The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #201
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Default Re: "Flame On!" The Human Torch Thread

Michael B. Jordan as a Johnny Storm? Whoa, that would be a HUGE game changer, so this gets me beyond excited.

Would they go even further and make Sue Storm African-American? Man, that would be huge to have two Af-Am leads in a big superhero movie.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #202
Spider - Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrediblejeff View Post
As I expected people are overreacting,and were getting the usual White Black Panther analogies.All superheroes are gonna be black now .It's not even official people it's a rumor.And a black Human Torch would not be the worst thing to happen to FF.
Correct, that was a black director.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #203
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But at least Fox tried to make Alba look vaguely related to Evans, and she had the blonde hair.
I think they over did it trying to make Alba look more waspy in the 2nd movie.

The blue contacts, blonde hair, and white powder make up reminded me of the waynes brothers in white chicks

Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #204
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
Correct, that was a black director.
You're just an unashamed bigot, huh?

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #205
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
Here's the deal, character likes Black Panther or Luke Cage HAVE to be black. They are, for better or worse, defined by their race. There story would cease to make sense if they are white.

Johnny Storm, along with many other superheros, is not defined by race. He is a young handsome, head strong kid. He can be white, black, orange or purple. His race, besides the coloring in a comic book, is not important. Michael B. Jordan is a fantastic young actor, who could pull of Johnny Storm in a heart beat. Cast him now.
Agreed. No where is it indicted that ANY member of the Fantastic Four is defined by their race like Black Panther and Luke Cage are. There really shouldn't be an issue if him and Sue are adopted siblings. But again, comic book "purist" can't see beyond race as the character doesn't look like them anymore so its an issue. But why are we really discussing it, they will back down when these "purist" start boycott threads and what not to Fox.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #206
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
& changing Johnny Storm is not which would still effect the rest of this team ? Sounds like double standards if you ask me
How would it affect other team members, besides Sue?

How would it concievably affect the Ben and Reed characters?

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #207
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Look at Fox. Haven't even casted anyone yet and already playing with fire. Pun intended.

If you make Johnny black, obviously Sue has to be black. I can't even begin to discuss ramifications of making Johnny adopted or just making him her figurative "brotha" LOLOLOL.

Anyway. It kinda damages the aesthetic if two of the team members are a different race. I won't condemn the film for just that, but it's not a safe move. It would be safer to make Ben black. As he's in his human form for less time, and then its only one person instead of two.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #208
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Here's the deal, character likes Black Panther or Luke Cage HAVE to be black. They are, for better or worse, defined by their race. There story would cease to make sense if they are white.

Johnny Storm, along with many other superheros, is not defined by race. He is a young handsome, head strong kid. He can be white, black, orange or purple. His race, besides the coloring in a comic book, is not important. Michael B. Jordan is a fantastic young actor, who could pull of Johnny Storm in a heart beat. Cast him now.
Black Panther has to be Black, but Luke Cage doesn't HAVE to be. John Cena could play Luke Cage as a White kid who grew up in the inner city and dealt with gangs so that isn't as far-fetched as a White guy being king of a tribal African nation.

Johnny Storm isn't an inherently White character. He's just been portrayed that way. The only characters I can think of who'd HAVE to absolutely be White is Red Skull and his Nazi crew. Otherwise, EVERYTHING is fair game.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #209
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

The thing that's the funniest is that the person who made this casting decision, director Josh Trank, is white.

Not only that, he's an FF fan.

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #210
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Well, the Red Skull obviously has to be red.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #211
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Look at Fox. Haven't even casted anyone yet and already playing with fire. Pun intended.

If you make Johnny black, obviously Sue has to be black. I can't even begin to discuss ramifications of making Johnny adopted or just making him her figurative "brotha" LOLOLOL.

Anyway. It kinda damages the aesthetic if two of the team members are a different race. I won't condemn the film for just that, but it's not a safe move. It would be safer to make Ben black. As he's in his human form for less time, and then its only one person instead of two.
Johnny could absolutely be Sue's adopted brother.

That's actually not a bad idea at all. Surely, adopted children can be as close to each other as blood-related siblings.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #212
Spider - Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
You're just an unashamed bigot, huh?
I would love to hear your explanation for this comment.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #213
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Uhm, sorry but WTF?!? How in the hell does Sue & Johnny both being African-American (or even one being Af-Am and one being Caucasian) damage the aesthetic of the film? Because racist fanboys won't be able to look up to some big, kick-ass white guy?

Sue, Johnny or even Reed or Ben's race has absolutely no ramifications on their personalities, stories or origins, nor does them being white define who they are as people in any way. How would them being a different race change or or damage the story or the characters in any way?

You're pretty much implying that if Sue and Johnny were African-American, that the four somehow couldn't work together as a team simply because of the difference in race? Really?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #214
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:

Why are people failing to realize they could BOTH be foster/adopted children. jeez.

and it's VERY likely the route being taken because the actress that was recently announced to be on the shortlist is white.

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 05-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #215
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, the Red Skull obviously has to be red.

Obviously...

Old 05-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #216
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

In my opinion it puts a really weird spin on the two characters. And now giving it some thought I wouldn't say I hate the idea of making him adopted.

Does it put a negative spin on the character making the "only black guy adopted?"

idk whats considered racial prejudice these days ;/ jkjk

Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #217
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
In my opinion it puts a really weird spin on the two characters. And now giving it some thought I wouldn't say I hate the idea of making him adopted.

Does it put a negative spin on the character making the "only black guy adopted?"

idk whats considered racial prejudice these days ;/ jkjk

LMFAO! I'm Black and it's absolutely not racist to make the only Black character adopted. Or hell, maybe Sue Storm gets adopted by a Black family. WTH.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #218
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Why are people failing to realize they could BOTH be foster/adopted children. jeez.

and it's VERY likely the route being taken because the actress that was recently announced to be on the shortlist is white.

^^^^!!!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #219
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Uhm, sorry but WTF?!? How in the hell does Sue & Johnny both being African-American (or even one being Af-Am and one being Caucasian) damage the aesthetic of the film? Because racist fanboys won't be able to look up to some big, kick-ass white guy?

Sue, Johnny or even Reed or Ben's race has absolutely no ramifications on their personalities, stories or origins, nor does them being white define who they are as people in any way. How would them being a different race change or or damage the story or the characters in any way?

You're pretty much implying that if Sue and Johnny were African-American, that the four somehow couldn't work together as a team simply because of the difference in race? Really?
NO that's not at all what I'm saying. And you are assuming a hell of a lot about my opinions of people because of their skin color. I am saying that PURELY AESTHETICALLY Fox is risking damaging how the audience sees the team.

It has nothing to do with who the actor is or how good he is. It has to do with 80 years of comics that tell me that the team looks one way and casting him another way.

I can't believe how hypersensitive people are about race and image on these forums. It's Shailene Woodley all over again. Ugh.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #220
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

I think a lot of us knew news like this would bring out some closet or blatant bigotry. Some of these responses don't surprise me at all.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 05-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #221
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeverea View Post
LMFAO! I'm Black and it's absolutely not racist to make the only Black character adopted. Or hell, maybe Sue Storm gets adopted by a Black family. WTH.
Or as I keep saying, they are BOTH foster children who've been together their entire lives and/or were adopted by the same family at a very young age.

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 05-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #222
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeverea View Post
True. Good point. Maybe Sue Storm is adopted. But that makes Franklin Storm black as well.

Hmm...

Old 05-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #223
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Does Johnny have to be adopted? There are some cases of women giving birth and one of their children is white and the other one black.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #224
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

oh cool!!!

now lets get Ryan Gosling to play Black Panther and Bradley Cooper as Blade

Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #225
tdeverea
Side-Kick

Quote:
NO that's not at all what I'm saying. And you are assuming a hell of a lot about my opinions of people because of their skin color. I am saying that PURELY AESTHETICALLY Fox is risking damaging how the audience sees the team.

It has nothing to do with who the actor is or how good he is. It has to do with 80 years of comics that tell me that the team looks one way and casting him another way.

I can't believe how hypersensitive people are about race and image on these forums. It's Shailene Woodley all over again. Ugh.

You can't really be surprised by his interpretation of what you said, can you? And you've been using the Internet long enough to know that the entire world is sensitive about race and image. It's not going to change any time soon.

Closed Thread