The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #276
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
He's only crap because of what we saw in Spider-Man 3, and if we go by not using villains that ended up being crap in a Spidey film, then I'd include Sandman and Lizard to that list, lol.
Venom has PLENTY of crappy comic stories to cement him as a poor character. Starting with his early comics where he has the worst motivation for hating Spider-Man.

- The Joker
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #277
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

"You exposed my fake news story, I hate you" lol

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #278
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

He didn't even do that lol. All Spidey did was catch a serial killer. He didn't know Brock from Adam, and wasn't an obstacle in stopping him from writing a proper news story. Brock screwed up.

At least in SM-3 Peter did directly expose Brock's fraud causing him to lose his job, and then takes the girl Brock is obsessed with out on a date.

- The Joker
Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #279
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

It's been a while since i've read any venom, so excuse the ignorance.

But yeah, at least SM3 had actual reasons for Brock hating Peter.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #280
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I was never a fan of Venom, not even in the 90's Cartoon. I think his best story was the reveal, but when they brought it back with Carnage, it got a little weird because they were trying to make Eddie seem to be a victim.

But I've said it numerous times before, I really liked SM3's version of Eddie. I liked the similarities yet differences with Peter, and it was a nice play with him "dating" Gwen. Although that would have never worked in the comics with her being dead. But for the film, it was nice because it gave him more motivation to hate Peter.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #281
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I loved, adored Venom and Spidey's black suit in the 90s. I loved everything symbiote. Maybe there was just a over-saturation and I got burned out on it?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #282
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I loved, adored Venom and Spidey's black suit in the 90s. I loved everything symbiote. Maybe there was just a over-saturation and I got burned out on it?
Yeah, that's what I mean. The whole arc with the Symbiote that created the black costume, and then when it moved on to Eddie was awesome. But after that, I agree, it was used too much because it was highly demanded and it just lost its magic.

And I must admit, my favorite sense that still gives me goosebumps is when Peter looks at the Red/Blue costume after he finds out MJ was kidnapped by Venom. They really got that moment right.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #283
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

I'll even admit that over the years Venom has been a poorly written character,especially in the comics. You guys are right. His motivations for hating Peter are really paper thin. I loved McFarlene's version of him and thought he had some cool appearances,but once the 90's hit Marvel rode the Venom train for all it's worth. He became so popular and he was everywhere,and story or motivation with the character became non existent. It was all about flash and style with Venom. In fact,whenever I read a Spidey comic with Venom from any point in the 90's,you can easily tell he's just there to sell comics. He had no plan or anything. Venom would appear and threaten Spider-man,they would fight for an issue or two and then he would lose or go to jail or whatever and nothing would come of it. Then,a few months later when Marvel felt they needed to boast their sales,he would appear again and repeat the same actions. Why did no one there ever come up with a good storyline for him or even a plan?! Have Venom kill Mary Jane or Aunt May or even Spidey himself! Just give him something to do besides appear and then get beat by Spidey. But,as I've said,Venom in the 90's was nothing more than a cash cow for Marvel. And don't get me started on Carnage.

But the thing is,and I guess this may be just me,but I see alot of potential in Venom and the symbiote. I absolutely love and adore Venom and it's more than just because of how cool he looks. I mean,just look at how cool,original and interesting the whole Venom/symbiote story is! I also love trying to explore the person Eddie is and how "damaged" he is inside and how the symbiote fed off that. There's alot of cool stories and such that can come from it and I think in recent years attempts have been made to flesh out Venom. I look at the SSM cartoon as a prime example. That was the best version of Venom I've seen,as far as motive goes. Making him Peter's best friends was genius and really made it personal between the two when Brock did finally get the symbiote. And I think Spider-man 3 did some good things too. The only problem is they had too much going on in the film to explore Brock and what type of person he is,and how much of a great villain Venom is.
I realize that not everyone will like him and view him in the way I view the character,but my point is that he's alot deeper and more interesting a character than what writers and such have done with him. And that's a shame.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #284
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
There's way past over-saturation. Way past it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I was never a fan of Venom, not even in the 90's Cartoon. I think his best story was the reveal, but when they brought it back with Carnage, it got a little weird because they were trying to make Eddie seem to be a victim.

But I've said it numerous times before, I really liked SM3's version of Eddie. I liked the similarities yet differences with Peter, and it was a nice play with him "dating" Gwen. Although that would have never worked in the comics with her being dead. But for the film, it was nice because it gave him more motivation to hate Peter.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #285
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom75 View Post
But the thing is,and I guess this may be just me,but I see alot of potential in Venom and the symbiote..
Well...yeah. Every character has potential. It's wether or not said character would live up to that potential. Now, if someone were to (I'm about to use the N word here) pull a Nolan, like how he did with Bane, and adapt properly, giving us something fresh and exciting, while in some way honoring the comic book roots, that'd be great! I just don't see it happening.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #286
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Well...yeah. Every character has potential. It's wether or not said character would live up to that potential. Now, if someone were to (I'm about to use the N word here) pull a Nolan, like how he did with Bane, and adapt properly, giving us something fresh and exciting, while in some way honoring the comic book roots, that'd be great! I just don't see it happening.
Yeah,but I just got the vibe from alot here that he had no potential and was just a throwaway character. I'd hope someone would come along and "Nolan" up Venom ,but I don't see it happening anytime soon either,at least on screen(which is what I'd like the most). I don't have a good feeling he'll be in Webb's films and from what I've heard the solo film is dead.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #287
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I think back to Venom's appearance in the 90's cartoon, and I remember in the second episode, Eddie was practically stalking Peter and MJ, and I kind of wish they had done that with Harry in SM3. I really wish they would have pushed their rivalry a bit more before having Harry go after Peter. It would have been so cool to see a "villain" who knew Peter's secret, but used it to torment him secretly and mentally, as opposed to physically.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #288
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Turns out James Franco didn't like TASM. I liked it, but I agree with what he has to say.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...ing-spider-man

Quote:
Old 01-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #289
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Meh. He comes off as rather cocky in that video. "Oh good for him."

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #290
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Franco always come off as cocky...

Maguire and Dunst are much more gracious.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #291
Picard Sisko

True. Tobey seemed very excited for the new movie. Has more humility I guess.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #292
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I don't know. I would consider Tobey's as being more professional about it. When you were the star of three big, high budget and paying movies, and were set to do at least two more films, you don't suddenly get excited when you not only lose that job, but also have to see someone else step into a similar role or character just a few years later.

Tobey simply went the professional route, which is you accept it for what it is and don't bash it because Hollywood is a business, and you don't want to risk pissing off someone you might work with later on down the road. Franco, on the other hand, doesn't really care. He's does come off as a bit cocky and a "hater", but I can appreciate him being real.

Last edited by SpideyVille; 01-30-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #293
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

I wouldn't say cocky...I mean, to be fair, he has a point. TASM took one too many points from Raimi's book for me. I still enjoy it, however.

Quote:
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #294
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Turns out James Franco didn't like TASM. I liked it, but I agree with what he has to say.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/...ing-spider-man
Franco is awesome.

And I agree with him.

And heck, when you're one of the best things about the trilogy, I think you have the right to sound cocky.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #295
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

What Franco said was very true, and I agree with him.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #296
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

I kinda think that while Tobey was grateful to be in the films and while there was a part of him that misses interacting with Sam,Kirsten;etc,I also think that in a way he's glad there was no 4th one and that he was done with the series. I don't think he ever liked getting in shape for the movies and he seemed a bit tired of the role. As for Kirsten,well,I don't think she cared for the films after 2 came out. She always seemed to be badmouthing the series and I'm sure that when Raimi's turn with Spidey ended she was generally happy about it.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #297
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Yeah. I still have a EW article where she admits she wouldnt there's not much in stock for (what would have been in 2007) a SM4. She wanted to have spider babies? wtf?

Quote:
Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #298
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^It wouldnt surprise me if Tobey and Kirsten got a bit fed up of Sony meddling in the movies, mostly after SM3. I know they agreed to come back for SM4, but by SM3 it seemed they werent trying as hard anymore, maybe its because Sony/Arad were trying to make the movies more commercial than Raimi, Tobey, Kirsten and James, etc wanted them.

Cant believe Tobey didnt want to get in shape for them though, that should be a minimal requirement, especially for the main actor in the franchise. Anyway, still love the trilogy as a whole, and always will.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #299
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

The thing about Tobey's shape was that after getting hurt in Seabiscuit, which was right before he did SM2, he had back problems that made it harder for him to get into the physical stuff for the character. I don't think it was a case of him not wanting to do it, but more that it was taking a physical toll, which was part of the reason why they were planning to shoot 4 and 5 together, since he was already becoming too old for the part.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #300
Picard Sisko

He was almost replaced by Jake Gylenhaal as well.

Closed Thread