

Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #187
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Remember when this fantastic film failed to receive any Oscar nominations?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443706/

Now, before somebody gets their shorts in a bunch I'm not comparing it's quality to Rises (personally, I think that this particular movie is one of the best American films of the 00's) I'm simply illustrating how absurd the Oscars are.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #188
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

That also highlights how absurd your persistent whining is getting regarding TDKR receiving no technical noms. Zodiac DESERVED a vfx nom too, even more than TDKR. It also deserved a cinematography nom and sound mixing/editing noms. The complete snub of Fincher's masterpiece puts TDKR into perspective: there were worse crimes regarding Oscar neglect.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #189
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Quote:
That also highlights how absurd your persistent whining is getting regarding TDKR receiving no technical noms. Zodiac DESERVED a vfx nom too, even more than TDKR. It also deserved a cinematography nom and sound mixing/editing noms. The complete snub of Fincher's masterpiece puts TDKR into perspective: there were worse crimes regarding Oscar neglect.

And everything else you said shouldn't even have to be stated. Why people continue to put stock in what the Academy thinks I'll never understand. Regardless what one thinks of Rises, quality simply doesn't come into the equation. It's how much ass you can kiss, how much positive press you can garner etc.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #190
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why people continue to put stock in what the Academy thinks I'll never understand
I don't understand why you continue to talk about it then. I actually agreed with you in the beginning, but now you are sounding like a broken record. Let it go.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #191
Dark Knight
Banned User

I get a kick out the defenders of the Academy within a superhero comic genre movie website.

Yeah, the Academy is NEVER wrong are they? They just ALWAYS get it right don't they? Politics never come into play within the Academy and it's voting members and they are NOT hypocrites are they?

Hilarious.

Last edited by Dark Knight; 01-13-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 AM   #192
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't understand why you continue to talk about it then.
Because we're only two days removed from another round of inexplicable Oscar announcements and this is a thread called "TDKR Oscar Chances" in a "The Dark Knight Rises" forum.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #193
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I get a kick out the defenders of the Academy within a superhero comic genre movie website.

Yeah, the Academy is NEVER wrong are they? They just ALWAYS get it right don't they? Politics never come into play within the Academy and it's voting members and they are NOT hypocrites are they?

Hilarious.
Nobody has said anything of the sort. Some of us feel that, despite the erratic and often illogical outcomes at the Oscars, TDKR just wasn't strong enough to justify (m)any nominations this year.

It is quite possible to believe that TDK should have cleaned up, while TDKR deserved nothing.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #194
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I would just like to add that there was a lot of competition this year, still TDKR should have received some nominations (not awards) in the technical categories like VFX, sound mixing, cinematography.

But, I am OK with no nominations, no awards. At least, TDKR has got a BAFTA nomination for visual effects.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #195
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post

Hilarious.
Personally, its not so much defending The Academy as it is acknowledging their history.
Sometimes, they ignore movies entirely with no nominations.
They ignore popular movies that are box office successes.
They ignore critically acclaimed movies.
And yes , they ignore movies that many people consider to be GREAT.
This isnt the first time that this has happened and it wont be the last.

Last edited by Mysteryman; 01-13-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #196
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
But, I am OK with no nominations, no awards. At least, TDKR has got a BAFTA nomination for visual effects.

That's not surprising considering how European the visual style is.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #197
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

Hah, Argo wins Best Picture (Drama) at the Golden Globes. What the hell is wrong with the awards circuit this year?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #198
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Hah, Argo wins Best Picture (Drama) at the Golden Globes. What the hell is wrong with the awards circuit this year?
I guess they didn't base their decision on the Batforums at SHH....but rather upon their opinions and feelings.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #199
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Whats wrong with Argo winning ?
It wasnt a bad movie at all.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #200
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

"It wasn't a bad movie at all" is hardly glowing praise. It's a spectacular story told in a rather unspectacular and banal fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I guess they didn't base their decision on the Batforums at SHH....but rather upon their opinions and feelings.
My opinion on Argo winning has nothing to do with Batman dear administrator.

Closed Thread