The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 AM   #601
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
The spill.com thing that Kane was/is talking about regarding the guy having given his guess on what he thinks MOS's plot is about.
Oh just go to the site, and on the 5th item on the carousel you see LEOG. Click on the link and start the podcast player, it starts around the 161:00 time.

I would post the link but don't want to get infracted for it.

Oh keep in mind I believe he's only done this once and that was for TDKR.

Spill

Old 01-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #602
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Par

I actually just found it after skimming through it; but thanks for taking the time to post the info.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 AM   #603
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
I actually just found it after skimming through it; but thanks for taking the time to post the info.
Ha same. Listened to it. Clark being a nomad up north does make sense if he is trying to quell his super-hearing. He says Clark will become Superman and get taken in by the army as the low point of the film. Then they will turn to him as their only hope when Zod arrives. I don't see it happening that way, but he's clearly just guessing and doesn't know as much as we do (he said Clark will find a crystal in Alaska for his Fortress...).

Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 AM   #604
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Ha same. Listened to it. Clark being a nomad up north does make sense if he is trying to quell his super-hearing. He says Clark will become Superman and get taken in by the army as the low point of the film. Then they will turn to him as their only hope when Zod arrives. I don't see it happening that way, but he's clearly just guessing and doesn't know as much as we do (he said Clark will find a crystal in Alaska for his Fortress...).
Agreed; and I personally don't believe (or at least hope.lo) that Clark will come off as essentially Peter Parker from "Spider-Man 2" where he views being a hero or doing heroic things as a curse or a burden onto him.

I'm hopeful that with Goyer's comments and other interviews that Superman will be presented as the kind of person is a good person at heart and would help people whenever he can because of his innate goodness. Sure, it'll still be a difficult journey, due to the fears and pressures that he must have, but I don't think he'll react as though he were Peter Parker.

On another note, I really hope that we get some beautiful/great night shots of seeing the buildings light up at night as Superman is on a rooftop or something; I've been wanting to see a visual like that for the longest time but never got it in SR. (I wasn't a fan of how the city looked in some shots of the background; it was missing something)

Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #605
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed; and I personally don't believe (or at least hope.lo) that Clark will come off as essentially Peter Parker from "Spider-Man 2" where he views being a hero or doing heroic things as a curse or a burden onto him.

I'm hopeful that with Goyer's comments and other interviews that Superman will be presented as the kind of person is a good person at heart and would help people whenever he can because of his innate goodness. Sure, it'll still be a difficult journey, due to the fears and pressures that he must have, but I don't think he'll react as though he were Peter Parker.

On another note, I really hope that we get some beautiful/great night shots of seeing the buildings light up at night as Superman is on a rooftop or something; I've been wanting to see a visual like that for the longest time but never got it in SR. (I wasn't a fan of how the city looked in some shots of the background; it was missing something)
Exactly. The way they all groaned in the podcast when they thought this was going to be another film about a hero not wanting to be a hero. Basically if there is a single moment in MOS where Clark is reluctant or hesitant to help save lives then they failed the very core of the character.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #606
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Exactly. The way they all groaned in the podcast when they thought this was going to be another film about a hero not wanting to be a hero. Basically if there is a single moment in MOS where Clark is reluctant or hesitant to help save lives then they failed the very core of the character.
Agreed; heck, for those who have watched the animated film "Superman vs the Elite", I think that represents a good balance of showcasing the heart of Superman's inner/universal traits that he's known for while modernizing him as well.

And "Birthright" and "Secret Origins" are other good examples of how to go about approaching him being confused on where he fits in the world while making him still innately good and willing to help people whenever it calls for it.

I know that I don't ever want to see him coming across a guy getting mugged and just walking away from it like Peter Parker did in Spider-Man 2.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #607
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed; heck, for those who have watched the animated film "Superman vs the Elite", I think that represents a good balance of showcasing the heart of Superman's inner/universal traits that he's known for while modernizing him as well.

And "Birthright" and "Secret Origins" are other good examples of how to go about approaching him being confused on where he fits in the world while making him still innately good and willing to help people whenever it calls for it.

I know that I don't ever want to see him coming across a guy getting mugged and just walking away from it like Peter Parker did in Spider-Man 2.
Even if Clark was powerless he would intervene in this case. It's just his very nature. And it's why he's the best!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #608
GreenKToo
In the fire

I don't really mind if Clark is somewhat fearful of his powers at first, but I dont think I would like it if they went the spidey route and made him a reluctant hero,
''woe is me, I just want to be normal'', OR, ''why do I have to be the ''one''.. etc etc...Thats NOT Superman, at all.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 01-26-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #609
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I don't really mind if Clark is somewhat fearful of his powers at first, but I dont think I would like it if they went the spidey route and made him a reluctant hero,
''woe is me, I just want to be normal'', ''why do I have to be the ''one'' etc etc...Thats NOT Superman, at all.
If the story behind Jonathan Kent's demise is true, it will be tragic for Clark but narratively perfect.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
A storm hitting Smallville and Clark deciding not to use his powers, with Jonathan dying as a result.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #610
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
If the story behind Jonathan Kent's demise is true, it will be tragic for Clark but narratively perfect.
A storm hitting Smallville and Clark deciding not to use his powers, with Jonathan dying as a result.
What if they go with a new take on that classic scenario where:

Clark does use his powers to help the civilians that he can during that Tornado, but is unable to reach Pa Kent in time, thus making Clark feel so guilty and helpless; where despite all of his powers and all of the people that he saved, he couldn't save his father, thus making Clark go into exile or forbids himself from using any of his powers and that this prohibition lasts until he comes across the oil rig incident.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #611
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:

Clark does use his powers to help the civilians that he can during that Tornado, but is unable to reach Pa Kent in time, thus making Clark feel so guilty and helpless; where despite all of his powers and all of the people that he saved, he couldn't save his father, thus making Clark go into exile or forbids himself from using any of his powers and that this prohibition lasts until he comes across the oil rig incident.
Yeah i'd prefer that.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #612
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Yeah i'd prefer that.
Seconded.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #613
protocida
Side-Kick

It's pretty much that.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #614
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:

Hope that's exactly how it happens

Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #615
Project862006
Banned User

i like it no matter how hard he tries he cant abandon his calling

Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #616
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:

I like it

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 01-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #617
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

Quote:

sounds about right, I could see Snyder go that direction

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #618
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:

why must the hero feel guilty? that he is the reason why his father,mother died? i saw movies like this 10 years ago. thats maybe new for superman in 2013 but not enough IMO.

i would like something more original.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #619
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:

that would be better.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #620
STARMAN
Side-Kick

As long as Jonathan Kent dies I'm happy.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #621
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Why does he always have to die? I like Pa Kent alive.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #622
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
why must the hero feel guilty? that he is the reason why his father,mother died? i saw movies like this 10 years ago. thats maybe new for superman in 2013 but not enough IMO.

i would like something more original.
Also, isn't that what happened in STM, he couldn't save his dad so he essentially exhiled himself to find out who he is?

"All those things I can do. All those powers. And I couldn't even save him."

Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #623
protocida
Side-Kick

That's part of Superman.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #624
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Count me in as another one who wants Jonathan Kent to live... Maybe have him pass away in a sequel, but not in the first movie.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #625
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Superman: The first guilty superhero.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Closed Thread