The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: What thematic style should the Dr. Strange take?
Sci-Fi/Action 5 7.69%
Horror/Suspense 17 26.15%
Fantasy 36 55.38%
Other 7 10.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #101
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: What "style" should the Dr. Strange movie be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
Steve Ditko style...
...is not a thematic style for film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
In a lot of ways a Dr. Strange movie would be sort of like Batman Begins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Lovecraftian style with a Indian Jones kind of lightness to it
This is warm, close to where I think it should be. I think a fantasy version of Indiana Jones would be ideal.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #102
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Lovecraftian style with a Indian Jones kind of lightness to it
This is the best I've read so far. Maybe add a twist of Fullmetal Alchemist too.

I'd love to see an adaptation of Dr Doom and Dr Strange's team-up (Triumph and Torment). Does Fox still own Doom?

Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #103
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren View Post
This is the best I've read so far. Maybe add a twist of Fullmetal Alchemist too.

I'd love to see an adaptation of Dr Doom and Dr Strange's team-up (Triumph and Torment). Does Fox still own Doom?
Very much. Doom's tied into the FF rights. Though we don't know whether or not Doom will be involved, the awful sounding (thus far) FF reboot should be beginning production shortly according to a couple of reports.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #104
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Very much. Doom's tied into the FF rights. Though we don't know whether or not Doom will be involved, the awful sounding (thus far) FF reboot should be beginning production shortly according to a couple of reports.
I don't believe that until it happens.
Fox MIGHT get there act together, but knowing that studio, I doubt it.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #105
Spider - Man
Banned User

I've always imagined Strange done in an atmospheric noir style. Lots of use of shadow on the faces and scenery. Some smoke or fog. It needs to have an otherworldly eerie feel. I see most of the colors washed out but his cloak should show bright red and yellow against the muted other colors in the real world, Tibet for example. The alternate worlds, by contrast, should be brightly lit with odd colors and lighting techniques and the look of Ditko's work should be captured as much as possible. But even here, the use of shadow would be important as it was important to ALL of Ditko's work.

Spider - Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #106
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren View Post

I think the rules of Dr Strange should be more cryptic than Fullmetal Alchemist's. I hope they get creative with the visuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #107
Dasher10
Side-Kick

I'd love to see it be some sort of really trippy surreal horror flick. Doctor Strange has the potential to capture people's imaginations like nothing before it. Think of it as a horror version of Avatar but without the cliche plot and with visuals that are really, really bizarre. What frightens me the most is that Doctor Strange might just be a standard superhero flick and not the pop culture phenomenon that it COULD become.

My preferred director is Pascal Laugier who's able to make a really trippy horror film. Like if this movie totally makes sense to me and doesn't have all sorts of trippy symbolic visuals everywhere, I'd probably be let down. Keep it inspired by Steve Ditko and make it one of the biggest head trips of all time. Think a combination of Zardoz, Mulhalland Drive and Jacob's Ladder.

Last edited by Dasher10; 08-08-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Dasher10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #108
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I'd love to see it be some sort of really trippy surreal horror flick. Doctor Strange has the potential to capture people's imaginations like nothing before it. Think of it as a horror version of Avatar but without the cliche plot and with visuals that are really, really bizarre. What frightens me the most is that Doctor Strange might just be a standard superhero flick and not the pop culture phenomenon that it COULD become.

My preferred director is Pascal Laugier who's able to make a really trippy horror film. Like if this movie totally makes sense to me and doesn't have all sorts of trippy symbolic visuals everywhere, I'd probably be let down. Keep it inspired by Steve Ditko and make it one of the biggest head trips of all time. Think a combination of Zardoz, Mulhalland Drive and Jacob's Ladder.
We'll no what direction Marvel takes this when they make a decision on the director. I want something completely different for Dr. Strange. Anything but a superhero flick. If they bring another run of the mill director, I'll have no interest watching this.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #109
Spider - Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post

To add to this, I remember Copolla saying when he made Dracula how physics don't apply in the presence of Dracula...shadows behave oddly, water runs uphill, etc. In that movie, Dracula left the room, closed the door...and then his shadow slipped out of the room under the door. That's the sort of stuff that should happen in the presence of a man who has handled arcane occult powers as Strange has. I also remember the cover of the first Illuminati comic. The look of Strange's eyes looked...well, strange. It made me think that someone who would have seen things that Strange had seen would do something to the eyes.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #110
marcvader
Lurker #1

Guys, sorry to tell ya but you're setting yourselves up for disappointment. It's not going to be radically different to what we've seen and will look like it's part of the MCU.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #111
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

As long as they don't do magic like Harry Potter I'll be able to watch it. While both Dr. Strange and HP are about guys who do magic they are(or should be) fundamentally different in their approaches to how they portray magic. In a lot of ways HP was like Star Trek just with the pseudo-science replaced by magic. Very standard nerdy, equation like. A+B=C. Strange should have more of an air of the mystical and the mysterious to it. Bit of horror as well if possible.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #112
Lord
All Mighty

By the way, what villains and arc should the film adapt? I think the most probable choice would be to have Mordo and Dormammu as the villain, similar to that long arc during Strange Tales where both villains team up.

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #113
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
By the way, what villains and arc should the film adapt? I think the most probable choice would be to have Mordo and Dormammu as the villain, similar to that long arc during Strange Tales where both villains team up.
Oh you know it'll be an origin story involving those two.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #114
SpiderCool
Side-Kick

I see Dr. Strange more as one of those philosophy doctors than a medical one.

SpiderCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #115
gkokujin
Side-Kick

I am game for anything except his magic just being "science we don't understand"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #116
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Guys, sorry to tell ya but you're setting yourselves up for disappointment. It's not going to be radically different to what we've seen and will look like it's part of the MCU.
This is what makes me think the Indiana Jones-y approach might be more likely, as someone mentioned here earlier. Only thing is they already tried it with the first Cap movie.

IMO, when looking at directors for Marvel movies they pick the people with a specific talent that relates to an aspect of the film.

Shane Black - buddy cop movies - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Joss Whedon - ensemble and geek work - Firefly, Buffy, Serenity
Alan Taylor - Epic fantasy - Game of Thrones
James Gunn - Weird, wacky comedy - Slither, Super

So, idk who could direct. For example, since Marvel has now picked three (technically four) TV directors for their movies, I'd look at TV. If a big element of this is going to be medical drama, look towards prominent directors in House. Or, my choice in that scenario would be Jack Bender. He's only ever done TV but he did tons of Lost (which I loved) and that already had the medical aspect with Jack's character, and the strange/mysterious fantasy of the Island.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #117
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

If Dormammu is involved, I suspect his head will not be on fire until the climax.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #118
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
If Dormammu is involved, I suspect his head will not be on fire until the climax.
Then what would his head be for the rest of the film?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #119
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkokujin View Post
I am game for anything except his magic just being "science we don't understand"
agreed 100%. I want his magic to be MAGIC. I'd also like to see more of that in Thor this time around, but I don't think we will.

seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #120
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
agreed 100%. I want his magic to be MAGIC. I'd also like to see more of that in Thor this time around, but I don't think we will.
Hell yes. I'm more or less dealing with it in Thor, although they aren't making it easy for me what with Dark Elves flying around in spaceships and carrying laser rifles and all.

Doc Strange, though, I hope to see full on occult tomes, spells, supernatural beasties, etc.

As far as tone I'd be happy with action/adventure crossed with dark fantasy/horror and a dash of Lovecraftian flavor, as other have said. Giant tentacles or bust!

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #121
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Hell yes. I'm more or less dealing with it in Thor, although they aren't making it easy for me what with Dark Elves flying around in spaceships and carrying laser rifles and all.
I can excuse it on Thor only when I remind myself of Kirby's Asgard. It isn't my favorite aesthetic/version for Thor, but like you, I can give it a pass.

Quote:
Doc Strange, though, I hope to see full on occult tomes, spells, supernatural beasties, etc.
Exactly, exactly, exactly.

Quote:
As far as tone I'd be happy with action/adventure crossed with dark fantasy/horror and a dash of Lovecraftian flavor, as other have said. Giant tentacles or bust!
This is why I haven't voted in the poll. I can't pick, I just want to find the right balance among all the choices.

seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #122
Victarion
Cut

Magepunk.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #123
metaphysician
Side-Kick

*resists urge to go on another 'magic and science are not diametric' rant*

metaphysician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #124
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
*resists urge to go on another 'magic and science are not diametric' rant*
You should never ever resist the urge to condescend at people. Please explain to us why our pitiful opinions are wrong!

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #125
Spider - Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
You should never ever resist the urge to condescend at people. Please explain to us why our pitiful opinions are wrong!
I think he just wanted to try and impress everyone with his use of the word 'diametric'. Real magic and magic tricks aren't necessarily mutually exclusive either but I don't think anyone wants to see a Strange movie where we discover that all of his 'magic' is just slight of hand. Why then would we want to substitute that with 'science'? Summoning the Vapors of Vaaltor with an incantation has nothing to do with science and therefore, in that example, magic and science ARE diametric.

Last edited by Spider - Man; 08-13-2013 at 10:46 AM.