The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Frontier
Arkham Asylum Inmate

Default Nods to "Smallville" or Just Wishful Thinking?

I know "Smallville" isn't beloved by all, and is in fact even controversial to some. But as it was the longest-running series to feature Clark Kent (et all other names) and is fairly recent in memory, I'm just wondering if any small choices where done as subtle nods to it - or if it's just wishful thinking and coincidence + common source material.

Things like how the school bus went off a bridge the same way Lex went off a bridge in the "Smallville" pilot.

How the unknown-to-human-science metal key to the ship Clark came here in was kept in a tool-box in the barn.

The work-shop outside of which Clark was being bullied was named "Sullivan" - common enough name, but made me think of Chloe.

And this one is reaching I know but, the tornado scene compared to the tornado in the season 1 "Smallville" finale.

Also, 3 actors who appeared in "Smallville" to various degrees (Amy Adams just 1 episode, Tahmoh Penikett was in 2 I think and Alessandro Guiliani played Emile Hamilton in like 30-40 episodes) had bit parts in the film. Though that could just be casting and location - the later two lived/worked in Vancouver for the past decade and part of the film was shot there.

Like I said, it could just be coincidence and/or wishful thinking and/or common source material. Or it could be a very subtle nod.

Last edited by Frontier; 06-14-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: Nods to "Smallville" or Just Wishful Thinking?

I would only say the names Sullivan and Fordman where the only nods to Smallville.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
molp
Side-Kick

And also the main scientist on zod's ship played the aged Lex clone in season 10

molp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Andreth
Side-Kick

Sullivan was the Lois and Clark apartment address in the comics. That's where the SV creators got their inspiration first.
1938 Sullivan Street.

But it was great to see all the actors from Smallville. Especially Alessandro playing Emil's assistant

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Andreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
Sullivan was the Lois and Clark apartment address in the comics. That's where the SV creators got their inspiration first.
1938 Sullivan Street.

But it was great to see all the actors from Smallville. Especially Alessandro playing Emil's assistant
The idea that Smallville was named after Erza Small came from the show though right?

This image was actually taken from the MOS set:

Ponder this, CB fans: In a fictional world where the limits and laws of time and space are pushed every day; where mystical convergences and otherworldly phenomena are the norm; where we are to believe that "a man can fly" and emit beams of concussive force from his eyes, why is it then so difficult to fathom that, in such a place, there also exists a rare breed of man capable of extraordinary feats beyond that of his ken -- the peak human realized in the form of Bruce Wayne, The Batman?
-Arms
ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
The idea that Smallville was named after Erza Small came from the show though right?
I honestly have no idea, I only watched the last seasons. I don't know much of the show's history.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Andreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Sullivan being in Smallville, as opposed to Metropolis, is a nod to Smallville, as well as casting Hamilton as Hamilton's assistant. "The Fordman boy" is a dead giveaway. Goyer is a Smallville fan. Go figure.

The bridge and tornado are more coincidences. There are only so many life threatening situations you can get into in a small Kansas town.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Yeah, it was awesome. Also despite how some fans view the show - even comic writers drew inspiration from there, such as BIRTH RIGHT for example who's Jonathan Kent is drawn almost exactly like John Schneider.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by molp View Post
And also the main scientist on zod's ship played the aged Lex clone in season 10
Pretty sure that's just a coincidence due to the fact that it's easy to see the same Canadian actors in various shows and films shot up there. I mean, the dude that played Dan Turpin was in it too and his role was fairly small as well.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
jsi23
Side-Kick

Not that this is a nod to Smallville but wasn't some of Man of Steel shot in the same city as Smallville.

jsi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
The Guard
Side-Kick

I think there was some definite SMALLVILLE influence in places.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Never saw the show but am aware of some of its incredibly outrageous changes to the Superman myth.

I even found MoS had references to STM and all, go figure.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
storyteller
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I know "Smallville" isn't beloved by all, and is in fact even controversial to some. But as it was the longest-running series to feature Clark Kent (et all other names) and is fairly recent in memory, I'm just wondering if any small choices where done as subtle nods to it - or if it's just wishful thinking and coincidence + common source material.

Things like how the school bus went off a bridge the same way Lex went off a bridge in the "Smallville" pilot.

How the unknown-to-human-science metal key to the ship Clark came here in was kept in a tool-box in the barn.

The work-shop outside of which Clark was being bullied was named "Sullivan" - common enough name, but made me think of Chloe.

And this one is reaching I know but, the tornado scene compared to the tornado in the season 1 "Smallville" finale.

Also, 3 actors who appeared in "Smallville" to various degrees (Amy Adams just 1 episode, Tahmoh Penikett was in 2 I think and Alessandro Guiliani played Emile Hamilton in like 30-40 episodes) had bit parts in the film. Though that could just be casting and location - the later two lived/worked in Vancouver for the past decade and part of the film was shot there.

Like I said, it could just be coincidence and/or wishful thinking and/or common source material. Or it could be a very subtle nod.

- I think a car crash into a river is a very common trope in general. It adds another level of danger. So not a nod.

- .........well many people keep things in tool boxes in what is basically a garage for a farmer. So not a nod.

- Maybe

- Well on the one hand they are BSG actors and they appear in stuff a lot. On the other hand I can't see how they had Guiliani in that particular scene with Emil. That had to be deliberate.

For the most part it's just stuff people do or a common trope. But that last thing had to be deliberate.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
vantheman77
Side-Kick

Looks like a passing of the torch from Smallville to Man of Steel in terms of Dr. Emil Hamilton.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote