The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #701
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
Both of those could have been handled better with less villain material. I don't consider either to be irreparable.

The Ben retcon is jarring but I can understand why Raimi wanted to go there. It's a stronger connection between Harry and Peter as people distorted by a desire to avenge their fathers. Peter gains the strength to forgive the man who wronged him after being forgiven himself.
Both could have definitely been handled better, as I said Raimi could have handled it better, but they are still viewed as Raimi's mistakes, not Arad's.

And the Sandman retcon, however you want to tell it to give it some sense will always bug me. It would be perfectly fine to let Peter already have beaten his "first villain" with Ben's killer.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #702
roach
I am the night

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Although I really enjoy Spider-Man 3 and find the overwhelming hate a bit unnecessary, I still maintain that it didn't need to be split into two parts. All you had to do was either eliminate a character (Sandman, but use him in a future installment.), or make all the stories tie into each other, ala Batman Begins. Yeah, I would have rather not had Venom forced upon us, but I actually like Raimi's Venom, as opposed to the comics.
the weird thing for me is I saw it at a midnight showing and the audience seemed to respond to it like they liked it...I was stunned to wake up the next day and discover it was hated

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #703
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Both could have definitely been handled better, as I said Raimi could have handled it better, but they are still viewed as Raimi's mistakes, not Arad's.

And the Sandman retcon, however you want to tell it to give it some sense will always bug me. It would be perfectly fine to let Peter already have beaten his "first villain" with Ben's killer.
That's what bothers me the most about the Sandman thing, which is that it cheapens everything that happened in the first film. Peter essentially went after the wrong guy and lead to the death of the wrong guy. It makes him look completely bad, without actually addressing that issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
the weird thing for me is I saw it at a midnight showing and the audience seemed to respond to it like they liked it...I was stunned to wake up the next day and discover it was hated
Yeah, I saw the midnight show as well, and I remember loving it. I even went to school the next day and told all my friends that it was the best Spidey movie ever. I even went to the theater with them later that day and saw it. Some of them didn't like it, but I still had the impression that it was great.

I think sometimes, you just get a better read of a film the more time that passes after you watch it. Like I loved Superman Returns when I first saw it, but now I can see how bad it was, especially since I've gotten more into the character since. But overall, personally, I've never been the type of person to be critical about something right away. I never nitpick while I'm watching a movie for the first time.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #704
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Yeah, same happened to me. I remember seeing again for a third time late in its theatrical run, and the theater was still packed.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #705
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

There is only one thing I don't like in the first Spider-Man movie, the meeting of the Oscorp board of directors:
Norman is happy, the company is at its best in a while, and the fools he was thrilled to tell that to them said it was an even more good reason to sell the company to Quest

Not specialized in business, but I'm pretty sure it's usually the other way around, the stronger company buys the one falling, and the one falling does other things to raise their revenues and not buy other companies

Old 04-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #706
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
There is only one thing I don't like in the first Spider-Man movie, the meeting of the Oscorp board of directors:
Norman is happy, the company is at its best in a while, and the fools he was thrilled to tell that to them said it was an even more good reason to sell the company to Quest

Not specialized in business, but I'm pretty sure it's usually the other way around, the stronger company buys the one falling, and the one falling does other things to raise their revenues and not buy other companies
Yeah, it seemed to make sense in the movie, but its never really explained why. They just said that Quest was rebuilding after the bombing, and in doing so, they decided to buy Oscorp. And now that I think about it, Norman killed them before they could announce the sale, but I'd imagine that they wouldn't be announcing it unless the deal was already done, so why didn't Quest intervene, unless it was more of a verbal agreement?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #707
Leenie
Make Up!

Quote:
Same thing happened to me when I saw it at midnight. The movie theater was packed, and the audience was very receptive throughout the entire film. Even during the Beatnik!Peter (he's NOT an emo, people! I maintain that he's a beatnik ) stuff, the audience laughed in a positive way. When the movie ended, and the credits started rolling, the audience applauded pretty enthusiastically.

When I walked out of the theater that night, I thought to myself, "I liked it, but it has its problems and it's definitely the worst of the three." I was kind of surprised when I saw Facebook explode the next day with the vitriol people had for the movie, though. I remember being in a Facebook group called "Spider-Man 3 is going to be awesome!" in anticipation for the film's release. The morning after seeing it at midnight, the group's profile picture was photoshopped with the words "It sucked!" or something like that.

One thing I'll never forget when I saw Spider-Man 3 though: The way the audience reacted to Peter and New Goblin's fight. When Aunt May's ring went loose, I remember the audience almost shouting "OH NO! THE RING!" I think that really shows how good Raimi was with the first two Spider-Man movies. He made characters that people were really invested in.

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Guardians Of The Galaxy, (8) Kick-Ass,
(9) Batman (89)
(10) Captain America: The First Avenger
Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #708
Anno_Domini
Banned User

The one time I saw Spider-Man 3 at the theatre was the midnight showing as well and it was packed, but the film ended and nothing great happened. No clapping at the end of the film, not really anything. Just a few gasps on the better moments of the film such as the Harry/Peter fights, or the creation of Sandman or the death of Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
That's what bothers me the most about the Sandman thing, which is that it cheapens everything that happened in the first film. Peter essentially went after the wrong guy and lead to the death of the wrong guy. It makes him look completely bad, without actually addressing that issue.
Agreed. It takes away Peter going after the killer and makes Peter more like one of the bad guys because he killed someone innocent as much as Flint killed Ben who was just this innocent and harmless old man.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #709
roach
I am the night

Quote:

Big Companies buy smaller ones all the time.....Disney just bought Lucasfilm. Seems to me that Quest made and offer and the board was going to become filthy rich off of the deal.
The other thing is Norman also went and blew up the Quest test and probably killed their board too.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #710
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Big Companies buy smaller ones all the time.....Disney just bought Lucasfilm. Seems to me that Quest made and offer and the board was going to become filthy rich off of the deal.
The other thing is Norman also went and blew up the Quest test and probably killed their board too.
That's just the thing, they never really specified how big either company was. They said that Quest made an offer they couldn't refuse, which implies they were rich, but it almost seems like Quest only did that because of the Goblin's attack, which makes it ironic how in an attempt to protect his company, Norman actually hurt it in that sense.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #711
Victarion
Cut

I also felt Sandman being Ben's killer was a disservice to what had come before. The way Sam connected Peter and Sandman had too many hoops to jump through. However, I would have been cool with Flint Marko being the leader of the street gang Ben's killer belonged to. How would a subplot about Ben's past, and maybe some dealings he had with the gang that cause Peter to doubt his uncle (like how Harry found out Dumbledore was pals with Grindelwald and pursued a wizard-supremacy agenda over the muggles in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows).

The subplot about Norman losing OsCorp should've been stretched out over the film.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #712
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Didn't the video game of the '02 film have Uncle Ben's killer a part of some gang? That was the only interesting part in the entire game, imo. I wouldn't have mind to see that idea at all. Maybe Peter learns that the killer was part of this gang and the leader, Flint Marko, has escaped. AND...I'd prefer that while taking out the whole sick daughter crap since that never even got some screen time or a conclusion at all.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #713
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Didn't the video game of the '02 film have Uncle Ben's killer a part of some gang? That was the only interesting part in the entire game, imo. I wouldn't have mind to see that idea at all. Maybe Peter learns that the killer was part of this gang and the leader, Flint Marko, has escaped. AND...I'd prefer that while taking out the whole sick daughter crap since that never even got some screen time or a conclusion at all.
He was; I think they were called The Skulls.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #714
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

For me, I prefer if he's just some "punk with a gun". It just increases the guilt factor for me that it was some random guy. This is the same reason I didn't need to know that he was "Dennis Carradine".

Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #715
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanJLA!~ View Post
For me, I prefer if he's just some "punk with a gun". It just increases the guilt factor for me that it was some random guy. This is the same reason I didn't need to know that he was "Dennis Carradine".
I agree. The whole Sandman being the killer thing was just a bad idea from day 1.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #716
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
As SpideyVille said, we don't really know how big each company is

Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #717
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I agree. The whole Sandman being the killer thing was just a bad idea from day 1.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #718
roach
I am the night

Quote:
As SpideyVille said, we don't really know how big each company is
based on the fact that one offered to buy the other we can infer the size of each company...seldom do small companies buy bigger companies

Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #719
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
based on the fact that one offered to buy the other we can infer the size of each company...seldom do small companies buy bigger companies
For some reason, I always got the impression that they were of equal sizes since they were competitors. If Quest was that much bigger than Oscorp that they could buy it, then why wouldn't the contracts have been given to them in the first place?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #720
NCBIII
Side-Kick

http://planethenderson.tumblr.com/po...6-spider-man-4

More concept art for SM4. Another poster posted it in a TASM2 forum, and I feel like it belongs in here.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #721
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

As bad as SM3 was (and I really dislike the movie apart from Franco's performance), I really would have liked to see a SM4 in Raimi-verse. I hope we eventually find out even more about what could have been.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #722
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
As bad as SM3 was (and I really dislike the movie apart from Franco's performance), I really would have liked to see a SM4 in Raimi-verse. I hope we eventually find out even more about what could have been.
I've said this before,but I like Spider-man 3. I do,however,see the flaws. And I realize most don't like it but that's why I wanted a Spider-man 4. Raimi and co. would've had a chance to redeem themselves. And I believe they would've made Spidey 4 awesome.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007
Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #723
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I have no idea what is going on in those boards tbh, but the loss of SM4 will always hurt me.

ASM was a kick in the teeth as it was, but watching the film I felt especially saddened because the Gwen/Captain Stacy/Lizard material would have all been perfect in a following Raimi movie.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #724
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Spider-Man 4 was the reason I came here.

I wanted a Spidey 4,5, and 6!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #725
DX
YES! YES! YES!

I'm off work for the next couple of days. Might give this trilogy another watch this week.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/spiderman3 - SIGN IT.
Closed Thread