The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Part

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
While this film clearly has a low level of enthusiasm (it could be passed by Mission Impossible 5 on the main page and fall into last place if the poll stays open long enough), I would have to think general interest in FF and the fact that this thing has been filming for 5 weeks and absolutely nobody has gotten anything would motivate some bloggers to get out there and get the story.
lmao even the paparazzi don't give a damn. :doh:

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Eddie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly
So anything come from the location filming today, or are we still in 'stealth' film mode?
There's this: https://twitter.com/Miles_Teller/sta...77038341021696

Although... Mr. Fantastic in a log cabin confirmed?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
There's this: https://twitter.com/Miles_Teller/sta...77038341021696

Although... Mr. Fantastic in a log cabin confirmed?
He's only made that joke two or three times now. What a genius.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 06-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Eddie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
He's only made that joke two or three times now. What a genius.
Ah, but first it was a car fan, then a stand up fan, and now a CEILING FAN! Pure genius!

Also, those are the only fans that were willing to have anything to do with Miles Teller. Even the desk fan couldn't approve of his current project, much less an actual Fantastic Four fan.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Pa

Responding to the earlier posts quoting me, and all I can say is, yeah, I won't care. There currently isn't an MCU movie I an eagerly anticipating besides A2. And by the poll on SHH, looks like people agree. Honestly the only popcorns I can definitively say I'll be watching are Avengers and Star Wars. And X-Men Apocalypse since that was my favorite CB series. Other things I will see after considering the merits of directors and actors involved, but honestly, I don't feel the need to go to the cineplex every month or so anymore. So I think I'm done for the summer and will be swayed only by tremendous reviews and WoM. So maybe I'm just getting older and have lost interest.

But my point is, I would have maintained that interest in the MCU had the FF been in the mix. Now they've become an after thought. It's sad really. Again, if Marvel feels GotG and InHumans is more profitable than FF then more power to them. I am not going to support that notion by buying those tickets.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Spiderine
Business as Usual

Default Re: The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Pa

Somebody help me out here......Should Fox actually release this film in 2015 is it going to take another seven years for the rights to revert? That is if no more films are made. We talking 2022? Right?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Responding to the earlier posts quoting me, and all I can say is, yeah, I won't care. There currently isn't an MCU movie I an eagerly anticipating besides A2. And by the poll on SHH, looks like people agree. Honestly the only popcorns I can definitively say I'll be watching are Avengers and Star Wars. And X-Men Apocalypse since that was my favorite CB series. Other things I will see after considering the merits of directors and actors involved, but honestly, I don't feel the need to go to the cineplex every month or so anymore. So I think I'm done for the summer and will be swayed only by tremendous reviews and WoM. So maybe I'm just getting older and have lost interest.

But my point is, I would have maintained that interest in the MCU had the FF been in the mix. Now they've become an after thought. It's sad really. Again, if Marvel feels GotG and InHumans is more profitable than FF then more power to them. I am not going to support that notion by buying those tickets.
Well I can't be the only one thinking this but why are you even posting here then?

"Lets all take a moment to laugh at the Miami Heat.

HAHAHAHA."-ESPN poster James Slattery
Old 06-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
GriffinSTatum
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
Somebody help me out here......Should Fox actually release this film in 2015 is it going to take another seven years for the rights to revert? That is if no more films are made. We talking 2022? Right?
Yes, and they already have a FF2 release date set for July 14th, 2017, so it would actually be 2024 if they make both movies. Of course, it could go like Ghost Rider 2 and the studio returns the property after milking it for what they can get.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post

Mr. M I feel you man when it comes to not having the FF in the MCU - I really do - but I just don't understand your ire towards Marvel at all. Fox isn't dealing. How can they get a property back that Fox doesn't want to give up? They are using the properties they have in their possession. I don't see what other option they have?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes that sounds about right. And based on Fox's track record it's pretty safe to assume they would drag it out to the bitter end even if they never intended to make an FF film ever again.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #13
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinSTatum View Post
Of course, it could go like Ghost Rider 2 and the studio returns the property after milking it for what they can get.
No way Fox does this. Look at how they handled Daredevil - it was down to the wire. Look at this production. A couple of months delay and the rights would have reverted. But here we are in "production" with Teller and co. walking around in T-shirts.

If FFINO 2015 fails I think most Marvel fans can safely assume that Fox will wait the full seven years before deciding what to do with the property again.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #14
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Yes that sounds about right. And based on Fox's track record it's pretty safe to assume they would drag it out to the bitter end even if they never intended to make an FF film ever again.
That's pretty messed up if you think about it and stupid on Fox's part. It's clear that Marvel and Sony have worked out some kind of deal with Spidey appearing in Avengers(trust me, it's going to happen)but for Fox to be so bull headed about their characters is crazy. It's amazing how most of Marvel's movies have crossed the $500M WW(except Cap 1 and TIH) line but only two of Fox's Marvel movies have. You'd think they'd be itching to cross over some kind of way just to increase their profits but they are just cutting off their noses to smite their faces. How dumb can you be?!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #15
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
No way Fox does this. Look at how they handled Daredevil - it was down to the wire. Look at this production. A couple of months delay and the rights would have reverted. But here we are in "production" with Teller and co. walking around in T-shirts.

If FFINO 2015 fails I think most Marvel fans can safely assume that Fox will wait the full seven years before deciding what to do with the property again.
I'm like Spideyboy, I don't think this is getting made. I think this is all just posturing to get money out of Disney and to be honest with you, I think Disney will end up paying for it. There's clearly a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #16
Spiderine
Business as Usual

Quote:
It really scares me that this may be what happens then. Fox may hold on to them even if this movie is a failure. I had such high hopes for an MCU Doom going up against other heroes as well as FF. I guess GOTG and Inhumans will fill the cosmic and mutant voids for Marvel. If GOTG becomes a hit Marvel may just let them hold on to the rights.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #17
Spiderine
Business as Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docker2.0 View Post
I'm like Spideyboy, I don't think this is getting made. I think this is all just posturing to get money out of Disney and to be honest with you, I think Disney will end up paying for it. There's clearly a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.
If that's the case we should be getting some type of info within weeks right? Isn't the deadline looming?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
Spiderine
Business as Usual

Quote:
That's pretty messed up if you think about it and stupid on Fox's part. It's clear that Marvel and Sony have worked out some kind of deal with Spidey appearing in Avengers(trust me, it's going to happen)but for Fox to be so bull headed about their characters is crazy. It's amazing how most of Marvel's movies have crossed the $500M WW(except Cap 1 and TIH) line but only two of Fox's Marvel movies have. You'd think they'd be itching to cross over some kind of way just to increase their profits but they are just cutting off their noses to smite their faces. How dumb can you be?!
What do you mean Sony and Disney worked out a deal?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #19
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Actually only DOFP has crossed the $500 million mark. It is the first Fox CBM to do so.

And I guarantee you if it wasn't for the MCU you never would've seen a film like that. Pro-Fox guys love to hate on Marvel Studios but if it wasn't for them lighting a fire under Fox's derriere they would have kept producing drivel like the last two FF films, Daredevil, Elektra, X-Men: Last Stand and XMO: Wolverine.

I remember an article back in '09 or '10 that said Disney lawyers were poring over the contracts trying to figure out how to recover these lost properties for Marvel. In particular, it was said that the ONE property they really wanted back was the Fantastic Four because it was not only signature Marvel but the theme of family was everything Disney was about. That same article basically said that Fox would never give up the rights and that Marvel would have to pry them from their cold dead hands. It would seem that things are playing out exactly that way.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #20
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
If that's the case we should be getting some type of info within weeks right? Isn't the deadline looming?
According to Willie Lumpkin, it should be around June 15(I agree with him)but as long as this thing is in production, who knows how long it will take and to be honest, I think that's Disney's/Marvel's frustration because as long as it's in production, it can delay those rights. I thought from day one, they wanted Disney to pay for the rights to revert and I think that's what is going to happen. No other franchise says Disney like Fantastic Four. I'm giving it until August before Fox "settles" on buying it back for like $500M.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #21
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
What do you mean Sony and Disney worked out a deal?
It's been reported that Spidey's BO numbers were not what Sony expected(they were expecting $1B+)so a couple of sites were reporting that Sony and Marvel worked out a deal for Spidey to be in A3, though I expect to see some sign of him in A2, though nothing is official yet. I don't know who's bright idea it was to expand the Spidey-verse and think it would work. It won't.
Quote:
Actually only DOFP has crossed the $500 million mark. It is the first Fox CBM to do so.

And I guarantee you if it wasn't for the MCU you never would've seen a film like that. Pro-Fox guys love to hate on Marvel Studios but if it wasn't for them lighting a fire under Fox's derriere they would have kept producing drivel like the last two FF films, Daredevil, Elektra, X-Men: Last Stand and XMO: Wolverine.

I remember an article back in '09 or '10 that said Disney lawyers were poring over the contracts trying to figure out how to recover these lost properties for Marvel. In particular, it was said that the ONE property they really wanted back was the Fantastic Four because it was not only signature Marvel but the theme of family was everything Disney was about. That same article basically said that Fox would never give up the rights and that Marvel would have to pry them from their cold dead hands. It would seem that things are playing out exactly that way.
Didn't the last stand make over $500M WW?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #22
Spiderine
Business as Usual

Quote:
According to Willie Lumpkin, it should be around June 15(I agree with him)but as long as this thing is in production, who knows how long it will take and to be honest, I think that's Disney's/Marvel's frustration because as long as it's in production, it can delay those rights. I thought from day one, they wanted Disney to pay for the rights to revert and I think that's what is going to happen. No other franchise says Disney like Fantastic Four. I'm giving it until August before Fox "settles" on buying it back for like $500M.
Fox would actually stand to make more money just selling it back than any profit from this movie. And maybe that's the plan. I bet its an astronomical price tag they are giving Disney. Disney probably won't budge.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #23
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
There's clearly a lot going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.
I'd agree with this. This whole production has been fishy from the start. But if there's a magic price Fox is willing to let the rights go for, it's clearly beyond their actual worth. Fox isn't dumb. They know these rights are worth more to Marvel than they are to them. It's like the FF are being held for ransom or something.

Disney is still in the hole on the 4 billion Marvel acquisition and another 4 billion on Star Wars. They have to make good on those investments or there are shareholders to answer to. They can't be fiscally irresponsible and throw money around everywhere.

So Fox is going to march forward. They have the leverage here. Meanwhile, any leverage Marvel has they are derided for trying to use.

I held hope for a long time that this thing wasn't happening because I really wanted the rights back at Marvel. Shoot I'm happy Fox is turning it around on X-Men. They can keep X-Men as long as they are making quality films. I just wanted FF back. People who aren't FF fans just don't understand how badly we want them home. But to keep hoping is punishment and I've accepted that Fox is really going to do this. And now because DOFP didn't suck, Fox is flavor of the week and suddenly I hear people saying they are excited for FF now ignoring all of the other massive red flags about this project.

It's depressing.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #24
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:

Didn't the last stand make over $500M WW?
Nah. It topped out at $459 million and change.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=x3.htm

Old 06-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #25
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Quote:
I'd agree with this. This whole production has been fishy from the start. But if there's a magic price Fox is willing to let the rights go for, it's clearly beyond their actual worth. Fox isn't dumb. They know these rights are worth more to Marvel than they are to them. It's like the FF are being held for ransom or something.

Disney is still in the hole on the 4 billion Marvel acquisition and another 4 billion on Star Wars. They have to make good on those investments or there are shareholders to answer to. They can't be fiscally irresponsible and throw money around everywhere.

So Fox is going to march forward. They have the leverage here. Meanwhile, any leverage Marvel has they are derided for trying to use.

I held hope for a long time that this thing wasn't happening because I really wanted the rights back at Marvel. Shoot I'm happy Fox is turning it around on X-Men. They can keep X-Men as long as they are making quality films. I just wanted FF back. People who aren't FF fans just don't understand how badly we want them home. But to keep hoping is punishment and I've accepted that Fox is really going to do this. And now because DOFP didn't suck, Fox is flavor of the week and suddenly I hear people saying they are excited for FF now ignoring all of the other massive red flags about this project.

It's depressing.
We agree on this. I have no problems with Fox keeping Xmen because I don't know how they can possibly exist in a world with the Avengers. But F4 belong with Disney and MS. Here's hoping something turns in Marvel's favor.
I will say that if A2 makes over $1B WW, then wouldn't that get Disney in the black with Marvel studios? IM3 made $1.5B and Avengers the same..............yeah you are right. Thor 2 "only" made $600M and Cap 2 "only" made $700M WW so that's only $3.2 B WW. A2 should get them over the hump. I'm not counting Guardians of the Galaxy because I don't know how that's going to turn out but my hope is at least $500M WW.

Closed Thread