Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #26
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

Default Re: Young Justice Cartoon - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
I wonder if Jaimie having the scarab removed will more so lead to the future Impulse is from as opposed to if he hadn't told them. Thoughts? I also think that this might be the case where the future & fates are predetermined and that no what the future will occur. However, I don't think that Jaimie was the one in the BB suit in Impulses future and that it was someone similar if not Black Beatle himself using the Blue Scarab.

Impulse just said that it was Blue Beatle and never Jaimie that turned against the team.

I also wonder when Jaimie will tell the team that he can talk to the scarab. His silence on the subject is more annoying than anything concerning Mal Duncan IMO.
That's what I said in my first comment! Impulse had something going there when he said that spilling his guts about the future could be the very cause of it. The League is going to lose their shiz over this and take some drastic action that will only complicate the whole situation.

But I'm wondering if it will really kill Jaime to remove the scarab? I mean, it probably should in the world of YJ but will the creators really let that happen? He's like the most likable new character this season. It'd really blow chunks if they did that

Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #27
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Young Justice Cartoon - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
I wonder if Jaimie having the scarab removed will more so lead to the future Impulse is from as opposed to if he hadn't told them. Thoughts? I also think that this might be the case where the future & fates are predetermined and that no what the future will occur. However, I don't think that Jaimie was the one in the BB suit in Impulses future and that it was someone similar if not Black Beatle himself using the Blue Scarab.

Impulse just said that it was Blue Beatle and never Jaimie that turned against the team.

I also wonder when Jaimie will tell the team that he can talk to the scarab. His silence on the subject is more annoying than anything concerning Mal Duncan IMO.
Time travel stories can often become self fulfilling prophecies. From what we saw in "BLOODLINES", Impulse was able to have some effect on his future (curing Neutron in the past, and this altering him in the future), although the broad strokes remained the same. It may be a matter of altering details. It is very possible that the "Blue Beetle" who betrayed humanity and enslaved Earth for the Reach is not Jaime Reyes. In the original comic, there was Peacemaker who also had dealings with the Reach and was both an adversary and ally of Jaime. If the scarab was successfully removed, one can imagine the Reach would seek to reclaim it and attach it to a more willing host.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #28
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKVULCAN View Post
was it just my imagination or did YJ do a little inside joke to " superfriends? When Static( Black Vulcan) Tim Long shadow( aka Longshadow JL ultimated, Apache chief) and the 2 others. i didnt get get a look at them were outside waiting to come in to see Black Canary? it seem like a slight wink to that!if it was it was cool!
Good eye...I didn't catch that! Virgil/Static certainly could represent Black Vulcan...Ty is absolutely Apache Chief. If cleverusername8 is correct and one of them will be El Dorado (I assume that would be the kid with the afro that was sitting to Virgil's left prior to him being summoned into his session with Canary), then the Asian kid sitting at the end clearly would be Samurai...cool! (I'm a sucker for nods/winks/easter eggs)

But, who's the bald kid sitting at the opposite end?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #29
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheAir View Post
But, who's the bald kid sitting at the opposite end?
Neutron from "Bloodlines".

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #30
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Some art...

http://jerome-k-moore.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote:
WB Animation, YOUNG JUSTICE, The Team. Pencil, Digital color.

THE STORY:

In the midst of production on Season Two of YOUNG JUSTICE (YJ: INVASION), I was handed a rush assignment for the Warner Bros Home Video DVD release of Season One, Part Two (subtitled, "Dangerous Secrets"). Alas, because our Emmy Award-winning Lead Character Designer, Phil Bourassa was overloaded, it fell to me to handle the art chores on this project, endeavoring to maintain the show's high quality standards. At every opportunity, the producers of YOUNG JUSTICE prefer that the art used by other WB departments and/or outside licensees be created or supervised by the artists on the show. Otherwise, the characters are at risk of being rendered off-model, or out of character. Unfortunately, poor quality is an all-too-common condition in the marketplace. Usually, this is due to time and budget constraints. In this case, we had decided to grind it out in-house.

So, the pressure was on me to make a good showing, even though the deadline was tight. I didn't want to let Phil down, and I enjoyed the chance to finally draw our main characters all on my own, doing my best Bourassa impersonation. Haha!
Now, originally, I was to work from the layout sketches provided by Home Video. These weren't very imaginative, just the simple, silhouetted shapes of the characters, low angle, back-lit in front of a generic city background. The silhouettes would have been easy. However, I was directed to fully render the characters so that the images could possibly be utilized again in other marketing applications.

It was a straightforward (and dull) sort of composition, so no fancy action poses were allowed. The tricky problem with the layout was the spacing. The entire hero ensemble would only fit within the required parameters if they were squashed laterally, no overlapping. Because these images needed to be reusable, I elected to render each separately, and allow them to be digitally squeezed into the required frame. On the final DVD package, the silhouette idea is virtually abandoned, which seems to imply that the clients liked the art too much to blacken out the figures after all. However, they still did alter the final art, arbitrarily, which is typical. Artemis, and Miss Martian were given toothy grins, which, at least on Artemis, looks grotesquely forced. Oh, well.
Here's a look: [link]

Anyway, as another of my exercises in Photoshop, I've colored up my own version, using a generic street photo background that I swiped off the internet (Lazy! Hahaha!). I didn't bother with fussy cast-shadows, but I like the way the photo BG helps make the artwork pop, almost in a 3-D sort of way.

I also had to create a second design for the foreign market DVD cover. Maybe I'll polish that one up as well, and post it sometime soon.

Thanks for viewing!
Cheers!

* All YOUNG JUSTICE images are the copyrighted property of Warner Bros.

Quote:
WB Animation Character Design, YOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION, Stephanie Brown. Pencil, Digital color.

Following the latest and most controversial "hiatus" imposed on the YOUNG JUSTICE series by Cartoon Network, episode 10 of the second season, "Before The Dawn" has managed to -- reach-- the public via alternate means (some less temporary than others).

"You can't stop the signal, Mal." - Mr. Universe - SERENITY (2005)

With this development, I feel that I am now free to post my design for young Miss Stephanie Brown, according to the style set by "Emmy-Lad" Bourassa. Stephanie makes her first animated appearance as one of the captives of The Reach. She is skeptical of her heroic rescuers (Batgirl, Robin, and Bumblebee), until she is provided with some uniquely superheroic credentials. Haha!

I think I may have been remembering actress Mia Sara (LEGEND, FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF) as I began sketching Stephanie's design. Although the final result doesn't really resemble the lovely actress, I think a trace of her doe-eyed beauty remains. As always, these color selections are my own, and may not reflect those used in the final aired version (or streamed, as the case may be).

Thanks for viewing! Cheers!

* Stephanie Brown and all images depicted are the copyrighted property of DC Comics, and WB Animation.

**This design post is dedicated to ~thepyve for his keen observance in watching the episode, and for making some surprising deductions.

Quote:
WB Animation Character Design, YOUNG JUSTICE, Happy Harbor High Halloween Party kids. Pencil, Digital color.

In honor of the January 5, 2013 return to the air of all-new episodes of YOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION, I am posting an old set of character designs from the Season One, never before presented, and freshly colored (yet another Photoshop exercise).

In episode 18, "Secrets," the students of Happy Harbor High chose a superhero theme for their Halloween Dance Party. Although I had a little too much fun designing costumes beyond this theme, most of the concepts made it through to the screen intact as background filler.

Here we have kids of various ethnicity, sporting store-bought or homemade outfits based on their favorite superhero. Grateful acknowledgement, as always, is made to the style set by Lead Character Designer, and Emmy Award-winner Phil Bourassa.

Thanks for viewing!

*All designs are the exclusive property of DC Comics, and WB Animation.
http://philbourassa.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote:
Young Justice is back! A lot of people have been asking for this model, so here she is.

When I sat down to design Cassie Sandsmark for YJ, I realized I had to find the right balance between cuteness and toughness. It's a miniature version of the challenge a designer faces when trying to draw Wonder Woman, who herself needs to perfectly blend the seemingly (though not actually) mutually exclusive traits of power and femininity. Anyway, this is what I came up with, actually this was my first take. It was approved.
Girl power!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Quote:
Here are some drawings I did for the cancelled Young Justice Invasion toy line. They were intended to fit around the box framing the blister pack for the 6 inch and 4 inch figures. The space around the box limited the types of figures that would fit its dimensions and thus determined the range of poses that would be suitable. I applied a little more rendering than I am normally comfortable with to accommodate the style of art that would likely please the toy company. I am usually reticent to indulge in too much rendering when depicting animated characters because regardless of skill level or execution the more subtlety in gradation and texture generally pushes the character further from being truly "on model".
There was a Superboy that I did for the box as well, but I wasn't happy with the results so I left him out here.
Also, since this was colored for print and converted to RGB for the screen some of the colors have changed a bit from the original file.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Quote:
DC Nation is back and with it the return of YOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION! To celebrate I thought I would share some Batgirl art I did a while back.
As a character designer I spend A LOT of time drawing characters in relatively static poses for the sole purpose of conveying basic information to board artists and animators, and while I certainly try to inject those drawings with as much life and vitality as I can to help convey the attitude and personality of the character, nothing quite compares to the fun of drawing the characters in action. I find it to be something of a release from the conservative discipline required to draw your basic model sheet.
Big props to Dazzlin' Dusty Abell for inking my pencil art on these.

Batgirl and Young Justice belong to WB and DC Entertainment and cannot be used without permission.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #31
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Thats the best Batgirl has looked. She looks kind of weird in the show.

WB really needs to get their own cartoon block again on a channel that isnt CN and treats their toons decently. If only CW was strong enough or FOX still had an sat. morning cartoon slot still.

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 01-14-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #32
J the Drafter
Side-Kick

Originally Posted by J the Drafter
So, the strike at Rimbor drew the attention of all these alien factions and put Earth in the galactic spotlight, but the Green Lantern Corps and the Guardians of the Universe didn't know what happened? For five whole years? Earth's propensity for developing champions is obviously considered noteworthy by the Reach and Despero, and the Justice League has two Green Lanterns as members. I guess it's possible that this incident happened in some corner of the galaxy far from Guardian influence but close to the Kroloteans and the Reach--who were able to find Earth, mind you--but it would be nice to firmly establish where the Green Lantern Corps actually sits compared to the factions interested in the metagene. You can't just say that the Green Lanterns were unaware of the League's attack and then treat it like some well-known event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet
All this was answered before. Rimbor is an outlaw planet and not covered by the Guardians of the Universe (after all, they can't really cover EVERY SINGLE AREA IN THE UNIVERSE), which made that type of info both untrustworthy, especially from criminals, and encouraged the Lanterns to stay out of a conflict that may or may not be true.
I know that Rimbor is supposed to be too far from Guardian for the Green Lantern's to have heard about it, but Nightwing is acting like the event is well-known among the galactic community. I wouldn't have minded this part if the Green Lantern Corps' place in relation to this community was established in the show, but as it stands I'm being forced to accept that the Justice League's attack on Rimbor was well known to the galaxy and--simultaneously--that it was too far away from Guadian space.

Quote:
All in good time.
If I don't know who his audience is, how can I appreciate the significance of what he's doing? The majority of people could hit the mute button whenever Godfrey appears on TV, or they could set up their DVR's to record each speech. The Reach's tactics are so demoralizing because we can see the trouble they are causing for the heroes. In contrast, I don't have any reason to be invested in what Godfrey is saying because I can't see what effect his words have on the world. If there's some sort of anti-league sentiment out there, it needs to be shown, not just talked about.

Quote:
The military was present when the Reach made their move, so that's probably too little too late. Not to mention the time-frame between the last episode and this one is less than a day, so they could only talk to the people already available and in contact with the Ambassador.
Do you really think that if the League told the world's governments that the Reach had kidnapped and experimented a bunch of people, that those governments would still consider the Reach welcome? It's not a matter of proof so much as it is a matter of legitimacy, and the League (established heroes) have far more credibility with the people of Earth than do the Reach (mysterious aliens who have just recently revealed themselves to the populace and claimed to have friendly intentions). That's why "Cornered" reduced the issue to Captain Atom trying to persuade Tseng. If Weisman had tried to portray every world leader as taking the Reach's side over Captain Atom's claims, he never would have gotten the plot to work. You'd get people who are unsure what to think. You'd get people who want nothing to do with the Reach. You might get some people who hate the Justice League enough that they don't respect their warnings, but the Reach's chance to build a positive reputation would be shattered.

Look at "Starcrossed", of Justice League fame. The world leaders aren't falling all over themselves to work with thanagarians. There's a long discussion first about whether or not to accept the hawksoldiers' help. There's disagreement and debate even though the thanagarians have a couple of advantages. No one knows that they're hostile (at first), Shayera's standing as a hero and a League member boost the thanagarians' credibility as would-be saviors, and the remote-controlled Gordanian ship makes the threat seem real and immediate. Despite that, the world doesn't promptly decide to let the thanagarians help them.

There's going to be argument and debate among Earth's leaders about the Reach, especially in their first moments of arrival. An accusation that they're involved in kidnapping--especially an accusation from the Justice League--would break any chance they had of establishing widespread credibility. Sure, some people may demand proof, but others are going to take the League on faith (it's the Justice League's word vs. the Reach's word), and still other people won't take the League on faith but will instead decide that trusting the Reach is too risky.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #33
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
Neutron from "Bloodlines".
OH! [/facepalm] Thanks! (That kind of messes us the little Super Friends tribute they had going there, though...he doesn't fit! Oh well...)

Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #34
kane9321
oakland's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj wolverine View Post
I personally dont hate Mal. Before yesterday's episode I thought he was a waste of screen time and was nothing more than Bumblebee's needy b**ch.
i feel the same way still

Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.
They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #35
Drakepool
Side-Kick

Yeah, Mal really shined here. I thought Despero was just gonna clobber him (and he kinda did) but he did pretty well IMO.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #36
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Show needs more Shazam...forget that, I want a Shazam cartoon.
Billy's hitting puberty haha.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #37
Jordacar
The Endless One

I would love to see a prequel series focusing on the JSA in the 40's and 50's, but I can't imagine that'll ever happen.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #38
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
Agreed!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #39
Drakepool
Side-Kick

Quote:
Same could also be said for Zatanna.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #40
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakepool View Post
Same could also be said for Zatanna.
I don't know, I don't really like Zatanna all that much in this show. I know this is supposed to be a younger version of her but I don't like Zatanna as a teen/early 20 something. It just doesn't go well on screen for some reason.

Also, she was kind of useless in this episode. When they made it clear she would appear, I thought she was going to APPEAR. Not make a cameo. Yeah, sure she was the one who beat Despero, but that was pretty anticlimactic in itself. Disappointing..

Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #41
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverusername8 View Post
That's what I said in my first comment! Impulse had something going there when he said that spilling his guts about the future could be the very cause of it. The League is going to lose their shiz over this and take some drastic action that will only complicate the whole situation.

But I'm wondering if it will really kill Jaime to remove the scarab? I mean, it probably should in the world of YJ but will the creators really let that happen? He's like the most likable new character this season. It'd really blow chunks if they did that
I know I figured I would bring your comment back up lol. I think they will find a way to remove the scarab from his body without killing him. There is always a way in cartoon slol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
Time travel stories can often become self fulfilling prophecies. From what we saw in "BLOODLINES", Impulse was able to have some effect on his future (curing Neutron in the past, and this altering him in the future), although the broad strokes remained the same. It may be a matter of altering details. It is very possible that the "Blue Beetle" who betrayed humanity and enslaved Earth for the Reach is not Jaime Reyes. In the original comic, there was Peacemaker who also had dealings with the Reach and was both an adversary and ally of Jaime. If the scarab was successfully removed, one can imagine the Reach would seek to reclaim it and attach it to a more willing host.
Oh the paradox of time travel. I think that even though Impulse's future was not changed too much and that only Neutron seemed to change I'm guessing with enough drastic changes in the past the future can change entirely.

Quote:
Yes, and Yes lol. My favorite after Batman. Check out my avi. Just did it last night. It was longer and incorporated the recent JL episode, but I had to cut it short to fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordacar View Post
I would love to see a prequel series focusing on the JSA in the 40's and 50's, but I can't imagine that'll ever happen.
I slowed down the youtube preview for last week's episode and there is a statute of Wildcat, Green Lantern-Alan Scott, some guy and girl in red, Jay Garrick, and Sandman.

I wouldn't hold it against them doing an episode that takes place during the golden age. Maybe Flash or Impulse goes back in the past.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)

Last edited by Midnight Black; 01-14-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #42
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
I don't know, I don't really like Zatanna all that much in this show. I know this is supposed to be a younger version of her but I don't like Zatanna as a teen/early 20 something. It just doesn't go well on screen for some reason.

Also, she was kind of useless in this episode. When they made it clear she would appear, I thought she was going to APPEAR. Not make a cameo. Yeah, sure she was the one who beat Despero, but that was pretty anticlimactic in itself. Disappointing..
Zatanna isn't that bad. I like this interpretation of her. I agree that an older sexier Zatanna is more appealing, but I think a younger Zatanna adds something to the group and there really isn't any sense of wasting her by making her older and never using her.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #43
Drakepool
Side-Kick

Quote:
At least she did something here.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #44
LLSmoothJ

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker here.

Upon thinking about the episode Cornered after Jaime decides that he wants the Scarab removed, which may cause someone else to become the Blue Beetle that enslaves Earth w/The Reach, am I the only one that thinks that it could be Bart's fault? I mean he did say that Jaime would become the "Biggest Big Bad" in history, not the Blue Beetle but Jaime. If this happens... Let's just say that all of his efforts to prevent his horrible future from happening would be all for nothing.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #45
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLSmoothJ View Post
Hi, first time poster, long time lurker here.

Upon thinking about the episode Cornered after Jaime decides that he wants the Scarab removed, which may cause someone else to become the Blue Beetle that enslaves Earth w/The Reach, am I the only one that thinks that it could be Bart's fault? I mean he did say that Jaime would become the "Biggest Big Bad" in history, not the Blue Beetle but Jaime. If this happens... Let's just say that all of his efforts to prevent his horrible future from happening would be all for nothing.
That is the paradox of time travel. You set out to change things only to learn that it was you that caused it. I don't know if Bart knew that the Blue Beetle from the future was or wasn't Jaimie underneath, it was never said (to my knowledge).

Sometimes destiny and fates are just meant to be and sometimes things can change. Time travel is funny that way. Another poster and I discussed how little things have been changed from Bart's involvement in the past, but that the "broad strokes" were still intact and that the future was still devastated by a disaster.

It is interesting to see where things will go.

Last edited by Midnight Black; 01-21-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #46
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

As much as I like the show, and the writing is so good, I want the heroes to win. This season is a lot of the bad guys winning. I just want to see the good guys not loose so much.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #47
MMMMM...Pancakes
SHOCK The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
As much as I like the show, and the writing is so good, I want the heroes to win. This season is a lot of the bad guys winning. I just want to see the good guys not loose so much.
The good guys will win in the end, the bad guys winning now creates drama/helps get the viewer invested into the main characters. It'll all payoff by the end of the season.

***Wrestling Thread Crew***
Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #48
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Meg'an didn't blame Dick for not telling them about Kaldoran, it's a pleasant surprise
There's still the loose end (so far) with Arsenal, and then there's the point of Static Shock origin
They'd better green light season 3 for this show, and no more delays in releasing episodes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
The Light were seemingly winning most of season 1, until the end came

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #49
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

more than anything I want Walle to become the new Flash

Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #50
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Does anybody else really not like M'gann? She's just so emotionally challenged to me. She brainwashed Aqualad, uncovered the "big secret", and froze when the gladiator came. I just think that she needs to stop trying to be a human so much. I'm so fed up with her. (Sorry, had to get that out)Anyway I like how the show is progressing. My only problem is that is was getting a little too dramatic before the hiatus. I think now, while it still has that dramatic mature feel, I think that they're focusing a bit more on action and story.

Closed Thread