The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #301
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

I'm so glad that didn't happen.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #302
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

Same. Though, I think Jake is probably as close as you'd get to getting the perfect replacement for Tobey Maguire.

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/...hers_super.jpg

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #303
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I doubt Spider-Man 2 would be as acclaimed as it is if Tobey had been recast.

- The Joker
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #304
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

It's possible..I mean, it is hard for me to see Gyllenhall as Spidey, but he is a great actor. Either way, I'm glad it didn't happen.

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #305
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I doubt Spider-Man 2 would be as acclaimed as it is if Tobey had been recast.
Agreed.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #306
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

I'm sure Dunst was really tired of playing the damsel in distress in every movie. All she did was get captured and scream. I kinda get the feeling from her that she was excited to do the first one because it was a huge movie and it would get her exposure. But by the time part 2 starting filming she was probably tired of it already and when part 3 came out you could tell she was sick of the whole thing.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007

Never Forget 9/11/01
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #307
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Plus her character was becoming less likeable. She was whiny, needy, ungrateful and if you look at the trilogy as a whole, she's kind of a tramp.
The Peter/MJ dynamic (as depicted in the movies) is kind of typical of what happens when the nerd gets with the popular girl. He's fantasized about her all this time and when he gets her, she doesn't turn out to be what he hoped for at all. She's tired of the jocks breaking her heart and decides to give the nice guy a shot. And he becomes the target of all her suppressed rage and pain. Nothing he ever does is good enough and she eventually gets bored with him. Neither is truly happy. Neither is truly in love. They're just trying to force some fairy tale ending that simply doesn't work in real life.

Last edited by Chris Wallace; 01-30-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #308
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom75 View Post
I'm sure Dunst was really tired of playing the damsel in distress in every movie. All she did was get captured and scream.
Well I think that's only really true in Spider-Man 1. Spidey has to save her at three separate times. At the unity festival, from those muggers, and then from Goblin. I mean three different events in the same movie. She really was sooooo damsel in distress in the first movie.

At least in 2 and 3 it was only the once by the villain for the finale. But by 3 it got ridiculous. At least 1 and 2's captures had some repercussions on the story. Peter rejected her love because of it at the end of 1, and 2's was really important because she learned Peter was Spidey and they got together because of it.

Gwen should have been there for 3's as originally planned. MJ was not needed there as the hostage. I know Raimi wanted it to be personal for Peter, but damn it was repetitive.

- The Joker
Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #309
Picard Sisko

At least she tried fighting Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2 (even though she failed, it was nice to see her try and do something).

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #310
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
At least she tried fighting Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2 (even though she failed, it was nice to see her try and do something).
I love that moment. The way Ock just casually swats her away like a fly. So awesome. Made me love Molina's Doc Ock even more lol. He was so bad ass that way. Like the way he handled the do-gooder train passengers on the train, too, when they tried to block him from getting Spidey.

So cool.

- The Joker
Old 01-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #311
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
That is true. I didn't really see the negative qualities I listed until the 3rd movie, even though they were there all along. She flirted with Peter and made out with Spider-Man while still involved with Harry. She declared her love for Peter when she's barely acknowledged his existence before. She got engaged to John out of spite and then left him at the altar. She is the worst girlfriend a guy could have.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #312
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I love that moment. The way Ock just casually swats her away like a fly. So awesome. Made me love Molina's Doc Ock even more lol. He was so bad ass that way. Like the way he handled the do-gooder train passengers on the train, too, when they tried to block him from getting Spidey.

So cool.
It was like Raimi was trying to take back what he did in SM1, with the people throwing things at the Green Goblin. "This is New York, you mess with one of us, you mess with ALL of us!" Here you have train passengers trying to stop Doc Ock, and he says "Very well." And then... well, you know what happens next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
That is true. I didn't really see the negative qualities I listed until the 3rd movie, even though they were there all along. She flirted with Peter and made out with Spider-Man while still involved with Harry. She declared her love for Peter when she's barely acknowledged his existence before. She got engaged to John out of spite and then left him at the altar. She is the worst girlfriend a guy could have.
I really liked MJ in SM1, that's about it. The second one... eh.. Third film... GRR!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #313
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

....Grr?

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #314
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
It was like Raimi was trying to take back what he did in SM1, with the people throwing things at the Green Goblin. "This is New York, you mess with one of us, you mess with ALL of us!" Here you have train passengers trying to stop Doc Ock, and he says "Very well." And then... well, you know what happens next.

I really liked MJ in SM1, that's about it. The second one... eh.. Third film... GRR!
I think in the first film we could chalk up her behavior to youth and insecurity. In the second Peter was acting kinda stupid and she was feeding off of that in a way. By the 3rd we're just like "Really?"

Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #315
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

She was awful in the third film I thought, I had a "discussion" about it with my Aunt and she disagreed...maybe my male mind doesn't understand?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #316
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
I think in the first film we could chalk up her behavior to youth and insecurity. In the second Peter was acting kinda stupid and she was feeding off of that in a way. By the 3rd we're just like "Really?"
I still think the problem was the writing overall. I agree, the first film she was young and insecure, hence why she started dating Harry after Flash broke up with her. Typical case of the popular girl in high school who doesn't know what to do once she hits the real world.

In SM2, I think you can make the argument that something was wrong with the way she was basically flirting with Peter, trying to make him make a move just moments before she confessed to dating someone, and later on getting engaged to the guy despite still having feelings for Peter. Again, young and naive because she needed someone to support her emotionally, possibly because of daddy issues.

But in SM3, I think the intent was clear, but the writing was not great. She just wanted Peter to understand her, which is a common problem with couples, but the fact that she openly comes out and says it is just an example of telling, not showing. As much as I hated the scene, the kiss with Harry did a better job at showing that they she was having problems with Peter because she was also jealous that he, the nerdy science geek was finding more success as Spider-Man than she was in her big acting role. There's a lot of great stuff and interesting dynamics hidden in the movie, but most of the potential it had was covered by a lot of badly executed stuff.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #317
NCBIII
Side-Kick

Has anyone else noticed the large painting of a woman sitting in a chair in the scene in SM1 where Norman talks to the Goblin in the mirror? (Wow, I said "in" a lot there). Does anybody else think it could be his wife? I watched SM1 today and noticed the painting for the first time.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #318
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBIII View Post
Has anyone else noticed the large painting of a woman sitting in a chair in the scene in SM1 where Norman talks to the Goblin in the mirror? (Wow, I said "in" a lot there). Does anybody else think it could be his wife? I watched SM1 today and noticed the painting for the first time.
You see it in SM-2 as well. It's hiding the safe where Harry has Doc Ock's tritium. Then in Spider-Man 3 it's swapped for a painting of Norman.

- The Joker
Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #319
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It would have been so cool if in S-M 3, Harry never changed the painting and it's still the woman, but Harry only sees Norman because of what the serum is doing to him. Like, if someone went to that room, say Peter, he sees the woman in the painting, but Harry sees Norman.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #320
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

That's the main problem I had with Harry in Spider-man 3. He didn't seem unstable enough to me. After he took that serum,I would've liked it if Norman haunted him all throughout the film. And at the end he would've had to overcome those demons in order to realize that Peter was indeed,his best friend. I think,in fact that there were some moments like that,but they were deleted.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007

Never Forget 9/11/01
Old 02-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #321
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I will say, one cool thing about the Raimi films was how Willem Dafoe got to make an appearance in both sequels. Sure, it would have been nice to have had more of him in Spider-Man 3, but I appreciated the effort to keep the story feeling tied together.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 02-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #322
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

I loved how the "shadow" of Norman was over the entire trilogy. Dafoe is fantastic!

Old 02-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #323
hawkeye27
Side-Kick

I loved Dafoe as the Green Goblin. He did awesome playing the double personality and the scenes between him as Osborn and than as the Goblin.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #324
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Dafoe is going to get a verbal beating from fanboys when the Green Goblin is cast for the rebooted trilogy.

Cheesy will be the word of the day.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #325
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

It's already been happening. I've seen people say his performance was "cheesy, cringeworthy'', etc; and so forth.

Closed Thread