The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Joelgarza
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Right behind you.
Posts: 69
Default High and dry.

I feel as though fox is being strategic in postponing promotion to let the fans cool off over the shock of the new direction they are taking the franchise.

When do you think that we will start to see some promotion?
Official images, plot details, teaser trailer, etc.

Has this happened with any past films and do you think it will help or hurt the franchise?

Joelgarza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
OriginalMiles
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cloud 9
Posts: 8,640
Default Re: High and dry.

They should at least reveal a pic of the four in costume.

OriginalMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
starscream22
Revert back2Marvel!
 
starscream22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,742
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelgarza View Post
I feel as though fox is being strategic in postponing promotion to let the fans cool off over the shock of the new direction they are taking the franchise.

When do you think that we will start to see some promotion?
Official images, plot details, teaser trailer, etc.

Has this happened with any past films and do you think it will help or hurt the franchise?
That logic will not help a reboot that most fans want to revert back to Marvel in the first place.

Plus Sin City had a better track record than Fox's previous F4 had yet that sequel still flopped going by the outta sight/outta mind "Strategy" and that had a better cast.

__________________
REVERT BACK TO MARVEL!!!!!
starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 52,690
Default Re: High and dry.

I don't think that 20th Century Fox is being strategic with their promotion of the new Fantastic Four movie. I think they know they have a stinker and potential bomb with this film and thus want to mitigate the costs involved with it. Typically, superhero AAA films would have far more promotion going for it at this point, especially since it's going to be less than a year when this film comes out. It's blatantly obvious that this film is being made simply so they can keep the rights.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 6,948
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I don't think that 20th Century Fox is being strategic with their promotion of the new Fantastic Four movie. I think they know they have a stinker and potential bomb with this film and thus want to mitigate the costs involved with it. Typically, superhero AAA films would have far more promotion going for it at this point, especially since it's going to be less than a year when this film comes out. It's blatantly obvious that this film is being made simply so they can keep the rights.
Yeah, I think it's similar to what we see shortly before the release of good films vs. bad. Good films get copies out to reviewers well before release. Bad films keep things under wraps until the last minute.

If the studio knows it won't be recieved well, they don't show much. It's simple and logical.

And if it is a strategy, it's an awful one. The negative opinions about this film juat continue to grow and there's not one bit if evidence to counter them.

__________________
Check out my best-selling Science Fiction novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
Orba
Side-Kick
 
Orba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,262
Default Re: High and dry.

Yup, I'm expecting to see an embargo on reviews until the release date.

Orba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
fantasticfan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 216
Default Re: High and dry.

Why should they even try to sway that group that wants the rights to revert to another corporation? It has been repeated over and over and over x10000 that this film will not be supported by that group EVER - even if it is a good film. Frankly I am getting tired of CBM "news" every day. Please, announcing films into the 2020's? I for one am looking forward to seeing a teaser around New Years, and trailers a few months before the movie. I find that as much as I would like to SEE something NOW, it will take away from the excitement when the movie is actually about to be released. It's like a kid finding Christmas presents 2 weeks before Christmas. You may be happy for a moment, but the ultimate feeling of surprise and anticipation is lost. I personally don't really like the trend of getting soooo much information when it comes to CBM's. Just because that's what people are getting used to from Marvel, doesn't mean every franchise has to follow, does it? I do not think it is a sign that the movie isn't going to be good. That's another leap that makes no sense to me. Just one opinion.

fantasticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 52,690
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasticfan View Post
Why should they even try to sway that group that wants the rights to revert to another corporation? It has been repeated over and over and over x10000 that this film will not be supported by that group EVER - even if it is a good film. Frankly I am getting tired of CBM "news" every day. Please, announcing films into the 2020's? I for one am looking forward to seeing a teaser around New Years, and trailers a few months before the movie. I find that as much as I would like to SEE something NOW, it will take away from the excitement when the movie is actually about to be released. It's like a kid finding Christmas presents 2 weeks before Christmas. You may be happy for a moment, but the ultimate feeling of surprise and anticipation is lost. I personally don't really like the trend of getting soooo much information when it comes to CBM's. Just because that's what people are getting used to from Marvel, doesn't mean every franchise has to follow, does it? I do not think it is a sign that the movie isn't going to be good. That's another leap that makes no sense to me. Just one opinion.
Except you do need the fans onboard for promotion. While the geek demographic cannot be solely counted on as we've seen with films like Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Dredd 3D, they are the ones who do spread the initial hype. The geek demographic are the ones who show excitement towards their non-geek friends and things go from there.

If the fans are hating on it from day one, it's just bad buzz for the film. It's bad buzz when the actors are coming out and acknowledging that they are disliked. Already I know of people who are not looking forward to this new Fantastic Four film simply because I am not looking forward to this Fantastic Four film, because I am the geeky one that is supposed to like this stuff. And if I don't like it, why should they?

Not only that but 20th Century Fox isn't even doing the most basic of promotions; and by the most basic, I mean the bare minimum. Things like a poster, promotional images, announcing the cast, some kind of promotion at conventions (not just comic conventions, but merchandising, promotional, etc.), and whatnot. We have nothing, we have minimal leaks, a cast and crew that are barely engaged, etc. This just looks bad, even without the fans hating on it. And when there is nothing out there to counter the bad image this film already has, it just further reinforces the negativity.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,820
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasticfan View Post
Why should they even try to sway that group that wants the rights to revert to another corporation? It has been repeated over and over and over x10000 that this film will not be supported by that group EVER - even if it is a good film. Frankly I am getting tired of CBM "news" every day. Please, announcing films into the 2020's? I for one am looking forward to seeing a teaser around New Years, and trailers a few months before the movie. I find that as much as I would like to SEE something NOW, it will take away from the excitement when the movie is actually about to be released. It's like a kid finding Christmas presents 2 weeks before Christmas. You may be happy for a moment, but the ultimate feeling of surprise and anticipation is lost. I personally don't really like the trend of getting soooo much information when it comes to CBM's. Just because that's what people are getting used to from Marvel, doesn't mean every franchise has to follow, does it? I do not think it is a sign that the movie isn't going to be good. That's another leap that makes no sense to me. Just one opinion.
Whoever said anything about placating the fanboys? I think most people have been long resigned to the fact that Fox could care less what they think. But if you want the general audience (the demographic they're supposedly catering to) to care about a low-budget reboot of an IP they cared little about the first time around, then starting your promotional run as early as possible would be probably a good idea.

Saitou Hajime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick
 
Kahran Ramsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 6,572
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasticfan View Post
Why should they even try to sway that group that wants the rights to revert to another corporation? It has been repeated over and over and over x10000 that this film will not be supported by that group EVER - even if it is a good film. Frankly I am getting tired of CBM "news" every day. Please, announcing films into the 2020's? I for one am looking forward to seeing a teaser around New Years, and trailers a few months before the movie. I find that as much as I would like to SEE something NOW, it will take away from the excitement when the movie is actually about to be released. It's like a kid finding Christmas presents 2 weeks before Christmas. You may be happy for a moment, but the ultimate feeling of surprise and anticipation is lost. I personally don't really like the trend of getting soooo much information when it comes to CBM's. Just because that's what people are getting used to from Marvel, doesn't mean every franchise has to follow, does it? I do not think it is a sign that the movie isn't going to be good. That's another leap that makes no sense to me. Just one opinion.
You do realize you are on a comic book movie forum, right?

It is quite easy to avoid all that (unless you are an admin on a comic book movie forum), just by not coming in threads like this and avoiding certain sites.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
fantasticfan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 216
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream22 View Post
That logic will not help a reboot that most fans want to revert back to Marvel in the first place.
I was really referring to this general statement. I am not sure what constitutes a fanboy technically, but if I were to see an amazing trailer for a movie in June for a movie coming out 2 months later in August, I would probably forget what my geek friend said about it, good or bad, 8 months earlier, and go see it for myself. But that's just me!

fantasticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 52,690
Default Re: High and dry.

I think that if there were making a good film first and foremost, most of the fanboy cries about the rights reverting back to Marvel would be quite muted. For example because The Wolverine was an entertaining film and X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Days of Future Past were pretty damn good films, most cries to get the X-Men back under the Marvel fold are rather nit-picky.

But when you have films that are rather poor like the Amazing Spider-Man 2 or looking to be trainwrecks like the Fantastic Four reboot, the cries for those properties to go back under the Marvel fold are going to be much, much louder. Especially when Marvel Studios is pumping out great film after great film after great film. The cries for going under the Marvel banner are really cries for quality. If Sony Pictures and 20th Century Fox are going to make crappy Spider-Man and Fantastic Four films, why should they be making them to begin with? Shouldn't the people who make good films be making the films instead?

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick
 
Mike Murdock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,312
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMiles View Post
They should at least reveal a pic of the four in costume.
I think there are some assumptions in this post. How about some official shots of the team at all?

__________________
Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 6,948
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
I think there are some assumptions in this post. How about some official shots of the team at all?
Heck, why get that ambitious? How about an official name for the film? Is even that asking too much?

We're not talking about 'marketing' here. We're talking about evidence that the studio gives more than zero f***s about this film.

A logo maybe? A photo of Josh Trank holding a current newspaper to prove he's still alive? We have more evidence that Kim Jung Un is still in charge of North Korea than we have that Josh Trank is still in charge of this film.

__________________
Check out my best-selling Science Fiction novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 10-17-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
Crimz
Side-Kick
 
Crimz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 478
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Heck, why get that ambitious? How about an official name for the film? Is even that asking too much?

We're not talking about 'marketing' here. We're talking about evidence that the studio gives more than zero f***s about this film.

A logo maybe? A photo of Josh Trank holding a current newspaper to prove he's still alive? We have more evidence that Kim Jung Un is still in charge of North Korea than we have that Josh Trank is still in charge of this film.
The scary thing is, is that you are not exaggerating one bit.

Crimz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #16
fantasticfan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 216
Default Re: High and dry.

I know where I am. I enjoy reading most CBM discussion very much. My point is that I feel like not all, but certainly a lot of "information" that is put out there as "news" isn't based upon actual facts. A studio releases a set photo of an actor in plain clothes after the first day of principal photography and suddenly the movie is amazing. A photo of a cgi form is "leaked" and the movie is garbage. I just don't think it is fair.

fantasticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #17
Nokio
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,418
Default Re: High and dry.

FOX isn't smart enough or have the imagination to position the F4 film as some kind of strategic promotional event . This film is coming out in the summer and nothing is being reported??? No pics no info, nothing. Who holds this type of movie in secret for this long. Fox also has Xmen: Apocalypse and we've been getting info on that film and it's two summers away. Something is going on with F4. I can't say for sure that it's dreadful but I suspect FOX has seen the film and is concerned.

Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:27 AM   #18
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband
 
Willie Lumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 6,948
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasticfan View Post
I know where I am. I enjoy reading most CBM discussion very much. My point is that I feel like not all, but certainly a lot of "information" that is put out there as "news" isn't based upon actual facts. A studio releases a set photo of an actor in plain clothes after the first day of principal photography and suddenly the movie is amazing. A photo of a cgi form is "leaked" and the movie is garbage. I just don't think it is fair.
It's not supposed to be 'fair'. It's about someone who has something to sell convincing their potential customers that product is worth buying.

Every competitive film has done a better job of convincing their fans that their film is worth looking forward to.

What faith can we, as Fantastic Four fans, have that the studio will perform the enormous task of doing justice to the FF when they can't even do the simplest things right?

If you want to blame someone, don't blame the naysayers. Blame the studio for not giving those who want to believe this will be a good film anything to counter the naysayers.

__________________
Check out my best-selling Science Fiction novel: Land of Nod, The Artifact

Last edited by Willie Lumpkin; 10-18-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Willie Lumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
Spiderine
Sho nuff
 
Spiderine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 4,228
Default Re: High and dry.

It almost feels like they are ashamed of this film so the less anyone knows about it the better. If anything regarding costumes, story synopsis, or clips or posters were released and they are given largely negative reception by fans then thats already one big nail in the coffin.
The General audiences will hear the criticism of a film thats already a risky reboot anyways. We know how people respond to reboots. This is a reboot of two unpopular FF movies.

Honestly whatever the hell they are doing won't work either. But at least FOX got seven more years to **** with Disney. Right?

Spiderine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
starscream22
Revert back2Marvel!
 
starscream22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,742
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasticfan View Post
I was really referring to this general statement. I am not sure what constitutes a fanboy technically, but if I were to see an amazing trailer for a movie in June for a movie coming out 2 months later in August, I would probably forget what my geek friend said about it, good or bad, 8 months earlier, and go see it for myself. But that's just me!
Considering the fact that you have to use negative terms like "fanboy" or "geek" to invalidate a person's comment on the subject. I hope that it is just you!

__________________
REVERT BACK TO MARVEL!!!!!
starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #21
starscream22
Revert back2Marvel!
 
starscream22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,742
Default Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
It's not supposed to be 'fair'. It's about someone who has something to sell convincing their potential customers that product is worth buying.

Every competitive film has done a better job of convincing their fans that their film is worth looking forward to.

What faith can we, as Fantastic Four fans, have that the studio will perform the enormous task of doing justice to the FF when they can't even do the simplest things right?

If you want to blame someone, don't blame the naysayers. Blame the studio for not giving those who want to believe this will be a good film anything to counter the naysayers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderine View Post
It almost feels like they are ashamed of this film so the less anyone knows about it the better. If anything regarding costumes, story synopsis, or clips or posters were released and they are given largely negative reception by fans then thats already one big nail in the coffin.
The General audiences will hear the criticism of a film thats already a risky reboot anyways. We know how people respond to reboots. This is a reboot of two unpopular FF movies.

Honestly whatever the hell they are doing won't work either. But at least FOX got seven more years to **** with Disney. Right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
Heck, why get that ambitious? How about an official name for the film? Is even that asking too much?

We're not talking about 'marketing' here. We're talking about evidence that the studio gives more than zero f***s about this film.

A logo maybe? A photo of Josh Trank holding a current newspaper to prove he's still alive? We have more evidence that Kim Jung Un is still in charge of North Korea than we have that Josh Trank is still in charge of this film.

Thank you!

What cracks me up is that any acknowledgement of the obvious is quickly refuted with "Fanboy this" and "geek that..." And when all else fails its, "Waaa, why won't you guys just stop typing until Fox starts acting like they give a crap so that I'll have a credible argument!?"

NO!



Out of the 40+ CBM's releasing in the next 6 years this reboot and its presumptuous sequel are the LEAST interesting. So the idea that Fox pushed this back with hopes that people will forget the angst by Aug 8, 2015 simply isn't logical.

Unlike TMNT, or Bayformers. There's no cartoon the kids previously related to or old school toy line that this reboot can refer back to.

__________________
REVERT BACK TO MARVEL!!!!!
starscream22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #22
fantasticfan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 216
Th Frown Re: High and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Except you do need the fans onboard for promotion. While the geek demographic cannot be solely counted on as we've seen with films like Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Dredd 3D, they are the ones who do spread the initial hype. The geek demographic are the ones who show excitement towards their non-geek friends and things go from there.

If the fans are hating on it from day one, it's just bad buzz for the film. It's bad buzz when the actors are coming out and acknowledging that they are disliked. Already I know of people who are not looking forward to this new Fantastic Four film simply because I am not looking forward to this Fantastic Four film, because I am the geeky one that is supposed to like this stuff. And if I don't like it, why should they?
Whoever said anything about placating the fanboys? I think most people have been long resigned to the fact that Fox could care less what they think. But if you want the general audience (the demographic they're supposedly catering to) to care about a low-budget reboot of an IP they cared little about the first time around, then starting your promotional run as early as possible would be probably a good idea. - also a quote directed toward my comment.




I didn't use either word until they were used in comments directed toward my posts. And, I didn't know they were "negative" terms. Sorry to offend you!

fantasticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #23
Spidey's Curse
!@#$*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 87
Default Re: High and dry.

that superhero movies list scares me. its like a bubble just waiting to burst.

Spidey's Curse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #24
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold
 
SoNicRaDiATioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,981
Default Re: High and dry.

^^
Yup. Too much of a good thing.

__________________
the interhate sponge
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #25
fantasticfan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 216
Default Re: High and dry.

yup

fantasticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.