The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

View Poll Results: Is involving X-Men in the Fantastic Four franchise the right move?
Yeah! Bring it on. Can't spell Fox without an F or X. 17 26.98%
No. Please make this plan go away. 27 42.86%
We'll just have to see what happens. 11 17.46%
All Marvel movies should be compatible. 8 12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #26
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Default Re: The film's continuity with the X-Men franchise

DAYS OF FUTURE PAST would be a good place to introduce the FF into the X-Universe and then spin of the solo movie from that...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #27
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
So neither Fox (Fantastic 4, X-Men, Daredevil) or Sony (Spider-Man, Ghost Rider) should do team-up movies?
But what if these studios want to follow in the footsteps of Marvel Studios? A team-up has potential to bring in a great deal of money, and that's all (some) studios think of.

Difference in style between characters doesn't really matter. All it takes is to come up with a far fetched explanation how they can exist in the same "world". After all, Iron Man and Thor together doesn't makes sense either at first sight, but it still worked in live action.
They would have to be done in a different manner that fits their specific movie universes since neither can be a "team-up" film like the Avengers was due to the nature of the characters. We won't ever see Ghost Rider and Spidey together because...just no. What they could do is a Spider/Venom thing where after the symbiote arc in the film Venom gets his own film series which leads up to a crossover Carnage event or something. That would be cool for Spider-Man.

As far as X-Men and FF go, there are any number of ways to bring them together. Obviously Galactus and SS is one.

Either way, FF can work on its own without being in the MCU and with only the X-Men. If anything, it's the MCU that would benefit from having FF be apart of it, not the other way around. Don't get me wrong, obviously FF works best in the context of the overall Marvel universe because of certain elements, but they're hurting a lot less from not being apart of the MCU than the MCU is hurting without them. For example, the debut of the FF is supposed to be the start of the Age of Heroes in the Marvel Universe; they're in essence the first heroes. This is why Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Avengers all take place after the debut of all these heroes according to Nick Fury. We're missing a chunk of history from the MCU which I assume is being left vacant in the hopes that FF would return to Marvel Studios.

So, with the X-Men, FF merely have to be seen as a sort of antithesis to them in the public's eye. They'd be doing things to better the progression of mankind while the X-Men will be seen as a group that's only interested in mutantkind, unfairly or not. That's really all that's necessary. For the most part I'm pretty sure Fox will just try and focus on getting the films right individually while acknowledging that they take place in the same continuity.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 AM   #28
Ash Talon
Side-Kick

I think the FF will be seen in DOFP. Most likely in the alternate, future reality. Remember Franklin Richards was an adult in the comic version of the storyline. I don't think it's too hard to believe some of the FF may appear in one of the internment camps. They won't really play a huge role in the film, but I can see some of them making an appearance.

Ash Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #29
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Do we even know yet if DOFP will even be based on the DOFP story in the comics? The last movie was titled "First Class" and was nothing like the First Class from the comics.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #30
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
But Daredevil is closer to BW in terms of the bad-ass martial arts style fighting.
Hawkeye is more a Bullseye.
We could have DD teaming up w/BW again

The Ironstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:28 AM   #31
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

i think in the long run, this could work out for the best for Marvel... If X-Men and FF are in a shared universe, it will be easier to incorporate them into the MCU whether this will be from them acquiring the rights back or Fox and Marvel working together,it could be done.

So for example... Instead of rebooting everything, Marvel could just do HOUSE OF M storyline, and the reality that the X-Men, FF and MCU will be in would be one where mutants reigned supreme and everyone would effectively be in one Universe. At the end of the story, only a small population of Mutants survive and they reside in Utopia, therefore the solo films of FF and MCU wouldn't be disrupted and X-Men would effectively be rebooted in the MCU.

So i say do it... Maybe Fox could finally delve into the psychology of mutants and superheroes and why humans fear the former and praise the latter.

They shouldnt cameo random characters in each others films, instead keep their timelines parallel, and have small easter eggs, like news headlines and such...

THE COMING OF GALACTUS could be made for a awesome cross over though, but they dont have to become a new superhero team at the end.

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #32
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

In a dream world, I'd say all in the MMU together. But we're not, so it would be good for the two to be together.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #33
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

I agree

Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #34
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I'm all for it! To an extent.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

maybe they could be mistaken as mutants an attacked by sentinels

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #36
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

The most organic way I can think of to fit the new Fantastic Four into the existing X-verse is to mix source material. Since the FF doesn't have that compelling of an individual rogues gallery aside from Doom, the Silver Surfer, and Galactus, draw on X-Men villains. I think it would be awesome to see the Four take on someone like Mr. Sinister or even Apocalypse, and you could toss in one of the X-Men's human adversaries as well.

You could also use the Shi'ar and tie them to Galactus and the Surfer, which could lead to a big crossover movie at some point in the future.

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #37
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

The main problem with tying in X-Men with Fantastic Four or the rest of the MCU for that matter is the same problem the comics had for decades. It never made much sense why mutants are persecuted while superheroes are loved by everyone. Certain writers have done a good job of explaining the double standard through reasons such as the mutants being a different race that will replace humanity but that is not the justification used for why people hate mutants most of time. If you read most of the X-Men stories in the comics, it seems that the main reason why people have mutants are simply because they have powers. That is it. This seems to be the main factor to why people hate mutants in the X-Men movies too (with the exception of First Class, where the whole "we are a new race here to replace humanity" was actually a main factor in the bigotry against mutants).

Am I saying that it can't be done well? No. Can it be done well? Yes. Will be be easy? No. It will be hard to fit them into the MCU especially since the MCU films have done such a good job of shoving down the idea that this is one big all-connected movie universe into everyone's throats (a criticism I have of all the solo MCU films other than Iron Man and TIH).

As for connecting just the X-Men franchise with the upcoming FF franchise, I don't see the point of having a universe with just 2 properties especially since these properties are completely unrelated and have almost nothing in common. Even a crossover between the X-Men and the Avengers or Spider-Man would make more sense and feel more natural.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #38
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

With this reboot of Fantastic Four, FOX, Bryan Singer, and Mark Millar can address those concerns and issues head-on.

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #39
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
The main problem with tying in X-Men with Fantastic Four or the rest of the MCU for that matter is the same problem the comics had for decades. It never made much sense why mutants are persecuted while superheroes are loved by everyone. Certain writers have done a good job of explaining the double standard through reasons such as the mutants being a different race that will replace humanity but that is not the justification used for why people hate mutants most of time. If you read most of the X-Men stories in the comics, it seems that the main reason why people have mutants are simply because they have powers. That is it. This seems to be the main factor to why people hate mutants in the X-Men movies too (with the exception of First Class, where the whole "we are a new race here to replace humanity" was actually a main factor in the bigotry against mutants).

Am I saying that it can't be done well? No. Can it be done well? Yes. Will be be easy? No. It will be hard to fit them into the MCU especially since the MCU films have done such a good job of shoving down the idea that this is one big all-connected movie universe into everyone's throats (a criticism I have of all the solo MCU films other than Iron Man and TIH).

As for connecting just the X-Men franchise with the upcoming FF franchise, I don't see the point of having a universe with just 2 properties especially since these properties are completely unrelated and have almost nothing in common. Even a crossover between the X-Men and the Avengers or Spider-Man would make more sense and feel more natural.
I'm with you Shikamaru. Especially the bolded. I for one love X-Men but think they make little sense in the MU. I also believe the movie franchise is, so far, below average at best. Compared to the MCU and ASM. I don't blame the X-Verse actors or even the directors though. I blame the writing. They are a clusterf*** and their continuity sucks. I can hope that Wolverine and DofP fixes it, but I still have no drive or desire to see them at this point.

I still say keep them separate. Make F4 the first GOOD marvel film series to come from Fox. And then we'll talk.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 01-28-2013 at 01:48 PM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #40
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

In my opinion, this cross-over between X-Men and FF shouldn't happen. FOX should focus on making good X-Men and FF movies but they don't have to connect them.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #41
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I'm starting to want no connection between the two either.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #42
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I've never wanted a connection. They basically have no commonality in themes and tones. The only reason they work in the same world in the comics, is because it has everything else, too.

As for incorporation into the MCU, the Fantastic Four is easy: just have their origin be new. The X-Men. . . are much, much trickier, given you'd think mutants would have gotten *some* mention to date. You either:

1. have them be a new, or at least new-in-numbers, phenomenon ( requires a lot of tricky reconceptualization from the comics )

2. have them be deeply secret until the present ( rather tough to swallow )

3. have their major plots be set in the past ( 60s and 70s ), with the "mutant issue" largely resolved in decades past ( requires a whole lot of fancy retcons to make work )

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #43
Gabe99
Side-Kick

What Does It Mean That Matthew Vaughn Is Producing The Fantastic Four Reboot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly
Is the Fox Marvelverse already splitting into two?

Mark Millar tonight tweeted:
Quote:
Just off the phone with Fox and some excellent news – Matthew Vaughn is producing Josh Trank’s Fantastic Four reboot!
Vaughn and Millar are, as I’m sure you’re aware, friends and collaborators. It’s not a huge surprise to see Vaughn getting involved here.

But… meanwhile…

Bryan Singer was speaking to IGN when he was asked about “plans for a Disney/Marvel movies approach to the X-Men franchise?”
Quote:
It’s just something we’re thinking about. Really my big focus was this movie. Because it’s really massive, and we’re going to start shooting soon. But we’re talking, [producer] Lauren Shuler Donner and I, and we’ll see.
Note that he’s talking with Shuler Donner, and there’s no mention of Mark Millar.

Now, it’s ridiculous but my own conversation with Singer is held under embargo right now and I can’t tell you what he said to me. But when I can, I will. And it directly addresses Mark Millar’s role in creating a Fox Marvelverse.

And it’s very interesting.

For now, just take the above two incidents as separate but fascinating facets of what the studio have planned. And expect some good things too – again, can’t say too much right now, but they’ve got some great stuff coming.

Last edited by Gabe99; 02-22-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #44
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Hopefully nothing significant.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #45
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Always wanted Vaughn to do F4 anyway. Good news.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #46
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I picked the third option. Fox could make this work, especially with the right producers and directors involved, but they could just as easily mess this up.

Just take a 'wait and see' approach.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #47
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From Motion Captured:
Matthew Vaughn set to produce 'Fantastic Four' reboot at Fox
Is this part of a move by him and Mark Millar to connect all of Fox's Marvel movies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty
Mark Millar and Matthew Vaughn are slowly, surely building a shared filmography that is absolutely positively comic book crazy, and it looks like little by little, they're taking over 20th Century Fox's entire superhero agenda.

When I first talked to Vaughn about Millar's work in the days leading up to his decision to option the rights to "Kick-Ass," it was obvious that Vaughn responded to Millar's storytelling on an almost chemical level. It's not just which stories Millar was telling, but his voice. Vaughn loves to throw a shot to the ribs of propriety whenever he can, and in Millar, he seems to have found a fellow provocateur.

What I respect about Vaughn is the way he's built a very loyal crew that works for him not only when he's directing but also when he's producing. When I was on the set for "Kick-Ass 2," it may have been a Jeff Wadlow film, but I saw the same familiar faces in many of the key technical positions that I've seen on "Stardust" and "Kick-Ass" and "X-Men: First Class." His collaboration with Jane Goldman has been incredibly important to the overall voice of his films, and I would imagine Jane will be part of everything moving forward as long as Hollywood doesn't finally figure out that she's awesome and work her so hard that she's no longer got time to be part of each of Matthew's movies.

And now, with Mark Millar, Vaughn seems to be teaming up on more and more things, and in particular, he's in the mix as Millar spearheads an effort to turn Fox's superhero films into some sort of shared world, or at least a unified approach. "Kick-Ass 2" is coming later this year, and one of the reasons that Vaughn decided against directing the upcoming "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" is because he and Millar are worried that someone's going to make something that might ruin their ability to shoot "Secret Service." They want to get started on that sooner rather than later, and last I heard, that was Vaughn's first priority as a director.

He's still involved as a producer on "X-Men: Days Of Future Past," and now it looks like he's also going to be producing "Fantastic Four," which Josh Trank will be directing. Trank directing "Chronicle," which I think nicely established what sensibility he'll be bringing to the Marvel universe, and Jeremy Slater is set to write the film. You may not be familiar with Slater yet, but his script "Man Of Tomorrow" was about as strong a qualification as anyone could have offered for this particular job, and I know that Slater is a rabid Fantastic Four fan. He loves these characters, and it sounds to me like there's a very strong creative team in place.

With Vaughn and Millar both taking larger and larger roles in Fox's overall superhero plan, it sounds like they're going to be a major part of figuring out how to create an overlapping reality that not only encompasses all of the Marvel properties that Fox owns, but that leaves room for what has become the holy grail for all of the studios in town right now, figuring out a way to cross their properties over into the world of "The Avengers." I would love to be in a room and hear the discussions about how Sony and Fox and anyone else holding a Marvel character plan to make the most of that in the very near future.

For now, though, Fox just wants to make sure that the things they still own all work, and that audiences genuinely want to see as ongoing series. Sure, they managed to make two "Fantastic Four" films, but they both felt like contractual obligations, without a hint of the wit or the life that are certainly possible with the characters. It seems to me that "Fantastic Four" should be an even bigger, poppier, right down the middle mainstream entertainment than the "Spider-Man" films. I have always felt like "Fantastic Four" should be fun, and I didn't think the two films that Tim Story made were fun in any way.

Finding a way to make a "Fantastic Four" that sets its own tone and somehow also will manage to connect to the world that Bryan Singer's "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" sounds like it is creating won't be easy, and I doubt it'll be that direct. I can't imagine they're going to spend a lot of energy making the connections explicit right off the bat. What it sounds like they're doing is making sure there is an overall integrity and reality that will sign these as Fox's movies, and Vaughn is part of that creative team that's going to be defining what that means.

Right now, "Fantastic Four" is set for release on March 6, 2015, and I think it's going to be one of the most interesting of the superhero films currently in development. I am positively desperate to see the first image of the team, of the Thing, of the world itself, because I have faith we're going to see something new, and I hope worth the wait.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #48
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Just had a thought:

DOFP can be used to 'explain' the FF reboot.

The time-travelling's butterfly effect causes differences (like all the discrepencies in Xmen First Class), causing people to be born earlier (like Emma Frost, Moira, etc) and thus recast.

Perhaps this will happen for the FF characters as well. The time travelling causes them to be born earlier, in the 40's, and the FF movie will take place in the 70's along with the Xmen franchise.

The 70's setting gives an obvious break from the original movies and gives these movies more of an identity to help them standout in the over-saturated superhero genre.

FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #49
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Where does this unholy fascination with the 70s come from? Setting FC in the 60s barely made sense, especially when the film ignored everything interesting and innovative from that decade and made everything generic and bland. But the 70s, the era of polyester and disco, were a vast cultural wasteland. The only explanation for it I can think of is that Fox's minions have given up on the idea of creating anything decent set in the present, so they're reaching back into the past in the hope that the age of room-sized computers and cathode ray tubes will be kinder to their low-tech offerings.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #50
Marathon
Side-Kick

...and then there were Four Fantastic X-Men...

Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote