The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

View Poll Results: Is involving X-Men in the Fantastic Four franchise the right move?
Yeah! Bring it on. Can't spell Fox without an F or X. 17 26.98%
No. Please make this plan go away. 27 42.86%
We'll just have to see what happens. 11 17.46%
All Marvel movies should be compatible. 8 12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Default The film's continuity with the X-Men franchise

There are rumors that the film will be set in the same "Marvel" universe as the X-Men franchise. How will this come about? Will we see a Fantastic Four + X-Men teamup movie? Will Hugh Jackman make a guest appearance in Trank's upcoming movie? I for one think this is a bad idea and I'm curious what others think.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 01-18-2013 at 07:36 PM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
YoungPrime
Banned User

Default Re: The film's continuity with the X-Men franchise

No....

The MCU is where this franchise belongs.

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Airwings
Waves of air

I think it could be a rich "universe" if done so. Imagine mutants alongside F4.
Maybe an even richer and bigger universe than we have seen in Avengers (up to now).

"Do you think you are the only superhero team in the world?"

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Bad idea. The X-verse has a very different tone than most other Marvel series and even in the comics it is hard to incorporate them into the rest of the MU.
With just the FF and the X-Men, two very different franchises, you just can't build a working interconnecting universe the way MS did. It doesn't fit.
Just drop this stupidity and return the rights to FF to MS, where it really belongs, the f*** up the X-verse as much as you want, I don't care

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
JP
Smelly

Franklin will be a mutant.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
I think it could be a rich "universe" if done so. Imagine mutants alongside F4.
Maybe an even richer and bigger universe than we have seen in Avengers (up to now).

"Do you think you are the only superhero team in the world?"
FF: "No, but we're unfortunately the only other superhero team in this world..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Franklin will be a mutant.
THAT would be cool... and if he showed up in X-Men: DOFP as an adult in the future, with Rachel Summers?? I'm sure it's been brought up before in the X-Men forums, but yeah.. could he be the first Fantastic Four character we'll see next?

Last edited by spideymouse; 01-16-2013 at 12:43 PM.
spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Bad idea. The X-verse has a very different tone than most other Marvel series and even in the comics it is hard to incorporate them into the rest of the MU.
With just the FF and the X-Men, two very different franchises, you just can't build a working interconnecting universe the way MS did. It doesn't fit.
Just drop this stupidity and return the rights to FF to MS, where it really belongs, the f*** up the X-verse as much as you want, I don't care
I agree with you. I'd rather see both the FF and the MCU apart from any of the X-verse. While a few parts fit well together (Black Panther/Storm, Captain America/Wolverine, Professor X/Infinity Gems) the majority seems out of whack. I personally believe the x-gene takes away from the uniqueness of superheroes in the MU. Simply put, it overpopulates the universe with superpowers.

Don't get me wrong, X-Men is cool. But its cool on its own. It doesnt need to be apart of the larger universe. Least of all in film. So all that being said, Fantastic Four (if made by Fox) should stay apart from the X-verse like Amazing Spider-Man is apart from Ghost Rider. IF the FF (assuming its done well) and ASM end up having cameos in the MCU, I might be okay with that.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

I think it would be difficult to put a massive universe like X-Men with anything but I am curious to see how this proposed shared universe could work. It could be very cool, I for one wish Fox would make a deal with Marvel Studios so we could have the characters from both franchises appear somehow in the MCU somehow. But I'm not sure want to think about it yet.

How cool would it be to have a Silver Surfer or Galactus cameo in Guardians of the Galaxy?!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Im pretty certain if the ties to x-men are anything more than very subtle i wont give this movie the time of day. The x-verse is fubar imo. Let it rot in piece.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Airwings
Waves of air

So neither Fox (Fantastic 4, X-Men, Daredevil) or Sony (Spider-Man, Ghost Rider) should do team-up movies?
But what if these studios want to follow in the footsteps of Marvel Studios? A team-up has potential to bring in a great deal of money, and that's all (some) studios think of.

Difference in style between characters doesn't really matter. All it takes is to come up with a far fetched explanation how they can exist in the same "world". After all, Iron Man and Thor together doesn't makes sense either at first sight, but it still worked in live action.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Does Sony even view Ghost Rider as being worthy of pursuing anymore?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
If he works together with the cash cow Spider-Man, maybe so.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Time will tell. Lionsgate turned over the Punisher rights pretty quickly after War Zone bombed, but Sony hasn't done so with Ghost Rider despite GR:SOV's poor box office performance. Sony is just coming off of its best year ever at the box office, thanks in large part to Skyfall, TASM and MIB3, and I wonder if the shine of that accomplishment has caused them to want to hold onto the Ghost Rider rights just for the sake of it. It won't cost them anything to do so for a while.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
So neither Fox (Fantastic 4, X-Men, Daredevil) or Sony (Spider-Man, Ghost Rider) should do team-up movies?
But what if these studios want to follow in the footsteps of Marvel Studios? A team-up has potential to bring in a great deal of money, and that's all (some) studios think of.

Difference in style between characters doesn't really matter. All it takes is to come up with a far fetched explanation how they can exist in the same "world". After all, Iron Man and Thor together doesn't makes sense either at first sight, but it still worked in live action.
DD is no longer at Fox thankfully

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Marvel might already have the rights to Ghost Rider & just not have announced it yet. They announced that they owned both Punisher & Blade again at their MCU panel at SDCC.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
Marvel might already have the rights to Ghost Rider & just not have announced it yet. They announced that they owned both Punisher & Blade again at their MCU panel at SDCC.
That's very far fetched. Sony released a Ghost Rider movie last year (2012). Unless Marvel literally bought the rights back, Sony has Ghost Rider for another 6 years at least.

Daredevil is much more likely, but I don't think they've announced it yet. Probably don't want to until they have a plan for him. Wouldn't want to get peoples hopes up for no reason.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
If he works together with the cash cow Spider-Man, maybe so.
I think I could see Ghost Rider existing in the world of TASM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Time will tell. Lionsgate turned over the Punisher rights pretty quickly after War Zone bombed, but Sony hasn't done so with Ghost Rider despite GR:SOV's poor box office performance. Sony is just coming off of its best year ever at the box office, thanks in large part to Skyfall, TASM and MIB3, and I wonder if the shine of that accomplishment has caused them to want to hold onto the Ghost Rider rights just for the sake of it. It won't cost them anything to do so for a while.
I don't understand what Sony would possibly want to do with Ghost Rider at this point, I didn't even think the first film was enough of a financial success to warrant a sequel. I would think after less than stellar installments Sony wouldn't be stingy and give it up. I think if X-Men and FF became constant bombs Fox wouldn't want to hang on to the franchise any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
I had no idea Marvel had the Blade rights back! Thats fantastic! (Although I did like Snipes as Blade)

Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Airwings
Waves of air

Getting Daredvil and Blade back.... does it mean we'll see them in a future Avengers?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Could. Not "will." With all the big hitters in their current roster, I personally think Punisher/Blade/Daredevil might get pushed to the television screen or just the back burner for quite some time.

It's the same argument people have when they say they're okay with Fox and Sony keeping the rights to X-Men/F4/Spider-Man, because otherwise we might not ever see them on the big screen. Or, probably more accurately, we would never see Capam/Thor and Marvel's lesser known franchises adapted. Because they'll have access to the huge names again.

Besides, Punisher/Blade wouldn't make sense as a part of the Avengers team. In the MCU maybe, but not side-by-side with the Avengers. Daredevil might not be quite powerful enough either. But who knows?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Airwings
Waves of air

^ Daredevil could fill in for Black Widow if she is to be killed off, or replaced.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
^ Daredevil could fill in for Black Widow if she is to be killed off, or replaced.
Or Hawkeye, who I wouldn't mind biting the dust. Marvel needs female characters on the big screen IMO.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #22
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Or Hawkeye, who I wouldn't mind biting the dust. Marvel needs female characters on the big screen IMO.
But Daredevil is closer to BW in terms of the bad-ass martial arts style fighting.
Hawkeye is more a Bullseye.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Here is the thing, unless there is a good story reason to put them together in the same movie, none of this really matters too much. I personally don't care if Reed Richards name drops Beast or Johnny Storm name drops Wolverine, none of that makes a movie better or the universe they are trying to create more cohesive. The problem is the franchises in the Avengers and the movies leading up to it had reasons to work together and that the X-Men and FF don't have much interesting shared history.

Last edited by The Overlord; 01-20-2013 at 01:36 AM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #24
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Here is the thing, unless there is a good story reason to put them together in the same movie, none of this really matters too much. I personally don't care if Reed Richards name drops Beast or Johnny Storm name drops Wolverine, none of that makes a movie better or the universe they are trying to create more cohesive. The problems the franchises in the Avengers and the movies leading up to it had reasons to work together, that the X-Men and FF don't have much interesting shared history.
Agreed.

But they DO have an interesting shared possible future, with Franklin Richards in the DOFP storyline. And wasn't he involved in the Onslaught saga?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #25
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Here is the thing, unless there is a good story reason to put them together in the same movie, none of this really matters too much. I personally don't care if Reed Richards name drops Beast or Johnny Storm name drops Wolverine, none of that makes a movie better or the universe they are trying to create more cohesive. The problems the franchises in the Avengers and the movies leading up to it had reasons to work together, that the X-Men and FF don't have much interesting shared history.
Well said .

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote