The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 07-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #101
Brian2887
Nerd.

Default Re: "It's Clobberin' Time!" - The Ben "Thing" Grimm Thread

I dunno if anyone has seen Midnight in Paris, but Corey Stoll (who played Ernest Hemingway) would be such an amazing Ben Grimm. He had toughness and bravado out the yang, but definitely can pull off the vulnerability needed.

He's also been in House of Cards, Salt, The Bourne Legacy, and Push.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #102
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian2887 View Post
I dunno if anyone has seen Midnight in Paris, but Corey Stoll (who played Ernest Hemingway) would be such an amazing Ben Grimm. He had toughness and bravado out the yang, but definitely can pull off the vulnerability needed.

He's also been in House of Cards, Salt, The Bourne Legacy, and Push.

Interesting! We just finished watching House of Cards, and he was great in that, but even though his character was from Philadelphia (I'm just outside of Philly myself) he didn't really seem like someone from here. That makes me wonder if he could pull off the Lower East Side attitude needed for Ben.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #103
eon001
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
Bobby Cannavale!

SO much win in this ^^^^ We need to start tweeting Josh Trank with this casting choice asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
But he did not look "completely real" - it was not bad, but not totally real...

Brian Steel, the guy who was in the Wink suit in HB2 is pretty tall - much taller than the Thing is suppose to be [remember he's shorter than Reed] but since some of you want him taller for some reason, then Brian would be a good choice. He's had lots of suit and prosthetic experience...
I don't think it's necessary to get a "real" look for a fantasy character like the Thing. The Hulk didn't look "real", but the effects were good enough to suspend your disbelief.

eon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #104
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon001 View Post
SO much win in this ^^^^ We need to start tweeting Josh Trank with this casting choice asap.

I don't think it's necessary to get a "real" look for a fantasy character like the Thing. The Hulk didn't look "real", but the effects were good enough to suspend your disbelief.
I think you are taking my statement out of context. Someone was suggesting that the digital apes in the last POTA movie looked "completely" real, and thus digital was the way to go for the Thing, and I did not agree.

I do agree with you that a fantasy character like the Thing does not have to look 100% real to work. I think this was a mistake made with the coloring and some design choices of the Thing in the first FF, and when they went with a more "comic book" color scheme in FF2 it worked much better.

Practical or digital, a character like the Thing is never going to look "real" - but you can select a technique that will give you the most satisfactory results. Sure digital fxs can look fantastic, but they can also look like crap - like the vampires in I AM LEGEND. Trying to do a character like Hellboy or Abe as a digital effect for the entire film is very cost prohibitive and thus far Fox has not been willing to commit that kind of cash. HB used digital doubles when necessary and that work just fine, no reason it would not work for the Thing. Come to think of it, the FF movies used digital doubles for the Thing when necessary, too.

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #105
Project862006
Banned User

you know who would be a good ben

John Bernthal he has that tough new york city vibe about him and he is also jewish

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #106
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

How's his voice?

Are we still going for someone with a deep voice or they'll change it after filming or...?

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #107
Airwings
Waves of air

Devon Sawa could work!
After all, he used to be "the thing" back in the days.

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #108
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

They ain't going with an obvious chioice this time around. It'll be someone we weren't expecting.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #109
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

I'm thinking of "Hank" from Breaking Bad. Too lazy to check out his name. He's awesome. #teamhank

Tehmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #110
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

Dean Norris? that's a pretty good choice.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #111
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

My number one is still David Boreanaz, but for some reason I'm really liking Jensen Ackles for the role as well.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #112
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehmeh View Post
I'm thinking of "Hank" from Breaking Bad. Too lazy to check out his name. He's awesome. #teamhank
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAQU4M4N View Post
Dean Norris? that's a pretty good choice.
Great actor but too old, too short, too fat and too bald in my opinion.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #113
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Funny how bald guys keep coming up for Ben - Chiklis should have worn a wig for his first scenes as Ben in the first FF.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #114
terry78

Ben Grimm was not bald before the change. He was a somewhat ruggedly handsome dude, which made it all the more ironic.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #115
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Funny how bald guys keep coming up for Ben - Chiklis should have worn a wig for his first scenes as Ben in the first FF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Ben Grimm was not bald before the change. He was a somewhat ruggedly handsome dude, which made it all the more ironic.
What concerns me about that idea is I think it's just a symptom of the broader problem - that people associate these characters more with the first two films than the comics.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #116
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
What concerns me about that idea is I think it's just a symptom of the broader problem - that people associate these characters more with the first two films than the comics.
To be fair, most of the time in the comics, the thing is big and orange and rocky. So his regular look isnt seen all that often.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #117
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
To be fair, most of the time in the comics, the thing is big and orange and rocky. So his regular look isnt seen all that often.
True. And because of that, I didn't mind that Chiklis wasn't really right and I wouldn't be overly concerned if they choose someone for this one who doesn't look right.

But I do see many comments and casting choices on here that show people are more familiar with the film versions than the comic versions.

That's understandable - even though the films didn't make huge bucks, there are a lot of people that saw them in theaters or on TV who never picked up a comic book.

So it's understandable, but still a little scary.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #118
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
^exactly

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #119
terry78

Which is why I'm saying they actually could find somebody whose kind of a pretty boy with a gruff edge to them, like Ackles. Not saying I want him, but he's in the ballpark.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #120
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lumpkin View Post
True. And because of that, I didn't mind that Chiklis wasn't really right and I wouldn't be overly concerned if they choose someone for this one who doesn't look right.

But I do see many comments and casting choices on here that show people are more familiar with the film versions than the comic versions.

That's understandable - even though the films didn't make huge bucks, there are a lot of people that saw them in theaters or on TV who never picked up a comic book.

So it's understandable, but still a little scary.
Chiklis would have been perfect for the guy from #51 - This Man, This Monster - who steals the Thing's powers.

Likewise Jessica Alba would have made a better Crystal than Sue Storm.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #121
fangz
Side-Kick

actors being bald or having hair
and the characters they are playing being bald or having hair are two totally separate things anyways.

goatees are like this too. Dr Strange has a goatee. or something similar, i don't know all the specific nicknames for facial hairs, but let's just say it's a goatee.
so usually on fancasts, who comes up? actors who at some point have been photographed having a goatee.

the guy who played Jonah Jameson in Raimi's Spider-Man movies is naturally bald.
almost universally, this is viewed as one of the most perfect castings in comic book movies.

Last edited by fangz; 09-16-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Jonah Hameson
fangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #122
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangz View Post
actors being bald or having hair
and the characters they are playing being bald or having hair are two totally separate things anyways.

goatees are like this too. Dr Strange has a goatee. or something similar, i don't know all the specific nicknames for facial hairs, but let's just say it's a goatee.
so usually on fancasts, who comes up? actors who at some point have been photographed having a goatee.

the guy who played Jonah Jameson in Raimi's Spider-Man movies is naturally bald.
almost universally, this is viewed as one of the most perfect castings in comic book movies.
true - but they put the classic JJJ hair on him - they did not do this with MC as Ben Grimm.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #123
Willie Lumpkin
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Chiklis would have been perfect for the guy from #51 - This Man, This Monster - who steals the Thing's powers.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #124
fangz
Side-Kick

Quote:
true - but they put the classic JJJ hair on him - they did not do this with MC as Ben Grimm.
oh yeah, i'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying about Ben having hair, I was responding more to how earlier there was talk about how lots of bald actors were being brought up and that it was probably becuz of Chiklis playing him last time, and Chiklis being bald. which is probably true. that and just the fact that certain personality types are often portrayed as bald guys.

And I just meant that whether an actor has hair or not is one of the easiest things in the world to change. make someone bald, make them not bald. give someone a goatee. shave their goatee off. whatever. I actually agree that Ben Grimm should have hair on his head.

fangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #125
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

I always thought Chris Bauer (Andy from true Blood) would make a great Ben Grimm. He's not a pretty boy (rugged looks), got the gruff voice, and has an awkward charm about him that'd suit Ben well.

Slap a toupe on him I'd be good with him as The Thing.