The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #51
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Young Justice Cartoon - Part 8

Miss Martian has usually been among my "least favorite" of the main cast, personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
Oh the paradox of time travel. I think that even though Impulse's future was not changed too much and that only Neutron seemed to change I'm guessing with enough drastic changes in the past the future can change entirely.
Perhaps. I think Peter David (who wrote "BLOODLINES") stated that altering the future via time travel worked in stages; until/unless some critical things were altered, it happened piecemeal.

That isn't how time travel worked in "GARGOYLES" though, which was mostly set in stone. Attempts to alter it usually wound up causing it. For all we know, Impulse's attempts to meddle may wind up causing the events he's sought to change.

Naturally, time travel came up a lot in the 90's "X-MEN" series. Bishop kept traveling back in time from the year 2045 (I think) to try to find a way to prevent his world run by Sentinels from becoming reality; after two jumps all he usually wound up doing was changing the details of how the Sentinels rose to power. Naturally, in "WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN", while the time spanning efforts of Professor X did alter the future and prevent Master Mold from ruling the world in 20 years, it essentially cleared the way for Apocalypse to do so.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #52
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Default Re: Young Justice Cartoon - Part 8

I think she needs to stop turning people to vegetables probing their minds, or just go easy on it

~*SHH SIX*~
member 14: Supa-Pizza
H.E
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #53
J the Drafter
Side-Kick

I liked M'Gann the insecure actor who concealed her natural form and pretended to be humanoid. I didn't care about M'Gann the girl who mooned after Superboy. I also don't have any reason to care about M'Gann's brain-rape tendencies. Maybe I would care if I could have seen why M'Gann started tearing up people's minds, but having it just presented to me doesn't pique my interest.

One serious problem I'm having with Young Justice is the way the writers ignore characterization or logic in order to keep the plot moving. Wally and Artemis spend most of the series vacillating between fighting and managing to get along right until the very end when they suddenly kiss.

The Justice League should be able to go right to the world's leaders and tell them the Reach kidnapped and experimented on a bunch of teenagers, but Greg has the League limit their attempt at explaining the truth to Captain Atom talking to Tseng and Tseng demanding proof. We viewers are not supposed to realize that the Reach have met humanity half a day ago and that the League have been active for over a decade. There's a little thing called credibility, and the Reach have far less than the League. Those who don't simply take the League at their word are still going to be doubting the Reach's intentions.

On a smaller note, there's the way Conner's, Artemis's, and M'Gann's confessions to each other and the rest of the Team are presented. The writers truncated those confessions because they wanted to fit them into those flashbacks so they could have a "wow!" moment where we're surprised at the Team's honesty. The writers got that moment, but they sacrificed some time they could have spent on character development to do so.

I feel that I would like this show more if the writers were more honest storytelling-wise.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #54
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

I think it is easier to enjoy m'gann arc if you watch the episodes together instead of 5 months apart. She obviously hasn't been taught her not to mind rape people.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #55
brainchild81
Arachnid-Fellow

I liked seeing Mal ham it up. All that "Strength of the earth" **** made me lol

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #56
Drakepool
Side-Kick

And people say this show is nothing but grimdark.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #57
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

New clips and videos for the next episode:

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/20...s-dc-nation-2/

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #58
nygma619
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J the Drafter View Post
I liked M'Gann the insecure actor who concealed her natural form and pretended to be humanoid. I didn't care about M'Gann the girl who mooned after Superboy. I also don't have any reason to care about M'Gann's brain-rape tendencies. Maybe I would care if I could have seen why M'Gann started tearing up people's minds, but having it just presented to me doesn't pique my interest.
Who says you won't eventually?

Quote:
One serious problem I'm having with Young Justice is the way the writers ignore characterization or logic in order to keep the plot moving. Wally and Artemis spend most of the series vacillating between fighting and managing to get along right until the very end when they suddenly kiss.
More like you keep expecting characters to act like computers instead of people.

Quote:
The Justice League should be able to go right to the world's leaders and tell them the Reach kidnapped and experimented on a bunch of teenagers, but Greg has the League limit their attempt at explaining the truth to Captain Atom talking to Tseng and Tseng demanding proof. We viewers are not supposed to realize that the Reach have met humanity half a day ago and that the League have been active for over a decade. There's a little thing called credibility, and the Reach have far less than the League.
After Godfrey spent all that time discrediting the league to the public? Unlikely. How would you go about proving that the reach are what Captain Atom says they are?

Quote:
On a smaller note, there's the way Conner's, Artemis's, and M'Gann's confessions to each other and the rest of the Team are presented. The writers truncated those confessions because they wanted to fit them into those flashbacks so they could have a "wow!" moment where we're surprised at the Team's honesty. The writers got that moment, but they sacrificed some time they could have spent on character development to do so.
What moments did you need to see that you already got?

You keep expecting the writers to spoonfeed you details, because you don't want to come to your own conclusions or figure out things for yourself for some reason.

Last edited by nygma619; 01-18-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #59
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
New clips and videos for the next episode:

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/20...s-dc-nation-2/
Awesome!

Clips and Screen-Caps show:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
- Sportsmaster having a meeting with the Light (in particular Vandal Savage, Lex Luthor and Black Manta) regarding the death of Artemis and offering to ease the "debt" by killing Kaldur. Since this is a non-starter, it provokes a fight. Looks damn interesting, although Sportsmaster either has a plan B or is very cocky to risk fighting Vandal AND Manta at once. Not to mention he's on their turf, and they always have underlings. Especially since Deathstroke has been seen in caps, and I've theorized that he replaces Sportsmaster on the Light's "payroll". This bit alone looks better to me than the A-plot; especially since in YJ's universe, heroes accomplish nothing but meaningless diversionary victories. It's the villains or morally bankrupt who ever attain anything lasting. After all, stopping Capt. Cold from a robbery spree is worthless next to the stuff the Light accomplishes on a daily basis. Naturally, that's why Nightwing and Kaldur had to toss away the rule book (or at least bend it heavily) to even have a chance at being proper rivals to the Light. I'll likely see Vandal in action again, so, this will be great stuff.

- The team that Robin/Tim Drake leads in his infiltration mission are Impulse, Arsenal/Angry Arrow II, and Blue Beetle. Earlier scenes show Nightwing and Superboy, which does allude to the actual team from the original YOUNG JUSTICE comic.

- We will see some of what Atom and Bumblebee do when they hang together.

- Black Beetle turns up again. Perhaps because he'll be one of the minions on staff at the Light's base alongside Deathstroke. I imagine Cheshire may not be far behind her father. Will this whole scene involve Tigress too? OOooh, very interesting.

- The Reach are now public and accepted enough via partnering with LexCorp that they run tours with the "sheeple" and are genetically modifying food. This is a whole debate in real life so naturally it's the show staying current.

- The sound clip of Phil LaMarr saying, "Now THAT's a rutabaga!" needs to become a ringtone or a meme.

- Not only are Luthor and the Reach uniting when Superman is busy in space, they're uniting in SMALLVILLE. Dude, that's cold.

- Expect the bionic arm Arsenal accepted from Luthor to become a plot detail. Sure, he likely had it examined, but heroes don't notice **** when it's storyline relevant. For example, back in the 1980's Egghead was able to graft a bionic arm onto a woman which allowed him to control her and was also immune to detection by the Avengers' best experts in his long term effort to discredit and control Hank Pym. So I sort of see this story as similar to that.

At this point, anyone who doesn't realize that Jaime Reyes/Blue Beetle and Impulse/Bart Allen are lead characters this season isn't paying attention. They're always at the heart of the action and they have been for several key episodes now. The season is ramping up and they're not about to fade into the background when things are getting hot so characters who have done nothing all season can do something. Kaldur at this point is a MacGuffin. Nightwing is mission control, although he does get out and about on a part time basis. And Wally is the long suffering boyfriend, who is off to the side babysitting a dog. Superboy and Miss Martian are the only lead characters from Season 1 who I don't feel have been so heavily benched by the newer characters, as they're also always at the heart of the action. The jury is still out on Tigress, but since in YJ the villains usually always win, I consider that a key role. Now, I am not exactly saying this as a complaint; not completely. After all, I do actually like Jaime Reyes far more than Miss Martian. I am just stating down the facts as I see them.

Perhaps in a technical definition a "lead character" motivates the actions of other characters and/or the plot. But in actual real life, most people consider lead characters the ones who get a majority of the focus, screentime, and relevant action. And since this is a superhero team cartoon and not a stage play, action does mean ACTION sometimes. It's not unusual for some shows to alter their main cast between seasons, it however does cause some shock in certain sections of the audience which naturally - especially when allowed to fester longer than planned due to the network's schedule - can lead to some debates and stuff online getting a bit extreme.

I've learned to abandon any expectations for certain characters and to just enjoy the story as it unfolds around me. And in that, "YOUNG JUSTICE" is unsurpassed right now in terms of TV animation right now. Every new episode is eagerly anticipated, and "TRUE COLORS" looks to blast "CORNERED" out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakepool View Post
And people say this show is nothing but grimdark.
It's "grimdark" with occasional moments of levity to break tension. It also has a share of dark humor.

Last edited by Dread; 01-18-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #60
bigdaddy313
Side-Kick

So in this one we are getting an interracial Hank and Janet relationship interesting lol

Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #61
Drakepool
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

- The sound clip of Phil LaMarr saying, "Now THAT's a rutabaga!" needs to become a ringtone or a meme.
I thought for sure that was Crispin Freeman. O_O

Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #62
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy313 View Post
So in this one we are getting an interracial Hank and Janet relationship interesting lol
One hopes Ray Palmer is more mentally stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakepool View Post
I thought for sure that was Crispin Freeman. O_O
It may have been him. It sounded like Phil LaMarr to me. Since Freeman voices Arsenal, your guess is actually more probable. Both have done voice work for the show.

Last edited by Dread; 01-18-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #63
nygma619
Side-Kick

Quote:
At this point, anyone who doesn't realize that Jaime Reyes/Blue Beetle and Impulse/Bart Allen are lead characters this season isn't paying attention.
You mean like Zatanna last season?

Quote:
The season is ramping up and they're not about to fade into the background when things are getting hot so characters who have done nothing all season can do something.
Didn't stop it from happening on Gargoyles.

Quote:
Now, I am not exactly saying this as a complaint; not completely. After all, I do actually like Jaime Reyes far more than Miss Martian. I am just stating down the facts as I see them.
Or as you perceive them.

Quote:
Perhaps in a technical definition a "lead character" motivates the actions of other characters and/or the plot. But in actual real life, most people consider lead characters the ones who get a majority of the focus, screentime, and relevant action. And since this is a superhero team cartoon
It's a superhero cartoon, BUT it's not like most superhero cartoons. It's creators are not afraid of making it's audience think or expect them to have a little patience. Otherwise they wouldn't have done things like the time skip or not be afraid to have some characters stay on the back burner, as they feel is needed.

Example: Sportsmaster's beef with killing Artemis is now being explored after the 3 episode gap between episodes. Just because we don't see something RIGHT AWAY doesn't mean creative forgot about it.

I'd rather creators not conform to certain "rules" the fandom expects, just because it's "tradition".

Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #64
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygma619 View Post
You mean like Zatanna last season?
With all due respect, Jaime and Bart have done more this season than Zatanna did the last. They're also more firmly entrenched in the seasonal arc than she was.

At the very least, because Zatanna was romantically attached to Grayson, her development usually involved him. While Wally was present during Bart's introduction and Bart claims in dialogue that they hang out, the same hasn't happened for him. That's usually why some people keep saying Impulse has replaced Kid-Flash. It's only because he has.

Quote:
Didn't stop it from happening on Gargoyles.
This show isn't "GARGOYLES". Or "SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN" or "WITCH". It is its own thing. Sure, certain dynamics, tropes, and references remain but it is a new work.

Quote:
Or as you perceive them.
And? I said nothing less. I'm not a Martian so I can't influence how others see things.

Quote:
It's a superhero cartoon, BUT it's not like most superhero cartoons. It's creators are not afraid of making it's audience think or expect them to have a little patience. Otherwise they wouldn't have done things like the time skip or not be afraid to have some characters stay on the back burner, as they feel is needed.

Example: Sportsmaster's beef with killing Artemis is now being explored after the 3 episode gap between episodes. Just because we don't see something RIGHT AWAY doesn't mean creative forgot about it.

I'd rather creators not conform to certain "rules" the fandom expects, just because it's "tradition".
For the record, "SATISFACTION" was technically 4 episodes removed from "TRUE COLORS". Sportsmaster's beef leads him to the main plot (since he is going after the primary antagonists) which attaches to Tigress because it IS her father, and she likely will become involved in whatever the aftermath is.

There's a back burner and then there's another car. Remember, we now have new Reach abductee characters to have to devote an obligatory episode around, at least. This ideally wouldn't be a problem, but in a shortened season, priorities matter. The more characters there are in a show, the less space each one has. This isn't usually a problem when you have clear stars and clear supporting, secondary, and cameo characters. This season has made such distinctions less clear, or at least less clear in the context of what the show's producer/story editor says in interviews. Which, to be fair, is fine; he certainly can't give away all secrets and still needs to help promote his work. That doesn't mean I have to ignore my lying eyes.

I'd be a bit more patient had the network not knee-capped the season by 20% of the former's episode length, and had the cast not quadrupled this season. The time skip was a tactic to make every line of dialogue or spare exposition count because now regular viewers were just as lost watching the season as new ones, at least early on, as well as a justification for spare characters like Batgirl or Beast Boy.

I expect the story to satisfy me, or at least keep me guessing. As for whatever I will be satisfied with certain characters I happen to like, I've learned to abandon most expectations and take what I get. I don't believe the creative team forgot about certain things. I think they didn't have time for certain things, especially when they didn't know how many episodes they'd get, and then what they got was still shorter than last season, and prioritized. Especially since they had that spare tie-in comic for edited material and WHOOPS, that was cancelled. The struggle for time is always there for TV animation, and that means prioritizing. The story is paramount and the characters which tie into it heavily naturally become paramount. Those that don't, well, sucks for them.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #65
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Here are the clips on YouTube...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #66
nygma619
Side-Kick

Quote:
At the very least, because Zatanna was romantically attached to Grayson, her development usually involved him.
Really? The relationship between them usually involved flirting on screen and little beyond that. Her biggest development came in Misplaced where her father sacrifices his freedom for hers.

Quote:
That's usually why some people keep saying Impulse has replaced Kid-Flash. It's only because he has.
In the traditional sense, perhaps. Though this show is far from traditional.

Quote:
This show isn't "GARGOYLES". Or "SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN" or "WITCH". It is its own thing. Sure, certain dynamics, tropes, and references remain but it is a new work.
All those shows were their own thing as well, but they all still used the same kind of story telling devices, Greg Weisman helmed shows have been known for. Namely thinking the audience is capable of being patient for certain twists and payoffs, not many people would've let their audience think Harry Osborn was the Green Goblin for 18 episodes (well okay to the best of their abilities), heck they were willing to do that before they got a 2nd 13 episode batch.

Quote:
For the record, "SATISFACTION" was technically 4 episodes removed from "TRUE COLORS".
Really? There was Darkest, Before The Dawn, and Cornered. Now where's that 4th episode.

Quote:
There's a back burner and then there's another car. Remember, we now have new Reach abductee characters to have to devote an obligatory episode around, at least.
And only ONE OF THEM is becoming a team member in the future (Static), the rest of them are mostly going to be cameos, I'm guessing. Also I think Wally will be making an appearance soon. Given that THAT episode is titled Runaways. AND the show always has multiple reference points that tie into an episode.

Quote:
I'd be a bit more patient had the network not knee-capped the season by 20% of the former's episode length, and had the cast not quadrupled this season.
Quadrupled? Last season the cast had arguably 9 main characters by the end.
This season we've added:
Blue Beetle
Lagoon Boy
Robin III
Batgirl
Beast Boy
Bumblebee
Guardian III
Wonder Girl
Impulse
Arsenal
Static (later)

That would usually add up to 20 with 11 new characters, but 3 of them are no longer a part of the main cast, and are now supporting characters. So that leaves us with 17 and not all of them are main characters, some are supporting characters like Tim Drake.
So 6 (or 9) quadrupled is 17? Hey as long as were being technical.

I think that the main six are going to be the ones that have the most emotionally heavy arcs of the season. I mean sure Bart and Jamie might get alot of screen time, but we don't know alot about them on an emotional level like we do the main six.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #67
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygma619 View Post
Really? The relationship between them usually involved flirting on screen and little beyond that. Her biggest development came in Misplaced where her father sacrifices his freedom for hers.
Not all romantic relationships are equal. Some are kismet and others run their course. We didn't know which that one was until Season 2. I thought they were a fun couple, but apparently a superficial one. The point is that by attaching her to Grayson, even in a "flirty" relationship, gave Grayson something to do as her storyline developed. That was a good thing.

Quote:
In the traditional sense, perhaps. Though this show is far from traditional.
Impulse has replaced Kid-Flash on "the team", at least physically. In fairness, that was because Wally had retired with Artemis and thus there was a gap on the team for a speedster. He's also appeared in more episodes this season. Impulse has appeared in 6 episodes this season; Wally has appeared in 5 (and that includes his silent cameo in "SATISFACTION"). Bart has also appeared in 4 straight episodes as of "TRUE COLORS" (and counting). The last time Wally appeared in 4 straight episodes, it was the end of Season 1 - and just barely, as "PERFORMANCE" just has a brief cameo.

We can all wax on about whatever the future holds for these two, but that's the story now. For the moment, Impulse has replaced him.

Quote:
All those shows were their own thing as well, but they all still used the same kind of story telling devices, Greg Weisman helmed shows have been known for. Namely thinking the audience is capable of being patient for certain twists and payoffs, not many people would've let their audience think Harry Osborn was the Green Goblin for 18 episodes (well okay to the best of their abilities), heck they were willing to do that before they got a 2nd 13 episode batch.
With "TSSM", Weisman had a formidable task with the Green Goblin. As his show was set at the start of Spider-Man's career as a superhero, he'd have to introduce his villains including the Goblin, which was usually treated as a mystery. Not only is the Goblin's identity well known in terms of comic lore and prior cartoons, but it was naturally a major point in the then-recent Sony films. Naturally, the twist with Harry was a good sleight of hand, especially since Harry had also been the Goblin in the comics and said films. It was a great twist, but I might argue that there was little choice if he wanted to make it a genuine mystery; SOME twist had to be done or attempted. Granted, he could have simply not cared, like Loeb and Man of Action on "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN", but obviously he's in a league above them.

I also think the long and short term storyarcs were handled better in "TSSM" than in "YJ", but that's another argument.

Quote:
Really? There was Darkest, Before The Dawn, and Cornered. Now where's that 4th episode.
Sportsmaster and Cheshire make their vow in "SATISFACTION". "TRUE COLORS" is the 4th episode since then. You count down the list. There were 3 episodes between them.

Quote:
And only ONE OF THEM is becoming a team member in the future (Static), the rest of them are mostly going to be cameos, I'm guessing. Also I think Wally will be making an appearance soon. Given that THAT episode is titled Runaways. AND the show always has multiple reference points that tie into an episode.
You can't make that determination about the abductee characters. Ty alone was already a major element of "BENEATH", and is Jaime's friend. Static, naturally, is a well known character thanks to having his own TV show on network TV for 4 seasons (which CN ran in syndication for years), which WB home video was too stupid to release on DVD somehow. But I'm not going to suggest that El Dorado and Samurai (or their counterparts, like Ty) aren't going to hog their own episode and then keep turning up ever since. This season's been all too eager to throw in more regular characters.

"THE RUNAWAYS" airs the day before the Superbowl and speculation is that it will revolve somewhat around the abductee characters. In the teaser footage for the rest of the season, we see Blue Beetle fighting Red Volcano and one theory is he'll be part of that episode. Since it takes place after "THE FIX", another theory is that it involves Tigress and Kaldur leaving Black Manta's organization after things go pear shaped. Assuming Wally is turning up because of a word play doesn't hold water for me. If he does, he'll do what he usually does this season - support someone else. Otherwise, I'd assume Rainbow Raider would fit in perfectly in an episode called "TRUE COLORS".

Quote:
Quadrupled? Last season the cast had arguably 9 main characters by the end.
This season we've added:
Blue Beetle
Lagoon Boy
Robin III
Batgirl
Beast Boy
Bumblebee
Guardian III
Wonder Girl
Impulse
Arsenal
Static (later)

That would usually add up to 20 with 11 new characters, but 3 of them are no longer a part of the main cast, and are now supporting characters. So that leaves us with 17 and not all of them are main characters, some are supporting characters like Tim Drake.
So 6 (or 9) quadrupled is 17? Hey as long as were being technical.

I think that the main six are going to be the ones that have the most emotionally heavy arcs of the season. I mean sure Bart and Jamie might get alot of screen time, but we don't know alot about them on an emotional level like we do the main six.
That is assuming Rocket was a main character at the end of Season 1. I frankly don't know why she was added to the cast at all, beyond having an in-show excuse to summarize the storyline of the season for a new character. Which is a gimmick. She's done little since and beyond getting another Dwayne McDuffie Milestone character on the screen, I fail to see the point of it from a broader sense.

You also don't list villains as regular characters. Cheshire, for instance, turns up about as often as some supporting characters. And there's no Red Arrow.

The dilemma is it is harder to tell which characters are supporting characters and which are leads. You may see Tim Drake as a supporting character, but "TRUE COLORS" likely will flesh him out a bit. "BENEATH" focused a bit on Wonder Girl. Now, that's perfectly fine in an organic sense to allow audiences to get a better feel for the characters. The issue is naturally that in a shortened season, that's a lot of vital time spent on "supporting" characters. Especially when at any given time quite a few of your leads are on "the back burner". Sure, Bart Allen/Impulse doesn't show up until the 6th episode of Season 2 while that had been Wally's second appearance that season. Yet since he's taken on a larger role in the show than Wally, becoming Jaime Reyes' friend as well as carrying out his own time travel subplot, which keys into the seasonal arc about aliens and ultimately the Reach's arrival. Therefore, I cannot automatically dismiss the abductee characters as, "oh, they're totally supporting characters" when for all I know they'll get an episode and then we'll not be rid of them. Two episodes are literally 10% of this entire season. That's how much shorter it is.

I also consider Jaime's subplot to be "emotionally heavy". And he's supposedly not a lead character this season. Heck, Bart Allen is only tasked with altering time to prevent an apocalypse. I'm not denying that the subplots revolving around Nightwing or Kaldur or Artemis aren't "emotionally heavy", just stating it isn't just them and that term is vague. Some people find watching football games to be "emotionally heavy". I'd also argue at least as much is known about Jaime or Bart as is about Kaldur.

I was exaggerating when I stated "quadruple", but the cast has inflated this season and the focus has been passed around like a vodka bottle around a high school lawn. More characters getting more focus with fewer episodes is an equation for others getting shorted. Nightwing and Kaldur have motivated a lot of the actions taken this season, with Artemis getting caught up in those machinations. Superboy and Miss Martian are still in the thick of it. But it is other characters who find up going through the motions or actions of those machinations.

Now, some may argue that a show which doesn't have an iron clad set of lead and supporting characters is egalitarian in that you have to pay attention to everyone because they all have a role to play. And that's fine to a point. After all, Red Tornado was a supporting character last season yet his role was critical in the season finale. This is riveting in terms of the storyline, but it can become frustrating from a character standpoint for some.

"JLU" was sloppy in some corners of storytelling and had a lot of focus issues of its own, but one thing it did was it knew how to give the audience what it wanted - sometimes to a fault (such as going out on a Darkseid death scene for a finale for a 3rd time, or catering to a vocal subsection of "Beyond" critics via Terry's revelation). I can't say it was always brilliant but I did leave it feeling satisfied. I honestly don't know how this season of "YJ" will end on me. Which is naturally both good (as it isn't predictable or insipid) and bad (a show too smart to cater risks becoming too smug to care). It's naturally never an easy thing to produce, which is why not everyone can. And those that can face the eternal challenge of matching and/or surpassing their own work, which is never easy.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #68
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
SHH! Moderator

"As anticipated, the team was quite effective...we really must form one of our own." Oh. Snap.

Last edited by OnTheAir; 01-20-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #69
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

All this time, I thought the villain version of the team was the little squad in "Darkest". Seems I was proven way wrong.

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #70
Maximus One
Oddball

Better and better each week! Sportsmaster was especially badass. Loved seeing Arsenal in the action too. Totally did not expect freaking Green Beetle. Is he an actual comic character? I've never even heard of him. All in all, great episode

Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #71
Sarcastic Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
"JLU" was sloppy in some corners of storytelling and had a lot of focus issues of its own, but one thing it did was it knew how to give the audience what it wanted
That's a pretty monolithic view of what "the audience" is. Every member of "the audience" wants the same thing? Because JLU never gave me what I wanted. I wanted actions to have long term consequences, but they really didn't. I wanted Cadmus to have an ending as nuanced as the arc, not a convenient bad guy. I wanted Lex Luthor to NOT be the Big Bad again. I wanted it to end on something character-driven, not a twenty-two minute WWE match. I wanted Batman to NOT give a group of dangerous supervillains a five-minute head start.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #72
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Did anyone catch the Justice League series logo during G. Gordon Godfrey's news segment? I thought that was a nice little easter egg.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 01-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #73
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

So glad this show is back. Finally they give Robin some lines. This episode seemed like a bit of a throwback to season one with a small team trying to get out of a jam. Loved it.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #74
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

I overslept and the episode is still nowhere to be found!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #75
Jordacar
The Endless One

Anyone want to tell me why Deathstroke was sporting a long white mane?

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Closed Thread