The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #301
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Default Re: "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
I'll admit I'm not real up on the latest celebrities, but are these 'big names' like they said they were looking for for Doom?

No.

What the heck these guys are up for Dr Doom?

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #302
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Default Re: "I am Doom...What Gods Dare Stand Against Me"---The official Dr. Doom Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Oh, come on. You make magic armor out of your childhood sweetheart's skin ONE TIME and they never let you forget it.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #303
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikePirado View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Out of those four I would choose the 1st one in that lineup. Sam Riley.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #304
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post

I didn't say he was nice.
So, why is Doom looking nice a benefit? Even before the accident, Victor Von Doom was mean to strangers and talked to everyone as if they were idiots. Him looking happy and nice under cuts that and makes it hard to take him seriously! I'd rather he look sinister than like a Weasley brother!!!!

Oh, wait...he played Ron Weasley's brother.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Oh, come on. You make magic armor out of your childhood sweetheart's skin ONE TIME and they never let you forget it.
Or put spells on people's children that you name after said sweetheart that you made a skin armor out of. But who is counting?

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #305
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
So, why is Doom looking nice a benefit? Even before the accident, Victor Von Doom was mean to strangers and talked to everyone as if they were idiots. Him looking happy and nice under cuts that and makes it hard to take him seriously! I'd rather he look sinister than like a Weasley brother!!!!
It doesn't undercut it, it emphasizes it. The face of an angel, the heart of the devil. It's pretty classic contrast. Contrast like that is a very basic and effective way of making a character more interesting.. A bad guy who looks and carries himself like a bad guy is boring. A bad guy who looks and carries himself like a good guy is engaging.

Besides, if he always looked like a sinister monster, it kind of makes the whole thing of him becoming horribly scarred and hiding his deformity behind a frightening metal mask a little pointless.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #306
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
It doesn't undercut it, it emphasizes it. The face of an angel, the heart of the devil. It's pretty classic contrast. Contrast like that is a very basic and effective way of making a character interesting and engaging. A bad guy who looks and carries himself like a bad guy is boring. A bad guy who looks and carries himself like a good guy is engaging.

Besides, if he always looked like a sinister monster, it kind of makes the whole thing of him becoming horribly scarred and hiding his deformity behind a frightening metal mask a little pointless.
That would be ok, if you were writing a movie about 4 people and a villain that no one knew anything about and had not read about for over 50 years. But you aren't....what you described IS NOT DOOM. Plain and simple. Doom does not give a crap about being engaging.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #307
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
That would be ok, if you were writing a movie about 4 people and a villain that no one knew anything about and had not read about for over 50 years. But you aren't....what you described IS NOT DOOM. Plain and simple. Doom does not give a crap about being engaging.
I wasn't talking about Doom's motivations. I was talking about the director and the actor making the character engaging for the audience.

And how is what I described not Doom? Back in college he was a handsome and well liked guy, but the whole time he had this terrible darkness inside of him. Now, years later, that darkness has come to the surface as a horrible destructive and dominating force.

Having him seem nice and charming and affable and generally good looking before he goes down the road that leads him to the Latverian throne is, I think, just as valid an interpretation of that arc as having him be some smoldering, sinister looking fellow. There's more than one way you can adapt a character that still stays true to what that character is about.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #308
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
It doesn't undercut it, it emphasizes it. The face of an angel, the heart of the devil. It's pretty classic contrast. Contrast like that is a very basic and effective way of making a character more interesting.. A bad guy who looks and carries himself like a bad guy is boring. A bad guy who looks and carries himself like a good guy is engaging.

Doom DOES consider himsefl a good guy. But, he shouldn't look like a Weasley brother. That simply isn't Doom. Doom is CLEARLY a villain. He doesn't see it that way. THAT is Doom's contrast. He doesn't have an angel face, he has the face of a devil, but believes himself an angel.

Your idea works for other characters or other villains. However, that isn't Dr. Doom. The scars are not supposed to be some corruption of an angel or a revealing of his true nature. The scars are the result of his own arrogance. He doesn't even see the scars as his fault! It shows how blind he is!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #309
The Question

Quote:
Doom DOES consider himsefl a good guy. But, he shouldn't look like a Weasley brother. That simply isn't Doom. Doom is CLEARLY a villain. He doesn't see it that way. THAT is Doom's contrast. He doesn't have an angel face, he has the face of a devil, but believes himself an angel.

Your idea works for other characters or other villains. However, that isn't Dr. Doom. The scars are not supposed to be some corruption of an angel or a revealing of his true nature. The scars are the result of his own arrogance. He doesn't even see the scars as his fault! It shows how blind he is!
I never said Doom didn't consider himself a good guy.

True, the scars are his own fault. But it's less of a poetic justice if he already looked villainous before he got the scars. He's supposed to be good looking before his accident. A good looking guy. Through his own hubris, he scars himself, and in doing so reveals a reflection of what he's really like underneath. I don't see how that doesn't count as Doom.

Plus, having Doom clearly and obviously be a villain based on his appearance before he has an accident is juts kind of dull. It gives everything away and it does the work of sorting through the information of the story for the audience when they should be doing it themselves. He looks like a good guy, carries himself like a good guy, and thinks he's a good guy, but he's not, and everything he does to realize the good person he sees himself as simply reveals his inner corruption more and more to the world. That's interesting, and I don't see how that isn't Doctor Doom.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #310
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I wasn't talking about Doom's motivations. I was talking about the director and the actor making the character engaging for the audience.

And how is what I described not Doom? Back in college he was a handsome and well liked guy, but the whole time he had this terrible darkness inside of him. Now, years later, that darkness has come to the surface as a horrible destructive and dominating force.

Having him seem nice and charming and affable and generally good looking before he goes down the road that leads him to the Latverian throne is, I think, just as valid an interpretation of that arc as having him be some smoldering, sinister looking fellow. There's more than one way you can adapt a character that still stays true to what that character is about.
OK, I'll take your interpretation and it may come off well, but I don't see it as Doom....I see it as a villain that has been done 100's of times over the years. Next to the word Arrogant in the dictionary should be a picture of Doom, and I just don't see that in that particular actor in those choices. I do see it "possibly" in the first one...

Who knows....

Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #311
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:

the general audience don't know Doom.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #312
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I never said Doom didn't consider himself a good guy.

True, the scars are his own fault. But it's less of a poetic justice if he already looked villainous before he got the scars. He's supposed to be good looking before his accident. A good looking guy. Through his own hubris, he scars himself, and in doing so reveals a reflection of what he's really like underneath. I don't see how that doesn't count as Doom.

Plus, having Doom clearly and obviously be a villain based on his appearance before he has an accident is juts kind of dull. It gives everything away and it does the work of sorting through the information of the story for the audience when they should be doing it themselves. He looks like a good guy, carries himself like a good guy, and thinks he's a good guy, but he's not, and everything he does to realize the good person he sees himself as simply reveals his inner corruption more and more to the world. That's interesting, and I don't see how that isn't Doctor Doom.
I'm just going to cut this debate short and say I don't agree. I see this becoming another argument of circles. I'm not biting this time. Suffice to say, my vision of Dr. Doom is not Ron Weasley's older brother.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #313
The Question

Quote:
OK, I'll take your interpretation and it may come off well, but I don't see it as Doom....I see it as a villain that has been done 100's of times over the years. Next to the word Arrogant in the dictionary should be a picture of Doom, and I just don't see that in that particular actor in those choices. I do see it "possibly" in the first one...

Who knows....
I don't see how what I'm talking about precludes the character's arrogance. Arrogance is a quality of how people think and behave, it isn't a physical quality.

Quote:
I'm just going to cut this debate short and say I don't agree. I see this becoming another argument of circles. I'm not biting this time. Suffice to say, my vision of Dr. Doom is not Ron Weasley's older brother.
Okay.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #314
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Oh, I think an "air of arrogance" comes from within, and shows in appearance once it completely takes over, so we will have to agree to disagree with that one.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #315
Ant-manic
Banned User

Theo James should be Doom.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #316
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
Theo James should be Doom.
I could see that, and actually since we are going with a younger cast....I would have seen him as Reed as well.

Hell, lets take the whole cast of Divergent.....

Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #317
Ant-manic
Banned User

i was just kidding about James. i'm holding out for female Doom.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #318
The Question

Quote:
Oh, I think an "air of arrogance" comes from within, and shows in appearance once it completely takes over, so we will have to agree to disagree with that one.
But it doesn't show in their actual physical appearance. It shows in how they behave. The structure of the person's face isn't really a factor.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #319
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Agreeing to disagree.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #320
The Question

Quote:
Agreeing to disagree.
I don't see how it's an agree to disagree thing. Either being arrogant actually changes your physical features or it doesn't. Biology isn't exactly subjective.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #321
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I don't see how it's an agree to disagree thing. Either being arrogant actually changes your physical features or it doesn't. Biology isn't exactly subjective.
LOL...

I disagree, moving on. Really........ moving on.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #322
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

oh look, more horrible casting

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #323
Tony Clifton
Side-Kick

Hello everyone,

I dont post much but after seeing the casting possibilites for Dr. Doom, just wanted to say if it ends up as being Sam Riely, I think a lot of people will be surprised how well he performs in the role. He was amazing in the film Control, a biopic of Joy Division's front man Ian Curtis, truly amazing in the role. I truly believe he would knock this out of the park. But just my opinion!

Tony Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #324
VICTORVONDOOMX
Never tell me the odds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
the general audience don't know Doom.
And they never will if posters like you get their way.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #325
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORVONDOOMX View Post
And they never will if posters like you get their way.
posters like me?