The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #551
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

Rosemary Harris is an absolutely perfect classic comic Aunt May.
Sally Field is a better version of Ultimate Aunt May.

I love em both so much.

Free Original Music
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #552
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom75 View Post
Spider-man 2 had alot more emotional moments than 1 or 3. That's probably why it's regarded as the best. It's takes time to put those scenes in there instead of just having action and special effects dominate the film. Actually,I think all 3 films do that,but part 2 did it the best.
Yeah, SM2 is still the best comic book movie to me, for that reason. Like Avengers is a great superhero film, and TDK is a great movie about a superhero, but SM2 has both elements mixed in, and neither well done halfway. Despite Peter "quitting", there's still great Spidey action mixed in with wonderful story telling that is driven by the character. This is the film that taught me that it sucks to be a superhero, but its still cool to be the hero who does the right thing at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Aunt May giving Peter the $20 on his birthday, then getting angry when he refuses to take it, and then breaks down crying about how much she misses Uncle Ben. That scene is my favorite Peter/Aunt May scene.

Great acting from Rosemary Harris.
I decided to watch SM2 tonight, and I just saw that scene, and its true, its a really heartbreaking scene, and a very well executed one because it reminds Peter that as bad as his day was, her life was really messed up by Ben's death, yeah she never used that as an excuse to stop loving Peter and trying to do the best that she could for him.

That's kinda what I liked about how ASM was setting things up, because by the end you could see she was slowly becoming the same grey hair aunt that struggled to keep things together.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #553
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I am very pleased to hear him acknowledge that he was unhappy with S-M 3. I don't think he has said that before, or at least I don't recall.
Yeah, I don't think he has ever stated his dislike before so literally, and even though it was pretty evident from his other statements at other times, i.e. saying he had no creative control, it's nice to finally hear him flat out say it.

Have you ever watched SM3 and listened to the commentary? It's a little humorous and a bit sad to hear Raimi talking about the film. There are several times when you can hear his frustrations with everything. I can't imagine it was a pleasant experience for him to make that movie but it's very good to hear that he wanted SM4 to end on a "high note" and to make the "best SM movie." The fact that he knew he wasn't going to be able to make that happen and wasn't willing to settle for anything less than that, he respectfully bowed out. I think that shows how awesome the guy really is.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #554
Anno_Domini
Banned User

He should've said "Yah, this was ****ing stupid" during his commentary

Old 03-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #555
DX
YES! YES! YES!

Has anyone here seen Oz yet? Is it any good?

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/spiderman3 - SIGN IT.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #556
roach
I am the night

I saw it and I liked it a lot

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #557
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
"Uncle Ben died that night for being the only one who did the right thing."

Also this. And I love that it's even more true of ASM.
Possibly my favourite scene in the trilogy, its just so heartbreaking, for both Peter and Aunt May, Peter finally letting his guilt out and telling Aunt May he could have stopped Ben's death, and then Aunt May's reaction, not saying anything, just going upstairs and slamming the door, leaving Peter there.

Just so many emotions go through your head in that scene, and its brilliantly acted by both parties, its Spider-Man in motion, because Peter and May's relationship is the heart of that story, and it nearly broke down here. Amazing scene that gets me everytime.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #558
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Possibly my favourite scene in the trilogy, its just so heartbreaking, for both Peter and Aunt May, Peter finally letting his guilt out and telling Aunt May he could have stopped Ben's death, and then Aunt May's reaction, not saying anything, just going upstairs and slamming the door, leaving Peter there.

Just so many emotions go through your head in that scene, and its brilliantly acted by both parties, its Spider-Man in motion, because Peter and May's relationship is the heart of that story, and it nearly broke down here. Amazing scene that gets me everytime.
Aunt May in SM2 is just full of amazing performances...her monologue about heroes makes me tear up every time I hear it.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #559
Dragon
No Way as Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX View Post
Has anyone here seen Oz yet? Is it any good?
Saw it. Wanted to like it. Just couldn't. Great visuals. Bad script. Very bad casting.

Kung-Fu, 1972
Old 03-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #560
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Saw it. Wanted to like it. Just couldn't. Great visuals. Bad script. Very bad casting.
I heard they originally wanted Robert Downey Jr for the role of Oz.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #561
Dragon
No Way as Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I heard they originally wanted Robert Downey Jr for the role of Oz.
They needed him. Or Depp. Even Jim Carrey would've been better. They needed someone who could play a showman. Especially from that time period.
And Mila Kunis was completely wrong.

Kung-Fu, 1972
Old 03-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #562
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I don't know if I'll like it or not. Never cared for that "world" as I didn't even like Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Yah, I know, blasphemy right? Lol; just never cared for it. It could have very well been that way ever since I watched it once with my grandma right before she passed away and I've just never watched it since.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #563
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I definitely think James Franco was miscast in Oz...

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #564
Dragon
No Way as Way

I grew up watching Oz and it has a warm place in my heart. But I wasn't looking at this film nostalgically. I expected it to stand or fall on its own merits.

There's no question Franco is a talented actor. For that matter, I like Kunis as an actress. But they can't do everything and it showed in this film. I guess TPTB were so concerned about the look- and the film certainly looks great- that they forgot about the substance. Even Michelle Williams who has gotten props for her acting was kind of phoning it in.

But I was also thinking that the WWW showed what a prosthetic-masked Green Goblin could've been, although the GG mask they were testing in Spidey 1 was scarier.

Kung-Fu, 1972
Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #565
StarLord
Tech Noir.

I need to watch this trilogy again, it's been a while.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #566
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Sam Raimi on Oz and the Two Huge Films He Never Made

An enjoyable and interesting article. Raimi seems like such a down-to-earth guy.

Some of the highlights:

"I hope enough time has passed that you feel comfortable talking about Spider-Man 4, which was in preproduction and began casting but fell apart before shooting began. What happened there?
It really was the most amicable and undramatic of breakups: It was simply that we had a deadline and I couldn't get the story to work on a level that I wanted it to work. I was very unhappy with Spider-Man 3, and I wanted to make Spider-Man 4 to end on a very high note, the best Spider-Man of them all. But I couldn't get the script together in time, due to my own failings, and I said to Sony, "I don't want to make a movie that is less than great, so I think we shouldn't make this picture. Go ahead with your reboot, which you've been planning anyway." And [Sony co-chairman] Amy Pascal said, "Thank you. Thank you for not wasting the studio's money, and I appreciate your candor." So we left on the best of terms, both of us trying to do the best thing for fans, the good name of Spider-Man, and Sony Studios.

You're reviving the Oz franchise with this film; meanwhile, other filmmakers have taken on the franchises that you left behind, what with last year's Spider-Man reboot and this year's Evil Dead remake.
I didn't see the Spider-Man reboot. I know Marc Webb is a great director, and I love Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, but as much as I love those people and Amy and Laura Ziskin and Avi Arad, I just don't want to go to my girlfriend's wedding, with all due respect. I guess that means I'm a bad loser? I just love her too much! I just have to wait. It would be hard to see her with someone else Ö with all those other men!"
Glad confirmed a lot of what we suspected for a long time that Raimi-haters refused to let go. That he wanted Black Cat, not Vultress, that he wasn't happy with SM3, etc. Over the years, Raimi has taken abuse on here, and wrongfully for much of it. But, doubt it changes anything with the Raimi haters.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #567
Anno_Domini
Banned User

What Raimi-haters said he was happy with S-M 3?

And I don't know still...he says he wanted Black Cat, so it makes me think Vulture wasn't even really confirmed when that name was in the same article that mentioned Hathaway being the Vulturess.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #568
Leenie
Make Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Glad confirmed a lot of what we suspected for a long time that Raimi-haters refused to let go. That he wanted Black Cat, not Vultress, that he wasn't happy with SM3, etc. Over the years, Raimi has taken abuse on here, and wrongfully for much of it. But, doubt it changes anything with the Raimi haters.
I don't understand the Raimi hate, even if people hated Spider-Man 3. I mean, this is the guy that made the Evil Dead movies AND the first two Spider-Man movies. Whether people want to admit it or not, the first Spider-Man movie was a HUGE game-changer for comic book movies 11 years ago.

That said, I don't hate Spider-Man 3. Granted, I see it has a huge downgrade in comparison to the first two Spider-Man movies, but I think there are much worse comic book movies out there, and I certainly enjoy it more than The Amazing Spider-Man (which I'm apparently not supposed to say 'round these parts, haha).

Anyway, I don't even remember how The Vultress rumors started. They were ridiculous, that's all I can say. Did people start that rumor JUST to throw some shade at Raimi?

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Guardians Of The Galaxy, (8) Kick-Ass,
(9) Batman (89)
(10) Captain America: The First Avenger
Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #569
Anno_Domini
Banned User

The rumor started when a confirmation popped up with Hathaway and Malkovich being cast. But, when thinking back, I can't even believe Malkovich was going to play Vulture even if the Vulturess wasn't true. If they got Vulturess wrong, then who's to say Malkovich wouldn't be someone else as well?

Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #570
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I'm sure Malkovich confirmed that he was cast as Vulture.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #571
Dragon
No Way as Way

It's not really that complex. There were certain characters that Raimi historically wanted in the series. Vulture (We know he wanted Vulture since Spidey 3) Black Cat and Lizard both of whom were considered since Spidey 2. If Venom, a character he was vocal about NOT wanting to use weren't forced down his throat, Raimi would've produced the series he wanted.

Kung-Fu, 1972
Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #572
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Malckovich confirmed he was going to play the Vulture. I think..then a day or two later, the reboot was announced.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #573
Vid Electricz
Banned User

The Vultress rumours, in my opinion, were just that. Rumours. These things happen with every film. Unconfirmed grumblings and rumours are put out there and then are somehow accepted as fact by those looking for material to use against the director (Raimi in this case). It's the same thing about the ridiculous rumours around 2010 that TASM would have had Peter Parker finding a stash of cold case files in the attic and the series would revolve around him solving them. Just garbage.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #574
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

I mean..to be fair...he did find a briefcase in the basement...and is still solving the mystery of his parents death...

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #575
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I need to go to a alternate dimension so I can watch Spider-Man 4 and take some pics then come back and show everyone...