The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Polux
Side-Kick

Default Question for the guitar players in the forum...

Hi, I just started playing guitar very recently ( a couple of months ago) and I wanna buy an electric guitar; I saw on the Guitar Center website the Epiphone les Paul Special II, saw some videos and heard is a good guitar for begginers; also at a very good price (I'm kinda broke right now ) so i decided to buy it; but then I saw that they also have a LP Special I with P90 pick-ups for a lower price; my question would be, which one should I get?? Is there a big difference between the 2?? I, didn't even know there was a "Special I" model, I thought there was only "Special II"; some friends told me that the P90s are really good pick-ups, and kinda pricey; I can't go to the store I try'em myself cause i don't live in the US and I'll have to ask a friend to bring it over for me, so I need to be sure I'm making the right decition with this.

I'll appreciate any help on the matter.

Thanx in advance!

Polux

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: Question for the guitar players in the forum...

you are new to the instrument, no need to spend a lot of money. If you are literally on a learning curve, learn the instrument first, get the sound later. That's how i was with my guitar.

and my drums. I bought my set for 80 bucks. ****** thing. Got a new snare eventually, a vintage 60s acrolite, and some skins for my drums, been learning on that thing for a year and a half. I got good, have recording music with friends with this kit, and now, a year and a half later, I am finally almost ready to make the financial decision to buy a new set.

Learn the instrument first, don't worry about sound, the les paul special I or II should be fine. and for you, you should simply go with the cheaper option. Do you plan to keep it as a hobby? If you do, spend cheaply, learn the instrment, get good, save up, and buy legitimately nice guitar, and a nice amp.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Corey
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

As chance would have it, I own a Gibson Les Paul Special. It doesn't haven P-90s though; it has humbuckers. Either guitar is a good choice. Both are excellent quality. It really comes down to what sound you want. P-90s tend to be hot and more hummy or squealy, similar to a single coil pickup on a Strat (but with more of a rounder sound).

In any case, after price considerations, the versatility of a given guitar should be the first thing you should look into. If you happen to listen to music ranging from Country to Hard Rock, then you'll be wise to choose a guitar that can offer all of those tones in one package. (i.e. A 5 way pickup selector, with one of the selections being humbucking and others being single coil; or a 3 toggle selector humbucking guitar with a push-pull coil tap to switch to single coil; etc)

Also, you REALLY need to make sure that the guitar you choose is solidly built. If it is difficult to have it in tune due to intonation quirks inherent to that guitar, pass on it. Here's a great test that will save you headaches down the line: Tune the guitar. Play this G chord: [Standard tuning, EADGBE (320033)] Then play this E chord: 022100

If one chord sounds perfect, but the other sounds "off" (slightly out of tune), consider looking for another guitar.

Last edited by Corey; 01-23-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Every guitar will have intonation problems at one point or another. It's unavoidable, but that's what routine maintainence is for. And most stores will do a free set up on a new guitar, fixing intonation, action, truss rod, etc.

Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
Corey
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
Every guitar will have intonation problems at one point or another. It's unavoidable, but that's what routine maintainence is for. And most stores will do a free set up on a new guitar, fixing intonation, action, truss rod, etc.
Yes, but getting your guitar setup, and having the intonation adjusted, doesn't always fix the specific problem I mentioned. Playing a barred G, for instance, at the 3rd position and then playing it at the high octive and getting both chords to sound the same--that is an easy intonation fix. Not so with the open G- open E dilemma. It's a common pesky problem that implies there are other misalignments other than simple intonation problems.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
you are new to the instrument, no need to spend a lot of money. If you are literally on a learning curve, learn the instrument first, get the sound later.
Yes, yes, and yes. No novice player needs a boutique instrument. Having a $4,000 guitar will not make you play a G any better when you're a n00b. Trying to predict what instrument you'll like when you're better is an exercise in futility as well. You won't know what kind of sound you want until you've developed your ears, and you won't develop your ears until you've played, and played, and played. When it comes to guitar, the physical mechanics of moving your fingers has to happen first. You can't really worry about your ears until you have the basics down of simply grabbing the neck and picking some strings.

I know how eager you are to jump on new stuff, but trust me, just give it until you've played for about a year, and you'll be much more likely to make informed decisions on your purchases. You'll save money and you're more likely to buy an instrument you'll actually want to keep.

If you're a novice and you really want to get another axe, I suggest rondomusic.net. Quality instruments for stellar prices. Don't blow hundreds of dollars just to pay for a brand name.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
JamesEubank

As you are beginner to use guitar. So you should buy a cheap guitar. When it will make you expert, then you should buy a new one that may have expensive.

JamesEubank is offline   Reply With Quote