Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #351
josh8
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I'm betting on Xavier. His mind is already used to traveling into another body. A telepath could send old Xavier's mind into young Xavier's mind... my idea is he could receive it via the new Cerebro Magneto helps him build! Ties up a that loose end too.
I've thought about that and it does seem like the logical way to go and it would be believable. But someone pointed out a while ago that we just got to know McAvoy's Xavier and he's just starting to become the Xavier that we know and love. For future Xavier to just take over his mind would mean that all the stuff that young Xavier went through in FC and should be going through in DOFP would be lost.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #352
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

From what Singer says, it seems like the time travel will depend more on mutant powers rather than, say, a time machine. So unless they introduce a brand new character with time-travelling powers, Charles with his powers to me seems to be the likeliest candidate.

I really don't like the idea of old!Charles taking over young!Charles, but how about young!Charles travelling into the future instead? Or a scenario where there's some kind of short-term mindswap, rather than mind possession? I can see some additional benefits to it as well:

- If someone from FC era actually experiences the dystopian future first-hand, it creates rather more urgency and motivation than if they were just told about it.

- Since young!Charles has no clue who some of the characters in the future are, it's also a good chance to introduce or re-introduce them to the viewers who 1) have not seen the original trilogy or all the films in it or 2) don't remember characters like Kitty all that well. X3 was 7 years ago, there will be those viewers. In my FC audiences, everyone reacted to the Wolverine cameo, barely anyone reacted to Rebecca's cameo.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #353
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
I've thought about that and it does seem like the logical way to go and it would be believable. But someone pointed out a while ago that we just got to know McAvoy's Xavier and he's just starting to become the Xavier that we know and love. For future Xavier to just take over his mind would mean that all the stuff that young Xavier went through in FC and should be going through in DOFP would be lost.
SO MUCH THIS. This is why I'm so terrified of this being the route we take. Of all the characters in First Class and X1-3, he is the one most deserving of some serious development in this movie. If they just make him Patrick Stewart, it will be such a colossal waste. I DO like the idea of the old men visiting their younger counterparts, but not taking over. If they were to SHARE, I'd be okay with that. If youngCharles is already dealing with his tragedies and suddenly he's got this other voice in his head telling him he's himself from the future, that might be an interesting take. But total takeover or swap? PLEEEEEEEEASE no. It'd wreck all the fantastic character potential this film might actually still have. I can't be the only one who wants to see the new kind of tension between Charles/Erik. I have my fingers tightly crossed for a scene where Erik learns the extent of the damage the bullet caused. I doubt that'll happen but I need something to hold onto when it comes to this blasted movie.

Sentinels and time travel are cool and all but let's not forget that what made XMFC so great was its favoring of character development over action sequences.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #354
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Hell, I'm still wondering on how they'll take account to cleaning up the continuity mess that's present within this franchise since First Class went about ignoring the events of Origins and X3, but now with Singer having Ellen's Kitty coming back along with saying that he's not ignoring those two films, where do we go from here?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #355
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
But someone pointed out a while ago that we just got to know McAvoy's Xavier and he's just starting to become the Xavier that we know and love. For future Xavier to just take over his mind would mean that all the stuff that young Xavier went through in FC and should be going through in DOFP would be lost.
But I already love McAvoy's Xavier.

You're so right, though...the more I learn about the...err...sequel, the more I'm convinced that there will be no further character development to the First Class team. It'll be practically impossible, with such a large cast and ambitious storyline; they will be just part of the general action, with touches of characterization here and there.. I fear it'll be like "well, everybody knows that Charles is paralyzed and teaching young mutants, everybody knows that Magneto formed his Brotherhood and Mystique is with him and they are opposing Charles' views, so let's not waste more time with fractured relationships and personal issues, on with the business".

Charles Xavier's characterization will obviously suffer the most in that scenario. It'll be awful not to see the transition from the young professor, struggling with his new condition while trying to set his school to the older, inspirational leader of the X-Men. I think that Mystique is problematic too; any transformation from Raven to a cold-blooded hench(woman) that doesn't touch on her previous relationship with Charles will look fake to the FC audience.

I like Bryan and X2 is to this date my favorite X-film, but First Class showed so much potential on its own...I wish they would wait a bit more to do a X4.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #356
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
I understand and agree, so it would need to be imo, a mind merging kind of thing. Like he's still young Xavier, but he has older Xavier's memories. Maybe not all of them, maybe not all at once either. And then his hair can start falling out as a result.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #357
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Hell, I'm still wondering on how they'll take account to cleaning up the continuity mess that's present within this franchise since First Class went about ignoring the events of Origins and X3, but now with Singer having Ellen's Kitty coming back along with saying that he's not ignoring those two films, where do we go from here?
Ive read Singer words, I get his point.... but at the same time he hasnt revealed yet if the future will be the same timeline or it will be an alternate universe.

So having Ellen Page back doesnt mean it will be the same universe, the same with the other returning actors.

Singer discussed with Cameron about multiverses, time travel and all of that, so..... we shouldnt left that possibility out yet

Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #358
Dangerman
the end is nigh

Am I the only one hoping that Days of Future past will fix most of the things X3 did?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #359
night0205
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerman View Post
Am I the only one hoping that Days of Future past will fix most of the things X3 did?
Nah, many people are hoping it completely erases X3. I think that would be a waste of a movie. Counterproductive as it were.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #360
Dangerman
the end is nigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0205 View Post
Nah, many people are hoping it completely erases X3. I think that would be a waste of a movie. Counterproductive as it were.
Well I am hoping it at least fixes the problems with Cyclops and Professor X.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #361
psyonic
X-Man

I just want a better transition for Jean into Dark Phoenix

Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #362
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
I just want a better transition for Jean into Dark Phoenix
I kind of doubt that they'll try to retread the Dark Phoenix storyline anytime soon, even if they were to end up fixing the character.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #363
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
They should've had Phoenix as the major storyline. Was that not a big enough threat for the X-Men to face?
Yeah, but we definitely need to move on from the Phoenix stuff.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #364
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

I wouldn't mind Jean showing up if they decide to do a AOA adaption after DOTFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #365
hawkeye27
Side-Kick

Singer did mention that there were some things to fix from the movies for DOFP. He didn't name Last Stand specifically but I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. Most likely he means the stuff about the cure but maybe he is including Cyclops and Phoenix. Plus the things about multi-universes and that conversation he had with Cameron.

Maybe he will mention that Phoenix happening and killing Cyclops happened in a different universe. Maybe?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #366
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye27 View Post
Singer did mention that there were some things to fix from the movies for DOFP. He didn't name Last Stand specifically but I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. Most likely he means the stuff about the cure but maybe he is including Cyclops and Phoenix. Plus the things about multi-universes and that conversation he had with Cameron.

Maybe he will mention that Phoenix happening and killing Cyclops happened in a different universe. Maybe?
We'll see. It would help to prove to us that he values Cyclops more than he has shown thus far. But I don't know if anyone is holding their breath.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #367
hawkeye27
Side-Kick

True. I'm leaning more towards him fixing the stuff about the cure than him fixing the Cyclops situation.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #368
PikaZeroX
Side-Kick

The cure doesn't really need cleaning up though, seeing as it was implied that Magneto is getting his powers back at the end of X3. Total waste of a plot device, but hey, free lunch.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #369
night0205
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaZeroX View Post
The cure doesn't really need cleaning up though, seeing as it was implied that Magneto is getting his powers back at the end of X3. Total waste of a plot device, but hey, free lunch.
It wasn't a waste of a plot device. Plot devices are meant to make the character respond in their own way. The cure did that, it may not actually work, but they didn't know that. Rogue didn't know she would get her powers back when she chose it, neither did Magneto who it was forced upon. Beast didn't know it wouldn't work either when he was tempted to take it and rejected it, and then shoved it forcefully into Magneto's chest. It was not a waste, in fact I think it was a very effective plot device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerman View Post
Well I am hoping it at least fixes the problems with Cyclops and Professor X.
And what exactly needs fixing about Cyclops and Professor X? Professor X is in his twin brothers body, and Cyclops was killed by the Phoenix. Just because you didn't want him to die, doesn't mean it's something the filmmakers have to fix.

Last edited by night0205; 01-29-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #370
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

all the stuff about the cure will probably be explained by prof X in a voice over at start of film, quickly get it out the way by saying it didn't work ect ect

Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #371
def28
Side-Kick

Rogue wasnt doing anything with her powers for three movies anyways haha.

Only person who really got screwed compared to the other films cause of the cure was Mystique.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #372
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I just re-read the interview with Claremont from the God Loves, Man Kills TPB. He is praising X2 and Singer with the adaptation of GLMK. Saying he thought it was a shame Singer left for Superman as he would have loved to see him do X3 too. I bet Claremont is excited now, when Singer is adapting his beloved DOFP!

Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #373
Cagefighterkip
Mr. Golightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I bet Claremont is excited now, when Singer is adapting his beloved DOFP!
Let's hope so. Apparently Claremont was super happy with the Japan-centric WOLVERINE 2 script, hopefully he's equally impressed with X-MEN: DOFP.

Children are not born conservative bigots. They're molded to become them by their elders. Let's leave the world a better place, people.

Love and let love. Live and let live. #NOH8
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #374
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Isn't it great how Claremont wrote all the best X-Men books that are the basis to most of the movies

Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #375
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Unfortunately he hasn't had the same name recognition in Hollywood as other comic book writers whose work has been adapted to film. Think Frank Miller, Mark Millar (ugh).

Closed Thread