The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #351
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream22 View Post
Like Warner Brothers with Man of Steel, Fox is waiting for the results of The Wolverine to give this reboot the green light.

So it looks like you can all keep hope alive until you all rush out to see Wolverine next month.
Do you have insider information to support this?

And how does the performance of a solo Wolverine movie completely unrelated to the Fantastic Four have any bearing on its future FF endeavors? That makes no sense to me. If they were waiting to see if they had the ability to reboot a franchise successfully, they would have thought it was proven in 2011.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #352
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Do you have insider information to support this?

And how does the performance of a solo Wolverine movie completely unrelated to the Fantastic Four have any bearing on its future FF endeavors? That makes no sense to me. If they were waiting to see if they had the ability to reboot a franchise successfully, they would have thought it was proven in 2011.
It might not make sense, but I think that's the kind of simplistic thinking you get with Fox. "Wolverine didn't do well, hmmmm, it couldn't be because we made a bad movie. It must be that this whole comic-book movie fad is coming to an end and people don't want to see superheroes anymore."

The previews for Wolverine don't do anything for me, but the things that are wrong with those previews are the things that would make me want to see FF.

Wolverine looks small and not visually interesting. We've seen it all before and there's nothing (at least from the previews) in Wolverine that looks fresh or interesting.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #353
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
It may be a case of FOX executives, already having committed $200 million or so to DOFP, wondering if it make sense to put another $200 million into a very risky FF reboot. A poor box office showing from The Wolverine may cause FOX to focus their resources into making sure the next X-Men film doesn't meet the same fate.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #354
fantastic fifth
...just in case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
It may be a case of FOX executives, already having committed $200 million or so to DOFP, wondering if it make sense to put another $200 million into a very risky FF reboot. A poor box office showing from The Wolverine may cause FOX to focus their resources into making sure the next X-Men film doesn't meet the same fate.
Hopefully, Fox will stall and think long enough for the FF to hop into the Fantasticar and fly right back to Marvel. Even though we may wait a while for a movie - I would feel like the they would finally be treated right.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #355
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Has it been stated that this film has that much of a budget - that does not sound like Fox as they usually low ball these films. I know X3 was $210 million, but the others have been much less - First Class having the largest budget of $160 million.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #356
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
Has it been stated that this film has that much of a budget - that does not sound like Fox as they usually low ball these films. I know X3 was $210 million, but the others have been much less - First Class having the largest budget of $160 million.
I think that this one will come in at least as high as the Avengers ($220 million per Box Office Mojo), if not a bit higher. You've got a large and very pricey cast - including Jackman, who was well aware of Downey's huge Avengers payday before signing on the dotted line. You also have multiple time settings, a dystopian future environment along with the swinging 70s. There likely will be enormous killer robots, and FOX has to match the spectacle put on screen in Avengers and Man of Steel. The film is also being shot in native 3-D, using the same technology James Cameron used in Avatar. It looks as though FOX is going "all-in" with this one.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #357
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Keep in mind, the article that started this hope that a poor showing for Wolverine could kill Fox's FF said that production was being pushed from mid-June to mid-July.

Wolverine's coming out July 26th so by the time the Wolverine results are known, FF should already be beyond the point of no-return.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #358
Crimz
Side-Kick

I'm praying that they give up on the reboot.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #359
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
It might not make sense, but I think that's the kind of simplistic thinking you get with Fox. "Wolverine didn't do well, hmmmm, it couldn't be because we made a bad movie. It must be that this whole comic-book movie fad is coming to an end and people don't want to see superheroes anymore."

The previews for Wolverine don't do anything for me, but the things that are wrong with those previews are the things that would make me want to see FF.

Wolverine looks small and not visually interesting. We've seen it all before and there's nothing (at least from the previews) in Wolverine that looks fresh or interesting.
Trailers/previews could be deceiving. A great example for this is Man of Steel who got a rotten rating in Rotten Tomatoes.

Even if the scale of The Wolverine looks small, but if the story-telling is good and the characters are well developed, it could still be a good movie.

Quote:
FOX should be smart not to give a $200 million into a very risky FF reboot.

75 million to 150 million would be a reasonable budget for the FF reboot.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #360
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
FOX should be smart not to give a $200 million into a very risky FF reboot.

75 million to 150 million would be a reasonable budget for the FF reboot.
75 million would be beyond insulting. That's even less that first F4. 150 million is decent by Fox's standards, but average by today's standards and F4 really needs to impress in terms of scale and wonder.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #361
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
I'm praying that they give up on the reboot.

yeah that's a good idea

HEY WE NEED MORE PRAYIN BABIES OVER HERE

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 06-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #362
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
75 million would be beyond insulting. That's even less that first F4. 150 million is decent by Fox's standards, but average by today's standards and F4 really needs to impress in terms of scale and wonder.
I hope Fox does give its FF reboot a $75 million budget. Then we can all point and laugh at the typically awful effects when it comes out.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #363
Gabe99
Side-Kick

CBM:
Stan Lee Says a SILVER SURFER Movie Could Eventually Be In The Works At Fox

MTV:
Wizard World NYC: Stan Lee Confirms Black Panther And Dr. Strange Movies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Sagers
Geek: What are some upcoming Marvel movies you know about and – because you’re partial to the Silver Surfer -- do you think he’ll ever get a standalone film?

Lee:
Well, let me put it to you this way: Back at Marvel, they are frantically looking for what is the next one they’re going to do. There is no way they won’t eventually do a Silver Surfer movie. It may not be for a few years because they’re thinking and working on Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy. Everything we have. And the fans seem to want all of them. But they’ll get around to a Silver Surfer feature because he’s a wonderful character.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #364
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

That title and this article is reaching with Silver Surfer.

Potential Username Suggestion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #365
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Stan Lee is a legend and a hell of a nice guy (as far as I've heard)...but I don't think he concerns himself too much with the intricacies of intellectual property rights contracts or film studio scheduling and future plans.

They guy invented countless iconic characters and is just pleased as punch to be involved in their translation to film in any way possible. He may be privy to some minor inside information or rumblings...but that's about it.

Stan would obviously love to see a Silver Surfer movie, but I strongly doubt that he's actually heard anything about one moving forward any time soon. He's simply voicing his excitement to see one. It appears that he's not even differentiating between Fox and Marvel Studios in his answer...and we know that Silver Surfer is at Fox right now.

ゴジラ
Old 07-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #366
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

So . . . what the heck happened to the reboot?

Because it seems like Fox is waffling yet again.

I still have hope Marvel gets FF back.

- CM Punk
Old 07-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #367
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
So . . . what the heck happened to the reboot?

Because it seems like Fox is waffling yet again.

I still have hope Marvel gets FF back.
You and everyone on this thread, but I think it's a false hope.

We'll probably hear something from the San Diego Comic Con (July 18th -21st?).

If not, that could be very good news, but I'd put the odds at less than 10% at this point that Marvel will get it. If we get nothing at Comic Con, I think that jumps our odds up to 30-40%, so keep your fingers crossed.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #368
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Yeah, I think if we don't get a big reveal at Comic Con in a couple of weeks then it could be on the road to Marvel.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #369
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Yeah, I think if we don't get a big reveal at Comic Con in a couple of weeks then it could be on the road to Marvel.
MARVEL gets FF & SS back & Vin Diesel as SS in an SS origin movie

Old 07-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #370
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
MARVEL gets FF & SS back & Vin Diesel as SS in an SS origin movie
Both Vin's body type and voice are all wrong for the Surfer, but he would make a "fantastic" Benjamin Grimm.

Hopefully Marvel keeps their purse open after the recent purchase of distribution rights to Paramount and throws a few bucks FOX's way for the FF.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #371
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The more properties that are back at Marvel, the better.

- CM Punk
Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #372
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
The more properties that are back at Marvel, the better.
I agree in principle, but I also disagree to an extent... If Marvel were ever able to get Spidey and X-Men back under its roof, on top of their ongoing and upcoming franchises, we would be getting fewer Marvel movies each year, every key franchise would have less frequent sequels (and actors would age more between movies), and we would certainly be getting fewer, if any, third-tier superhero movies like Dr. Strange and Black Panther down the road. So perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that Spidey and X-Men are at Sony and Fox, who can put out movies for each those characters every two years at least, while Marvel can keep chugging along with its Avengers characters and beyond. That said, one good Spidey movie and one good X-Men movie since 2004 does not automatically a Sony and Fox believer in me make.

The FF property, however, has been a mothball machine at Fox, Trank-attachment notwithstanding. Reverting to Marvel is its best bet at being handled properly--and being handled at all.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #373
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Not necessarily. Marvel Studios had some level of involvement in all these other movies as well.

Even with all the big franchises Marvel has now we are still seeing Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy as well.

- CM Punk
Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #374
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not necessarily. Marvel Studios had some level of involvement in all these other movies as well.

Even with all the big franchises Marvel has now we are still seeing Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy as well.
Actually, ever since Marvel started self-producing its own films in 2006 with Iron Man and TIH, they have had decidedly very little involvement with the Fox and Sony movies. What source do you have that shows otherwise? If they actually had to spend a measurable amount of energy or time working on the Spider-Man and X-Men movies, I doubt that we would be seeing them working at their current two-movies-a-year rate, and therefore we wouldn't be seeing Ant-Man and GOTG as early as we are. My point is that thanks to Fox and Sony, Marvel doesn't have to focus on those two major franchises, freeing them up to make lower tier superhero movies sooner. They're juggling four ongoing franchises right now, with more to come. Imagine if they were juggling the Spidey and X-Men franchises on top of that. Could we expect to see 4 Spidey movies within the span of 7 years, 3 X-Men films within the span 4 years, and still get the 2 non-Spidey/X-Men movies per year?

Last edited by spideymouse; 07-05-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #375
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
I agree in principle, but I also disagree to an extent... If Marvel were ever able to get Spidey and X-Men back under its roof, on top of their ongoing and upcoming franchises, we would be getting fewer Marvel movies each year, every key franchise would have less frequent sequels (and actors would age more between movies), and we would certainly be getting fewer, if any, third-tier superhero movies like Dr. Strange and Black Panther down the road. So perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that Spidey and X-Men are at Sony and Fox, who can put out movies for each those characters every two years at least, while Marvel can keep chugging along with its Avengers characters and beyond. That said, one good Spidey movie and one good X-Men movie since 2004 does not automatically a Sony and Fox believer in me make.

The FF property, however, has been a mothball machine at Fox, Trank-attachment notwithstanding. Reverting to Marvel is its best bet at being handled properly--and being handled at all.
not necessarily. Even today we rarely get 3 or more marvel films a year and If Marvel had ALL properties back, it's just more likely that a "Marvel Knights" type studio would open to handle smaller budgeted films, and films that push the R rating. There'd Be "Marvel Studios", "Marvel Knights" and possibly a minor studio housing Marvel Animation

we could potentially get 3-4 marvel films a year, which is essentially what we are getting now.

2014 is just a rare "fluke" year where we are getting 4 marvel films (2 marvel studios, Spidey, and X-men) 5 if you count Big Hero Six which i think has a 2014 release date?

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 07-05-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Closed Thread