The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #526
Lorus
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

I understand the desire to believe that there's a much larger scheme at work with what we have so far but I don't think there's any substantial or compelling evidence to believe the mind gem was in Loki's staff. I feel much the same way about the theory that Loki deliberately allowed himself to be imprisoned in order to be close to the Gauntlet. If the gem in the staff is the mind gem, then it has suffered from the type of retooling that is usually bemoaned around these parts. There are three separate instances in the film where they make it clear the staff's power comes from the cube: Cap mentions it handling like a HYDRA weapon, Fury explicitly stating it's powered by the cube and Banner saying its energy readings are consistent with the cube's own.

It seems to me that the theory only really holds water if you assume the film is actively feeding you misinformation, which seems highly unlikely. I don't think Whedon would go to such lengths to establish the origins of the staff's power if it was part of a bigger story in the future with a completely different mythology.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #527
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

the staff theory is almost a year old and nothing new. if it really is the gem, we will find out in maybe two or three years. but it is very likely given the staffs power.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #528
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

I've only been a member since Jan of this year so I probably am late with that one lol
But about the staff being powered by the cube I know they said it in the movie but I was just thinking Loki had the staff even before he had the cube and he was able to mind control Selvic and Hawkeye before he touched the cube. Think about it whatever power source the Chituri originally used to send Loki to where the cube was in the beginning would have the same signature as the cube. Maybe in the MCU they're trying to set up that the Tesseract and the IG came from the same being/power etc. And it is very possible that the IG is in Odin's vault minus all of the gems. It could just so happen that Thanos already had the Mind Gem and the Space Gem(allowing him to send Loki to the cube and allowing Loki to travel to the Chituri in space) already. It was never explained how the Chituri summoned Loki. It was presumed to be by the staff but what if it was through the use of the Space Gem. This is all speculation of course but Whedon did say he had to have Thanos be behind it all.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #529
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

I don't think Odin has any of the gems; they're probably spread out across the galaxy. They're probably the focus of GOTG.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #530
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

That seems most likely. Although Odin could have one and we see the team cameo at the end credits.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #531
Adjie
Silent_Oushiza

Found this while browsing, looks like we gonna have a new Tony Stark~

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movi...lacement/49138

Ah, I forgot, April Fools~ ^^a

Last edited by Adjie; 04-01-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #532
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
I understand the desire to believe that there's a much larger scheme at work with what we have so far but I don't think there's any substantial or compelling evidence to believe the mind gem was in Loki's staff. I feel much the same way about the theory that Loki deliberately allowed himself to be imprisoned in order to be close to the Gauntlet. If the gem in the staff is the mind gem, then it has suffered from the type of retooling that is usually bemoaned around these parts. There are three separate instances in the film where they make it clear the staff's power comes from the cube: Cap mentions it handling like a HYDRA weapon, Fury explicitly stating it's powered by the cube and Banner saying its energy readings are consistent with the cube's own.

It seems to me that the theory only really holds water if you assume the film is actively feeding you misinformation, which seems highly unlikely. I don't think Whedon would go to such lengths to establish the origins of the staff's power if it was part of a bigger story in the future with a completely different mythology.
QFT.

The Avengers specifically states that the Staff is powered by the Cube; ergo: no Mind Gem. And that Staff was woefully hit-or-miss, anyway --- I don't think the Mind Gem would've been so weak/lame that it couldn't have possessed Tony Stark or Steve Rogers, let alone some random old geezer in the crowd at Stuttgart.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #533
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
QFT.

The Avengers specifically states that the Staff is powered by the Cube; ergo: no Mind Gem. And that Staff was woefully hit-or-miss, anyway --- I don't think the Mind Gem would've been so weak/lame that it couldn't have possessed Tony Stark or Steve Rogers, let alone some random old geezer in the crowd at Stuttgart.
Loki never even tried to possess Cap or the old guy.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 04-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #534
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Loki never even tried to possess Cap or the old guy.
He used the staff to command every one there to kneel. It was implied that the staff's magic was bending them to his will. And yet Cap, Tony, and Random Old Guy made their saving throws. Doesn't bespeak high-level magic there.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #535
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Seemed to me he had them kneel by threat, hence the yelling from Loki and looks of fear and confusion by the people.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #536
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Yeah, he didn't use the staff to make them kneel. If that were the case, he wouldn't have needed the different magical versions of himself to keep them from running away, nor would he have screamed like he did just to get them to listen.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #537
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
He used the staff to command every one there to kneel. It was implied that the staff's magic was bending them to his will. And yet Cap, Tony, and Random Old Guy made their saving throws. Doesn't bespeak high-level magic there.
It wasn't the staff that made them kneel. He had them surrounded with his doubles and some kind of blue energy beam then basically screamed at them kneel ..... remember the old guy stood up to him.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #538
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
QFT.

If I remember correctly they talked about the scepter having the same energy signature as the cube. Which in that case it would be appropriate that they mistook the scepter as being powered by the cube because if you think about it, how could the scepter be powered by the cube when Loki had it and used it before he got the cube. It makes more sense that whatever powered the scepter is similar to the cube

Old 04-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #539
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
If I remember correctly they talked about the scepter having the same energy signature as the cube. Which in that case it would be appropriate that they mistook the scepter as being powered by the cube because if you think about it, how could the scepter be powered by the cube when Loki had it and used it before he got the cube. It makes more sense that whatever powered the scepter is similar to the cube
Doesn't mean it's the Mind Gem. The Infinity Gems don't have anything at all to do with the Cosmic Cube.

And the Gauntlet is film canon --- it officially appears in Thor. Not a deleted scene at all, after all: it's in the actual movie. So the Gems have already been gathered and mounted on the Gauntlet. All that remains is for Thanos to steal/recover the glove from Asgard.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #540
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Doesn't mean it's the Mind Gem. The Infinity Gems don't have anything at all to do with the Cosmic Cube.

And the Gauntlet is film canon --- it officially appears in Thor. Not a deleted scene at all, after all: it's in the actual movie. So the Gems have already been gathered and mounted on the Gauntlet. All that remains is for Thanos to steal/recover the glove from Asgard.
Just because they don't in the comics doesn't mean they can't change that for the movies
And we haven't seen the Gauntlet up close to see if all the gems are in there or not

Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #541
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
Seemed to me he had them kneel by threat, hence the yelling from Loki and looks of fear and confusion by the people.
Exactly. Why would he use mind control to make people to kneel to him? He pretty much went on a monologue explaining to everyone why they want to kneel. He wanted them to kneel on their own.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #542
Bren
Forevernoob

all the gems could be powered (wirelessly hehe) by the cube. and that's why the cube is so important. maybe the gems are the only items that can properly utilise the cube's power? maybe the gems indivudually are quite weak (would explain the staff's lack of GENUINE power).

all speculation, I don't think it was the mind gem. nor do I think thanos would 'lend' it to loki.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #543
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
Just because they don't in the comics doesn't mean they can't change that for the movies
And we haven't seen the Gauntlet up close to see if all the gems are in there or not
Oh, they're all there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
all the gems could be powered (wirelessly hehe) by the cube. and that's why the cube is so important. maybe the gems are the only items that can properly utilise the cube's power? maybe the gems indivudually are quite weak (would explain the staff's lack of GENUINE power).

all speculation, I don't think it was the mind gem. nor do I think thanos would 'lend' it to loki.
Good theory. That might be another reason Thanos would want the Cube to go back to Asgard, if it's a key to activating the Gauntlet itself.

And you're absolutely right about Thanos not handing out Infinity Gems like candy. If the Gems are separate, and Thanos already has one or more of them, he *sure* as hell isn't about to start passing them out to underlings.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #544
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Avengers 2 to shoot in UK

Says shooting starts in early 2014.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #545
HUMANIMAL

Marvel Movies!

No official word from Kevin Feige, but a tweet from Marvel claims Robert Downey, Jr. will not return as Tony Stark in The Avengers 2!

Robert Downey Jr. Abandons AVENGERS 2, Marvel Names Replacement | Unleash The Fanboy
www.unleashthefanboy.comIt's time to raise a clenched fist into the air, and scream a very trite "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" into the morning's air. RDJ has abandoned Avengers 2 and Marvel....

MY FANART AND MANIPS
Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #546
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Aren't you a bit late by a day?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #547
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #548
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

April 2 isn't April Fools' Day: April 1st is.
If you're the one trying to prank: day late and a dollar short. If you're the one who fell for this: try checking the source link of any rumor you spot on the internet. (Hint: APRIL FOOLS)

Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #549
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

I'm News Editor for that site... It was an April Fools joke lol, but it went pretty viral on the site (with over 400 comments as of today) and on the net. with tons of people believing it.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #550
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

...Well that was disappointing.