The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Hordakfan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Santa Ana California
Posts: 461
Default Steel appreciation

One of my favorite DC characters since i first saw him after Superman's death and one of the coolest characters in that universe.

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
SlamAdams
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,608
Default Re: Steel appreciation

I liked him during 52

This might be too controversial, but he still just kind of seems like the black version of a popular white character because there wasnt enough black superheroes on the market.

SlamAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
redhawk23
Wrestlin'
 
redhawk23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Kemet
Posts: 13,709
Default Re: Steel appreciation

I think his appearances in the new 52 have done quite a bit to make him his own character. His role in the Rotworld storyline is really interesting as he's willing save his brain to a harddrive and give up the remaining biological aspects of himself to avoid getting taken over by the rot.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
On my planet, the S stands for Sears.
redhawk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Hordakfan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Santa Ana California
Posts: 461
Default Re: Steel appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamAdams View Post
I liked him during 52

This might be too controversial, but he still just kind of seems like the black version of a popular white character because there wasnt enough black superheroes on the market.
Do you think he's DC's black answer to Iron Man? and that John Henry Irons is similar to Tony Stark?

I think Iron Man is what DC had in mind when they wanted to do their own version of that character. In fact in a cameo with both characters as a team in that crossover event in 1996 they even fought in the DC vs. Marvel crossover card series that year which was a logical fight.

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
SlamAdams
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,608
Default Re: Steel appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordakfan View Post
Do you think he's DC's black answer to Iron Man? and that John Henry Irons is similar to Tony Stark?

I think Iron Man is what DC had in mind when they wanted to do their own version of that character. In fact in a cameo with both characters as a team in that crossover event in 1996 they even fought in the DC vs. Marvel crossover card series that year which was a logical fight.
I meant black buddy of a popular white character. Superman has Steel. Captain America has Falcon. Iron Man has War Machine. They are all very passive just developed enough characters who happen to be black and had have been permanently chained to the much more prominent white character.

Although like redhawk said, his role in Rotworld has been good. Geoff Johns should put him on Justice League of America.

SlamAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
chamber-music
Hail Hydra
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 24,075
Default Re: Steel appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamAdams View Post
I meant black buddy of a popular white character. Superman has Steel. Captain America has Falcon. Iron Man has War Machine. They are all very passive just developed enough characters who happen to be black and had have been permanently chained to the much more prominent white character.
Its often been diffictult to get solo black superheroes to sell which is why they often make them a brand extension of already popular existing chracters like the ones you mention as well as Black Goliath/Giant Man, Aquaman/Aqualad (Jackson Hyde), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan/John Stewart), Spider-Man (Peter Parker/Miles Morales) Nick Fury/Marcus Fury, ect.

If comic fans were more open to brand new superheroes of colour this wouldn't happen as much. You would have more original superheroes of colour with no connections to existing heroes.

Anyway I'm fan of Steel/John Henry Irons. I used to read his solo series in the 90s. Steel is very different from Clark Kent/Superman in terms of powers, personality, background, occupation, ect.

__________________
King Of Strong Style
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
SlamAdams
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,608
Default Re: Steel appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Its often been diffictult to get solo black superheroes to sell which is why they often make them a brand extension of already popular existing chracters like the ones you mention as well as Black Goliath/Giant Man, Aquaman/Aqualad (Jackson Hyde), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan/John Stewart), Spider-Man (Peter Parker/Miles Morales) Nick Fury/Marcus Fury, ect.

If comic fans were more open to brand new superheroes of colour this wouldn't happen as much. You would have more original superheroes of colour with no connections to existing heroes.

Anyway I'm fan of Steel/John Henry Irons. I used to read his solo series in the 90s. Steel is very different from Clark Kent/Superman in terms of powers, personality, background, occupation, ect.
I understand all of this, but it is difficult to be passionate about a character when these are the cards he is dealt.

SlamAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
shiva666
art designer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 209
Default Re: Steel appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
If comic fans were more open to brand new superheroes...
You could have stopped there...

as far as steel is concerned, can you cue me in on his n52 version (powers, origin), does he still go around as supes nbr 1 fan? what does he look like now.

shiva666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.